• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People Who Walk/Exist In Public While Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Vaping is explicitly banned indoors in most places, same as smoking. It doesn't seem like it would be a big problem outdoors. It doesn't linger like cig smoke does.

Cig smoke closes my throat. I wish those things were illegal.

Z..

They don't even know why this bothers them. It's not logical

I doubt this is true. If it is, it's about as silly as my grandma getting all uncomfortable and rolling her eyes at gay couples holding hands.

There must be something logical about why it bothers people, I just don't get what it is from the posts here.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah a lot of people need to chill about shit that doesn't affect them or anyone else and stop being so whiny. They don't even know why this bothers them. It's not logical, like with the stench and health risks of cigarettes. It's just icky to them because now they know they are breathing someone else's breath. In small enclosed spaces and places that visibility is a concern I can see the problem.

"Just deal with my clouds of stink, it's not even bad for you, loser!"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It seems to have calmed down a bit lately. A couple years ago it was an every day occurrence. Now ive gone months without even seeing a vape let alone someone letting off a gigantic dense vapor cloud in the store.

.JayZii

Banned
Is there any actual scientific evidence behind vaping causing cancer and more importantly second hand vape causing serious health risk to other people?

I am genuinely curious. I vaped for about 6 months but it was a means to an end to stop smoking and i only ever did it out back on my property or in my car i could never bring myself to do it walking around in public
It seems pretty under researched, especially the long term effects. It's still rude to blow smoke in someone's face whether it's ostensibly safe or not.

I think I'll go around burping into people's lungs. No harm done, right?
Did you misread my post? It sounds like you did.

Gawge

Absolutely hate being near people who smoke in public. When you're walking behind someone smoking, and you are forced to back off, or speed over-take because it's gross af.

Vaping I really couldn't care less about. It has a far far lower reach than cigarette smoke, it lingers a lot less, and the smell ranges from nice to a bit weird.

Hoo-doo

Banned
at least it doesn't cause cancer.

and yeah other people can be annoying. it would be great if they would stop.

Let's wait a few years before claiming this. It's too early to call.

The overvolting and subohming and whatnot that people do to tune their 'vape rigz' has already shown to emit incredibly harmful chemicals in early papers.
It's not 'just' vapor, and results vary wildly when vape lyfe tryhards basically start overclocking their vaporizers.

I'm fine with it. I think putting up with small inconveniences is what living in a society is all about. Encouraging vaping by letting them do it indoors will help take people off cigarettes which I think is a net positive. Cigarette smoke is significantly more off-putting and it harms children and makes it harder to breathe in it's prescence. Whereas Vape produces water vapour which might smell bad (but usually imo it smells quite pleasant) but at least you know it is not harming you.

I don't smoke/vape but I am happy when I see someone vape and not smoke.

Vape smoke doesn't bother me because it doesn't stink like weed or cigarettes.

I'd rather a guy vaping in front of me as I walk in NYC than ciggs where I gotta speed up and get upwind of that shit just to avoid that pungent garbage.

I wish my neighbor vaped. They close their until door but there are many times the entire fucking hallway smells like god damn cigarettes. When it's hot the odor is putrid. Had to installed weather stripping to keep that shit from getting in my place.

I'll take vape smoke any day of the week over ciggs

chixdiggit

Kind of surprised so many have a problem with vaping. I don't do it myself and never have been bothered by it. Every scent I have encountered has been pleasant.

TI82

Banned
vaping smells nice generally so it's actually welcome to have that in public over the general public's smell. And I vape the marijuana in my house frequently, because it doesn't smell at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hate cigarettes in general but as long as people are outside I don't really care if they do it to themselves. I hold vaping in the same regard.

"Just deal with my clouds of stink, it's not even bad for you, loser!"

I think we all know the argument that it stinks is really really weak. It's like don't wear perfume in public because it bothers me. But not even that because perfume can be much more invasive smelling. Or don't bring your dog in public because I can smell it. Seriously think about it. How many more offensive things do you smell in a day than some faint strawberry. This is just an excuse. If you are truly that sensitive to how other people inconvenience you in public for it to be just that little smell you must be somewhere on Howard Hughes' level.

It's also really weird how vapers are automatically judged by some for being into some kind of 'weird' vaper culture whether they know if they even know about it or not. Like people in this thread being all proud that they 'shamed' some vaper. It's not the vapers who are being dicks to society here.

I doubt this is true. If it is, it's about as silly as my grandma getting all uncomfortable and rolling her eyes at gay couples holding hands.

There must be something logical about why it bothers people, I just don't get what it is from the posts here.

I haven't heard of anything logical yet. I really think it's just the icky factor of yuck I can see that person's breath and it's about to touch me and I'll breath it in.

Or some kind of weird discrimination about the culture of some who vape. Like they are some loser hipsters or something which makes people uncomfortable. Or happy because they feel they can judge someone who is lesser than them because that person has a habit that other people also don't like.

vaping smells nice generally so it's actually welcome to have that in public over the general public's smell. And I vape the marijuana in my house frequently, because it doesn't smell at all.

You can vape weed?!?!?
giphy.gif

akira28

Let's wait a few years before claiming this. It's too early to call.

The overvolting and subohming and whatnot that people do to tune their 'vape rigz' has already shown to emit incredibly harmful chemicals in early papers.
It's not 'just' vapor, and results vary wildly when vape lyfe tryhards basically start overclocking their vaporizers.

lol I didn't know this was a thing, but of course it figures. see figure 1. annoying human.

You can vape weed?!?!?

this was the only thing I thought people were vaping at first. then I found out they were going nuts over colored leds and scented liquid.
I'd only do it if I could have multi colored rainbow smoke.

Malvolio

To the twat in front of me that sneaks a vape in class: I'm not going to snitch, but you are a giant douche. Is it really that hard to corral your addiction for 75 minutes?

TI82

Banned
You can vape weed?!?!?
giphy.gif

Yeah, you can get concentrates (not sure which states this is legal in but not mine) or buy an herb vaporizer. Then you grind it up, pack it in and go to town. I recommend the PAX line or the boundless line but the PAX line is much nicer/premium.

https://www.paxvapor.com/

go to reddit.com/r/vaporents if you have more questions and want help, tons of helpful people/stores there.

BIGWORM

I vape, though I vape in the same etiquette as smoking: No vaping indoors, no vaping in enclosed public places. I'm either vaping in my house, in my car, or an open space area outside away from people.

DonShula

The way I see it, if you got a problem, say something.
When I vape I try to be conscious of my surroundings and try not to blow it in people's faces. I don't vape indoors unless the person that owns the place does or I'd they are smoking cigarettes.

Um I don't vape on public transit. So yeah say something

your-horse-is-too-damn-high.jpg

No one ever said anything to you yet about you rolling their eyes at them huh?

No, because they've averted their own eyes. They're looking at the sidewalk.

Outside it doesn't bother me so much. But people will do it in line at a store and the clouds of it just waft over everyone and that pisses me off. Never mind that often times it smells like someone jumped in a bath of scented candles or some shit.

The general vape culture stuff makes me laugh, though. People will do all sorts of little tricks or try and make the biggest cloud in front of their friends, or even when no ones is really around and I can't help but bust out laughing.

jaypah

I started vaping to quit cigs and now I vape a good bit. I'll vape petty much anywhere in public that smoking is allowed, but only if the vape will visibly dissipate before reaching another person by a good bit. Nobody wants to be the guy blowing vape into people's faces.

Pizza

I think it's fine for people to vape outside, but i feel like some people do it inside and near doorways to make a point.

I could be wrong: the couple times I've asked people to stop vaping where I work they've been mad courteous and taken it outside, but once I was playing guitar hero and suddenly a cloud of vapor was covering my friend and I as some random chick came over to instigate conversation

"Omg I love this song" as he and I were playing Yellow by Coldplay ironically

The conversation was short.

vesp

Count me in the I bought a small discrete vape to try to ween off a pack and a half a day cig habit camp. I feel douchey when doing it in public, because vape "culture" is the worst, but do smoke it in the same places I'd smoke a cig (I.e. Outside the bar), but treat it the same as a cigarette and don't exhale when people are walking by and such.

If that bothers you, you have lived a very provilidged life.

120v

to play devil's advocate, high watt vaping is a new thing for some and they probably don't understand it's not the same thing as hitting off some disposable Blu e-cig where the "vapor" is nearly non existent

i mean, obviously you're an asshole blowing clouds in people's faces but lots of people started out with "beginners kits" or whatever where you could take a puff or two in a restaurant and nobody would notice. i think this sort of thing will phase out soon, or at least be no different from cigarettes where invading people's space is an expected no-no

I feel like every time I see someone doing this in public, the same thing happens. I look at the ridiculous thing in their hand, I look them in the face, they look away in shame, and then I reflexively make a some sort of half eye roll combined with a stifled smirk.

I swear the majority of people who use these things have already judged themselves.

This is one of the stranger posts I've ever read (if I'm reading it right). Are you seriously getting pleasure from the idea that others have low self-esteem and gloating about it on a public forum like a weirdo sociopath? Because fuck you if that's the case.

TI82

Banned
This is one of the stranger posts I've ever read (if I'm reading it right). Are you seriously getting pleasure from the idea that others have low self-esteem and gloating about it on a public forum like a weirdo sociopath? Because fuck you if that's the case.

There's an entire subreddit about this called reddit.com/r/iamverybadass lol

example of a post on there:

jaypah

As a guy who vapes I find it hilarious that some folks are so passionate about how much they hate it. I was standing alone outside of a shopping complex and some cats across the street were yelling, "WE GET IT, YOU VAPE!!". I looked at them puzzled, realized how ridiculous it was that they were screaming at me and I started laughing uncontrollably. I understand that vape culture is a thing but the amount of anti-vape blow back is funny. It's almost its own little hate group.

Edit: To the guy trying to stare-shame people into "shamefully looking away" I hope to come across you someday. We can have an hour long stare down while I vape. It may sound silly but I've never been stare-checked and I never will.

slit

I feel like every time I see someone doing this in public, the same thing happens. I look at the ridiculous thing in their hand, I look them in the face, they look away in shame, and then I reflexively make a some sort of half eye roll combined with a stifled smirk.

I swear the majority of people who use these things have already judged themselves.

Can you explain this to me? It looks ridiculous to you so they should just continue to smoke to look more normal for you?

As a guy who vapes I find it hilarious that some folks are so passionate about how much they hate it. I was standing alone outside of a shopping complex and some cats across the street were yelling, "WE GET IT, YOU VAPE!!". I looked at them puzzled, realized how ridiculous it was that they were screaming at me and I started laughing uncontrollably. I understand that vape culture is a thing but the amount of anti-vape blow back is funny. It's almost its own little hate group.

Just goes to show people are just as much judgemental assholes now as they've ever been.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
IDGAF if someone vapes by me.
Smoking, OTOH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom