• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You unexpectedly become homeless tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

Well I just rent a room in London so loss of possessions would be minimal (shoes and my PC, mostly), and I have a couple of good options for temporary accommodation with friends so I wouldn't be worried about living somewhere short-term.

Last resort would be moving back to my parents, cycling to the train station, 5 hour total commute at oh good gravy £100 a day haha noooope. I'd move into a hotel on the Jubilee line for a few weeks.

In any event, I would immediately buy a Surface Pro (because I've been looking for an excuse to get one for like four years now), then go clothes shopping.

Eusis

Uhh, already dealing with this, unless you mean losing the car too, in which I'd be bugging everyone I could to take us in.

Would love to have an affordable hotel to stay in though.

Gisele

Banned
Probably move into one of my dad's apartments. Idk my safety net is so huge that it's really hard to answer this hypothetical without getting extremely specific about how I became homeless. My godmother has invited me to live with her before so I'm sure that offer would still stand, and my girlfriend was living with her parents before she moved in with me so we could always go back there. I'd be "homeless" for about five minutes unless like a meteor took out all of southern california while I was away.

Lkr

I rent so it wouldn't be too bad unless I'm losing all of my possessions as well in this scenario

Theonik

Move into the wilderness. Have someone take a grainy picture of me. Become Memefoot, cryptid sensation.

Harpuia

Luckily I have enough saved up that I can figure a short term solution out. Losing a bulk of my worldly possessions will suck but at least I'll be able to pick myself up.

Wedge7

Have insurance, so the financial aspect wouldnt be too bad. Have enough money in the bank so that it wouldnt be terrible, though would probably be very emotionally traumatic. Would probably stay in a condo for a while, could easily live with relatives for a while, but wouldnt want to impose for that long. I mean, yea, for the first couple of days I might crash at a relatives place, but after that, its a condo for me for the at minimum few months it'll take to find a new place.

Biggest thing honestly would be losing all those "irreplacable" things that have emotional value that you cant put a price on. Old family mementos, old photo books, heirlooms, etc. I mean obviously it would be a huge hassle in the every day to day life, but in the long run, most things can be replaced, except the things above.

zulux21

*sigh* <---- as an action.

but beyond that, I have renters insurance and plenty in savings to stay in a hotel for a few days until I find a new place to rent.

upgrading my computers is on my checklist to do this year anyways. the major thing that would suck would be losing my video game, anime and manga/light novel collections as a lot of them are out of print and quite expensive.

Ri'Orius

Crash on a friend's couch while I look for a new apartment. Right now would be pretty inconvenient (new puppy who's just starting to understand the routine/where to pee), but not a big deal.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is this one of those "share this or bad things will happen" things? Where's the image I'm supposed to quote?

Hazmat

I rent and my insurance would cover most of my losses, so I imagine I'd get an extended stay hotel room for a week or two while I find a new apartment and get it furnished.

ZOONAMI

I think this thread should assume you don't really have any meaningful resources other wise it's pretty much, "I'd find other housing" as I'm seeing in the thread, which is pretty pointless to even talk about.

I would panhandle enough to get a tent, sleeping bag, cot, other camping gear.

Then I would hitchhike to somewhere where it is warm enough year round to be sleeping in a tent every day

I'd try to find a spot where I could grow some stuff, and it's close enough to a population center where you could continue panhandling.

Or I guess I would try to shower as often as possible and apply for jobs I suppose.

I'd be fine. I have renters insurance that includes loss of use to pay for a hotel, food I have to eat out because I can't cook at home, etc., plus the financial resources to deal with the situation. I'd look for our cat to see if she survived as well as some things that are really important to me that are irreplaceable but everything else meh, can be replaced.

Like most here, insurance would take care of me.

Barring that, I'd live in my business which is equipped with a bed/shower/etc anyway. Perks of being an owner.

Wife would hate it, but it beats living with her family.

Gisele

Banned
I think this thread should assume you don't really have any meaningful resources other wise it's pretty much, "I'd find other housing" as I'm seeing in the thread, which is pretty pointless to even talk about.

I would panhandle enough to get a tent, sleeping bag, cot, other camping gear.

Then I would hitchhike to somewhere where it is warm enough year round to be sleeping in a tent every day

I'd try to find a spot where I could grow some stuff, and it's close enough to a population center where you could continue panhandling.

Or I guess I would try to shower as often as possible and apply for jobs I suppose.

Does an extensive social network count as meaningful resources? Because if it does then the question is you unexpectedly become homeless and friendless and without a family. Otherwise yeah, some of us have lots of people to help us get back on our feet.

M3d10n

A disaster would have to wipe out the city I live for that to happen, because my parents and several close relatives live here.

I read a book about a guy who went to college and lived in a van. I actually like that kind of low maintence life. I told my wife if she leave me, I would live in a van, get a gym card for shower and live like a hermit.

My parents live down the road from me, about five minutes away. My wife, son and I could hole up there for a while until we get a new house or get our old house rebuilt (why have insurance if you can't have that?)

Try to live in the forest, but then prolly die like that dude from Into the Wild cus I'm a dumbass.

I'd keep a diary of my adventure though, just in case someone found it and decided to write a book/make a movie about me.

Somewhere in the diary I would put "Hollywood, if you make my story into a movie, please don't whitewash me."

besada

Banned
I'd move in with any number of friends or family until I could get back on my feet.

I actually was homeless for about six weeks in my twenties, although I had a car. Lots of people have spent some time living in their car, though.

eso76

My parents live down the road and have a couple rooms.
It's a 10 mins drive to my brother's.
One hour drive to my wife's parents who also have a few extra rooms.
Plus one lovely house in the countryside they only use in the summer.

Wait, I also have another small apartment that's currently on sale but not sold yet.
And a camper van.

It would still suck though.

Condom

Buy phone, call work and explain things. Try to find somewhere to stay locally. Secure place to stay or spend days free from work while sleeping at parents place, call insurance. Seek new appartement. I have enough money and saved up paid holidays to cover some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom