• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

TheFlow

Banned
Uhhh, every time I face a RoA Mao in top lane I'm happy as fuck.

Cause he just invested 11 or more mins into a stacking item that doesn't make him tankier against my AD and takes 10 mins to reach it's full use. Basically making it not only a free lane but an easy lane to get fed off of cause not only is my Illaoi building DMG (or my poppy builing tank) but my JG sees an easy target and want to get fed. (if they have a few brain cells. Played a Susan game where my Hec Jg ganked my lane exactly ONCE. I was vs an Ashe ... who only had Flash/ Heal ... and was pushed to my tower non-stop. Maybe I should be a JG, cause that looked like an easy lane to camp. Get fed off a solo laned ADC, give Susan a free lane? W/e )

I don't really play Mao at all and remember how hard the game feels when you build RoA on him first. I would assume Mao is better off doing like DRing Sion and just getting a 2nd Dorans Ring for mana and AP and leaving it at that.
I like going ROA.frozen>sunfire>visage.

a W>Q combo allows me to hurt any adc and then just ult . enemies tend to start popping summoners after that and my team cleans up.

due to his nerfs I am going to start rushing sunfire>frozenheart.

Another unranked , just for the love of god Riot needs to make a unranked playlist for all unranked in any ranked playlist, Getting paired with a person who dont know how to even build their champ should not be happening in ranked after placements.

The guy had like 6 games in ranked all loses, all different champs

Won my two ranked games for the night ... One where Bot fed. Maybe I can get back to where I was before these damn placements..

zkylon

zkylewd
wnP5jGP.png

i appreciate faker being as trash as i am at ekko

Another unranked , just for the love of god Riot needs to make a unranked playlist for all unranked in any ranked playlist, Getting paired with a person who dont know how to even build their champ should not be happening in ranked after placements.

The guy had like 6 games in ranked all loses, all different champs
implying ranked people know how to build lol

Unless somebody is trying to genuinely be helpful in chat, literally ignore anything they say if it starts to turn negative. Just press tab and click the speaker button next to their name and you won't hear the tiny fly ever again.

The learning curve is very, very steep but there are ways to streamline it. The hardest time you'll have in this game is not knowing what the enemy champion you're up against does. Aram is a fairly efficient way of learning what x champion looks like and does because the games are generally short, you jump into the game super fast, and you tend to see a lot of the same champions on low level aram accounts.

Good luck have fun. It both sucks and is great to be new to the game.

Bot matches are good for levelling up your account while you get used to basics: tower range, last-hitting stuff and you own champion's kit for the most part, since the AI sucks and is awful at teaching you how the game is actually played when you're up against human opponents.

I started as a support main, and have recently decided to switch to top as my main role instead since I got kind of bored of the bottom lane; plus, it's easier for me to know whether I'm doing stuff right or wrong since there's nobody else in lane to either carry or drag me down.

One of the main things you'll be learning over time is what champions do, so you should probably focus on practicing one or two champions and a single role, since memorizing the champion pool of multiple lanes takes a lot longer than focusing on a single lane, and you're likely to get random losses because you didn't know what the giant enemy fat robot crab man thing does.
Thank you both. I'll try to have fun and focus on one role for now.

Yesterday ARAMs showed me how Zed and Lee Sin are difficult to play with.

JulianImp

Yesterday ARAMs showed me how Zed and Lee Sin are difficult to play with.

Yeah, champions that have mechanics such as Zed's shadows, Azir's soldiers, Orianna's ball and so on are kind of hard to start with because it takes a lot more game knowledge and skill to use them properly than "click on person to nuke them" that some other champions have.

As far as easy-to-use champions go, I'd probably reccomend Malzahar and Annie as mages (since their moveset is based around point & click skills), Malphite as a tank (easy to land ultimate that can turn fights around), and Garen as a tank/fighter (mostly because he doesn't use mana, so you can get accustomed to ability cooldowns without having to worry about mana magagement). You could try skillshot-based champions (Lux, Ahri, Blitzcrank, Morgana), but they tend to suck if you can't land those abilities (especially Blitz).

Be sure to try whatever's on free rotation against bots, because you might find a champ you actually like by experimenting like that, and you won't get flamed since you won't be playing human opponents, anyway. Agin, only use bot games to look for champions with abilities that you like, since their actual viability in PvP will differ a lot.

Is Champion.ogg a pretty reliable site? I've been using it when trying out new champions to get a solid idea of what people are building...but this Cassiopeia build is the first I've seen that I've been suspicious of. Morellonomicon, then Rylai, then
Archangel staff as first 3 items...?

Actual tanks can kill each other

Top lane right now is best described by a Keijo gif but if I posted one of those the anti-lewd brigade would skin me alive.
Personally, I'm a fan of this gif to represent top:

giphy.gif

Talents

Banned
Is Champion.ogg a pretty reliable site? I've been using it when trying out new champions to get a solid idea of what people are building...but this Cassiopeia build is the first I've seen that I've been suspicious of. Morellonomicon, then Rylai, then

That's a good build. You go tear > Morello > Rylais/Abyssal/Zhonyas > Archangels Staff. Rylais isn't core anymore since the nerf, but it's still an ok item on Cass.

JulianImp

giphy.gif

This fits my latest game perfectly: I was doing badly against a Darius as Yorick and one time he dove me and got the kill, but then Lee Sin flew out of nowhere and ganked him. Then he kept visiting top every now and then, which allowed me to turn things around and start taking objectives and generally being a pain in the ass while Darius was relegated to doing practically nothing later on.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

giphy.gif

champion.gg and those sites only show completed items, no components... that's a good build if you remember you're stacking tear the whole time you're building everything else

That's a good build. You go tear > Morello > Rylais/Abyssal/Zhonyas > Archangels Staff. Rylais isn't core anymore since the nerf, but it's still an ok item on Cass.
champion.gg and those sites only show completed items, no components... that's a good build if you remember you're stacking tear the whole time you're building everything else
Ahhhh. Thank you. That is what was throwing me off--the fact that tear was coming so late in the build. I wasn't sure how it represented individual components. Much appreciated.

As usual, their jungler is better than mine, so what I do doesn't matter.

How was your performance your jungler's fault?

You had the least amount of deaths, most kills, most damage, and your team had a gold lead for the last ten minutes. I didn't spectate it or anything, but it looks like you guys just slipped up as a team at the end and long death timers is what caused you to lose. You/Fallen even had a fed late game GP with a Lux to back him up.

Newt

How was your performance your jungler's fault?

You had the least amount of deaths, most kills, most damage, and your team had a gold lead for the last ten minutes. I didn't spectate it or anything, but it looks like you guys just slipped up as a team at the end and long death timers is what caused you to lose.
You/Fallen even had a fed late game GP with a Lux to back him up.

Of course it wasn't all Camille's fault, Lux shares an equal or greater amount of blame.
But both of them played like animals.

Also, there's a difference between keeping your team in the game from a deficit than just "slipping up".
76b51bd6736675ef1f923069c9904375.png

lol they won and chat log makes it seem like they were raging at each other. o_O

The gold advantage started to favor Newt/Fallen's team towards the end, so it looks like the team that won started to flame one another for making dumb mistakes. My favorite part of situations like that is when that kind of bickering spills over to /all, because when teams do that, they're basically saying "HEY, WE'RE STARTING TO TILT."

zkylon

zkylewd
i really don't get why riot is cool with support zyra (or support mf or whatever)

champions that can only played support because of busted base numbers is not interesting gameplay

maokai should just get reworked some day, he looks impossible to balance in his current state

drawkcaB

i really don't get why riot is cool with support zyra (or support mf or whatever)

champions that can only played support because of busted base numbers is not interesting gameplay

maokai should just get reworked some day, he looks impossible to balance in his current state

Yeah, let's make the available pool of supports even smaller, that'll make more players want to play the role.

Maokai is like 99% confirmed for a rework in the tank update.

Ever

Banned
I won though.

Though I agree, Janna could use a nice gutting. Maybe increase the cooldown on E.

Maybe someday Janna will finally get some tuning to bring her in line. Mage supports make too much money and are far too overbearing on bot lane right now, though.

Back in the day, mage supports used to be okay because they fell off so hard as they didn't make enough gold to actually get more AP. So they defaulted into utility as the game progressed and they eventually were out-scaled by traditional supports or tank supports. And all was good.

Now gold generation by mage supports is getting out of control. The way spellthief's works, mage supports are able to constantly get gold procs by throwing long range harass onto enemies throughout every stage of the game to keep their gold generation curves smooth. Tanks fall off over the same time period as they have to have another teammate nearby to get procs, and trying to get procs during laning = free harass and procs from the enemy bot lane. Traditional supports don't have this same problem as they have the benefit of being ranged.

Now mage supports get more gold. You would think this isn't a problem, because their power curve is still behind most solo mages, but it is. I look at champion.gg, and the first items all mage supports get after the mandatory Sightstone + Boots are all the same. Rylai's & Liandry's. This duo of items have the some amazing synergy. They're relatively cheap after the Rylai's changes, and they get so much free scaling because they scale off of enemy health. Mages with this duo are able to scale much harder into late game and impact games just through raw damage rather than tankiness or utility like traditional supports. I really hope they do something about that duo, it's getting out of hand.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, let's make the available pool of supports even smaller, that'll make more players want to play the role.
disagree, support is one of the most diverse and well balanced class in the game, with options for fans of all kinds of champions with very different strengths and weaknesses and interesting itemization and everything. definitely not perfect but way better than other roles like adc or jungle. i'd say support should be as good as mid at least when they remove those champions

it's not like people are playing more support if zyra and mf are popular

Maokai is like 99% confirmed for a rework in the tank update.
good

i don't think he needs huge changes but at the very least i would like to see a more transparent ult

Maybe someday Janna will finally get some tuning to bring her in line. Mage supports make too much money and are far too overbearing on bot lane right now, though.

Back in the day, mage supports used to be okay because they fell off so hard as they didn't make enough gold to actually get more AP. So they defaulted into utility as the game progressed and they eventually were out-scaled by traditional supports or tank supports. And all was good.

Now gold generation by mage supports is getting out of control. The way spellthief's works, mage supports are able to constantly get gold procs by throwing long range harass onto enemies throughout every stage of the game to keep their gold generation curves smooth. Tanks fall off over the same time period as they have to have another teammate nearby to get procs, and trying to get procs during laning = free harass and procs from the enemy bot lane. Traditional supports don't have this same problem as they have the benefit of being ranged.

Now mage supports get more gold. You would think this isn't a problem, because their power curve is still behind most solo mages, but it is. I look at champion.gg, and the first items all mage supports get after the mandatory Sightstone + Boots are all the same. Rylai's & Liandry's. This duo of items have the some amazing synergy. They're relatively cheap after the Rylai's changes, and they get so much free scaling because they scale off of enemy health. Mages with this duo are able to scale much harder into late game and impact games just through raw damage rather than tankiness or utility like traditional supports. I really hope they do something about that duo, it's getting out of hand.
mage supports were never right, people rolled their eyes at the support luxes and nidalees and even when like velkoz or annie were popular it was always for the same reasons as zyra or mf or malzahar, numbers that are simply busted

i find those kind of champions really negative for the game and the role and while i think that killing those would just surface other problematic 'actual supports' (like janna or sona), at least i feel like those champions bring something more interesting to the game than just numbers

Top Bottom