• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Socreges

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yes, it's even easier than ever before to develop a reading backlog.

How do you guys organize your books? I use folders based on topics: Tech, IP, Pop Culture, Games, Bio, Reference, Sports, Politics, Fiction. Captures most of it. Currently Reading folder too to have quick access to those.
Very similar. Reference, Spanish, Classics, Philosophy, Fiction, Science, Politics. Might need to branch that out a bit more as I've only just started downloading documents/books and am going to try and work out how to get subscriptions working.

After two days I've spent more time reading the User's Guide than any other book.... finally done, thankfully.

JBuccCP

I got one for ma for mother's day. Took it out to set it up for her. Got her a candle and kept it.

Not really but I thought about it.

dangrib

had a kindle 2 and upgraded to 3.

completely changed how much i read. i use it all the time and with all the crazy tech out there e-ink is still the one that amazes me the most. incredible stuff.

how long until it hits $99? i might get another for my mum

LCfiner

mrkgoo said:
I've always been interested in a kindle for the free 3G browsing. Is it worth it for that?

no. it's pretty awful. (also, in some markets, the sites you can visit are limited to a few bookmarks like wikipedia)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The difference between lovers and haters are those who have read a book on the Kindle for the first time. Easily one of my best purchases last year, perhaps even the best thing I've bought in the past 5 years. This, alongside the dragon's iPad, have almost made me forget about physical materials when it comes to reading.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
mrkgoo said:
I've always been interested in a kindle for the free 3G browsing. Is it worth it for that?
It's a nice feature to have, but it's nowhere near good enough to be the reason to buy one.

Vandiger

How is the kindle for beach reading or any environment that is harsh for electronic devices? Any tips or suggestions?

I sooo want one.

I have a question though. Does digital library lending have a chance to ever become commonplace? Thats the only thing thats holding me back from buying one, I can't justify to myself buying one when I'm so used to getting books for free from the library.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Vandiger said:
How is the kindle for beach reading or any environment that is harsh for electronic devices? Any tips or suggestions?
My buddy took his on a honeymoon and loved it for the beach. Just be sure to pack it well because baggage handlers threw his bag so hard it cracked his Kindle.

keuja

Yami said:
Basically, what are the negatives of the Kindle? Any? Hah.

I did a bit of research and when compared to the sony PRS 650

Cons
- no expansion slot
- no EPUB suppport
- restricted to the Kindle store
- PDF support not as good as the Sony PRS-x50 (doesn't support PDF reflow for example)
- a bit larger due to the physical keyboard
- built quality feels better on the Sony readers (arguable)
- not touch (arguable)

Pros
- Wifi and 3G. Access to your book store everywhere
- significantly cheaper
- slightly faster (subjective, but that's my impression looking at some youtube video)
- awesome book store

Overall I feel that the Kindle is the best value for money, especially if you use tools such as Calibre to convert your files to the mobi format.

The Kindle ranks as one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's a more immersive experience reading than actual books in my experience. I've never been absorbed in reading the way I have on a Kindle.

Manics

Banned
You might want to add a link to "Sigil". It allows you to edit existing non DRM ePub files quite nicely. I've used it to clean up some free ePubs before converting to Kindle format.

3N16MA

Banned
So what do you guys think Amazon will do with the Kindle when it releases it's Android based tablet? Ditch e-ink like Barnes & Noble or have two product lines?

kaskade

3N16MA said:
So what do you guys think Amazon will do with the Kindle when it releases it's Android based tablet? Ditch e-ink like Barnes & Noble or have two product lines?
I really hope they keep 2(which I think they will). It's nice having a dedicated device. Also I really like reading on an eink display.

movie_club

I had a Kindle 2 and now a Kindle 3. I think its an awesome device and reading on it is super easy BUT I never use it. I just really like books better. Maybe thats just me though...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
keuja said:
I did a bit of research and when compared to the sony PRS 650

Cons
- no expansion slot
- no EPUB suppport
- restricted to the Kindle store
- PDF support not as good as the Sony PRS-x50 (doesn't support PDF reflow for example)
- a bit larger due to the physical keyboard
- built quality feels better on the Sony readers (arguable)
- not touch (arguable)

Pros
- Wifi and 3G. Access to your book store everywhere
- significantly cheaper
- slightly faster (subjective, but that's my impression looking at some youtube video)
- awesome book store

Overall I feel that the Kindle is the best value for money, especially if you use tools such as Calibre to convert your files to the mobi format.

Everything is easily converted in Calibre. In fact, Calibre also downloads the newspaper for me every morning for free and I love it. PDFs can be converted too, I do it all the time. This also lifts the "restrictions" you mention on the Kindle store. I have some books I've purchased on iTunes that I've read on my Kindle with the use of Calibre.

Vandiger said:

I use mine at the beach all the time. Obviously I don't bury it in sand, but if a little ets on it I just wipe it off. I suggest you get something like this which better protects it than just a cover from the elements.

alex chilton said:
I sooo want one.

I have a question though. Does digital library lending have a chance to ever become commonplace? Thats the only thing thats holding me back from buying one, I can't justify to myself buying one when I'm so used to getting books for free from the library.

Absolutely. In fact, many public and school libraries around the country have begun to implement Kindle ebook lending programs this year.

The website that's now in OP, booklending.com, matches you up with users from all over the world who are willing to lend you their book for a period of up to 14 days. Of course, you're encouraged to do the same, but don't have to. This is absolutely free.

You can also borrow a book from someone you know. I've only done it once to see how it works and it also works seamlessly.

Gigglepoo

ultron87 said:
I have to say, the reading experience on a Kindle is vastly superior to a degree that I might consider rebuying a few books that I haven't read yet.

What makes the reading experience on a Kindle vastly superior?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Gigglepoo said:
What makes the reading experience on a Kindle vastly superior?

I personally have no problem with conventional books, all things being equal (I don't care to post my underlined passages and respective notes to Facebook or Twitter). However it is lighter and easier to hold, I suppose. One cool feature was just implemented into the firmware which allows you to see popular passages that users have underlined in a book and tell you how many people have underlined it. You can, of course, turn this feature off.

jonezer4

Evlar said:
I didn't expect it would provide a better experience even when portability wasn't an issue.

This. I never realized how much I hated fighting with the crease of a book until I had a Kindle. Laying down reading a book is a pain in the ass. The book is constantly trying to stay closed forcing you to hold down both sides of it, or fold it in half and hold it, flipping it over every page, risking the book becoming completely destroyed. It's such a simple thing, just pressing a button. I never realized how much I actually hated holding books until Kindle.

Books are good for nostalgia's sake and that's about it. Good riddance antiquated tree killing scum.

Thanks so much for the margin adjusting, I was thinking that they had wasted a lot of space there, and it looks like I was right. 10 is a much better setting. Everyone should change it!

kruskev

I really regret purchasing my nook. It's battery life is real shit and I really hate navigating through the touch screen. But I did purchase tons of ebooks on it over the past year...
Is there any way to convert the ebooks on the nook to a kindle if I do convert?

Manics

Banned
DeadFalling said:
Thanks so much for the margin adjusting, I was thinking that they had wasted a lot of space there, and it looks like I was right. 10 is a much better setting. Everyone should change it!
They really should just put that margins options in the firmware. It's so easy to do but right now if you change the number of words per line it screws your margin setting and you have to set it again. Expose that option Amazon!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
DeadFalling said:
YEP YEP I've settled on 6 as the max with 6 any shadows from the plastic lip don't touch the edge of text.

Weenerz

Banned
Weenerz said:
Still debating on which e-reader to get, the nook or the kindle. What I wanted to know was is there a hack out yet for the special offers version of the kindle to remove the advertisements?

Anyone?

Manics

Banned
kruskev said:
I really regret purchasing my nook. It's battery life is real shit and I really hate navigating through the touch screen. But I did purchase tons of ebooks on it over the past year...
You would have to strip the DRM off the books before you can convert them. Since you purchased them they'll have your unique id so you would be able to remove the drm.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
kruskev said:

yes calibre will let you convert any DRM'd propriotary format over to anyother.

Heres another link that the OP could add,you need the pluggins for calibre from this page to get it to work

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/ebooks-formats-drm-and-you-%E2%80%94-a-guide-for-the-perplexed/

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Weenerz said:

I don't really know why you're debating. The nook is so bad. I've played with it extensively before jumping in on the Kindle. Even the Kobo was better than the nook.

There is no way to remove the advertisements. Not yet at least. Just wait a week or two and save up the extra $25.

Weenerz said:

Sorry. The Screensaver hack does not work on the SO kindle. It's shipping with firmware 3.2, and updating to 3.21 stealth-like. Amazon has released the source code for 3.2 and 3.21, but until it gets pushed to the non-ad kindles I wouldn't expect an updated hack.

Quick question, and sorry if it has been asked before in other Kindle threads:

I'm in Australia and I want to jailbreak my International 3G Kindle 3 (Emily Dickinson creeps me out). Should I be using the UK jailbreak installer? From what I can find there are Kindle 2 International jailbreak installers but for the Kindle 3 my only options are US or UK.

BanShunsaku said:
Quick question, and sorry if it has been asked before in other Kindle threads:

I'm in Australia and I want to jailbreak my International 3G Kindle 3 (Emily Dickinson creeps me out). Should I be using the UK jailbreak installer? From what I can find there are Kindle 2 International jailbreak installers but for the Kindle 3 my only options are US or UK.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindles

Kindle DX Graphite: Serial no. prefix B009
Kindle 3 3G US: Serial no. prefix B006
Kindle 3 WiFi: Serial no. prefix B008
Kindle 3 3G UK: Serial no. prefix B00A

home menu>settings

Has anyone taken their Kindle 3 apart? I ask because somehow mine separated just a little bit right around the usb port. It still works just fine, but the small seam hole really bothers me. I don't know if I should take it apart to see if putting it back together will help, or just leave well enough alone.

Top Bottom