• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
oh, so white walkers = wights? Huh. I don't recall Jon killing a white walker though.

No, they're not the same. See my post above. It's unclear what the connection between white walkers and wights are, but certainly there seems to be one.

I was confused when they said Jon Snow killed a "white"? Had to Google it and realize the word used was "wight". Maybe it was written wight in the subtitles -- should've paied more attention to to those.

Also, hopefully we'll get a BS explanation from Melisandre about how she can only do that once, or else I'll be thinking "why she just doesn't send a shadow to kill person x" every time.
Haha, ya, I had the same discovery last night. I guess I'd heard that word a long time ago but forgot. So white walkers are wight walkers. Makes sense.

Also, does Tywin not know that Arya is missing? As smart as he is, I would think he could put 2 + 2 together on that one.
I'm confused on that as well, but Little Finger was claiming to Lady Stark she was still held, so I guess it's not common knowledge outside Joffrey's court?

sangreal

I thought the white walkers were the badass guys with he blue eyes from the first episode. Aren't the raised bodies just like zombies?

wights are zombies basically. White Walkers are not wights. A wight is a generic term in fantasy, it isn't unique to this series.

I'm confused on that as well, but Little Finger was claiming to Lady Stark she was still held, so I guess it's not common knowledge outside Joffrey's court?

Add to that Tywin has had much, much bigger problems for quite some time now with Robb's army. And although locating Arya is somewhat important for the Small Council, the fact that all parties know that trading both Stark girls for Jaime Lannister is not an equal trade makes finding Arya less important.

Hmmm it probably worked better in the book because it's easier to read "wight" and "white" as different things than to hear them in the show. I'm sure a lot of people have wight/white walkers confused

Martian

Awesome episode! One of the better ones IMO.
I did literally say 'the fuck' when Renley died, because I was hoping he would begin a war against his brother, but yeah.
I like that dude Arya rescued, looks like another bad-ass dude, of which there can never be enough. Also one of the episodes with good Daenerys(?) parts, normally she's all whiny and stuff, but now she had a good part. Let's hope it continues that way.

I did not get the part when Theon Greyjoy smiled when he talked to that sailor guy. Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would he be happy attacking a village of Winterfell?

sangreal

Littlefinger knows obviously that Arya is missing, but they've made it pretty clear in the past that nobody else does. Catelyn has said a few times that nobody has heard from her, and when Tyrion showed up at King's Landing he thought she was still there as well. I think it is safe to assume that Tywin doesn't know she is missing, and would piece it together if he did

I did literally say 'the fuck' when Renley died, because I was hoping he would begin a war against his brother, but yeah.
I like that dude Arya rescued, looks like another bad-ass dude, of which there can never be enough. Also one of the episodes with good Daenerys(?) parts, normally she's all whiny and stuff, but now she had a good part. Let's hope it continues that way.

I did not get the part when Theon Greyjoy smiled when he talked to that sailor guy. Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would he be happy attacking a village of Winterfell?

It sounded like he figured out a way to do something way more important than raiding fishing villages, something that would attract attention from the Starks, he didn't elaborate further on what the implications would be but I hope it's something awesome

big ander

Even people I know who have read the books multiple times were confused by Jon just saying "wight". Thanks to people in here for clearing it up.

sangreal

I think Theon realized that the Starks would send their men to take the square back, leaving Winterfell open to attack. Goes with Bran's vision

Violet_0

Banned
It sounded like he figured out a way to do something way more important than raiding fishing villages, something that would attract attention from the Starks, he didn't elaborate further on what the implications would be but I hope it's something awesome

my guess is it has something to do with Bran's dream ('the sea' being a metaphor for Hourse Greyjoy and the pirates in this case)

Martian

Hmm, so he's really gone against the Starks. Shame, I liked him. He's gone from the Cool-wall to the Uncool-wall.

Zeliard

Littlefinger knows obviously that Arya is missing, but they've made it pretty clear in the past that nobody else does. Catelyn has said a few times that nobody has heard from her, and when Tyrion showed up at King's Landing he thought she was still there as well. I think it is safe to assume that Tywin doesn't know she is missing, and would piece it together if he did

Yeah I don't think Tywin knows. Isn't the info on Arya also a card Tyrion is still holding close to his vest, as a way of threatening Cersei?

iNvid02

no way the greyjoys will kill bran, so he will probably live to realize he can see the future which should be pretty interesting. i reckon rickon (lol) has some sort of power too, kid just looks freaky.

sangreal

my guess is it has something to do with Bran's dream ('the sea' being a metaphor for Hourse Greyjoy and the pirates in this case)

What I don't get is why Bran basically knows that Rodrick is going to die, but let him take the men anyway

no way the greyjoys will kill bran, so he will probably live to realize he can see the future which should be pretty interesting. i reckon rickon (lol) has some sort of power too, kid just looks freaky.

I think Rickon has the same power as Bran. They shared the vision of Ned's death

Zeliard

What I don't get is why Bran basically knows that Rodrick is going to die, but let him take the men anyway

I don't think he knows anything (that he is aware of), or at least it didn't play that way. He basically wrote it off as just a silly dream while Osha was the one who seemed concerned about it.

Nizz

Honestly that conversation confused me a bit as well. Theon's happy that he's going to attack Winterfell? Or does he have something else up his sleeve?

Great episode though. Was surprised at Renley's assassination at the beginning of the show. :0 Brienne is a bad ass. I liked the moment of bonding her and Cat had when they stopped to rest. The Tywin/Arya moment was great too, some tense glares at each other. Arya's line of "anybody can be killed" was perfect.

Tyrion has such a boss swag about him as he was walking around the markets/city with Bronn. And Dany, damn she's like a doll come to life. So pretty. :) The dragon looked great also, awesome to see it start to breathe fire already. Those things are gonna be a hell of a force to reckon with when they're bigger.

Bran seems to be settling into his role well. He seemed so mature this episode, Rickon looked a little psycho though banging the table like that.

iNvid02

I think Rickon has the same power as Bran. They shared the vision of Ned's death

uh-oh, you dont need 2 people with foresight, i guess one is gonna die

Zeliard

I'm curious what the limits of Melisandre's crazy shadow-birthing powers are. Seems like it'd be pretty hard to combat against a thing like that.

His vision had Rodrick dying in Winterfell. Plus he hasn't really made the connection between his dream and what's going on yet because he doesn't know who's attacking.

sangreal

I don't think he knows anything (that he is aware of), or at least it didn't play that way. He basically wrote it off as just a silly dream while Osha was the one who seemed concerned about it.

Well, that makes less sense because Bran stated earlier in the season that he does not have dreams and that his visions come true. I guess you're right though, because Osha calls him out on this and he doesn't object

Violet_0

Banned
Hmm, so he's really gone against the Starks. Shame, I liked him. He's gone from the Cool-wall to the Uncool-wall.

for quick and easy orientation

EG2tn.jpg

Zeliard

Well, that makes less sense because Bran stated earlier in the season that he does not have dreams and that his visions come true. I guess you're right though, because Osha calls him out on this and he doesn't object

Yeah I dunno. Osha tells him something like "the sea is hundreds of miles away," though she still seems pretty anxious about it, and Bran responds with "it's just a stupid dream." It seems probable that he was just trying to convince himself.

big ander

So, everyone seems ok with Arya calling out hits to the people on her "prayer" list? That seems pretty dark to me.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out HBO's map again to see the Fist of the First Men (where Sam was saying they were), and where Torrenhen's Square is in relation to Winterfell.
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/map/locations/

The one person she's called in a hit on is a man who asks prisoners questions they often have no way of knowing the answers to so that, when they don't answer, he can attach a vicious animal to their chest, allowing it to eat its way into them.

Arya has nothing to feel badly about.

JGS

Banned
So, everyone seems ok with Arya calling out hits to the people on her "prayer" list? That seems pretty dark to me.
This and Rincon are evidences of how kids don't handle the stresses they have to face well.

Arya is a strong person by nature (As are the rest of the Starks), but I think the whole point is that they are being corrupted by all the maneuvering. The prayer list is supposed to be cute bad in the sense that kids may wish ill things on people all the time. The difference is Arya has the power to actually do something about it.

I probably give her more credit than I should. She's not so much mature as she is brave/fearless. I probably won't have a problem with whoever she picks honestly, but at the same time it is disturbing to know a kid has a hit list.

Zeliard

Cool Wall needs more Brienne. She beasts out on fools. I love the way they stage her fight scenes; her swings feel so heavy and damaging.

JGS

Banned
The difference is Tywin knows. He knew everything bone headed his grandson was doing (Which is why Tyrion is there now).

It's odd that he knows everything but the fact that one of the girls is missing. He would have to know that considering it would be a very important bargaining chip (Especially since on the surface, Sansa has turned to the dark side already).

Subitai

The one person she's called in a hit on is a man who asks prisoners questions they often have no way of knowing the answers to so that, when they don't answer, he can attach a vicious animal to their chest, allowing it to eat its way into them.

Arya has nothing to feel badly about.
Yeah, I'm not saying it is bad or that she should feel badly. I'm just saying she looked typically shocked when she accidentally killed that fat kid. Now, recalling she is a pre-teen girl, Arya's look started to become rather casually satisfied. Except for maybe Joffery and Cersei, there are no black and white characters, but I think Arya's character is the clearest in showing the drift towards gray with characters starting off closer to white.

Maybe Theon wants to show that he is a superior captain compared to his sister and bring all the ship crews over to his side and join the Starks.........if its not that then I hope he gets a cruel death from a dire wolf

In regards to Arya, she has seen some serious shit

If I saw my own father's head cut off in front of me, and then another father figure as well, and then the rest of your dwindling group of friends is under threat, you bet your ass I'd have a hit list.

see5harp

I'd just like to say that the kid playing Arya is doing a fantastic job. Nearly every scene she is in ends up being pretty memorable for me.

Emwitus

Oh crap! BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no NUDITY!!! HURRAH!!!

The tall lady protecting lady stark is all sorts of cool!!

Hurrah....

And i'm in love with the tageryan chic!!

Hurrah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom