• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they release this soon so I can buy the old wifi-only model on the cheap somewhere. PS+ saved the vita imo, plus games are slowly finally coming along. But 4g and hdmi seem a bit extravagant.

wrowa

I don't believe for a second that this is true. Adding 4G wouldn't solve any of Vita's problems and I reject to believe that Sony is stupid enough to think otherwise. No one on this planet isn't buying the Vita because it isn't high-end enough; to the contrary, people aren't buying the handheld because its high tech hardware is too expensive.

They'd be better off announcing a revision with 32GB built in storage or something. The 3G model is useless and I doubt people will get excited about a 4G Vita. HDMI is nice but it's not really something that will sell the Vita to the mass public.. A lower price and attractive software will.

AOC83

Banned
I would like to hope so as well. Clearly the 3G unit wasn't selling and it had nothing to do with it not being 4G and everything to do with it was $299 and if you wanted to use the 3G it was an additional $15 a month. With 4G people still wouldn't buy it.

1st priority should be to get the WiFi system to $199 with a 4GB card bundled with each purchase.

Not enough, WiFi is already at 199 € here (LBP included) and it does nothing. The only chance to get halfway decent sales would be to drop the price even further an offer tons of high profile exclusives. Bith won´t happen.

XOMTOR

Strange thing is though that "new" design is remarkably similar to the Vita devkits. I do wonder what the USB port is for though. Seems kinda redundant.

pWOY3.jpg

(taken from Wololo)

Thanks. Looks like this rumor is now squarely called into question.

You've gotta be kidding me... as soon as I get a Vita they release a new one with a feature that should have been in the original (video out). I was so disappointed about that...

Guys.

HDMI IN. Connect your Vita to your PS3 / PS4, play your games on the Vita while somebody else uses the TV.

HDMI OUT. Connect your Vita to any HD compliant screen and play your Vita games on the big screen.

A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system. The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
LOL?

They really need a price-cut and better redesign, I hope this rumor is false.

This is some awesome news. 3g speeds was always useless for online gaming. I always thought they should of went 4g. Now if Sony adds internal memory and ill get a Vita.

They still needs to lower the price of the system and memory cards.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wait so the useless port on the top of my current Vita wasn't actually a HDMI out in disguise?

God dammit then what the hell is that thing for :(

I'll upgrade if there are some other good features, 4G alone isn't enough though

King_Moc

Banned
Mobile internet on Vita will only work if you can tie it to your existing mobile contract. Who the hell wants a contract specifically for a console that's barely even able to use those features? Everyone should just get the wifi one and tirelessly tether it to their smart phone.

Corto

Internal memory of 4 GB at bare minimum and a proper price cut is what could save the Vita. That would be something that every new user would take advantage of. And it's fun to see people hoping that the 20th will be something other than the PS4 reveal. You just need to wish it hard enough, close your eyes and tap your heels together three times. Believe.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
More images from the patent:

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

[0010] FIG. 1 is a front view of an electronic apparatus according to an embodiment of the present invention;

[0011] FIG. 2 is a perspective view of the electronic apparatus showing the lower surface thereof;

[0012] FIG. 3 is an exploded perspective view of the electronic apparatus;

[0013] FIG. 4 is a rear view of a circuit board (a main board) and an intermediate frame;

[0014] FIG. 5 is a sectional view of the electronic apparatus taken along line V-V shown in FIG. 4;

[0015] FIG. 6 is a front view of a circuit board (a sub-board);

[0016] FIGS. 7A and 7B are perspective views of a holder;

[0017] FIG. 8 is a diagram of the two circuit boards and the holder viewed on the lower side of the electronic apparatus;

[0018] FIG. 9 is a rear view of the circuit board (the sub-board), wherein the position of a connector with respect to the sub-board is shown;

[0019] FIG. 10 is an exploded perspective view for explaining a connection structure for a flat cable;

[0020] FIG. 11 is a rear view of the sub-board attached to an intermediate frame;

[0021] FIG. 12 is a sectional view taken along line XII-XII shown in FIGS. 11; and

[0022] FIG. 13 is an enlarged perspective view of FIG. 10, wherein a main part of the intermediate frame is shown.

Ponn

Banned
Sooooo Sony still doesnt get it. Hint: 3G model didnt sell because it wasnt 4G, it didnt sell because it was useless. So instead of dropping the price you double down on it, keep the price and think thats good. HDMI port will not save it either. Yea theres a few on GAF who want it but general populace dont. Dropping $250 on a handheld to very awkwardly be tethered close to a tv with an hdmi cord when i could just comfortably play a ps3? I got the vita with the beautiful oled for a reason. You want to make an actual useful feature? Give me wireless game streaming to PS3 on the tv, that would be more useful. The only good thing i see there is memory card price drop. Come on Sony, Vita is drowning and you are just throwing another Vita in after it with a rubber ducky. Sony is seriously Vitas worst enemy.

Blueblur1

Like others have said a 4G Vita is not the solution to the Vita problem. But the memory card price cut sounds great. If the 4G unit is not actually real, I hope they will at least cut the price on memory cards. It would help existing Vita owners such as myself.

Jaagen

Don't care about 4G or HDMI, but dropping the prices of the memory cards will probably push me over the edge to finally get one. I actually care more about the Vita and the 3DS then about their home console siblings.

Servbot24

Banned
Well I've been thinking of getting a Vita but I'll wait for this. May be getting a PS4 and Vita around the same time next year. If I happen to come across several hundred extra dollars that is. :)

This might not mean anything, but one of my country's biggest electronic store is coincidentally having a clearance sale on the 3G Vitas. Maybe they're getting rid of them to make room for the new one...

Top Bottom