• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Surface Book 2

Jeels

How good are these specs for PC gaming?

Edit: I'm not talking Crysis, I'm talking things like Cuphead and FFXIV.

For games like that, even the 13.5 with a 1050 would run them pretty well. Even the one with an Intel GPU probably wouldn't have too much trouble if you just stuck to mmos and indies.

For that price looks like i'm going with either the Spectre x360 refresh or the Switch 7 this winter.

Me too. I have been eyeing the 4k Spectre x360 refresh for its drawing opportunities. It has been confirmed that it has 4000 pressure this time and the much improved GPU makes a difference.

Surface Book despite being a very attractive laptop is as overpriced as apple. Isnt it also true for the Surface Book that you will destroy the devices by opening them up?

Izuna

Banned
1060 will max out many current games at 1080p

I think the non-dGPU version would play those games fine evem

Skittles

too bad about the Spectre's GPU.

Did you consider the Razer Blade? Specs seem good, but I don't know much about them.
Looking for a 2in1 and razer doesn't even have a touchscreen unless you pay nearly the price of a SB2
storafötter;252309761 said:
Me too. I have been eyeing the 4k Spectre x360 refresh for its drawing opportunities. It has been confirmed that it has 4000 pressure this time and the much improved GPU makes a difference.

Surface Book despite being a very attractive laptop is as overpriced as apple. Isnt it also true for the Surface Book that you will destroy the devices by opening them up?
Yea, 4k spectre is sounding great for the price.

Vixdean

Wait, DDR3? That's gotta be a typo, right? Do the newest i7s even support DDR3? Also, how do you not offer 64GB of RAM on a $3000+ laptop.

SFenton

I'm in. So in. Sounds like a much better machine for development, video rendering, and gaming than my current SB1.

Will probably spring for 512 GB 15", but may be tempted for the 1 TB.

Guess Who

Banned
Wait, DDR3? That's gotta be a typo, right? Do the newest i7s even support DDR3? Also, how do you not offer 64GB of RAM on a $3000+ laptop.

Not a typo. The current Intel CPUs don’t support LPDDR4, just regular DDR4, which uses quite a bit more power (especially at idle). If you want LPDDR, you are stuck with LPDDR3, which also sticks you with a 16GB RAM cap. The current MacBook Pros have the same issue (though they at least run the RAM at near-DDR4 speeds at 2133mhz).

Either of the dGPUs will be totally fine for FFXIV.

The Intel HD 620 absolutely will not though, in my experience.

dLMN8R

Surface Book 2 seems to be better than the new Surface Pro? Why does the Surface Pro offer over the Surface Book 2?

The Surface Pro is a much lighter and more portable device. It also is cheaper for the same specs.

2017 Surface Pro:
  • 2.41lbs with keyboard attached
  • .53" thick with keyboard attached
  • Kickstand so you can use it for watching movies and stuff even when the keyboard isn't attached
  • 12.3" display
  • Core i5 Kaby Lake / 256GB storage / 8GB ram is $1430 when you add the keyboard cover

Surface Book 2:
  • 3.38lbs with keyboard attached
  • .90" thick at its thickest point
  • 13.5" display
  • Core i5 Kaby Lake / 256GB storage / 8GB ram is $1500

I personally had a Surface Pro 3, then got the first Surface Book with the dedicated GPU (~940,), but moved back to the 2017 Surface Pro because I prefer the form factor. It's lighter, easier to carry around (which I do all the time), and is more flexible in how and where I prop it up thanks to the kickstand vs. the setup of the Book. And even with the dGPU in the Surface Book, I barely ever used it to play games.

I can definitely see why the Surface Book 2 is a more appealing choice to many, I'm just saying why I personally prefer the Surface Pro form factor.

^

As somebody who has owned both, the Surface Book is a much different beast to the Pro. I would never, ever go back to the Pro after having a Book.

I find even the latest iteration of the Pro has a garbage typing experience relative to the Book.

derFeef

As a SP3 owner and lover, I kinda don't know where to upgrade to.
Surface Laptop would suit me, Pro would suit me more, Book even more with gaming and producing on the go in mind.

dLMN8R

^

As somebody who has owned both, the Surface Book is a much different beast to the Pro. I would never, ever go back to the Pro after having a Book.

I find even the latest iteration of the Pro has a garbage typing experience relative to the Book.

Really? I use my Surface Pro for hours a day and absolutely love the keyboard. At least since the Surface Pro 4's keyboard - the keyboard on the Surface Pro 3 and earlier was pretty bad.

Also, after using the Surface Book for a couple years, I actually prefer the trackpad on the latest Surface Pros. It's smaller, but it always works more smoothly for me.

SFenton

Really? I use my Surface Pro for hours a day and absolutely love the keyboard. At least since the Surface Pro 4's keyboard - the keyboard on the Surface Pro 3 and earlier was pretty bad.

Also, after using the Surface Book for a couple years, I actually prefer the trackpad on the latest Surface Pros. It's smaller, but it always works more smoothly for me.

I like the Surface Pro because it's more portable, but as an overall form factor, the Book can just do more of what I want. Lounging on the couch? Tablet. Capture card running in? Set it up as a laptop. Light gaming? Use that GPU.

I use a Pro at work because I can just grab it and go, but I'm so excited that they've beefed up the Book hardcore, since I think it's going to open up so, so many use cases for me. One of the first times I've ever been truly encouraged to upgrade hardware day one.

dLMN8R

I like the Surface Pro because it's more portable, but as an overall form factor, the Book can just do more of what I want. Lounging on the couch? Tablet. Capture card running in? Set it up as a laptop. Light gaming? Use that GPU.

I use a Pro at work because I can just grab it and go, but I'm so excited that they've beefed up the Book hardcore, since I think it's going to open up so, so many use cases for me. One of the first times I've ever been truly encouraged to upgrade hardware day one.

It's absolutely more flexible in what it can do, but I disagree that the Book is more flexible in how and where I can use it.

I use my Surface Pro like this almost every day:

PL5AU0F.jpg

I can also use my Surface Pro to watch video on a plane or anywhere else without the keyboard attached, thanks to the kickstand. When I had a Book I always found it annoying to need to detach the keyboard, flip the display around (while in a cramped seat), and reattach it. And then the keyboard is facing away from me so when it was time to flip it back (or if I needed to pause what I was doing and type something quickly) I would need to change it all back. Sure it's not that big of a deal, it's just a little annoying compared to how easy it is to move around the Surface Pro keyboard.

I've used both form factors for over a year each. I simply prefer the Pro since I think the kickstand and the keyboard make it more convenient to do what I want, where I want, and how I want. But the Book is still an engineering marvel and is really cool for people who want more power, especially for gaming.

^

Which is not to say the experience is bad for a convertible, it's just that the book has a best in class laptop keyboard. I switched back mainly for an easier tablet experience, I found I missed the kickstand and ease of conversion a lot. But it's a damn good device especially for typing.

longdi

Banned
The new i7 8-series U cpus are real quad with HT, they are a great upgrade, i bet they will perform like older 45w HQ quads but with better thermals and battery. The price for 1060 SB looks good for the power you will get. Exciting times.

Granted MS improves on the Surface line reliability...

Which is not to say the experience is bad for a convertible, it's just that the book has a best in class laptop keyboard. I switched back mainly for an easier tablet experience, I found I missed the kickstand and ease of conversion a lot. But it's a damn good device especially for typing.

I don't want a Surface Pro anymore unless they massively improve the battery life. The one in the SP4 is just embarrassing.

grmlin

The new i7 8-series U cpus are real quad with HT, they are a great upgrade, i bet they will perform like older 45w HQ quads but with better thermals and battery. The price for 1060 SB looks good for the power you will get. Exciting times.

Granted MS improves on the Surface line reliability...

Oh, thats cool. The U in the name somewhat reminded me at the (for me) not fast enough ulbrabook CPUs.

Futureman

What about vs the Surface Laptop? Pro v Book v Laptop?

yea I would love to see a comparison between the top spec Laptop/Book2/Pro.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd prefer the top of the line Pro.

I currently have a SP4 and MBP and wouldn't mind moving to one machine at some point.

The similarly specced SP vs SB2 is ~$700 less expensive. Obviously the SB2 has the better internal graphics, but how else would they stack up? Is the RAM and SSD exactly the same? Are there any Pen improvements with the SB2 over SP?

Futureman

Any upgrade on the pen?

support chat...

"The new surface Pro as you mention is the first device which has 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity (and tilt).

For now, the new pen is supported by most devices, but not the 4096 levels and tilt (only on the new surface pro, these features will come to Surface Book/Studie early 2018

So purchasing the new pen and the book 2 will result in using only 1096 pressure levels for now, but it will be available for all devices from Surface 3, Pro 3-4 and Studio/Book 1/2"

I'm still kind of confused. But this is what MS told me in a chat.

I don't want a Surface Pro anymore unless they massively improve the battery life. The one in the SP4 is just embarrassing.

I've been happy with the SP5, 6-7 hours on the i7 while web browsing with quite a few tabs open, slack, playing music on youtube etc. It's not iPad tier but it's pretty good for a Windows laptop, and the i5 is better than the i7 on this front.

It'll be very interesting if they end up getting win32 emulation working properly on ARM, because if they could get a Surface Pro 6 running on an ARM CPU that could still reliably run Win32 (I'm very skeptical this is possible of course) it may result in a big leap in battery life.

JaggedSac

I've been happy with the SP5, 6-7 hours on the i7 while web browsing with quite a few tabs open, slack, playing music on youtube etc. It's not iPad tier but it's pretty good for a Windows laptop, and the i5 is better than the i7 on this front.

It'll be very interesting if they end up getting win32 emulation working properly on ARM, because if they could get a Surface Pro 6 running on an ARM CPU that could still reliably run Win32 (I'm very skeptical this is possible of course) it may result in a big leap in battery life.

Someone on Twitter, can't remember who, said that the battery results for arm was pretty wild.

Top Bottom