• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOOGLE releases new hyper secure email service

Kimawolf

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...-secure-email/ar-AAtEGcf?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=ientp

Google's rolls out new, crazy-secure, email
www.msn.com
Google on Tuesday rolled out a nasty-complicated but insanely secure version of its Google accounts aimed at "those who need it most," such as journalists, politicians and activists.

SAN FRANCISCO — Google on Tuesday rolled out a nasty-complicated but insanely secure version of its Google accounts aimed at "those who need it most," such as journalists, politicians and activists. It's not pretty but stands a good chance of keeping the bad guys out.

Called the Advanced Protection Program, it requires users to jump through a series of hoops most Internet companies have worked for years to make go away — dongles, extra passwords, locked-down systems that can't talk to anything else and a non-intuitive sign-up procedure.

Signing up requires a Google account and then linking not one but two dongles, or small devices that connects to a computer's USB port or via Bluetooth. Each produces a highly secure code key that uses the standards of the international FIDO Alliance (for Fast IDentity Online.)

These plastic keys are about the size of a regular door key but instead hold codes Google uses to verify that you’re you and that you should have access to the account. The key can go into the USB drive on a computer or via Bluetooth to a mobile device such as a phone.

So what do you think GAF? think this will stop any more "Podesta" issues from happening this time around? too much? Not enough? Sounds like its pretty much uncrackable.

So the dongle needs to be connected to the device you are checking email on? Because otherwise this just reads like a pretty standard two-step authentication thing.

faint.

This sounds great and all but most security advocates are moving away from Google. I guess it has a place for reporters and politicians, though.

sangreal

It's not for those people. It's not for preventing phishing.

Yes it is, that is exactly how Podesta and companies email accounts were hacked. It would not have worked with this system

Didn't Podesta only get hacked because he is a dumbass and didn't have two factor authentication turned on?

it got hacked because his aide thought it was a phishing attempt but the IT guy said it was legitimate (he says he meant to type illegitimate)

gcubed

It's secure and all but most people that get hacked don't turn it on because it's too much of a hassle. I'm sure some journalists may use it, but we will see if people want to take up the extra steps for security.

JettDash

it got hacked because his aide thought it was a phishing attempt but the IT guy said it was legitimate (he says he meant to type illegitimate)

But still, it wouldn't have happened if they just had two factor authentication turned on, right.

Some hacker isn't getting into my Google account even if I tell them the username and password.

tirminyl

But still, it wouldn't have happened if they just had two factor authentication turned on, right.

Some hacker isn't getting into my Google account even if I tell them the username and password.

Two factor authentication isn't the end all be all. You can still be hacked.

Two factor authentication isn't the end all be all. You can still be hacked.

Trust me, Google makes it EXTREMELY difficult to hack unless you make a series of fuck ups. I recently got locked out without my phone at night, and had to log into my gmail to gchat my roommate (I didn't know his phone number). If you log in from a foreign device it requires you to verify on a previously approved phone or computer and if you can't there's no way to get into your account.

Steejee

So their hyper-secure email is basically just real two-factor auth? Yay, I have that available already with the service I use (Runbox) and I'm sure there's tons of other services that have been offering it for a while.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Then you can tell me how it could happen.

intercepting the auth codes. adjustments to call forwarding, Especially if you have access to wireless carriers.

just because you have 2FA enabled on a few services, it's easy to manhandle the delivery mechanism.

People who click on Russian phishing links aren't gonna set up dongles and shit.

It's like some people can't be bothered to read 1 sentence of the OP before hitting 'Reply'

Google on Tuesday rolled out a nasty-complicated but insanely secure version of its Google accounts aimed at "those who need it most," such as journalists, politicians and activists.

Then you can tell me how it could happen.

It's not "widddeeee opennnn" but there's methods people have used successfully.

The most successful, hands-off, no theft required method is by spoofing your cell phone number usually with the help of your wireless provider. For every day schmucks like you and me it's pretty unlikely, but for journalists, politicians, activists, and other prominent people, this is very common. They figure out your wireless provider, contact them, and in most circumstances, the wireless provider is so stupid they send out a new sim card to the hacker. The hacker gets a burner phone, tosses your sim in there, and then tries to login to your account with the username/password that they've obtained earlier. They hit the 2SV (2 step verification) stop sign, and hijack your phone number at that moment, the text goes to them and not you, and they login to your account. By the time you get the notification that your legit phone has been deactivated, they're in there getting your stuff. By the time you can get a backup phone or somehow reach your wireless provider and shut it down, it's been hours. Smart hackers will also setup a new 2Factor number on your gmail so that it's ver ydifficult for you to get your email back over a few days.

Really sophisticated security experts (like, hired by governments) wouldn't want to deactivate your shit... THey'd spoof a sim and try to get two phones going at the same time so that you don't notice anything's wrong. They can also mimic a wireless tower so that your phone connects to them instead of to your provider. Dumb hackers just hijack your number. This was happening last year to a bunch of kinda/sorta prominent YouTubers, which is pretty scary. They're people who aren't famous at all, but their videos get a few thousands hits, and hackers were able to easily hijack their phone numbers and take over their email, bank accounts, and YouTube channels before the people had time to respond. And they're not famous or influential at all, just pretty much random mid-tier YouTubers. So if some putz somewhere is willing to put in a small amount of effort to undermine a relatively unknown celebrity, sophisticated hacking groups who target activists, politicians, and other high worth targets will be much greater.

Random idiots like us are relatively safe from this because it takes a decent amount of effort relative to what someone could get out of it.

JettDash

intercepting the auth codes. adjustments to call forwarding, Especially if you have access to wireless carriers.

just because you have 2FA enabled on a few services, it's easy to manhandle the delivery mechanism.

Now prove that it is easy to manhandle the delivery mechanism and intercept the codes.

I don't even know what you are talking about regarding call forwarding. Is that even an option in Google?

paperghost

Neo Member
In what world are any of the things you listed "easy"?

easiest way to grab a 2fa code delivered by mobile is to find out the target's phone number, then phone support and social engineer the CS into redirecting 2FA codes to your "replacement" mobile. not everyone will do it, but it has a surprisingly decent hit rate.

of course, gmail also works with google authenticator which is entirely offline and not tied to mobile networks. so a solid password, sensible use of security settings, and offline 2FA will be more than enough for most people - including most journos and activists.

i've worked with many journos and researchers who've already been given one of these things and so far the general reaction is a bit of a shrug. gmail works great out of the box, has a good selection of security features, and i'm still waiting to see a "all our data got jacked from a server and here's the download zip" news article after all these years.

if you decide to roll your own mail server, there's a good chance you'll see me commenting on it in newsweek or the register about a year later.

paperghost

Neo Member
My gut tells me I can trust Protonmail with offline 2FA more than anything from Google.

humorously, one of the offline authenticators used with protonmail is google authenticator, along with a few others you may or may not have heard of. at that point, it's a case of which authenticator you trust to not screw up.

Top Bottom