• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dollop [Podcast] -Comedians Discuss American History (w/ must-listen Iraq war ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

pJbGRQ7.jpg

The Dollop is a weekly podcast hosted by Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds. Each week one topic from American history is discussed at length.

Sources for each episode are posted on their site if you go to the page of the episode.

I originally made a thread for an individual episode here:
The story of the wife-swapping Yankees pitchers as told by comedians

It was interesting and hysterical. So I listened to some more episodes and it's a really good podcast and they source their facts.

I recently listened to their Iraq War episode and it is pretty amazing.

I was turned onto it by this Patton Oswalt tweet:
Blu7UMA.png

And I wasn't disappointed.

Subscribe to the podcast with whatever app you use, or go to the website.

The Iraq War episode: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/122-the-iraq-war
Direct mp3 episode link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/Iraq_War.mp3

It is 1 hour and 25 minutes long, and 58MB in size. (Episode starts 3m 14s)

If anyone decides to listen/subscribe we can talk about any episode here. The latest puritans and quakers episode is pretty good.

Coolluck

I've started to listen to this podcast because of the Podcast thread. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite podcasts. My first episode was Ten Cent Beer Night and I'm tempted to go back and re-listen to it which I rarely do with podcasts these days since there's just so many out there.

So because of this thread I listened to the Iraq war podcast

My reaction:

giphy.gif

the-simpsons-movie-957copia.jpeg

HOLY SHIT, that guy THAT ONE guy who just basically fucked up Iraq almost by himself should be going to The Hauge for war crimes not giving awards LOLOLOLOL

Seriously insane.

udiie

the MLB wife swap podcast was insanely hilarious
currently listening to the iraq war one, not disappointed

GOOD GOD!

I'm posting from beyond the grave, I'm literally dead!

I had heard some of this Iraq stuff before but listening to it all back to back is just horrible.

Gotta laugh to keep from crying.

GOOD GOD!

I had heard some of this Iraq stuff before but listening to it all back to back is just horrible.

Insane right I had the same thing, Iraq thing was like WHAT WHAT WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME :O :mad: :O :mad:

GOOD GOD!

Insane right I had the same thing, Iraq thing was like WHAT WHAT WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME :O :mad: :O :mad:

Yeah, this thread is almost mandatory for everyone on this forum for that episode alone.

I mean jesus fucking christ i thought i knew, but then the ghost of ronald fucking reagan snatches our souls from beyond the grave.

Piecake

What an amazing episode. The decision making process exhibited in this episode just seems so indicative of republican thinking.

Facts and evidence? Who gives a shit about that! Facts and evidence should conform to our ideology and beliefs, and if they don't we can ignore them or they are wrong. Ideology is what is most important!

What might be even worse is the penchant for conflating strong, decisive and immediate decisions with good decisions. Honestly, I see this a lot in politics in general, but it seems ubiquitous amongst the republican party because they seem to always have a hard-on for anyone who displays manly-strength, and strong, decisive, and immediate decisions is associated with 'manly-strength'. I mean, who the hell needs well-reasoned, deliberate and thoughtful decisions when you can beat people over the head with your manly decisions? Surely those manly decisions will awe and cower everyone into following your will because they exhibit such manly-strength, right?

What a cluster-fuck. I really did not expect it to be so worse than I imagined because I already thought the occupation was a complete disaster due to poor decision making.

Yeah, this thread is almost mandatory for everyone on this forum for that episode alone.

I mean jesus fucking christ i thought i knew, but then the ghost of ronald fucking reagan snatches our souls from beyond the grave.

I almost feel the need to go out on a busy street corner and start spreading the gospel of this. More people need to hear this to fully understand how bad it was.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"So they sent in someone to talk to the Grand Ayatollah to discuss the new Iraq policy."
"Who'd they send?"
"A urologist from Florida."
"....."

I almost feel the need to go out on a busy street corner and start spreading the gospel of this. More people need to hear this to fully understand how bad it was.

Yup, I mean this whole story should be on repeat until the entire media consuming public knows this.

We have Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld STILL saying "who knows what happened? we did the right thing though..."

Whats happening in France is THE DIRECT RESULT of our actions over there, it's insanity!

obin_gam

Just finished listening. In the beginning I was like "Yeah well it can't get any worse now can it".

I was wrong.

I've always known the amount of fuck ups in Iraq but it's different when hearing it all back-to-back in succession. I've learned from this that ISIS's formation isn't that hard to conjure up given the amount of fuckery that transpired during the US occupation of Iraq.

Like fuck Republicans, just fuck the entire party's contemporary existence; they are a blight to modern society and serve no purpose other than to fuck up either the US, the world, or both. Enough of this "both parties are equal" bullshit.

In the light of the Paris attacks, I dearly hope that France/the EU response will be guided with some semblance of logic/wisdom in contrast to the fuckery the US did which resulted in why such attacks happened in the first place.

Overall, this is definitely a must - listen for everyone on GAF or anyone who desires to know how and why the the Middle East is fucked, in addition to why and how it's affecting us living in western societies/nations.

Hazmat

The 10-cent beer night at a baseball game episode is definitely worth it if you don't know the story. It's worth it if you do know the story, actually.

The Iraq episode was great but the best episode is still the Competitive Tickling one. It's way back at the start maybe their third or fourth episode.

Piecake

What I find rather amazing is that you think that there would at least be someone high up in the administration, or at least Bush himself, that would make sure that the occupation/transfer of power was successful because the reputation and legacy of the administration hindered on that outcome.

It really shows you how incompetent Bush was as a president that he didn't keep close tabs on the planning and implementation of 'the plan'

Overall, this is definitely a must - listen for everyone on GAF or anyone who desires to know how and why the the Middle East is fucked, in addition to why and how it's affecting us living in western societies/nations.
THIS X1000000000000000000

So true this is a must listen to audio episode that should be heard by MILLIONS.

What I find rather amazing is that you think that there would at least be someone high up in the administration, or at least Bush himself, that would make sure that the occupation/transfer of power was successful because the reputation and legacy of the administration hindered on that outcome.

It really shows you how incompetent Bush was as a president that he didn't keep close tabs on the planning and implementation of 'the plan'
I think the show put it well it does not only show how bad Bush was but how little he cared about anything that was not directly him/personal friends/pals on the hill.

meppi

The topic is a year old and only 27 posts. Damn. :(

Wish this would get a lot more clicks as it's one of my favourite podcasts.

I recently started listening to this from the beginning so I haven't hit the Iraq war one yet but the competitive tickling episode is one of the best things ever.

Kinyou

The topic is a year old and only 27 posts. Damn. :(

Wish this would get a lot more clicks as it's one of my favourite podcasts.

For what it's worth, this topic made me aware of the podcast and I've been listening ever since.

3rdman

I was introduced to this podcast here in another thread (The New Jersey Shark Scare episode) and I can't thank that person enough...this podcast needs to be heard...so good.

A few episode recommendations...

Competitive Tickling
Hugh Glass
The Chameleon
Jack Pardon
Vampire Scare in the US

Buckle

Still my favorite podcast years later. Its just amazing.

Always surprised it seems to fly under so many people's radar.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The part at the end of the Iraq war one, where they mention how people elected Bush because he was a business man and "knew" how to run a business...my god, we've come full circle.

Buckle

just a random episode recommendation: #200 - Otto in the Attic
Probably one of the best in a long time. Just a batshit insane story with some fun commentary and great guests.

Anytime Hammo or the girls from My Favorite Murder are guests, good times seem to be happening. They gel really well with Dave and Gary.

Buckle

Iron Mike Malloy is a great shorter one.

They managed to kill him right before they had to bring out the ultimate nullifier.

bionic77

Thanks for the recommendation.

I can't listen to Rogan anymore and the Champs is over so hopefully this will be my new jam!

The cereal episode, the 1902 Olympics, sharks, when the cars came, Victor lustig and all the Irish ones are top tier

Just started the lobotomy episode but stopped early on, don't think I can listen to it without getting really upset. Probably going to skip the Iraq war one for the same reasons tbh

Jag

Having listened to a bunch of these. I'm going to strongly recommend a book that I found fascinating and very much like the Dollop.

17262366.jpg

It's by Bill Bryson who has a great way of telling interesting and very funny stories. He also wrote Short History of Nearly Everything and A Walk in The Woods.

The summer of 1927 began with one of the signature events of the twentieth century: on May 21, 1927, Charles Lindbergh became the first man to cross the Atlantic by plane nonstop, and when he landed in Le Bourget airfield near Paris, he ignited an explosion of worldwide rapture and instantly became the most famous person on the planet. Meanwhile, the titanically talented Babe Ruth was beginning his assault on the home run record, which would culminate on September 30 with his sixtieth blast, one of the most resonant and durable records in sports history. In between those dates a Queens housewife named Ruth Snyder and her corset-salesman lover garroted her husband, leading to a murder trial that became a huge tabloid sensation. Alvin “Shipwreck” Kelly sat atop a flagpole in Newark, New Jersey, for twelve days—a new record. The American South was clobbered by unprecedented rain and by flooding of the Mississippi basin, a great human disaster, the relief efforts for which were guided by the uncannily able and insufferably pompous Herbert Hoover. Calvin Coolidge interrupted an already leisurely presidency for an even more relaxing three-month vacation in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The gangster Al Capone tightened his grip on the illegal booze business through a gaudy and murderous reign of terror and municipal corruption. The first true “talking picture,” Al Jolson’s The Jazz Singer, was filmed and forever changed the motion picture industry. The four most powerful central bankers on earth met in secret session on a Long Island estate and made a fateful decision that virtually guaranteed a future crash and depression.

It's a fascinating snapshot of a short period of US History but one that still affects our lives today.

nickgia

More must listens:

3- Competitive tickling (The best one)
4- Ghosts
8- The Dolphin (the 2nd best one)
15- Ten Cent Beer Night
56- Newport Sex Scandal
88- The Trojan Taco
101- The Death of George Washington
104- The Hippo Bill

obin_gam

More must listens:

3- Competitive tickling (The best one)
4- Ghosts
8- The Dolphin (the 2nd best one)
15- Ten Cent Beer Night
56- Newport Sex Scandal
88- The Trojan Taco
101- The Death of George Washington
104- The Hippo Bill

Also Nim the Chimp.

Jag

"So they sent in someone to talk to the Grand Ayatollah to discuss the new Iraq policy."
"Who'd they send?"
"A urologist from Florida."
"....."

Listening to Iraq now and thinking of all the people Trump is appointing to government with no qualifications just because they supported him.

We are now doing here, what we did over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom