• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Burt

oh the effects and stuff are cosmetic? my bad. crisis averted.

though i still think i should be able to play ridiculous hours to unlock stuff.

People throw hundreds upon hundreds of hours into this game. They already give you a more complete game than what full price games give you nowadays, what with DLC and all, for free, how would they make any money if people could just grind cosmetics when the entire game is essentially just grinding?

The only thing that caught my eye was the Summon Statues spell effect for Summon Skeletons skill. That looks cool and is 10 bucks. Maybe I'd get that someday. Other than that, don't see much... the entire game is free.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes they said that monster and even more things can be bought later. Actually i think it is awesome for some people who do a lot of art.
Like, monster skins or "make your own monsters" o_o?

KaYotiX

Banned
it's not really perfect unless players have the option to buy shit or play to unlock it. that is the only acceptable model.

Why?

I think their model is perfect IMO, if you want to add effects to your spells and weapons you have to pay just a little if you don't care then you don't bother. The game will still play the same.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I got an extra 8% chaos resist which I'll probably not even use.
Yeah, I just saw that this was the ONLY passive point with Chaos Resistance... that's embarrassing :lol

IifcxR6.png

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on cosmetic stuff, but judging from games like Dota 2, you'd be surprised how many people are willing to drop bank for such stuff. If the game has a decent sized player base then they'll be fine.

Yeah, and aren't hats like a huge economy in TF2? I personally won't ever understand that, seems hilariously pointless to me, but whatever! I'd rather buy a pet in this game; at least I'd be able to see it when playing!

So, yeah, I really hope their model works out for them, because this way of doing F2P is extremely positive for players.

Eh, guess if I wanted to sink $10 in for microtransaction money I would have been better off just buying the pre-purchase closed beta yesterday.

Oh well. I'll just check stuff out first before I sink any money in.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It is absolutely ridiculous though that you get 46 points for $5 and 96 points for $10. That is fucked up. When your cost amounts are even, your point costs should be even.

Yoshichan

kind of disappointing. Would be nice if they had some player specific functionality, not battle specific mind you, but perhaps a pet who also helps you pick up currency items.

Oh well.
Oh God, why do I get the DH ferret-vibes from that?!

Soule

i meant cosmetic stuff. oh well i'll deal.

Dunno if you play Dota 2 or TF2 where you can get cosmetic gear by just playing the game but I've always seen them as exceptions to the rule. Having said that I think a very low/slow rate of unlocking some cosmetic items could be good for the developers, I know I wouldn't have spent nearly as much money on Valve cosmetics if I didn't have a couple of items from one set and knowing it would take an unreasonable amount of time to finish the set so I just purchase the rest. Really good way to give people a taste for the store, then again it could backfire and kill their profitability if done incorrectly so I think it's safer for them to follow their current model.

They took a trick or two from Microsoft, it seems.

Yep. Damn the PoE Allards!

Why?

I think their model is perfect IMO, if you want to add effects to your spells and weapons you have to pay just a little if you don't care then you don't bother. The game will still play the same.

Valve does it better. You can pay for stuff if you want, otherwise you'll slowly earn random things over time that you can trade or craft into the stuff you want. Much more efficient to buy if you want something specific, but you still get to partake even if you don't spend money.

Burt

Wow, they nerfed energy shield so hard. Besides the Chaos Inoculation nerf, they also moved Unnatural Calm (15% ES and ES recovery) a node further away, then added 2% ES to like 11 different nodes in the Witch and Shadow tree, most of which are really spread out. I might not even be decided on which class to roll once the game opens up now.

Volodja

Yep. Damn the PoE Allards!

Valve does it better. You can pay for stuff if you want, otherwise you'll slowly earn random things over time that you can trade or craft into the stuff you want. Much more efficient to buy if you want something specific, but you still get to partake even if you don't spend money.
Valve also has a ton of stuff in their store and they keep pouring items out frequently, especially with the help of the community.
I doubt GGG could do the same, so I can completely understand keeping barely cosmetic stuff behind a paywall.

Yoshichan

No, there are others
Yeah, you're right - I double checked and there are like 4 of them. What the hell, how did I miss those? I searched for "Chaos" and it only showed one passive the first time I did it :lol

R1CHO

Valve is doing it with a game that wasn't design to be f2p, a game we bought back in the day.

Are they doing that with dota2? I don't even know, but tbh, dota is... dota.

Yoshichan

One hour to go! Setting the music up :D

yLysT6p.png

garath

Keep this on hand: http://www.poeex.info/

It isn't going to be terribly accurate at the very start of OB with so many new players, but this gives you a rough idea of the item rarity itself which means things are going to settle into numbers like this again.

Wow this thread is moving fast.

Awesome resource. I'm bookmarking that. Very valuable. Thanks!

inky

Quick question: Last time I played I wasn't able to bind my mouse buttons 4&5 (microsoft mouse) to skills. Is it a common issue and is there any way around that?

garath

Their website is getting hammered. I'm having trouble loading the shop. Just wanted to look around at the new stuff. lol.

Guess I'll be patient.

mileS

I'm a bit confused on how weapon/helm effects work. Is it like the pets in the micro tab. An item that stays there and you just click it on and off. Or is it something I'm dragging out on the item itself making it disappear from the tab. Basically I'm wondering if I can use the helm effect on one character. switch to another and use it there. Instead of one at a time. If anyone understands this better can you please fill me in. I assume we will probably have to wait to make sure.

Yoshichan

Holy shit speeds just went through the roof, I'm not dropping below 2.5mb/sec which is kinda crazy for my connection
Stop stealing my Mbs!

syko de4d

So, bought one Premium Stash Tab Bundle.

Will work like this in my stash, the tabs with a name represent Premium Tabs:

[Weapons][normal Tab][normal Tab][Armor][normal Tab][normal Tab][Uniques][normal Tab][normal Tab][Red Gems][normal Tab][Blue Gems][normal Tab][Green Gems][normal Tab]

ACE 1991

So to those who have dumped tons of time into this game, does the combat stay fun? Say what you will about Diablo 3, but that game played beautifully.

Top Bottom