• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't go to the movies much
Me either, but keep your head up. We'll get through this.

I assume the character is still voiced by Laura Bailey.
Ugh. It would've been nice to see a black woman in the role. Do black women even get work like that in the video game industry? If other parts are scarce, I assume no.
Wasn't Cleveland from Family Guy a white dude?

Yeah. It was weird to me at first, but I got used to it after a while and forgot.

D i Z

Nadine is still voiced by that white woman from 4 right? I just watched the new gameplay of it and she still sounds white.

Yes, Laura Bailey is still voicing her.

Ugh. It would've been nice to see a black woman in the role. Do black women even get work like that in the video game industry? If other parts are scarce, I assume no.

A few. Right now Gina Torres, Janina Gavankar (not black, Indian heritage) have been highly profiled for what's to come this year. I'm sure if we actually took the time to look at who is voicing who, we'd have a list that we could work with.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...oiced-by-white-actors-uncharted-4-nadine-ross

While researching casting calls for voice actors, I expected to find data that closely resembled that Hollywood. What I found was nothing.

When I spoke to Adam Moore, who directs the the Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity department of SAG-AFTRA over the phone, Moore told me that he currently had no data to give me. "Do I have data specifically on the demographic of voice over performers with respect to their race or ethnicity? The answer is no...Is there a tendency to hire more people from the predominant communities in entertainment, being historically Caucasian and historically male? The answer is yes."

If we're talking video game VO with Black Women, compared to cartoons there seems to be more in cartoon voices. But theres very little data supporting any information of Black Women doing VO work for video games.

http://www.thezonegamer.com/2015/09/10-awesome-black-voice-actors-in-video.html

darklin0

Banned

Off the top of my head, Cherrelle Skeete plays the voice for Orisa in Overwatch.

Overwatch in general has great casting for each of the characters.

D i Z

There are a couple of VO communities that absolutely dominate the field. There isn't much room for new comers or even the actual people that had their visuals and heritage lifted for character inspiration with these studios that adore these cliques.

Oh yeah Overwatch has a diverse cast, but you were asking about black VO.
Again, I'm betting that not many could immediately pull up who in this fabulous black woman lineup from E3 is actually voiced by a black actress. Do the work first. Complain about the results when you've got em.

Malyse

it scares the scientist that started it she talks about her fears a lot

We can really have a Beyond Good and Evil 2 type world if we start taking Crispr that far

PigMen and MonkeyMen are real lol maybe not (I hope)
I'm more worried about it being weaponized. You could have instant genocide with the proper agent of deployment. I mean, you could make a virus that only killed people with certain genetic markers. Like skin color.

----

Y'all need to stop playing like I ain't been saying Moana was lit since the first trailers.

I'm more worried about it being weaponized. You could have instant genocide with the proper agent of deployment. I mean, you could make a virus that only killed people with certain genetic markers. Like skin color.

----

Y'all need to stop playing like I ain't been saying Moana was lit since the first trailers.

When you put it like that......shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. that is scary.

----

I reckon they already do that with bullets. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was being worked on in this way as well, tin foil hat and all.

Finishing up the new season of flash.

Flash is one of my favorites, but it's the one show I'm always saying "why didn't you do it this way? You fuck!"

We could be the best Barry, the fucking best.....

----

You know what if you could think of it to worry about it best believe it is already happening in one of those damn Military/War firms.

Slayven

Ms. Manky forgive me

I have an idea for a scifi story where in the future a group of androids resurrect Marie Curie, Helen Keller, Cripus Attucks, and as the leader Harriet Tubman as cyborgs to fight their oppressive masters.

The battle cry would be "They can't format us but one time"

What the hell is wrong with me

Numb

Ms. Manky forgive me

I have an idea for a scifi story where in the future a group of androids resurrect Marie Curie, Helen Keller, Cripus Attucks, and as the leader Harriet Tubman as cyborgs to fight their oppressive masters.

smhp.gif

Young Magus

Ms. Manky forgive me

A lot..........
A lots wrong with ya

Gattsu25

Banned
Ms. Manky forgive me

Wait...what?

Sch1sm

Ms. Manky forgive me

This is what happens when you stay up past your bedtime.

—

Ramadan’s nearly up and I’m excited. Potentially only 3 more fasting days left. 4 at max. Looking forward to the ability to eat at whatever hour I please, and to go out freely. Haven’t really done much but laze around considering how hot it’s been. That, and no water? Disastrous. Hard pass.

Ms. Manky forgive me

Someone sneak this old fogey his meds in his tapioca.

Slayven

This is what happens when you stay up past your bedtime.

—

Ramadan’s nearly up and I’m excited. Potentially only 3 more fasting days left. 4 at max. Looking forward to the ability to eat at whatever hour I please, and to go out freely. Haven’t really done much but laze around considering how hot it’s been. That, and no water? Disastrous. Hard pass.
What's hot for canada?

Ms. Manky forgive me

I'll write the TV pilot after the success of the film

What's hot for canada?
An American 6

LotusHD

Banned
Saw Wonder Woman today, easily the best movie as basically everyone said it was. That said, it didn't blow me away either, though it did have some neat scenes. Also the chemistry between Diana and Steve was surprisingly decent.

Ms. Manky forgive me

That earthquake rattled ya damn brain

Faustek

Slayven... You need to stop.

LOL. Don't blame ya.

I haven't seen any of his non-formers films. (except the rock) But i don't doubt you.

Armageddon was ok but then I kinda have a soft spot for Papa Bear and effed up teeth.
And I kinda liked Bad Boys. A lot.

Morning, everyone. What's going on in he-

Ms. Manky forgive me

Why?

Kreed

Ms. Manky forgive me

0SACLUS.gif

hypernima

Banned
im lttp but holistic shit for sickle cell has been offered to me my whole life and has literally made me so vexed, everyones like why dont you just try it you have nothing to lose? well fuck you, its not your problem, your body and yes i have a lot to lose if this bullshit makes me even sicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom