• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Reuters) Sony's Vita arrives just as market may be fading

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Gartner's Gartenberg said Sony might want to consider a price cut. Vitas would be flying off the shelves at $79 or $99 each, he added.
Wait....what?
a 4-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore with 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM & a 5-inch OLED multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, 24-bit color, 960 × 544 qHD @ 220 ppi
yeah! all that just for 50 quid, lovely...............TWAT!, the Vita ain't no my sweet sixteen blackberry, frigging idiot.

Vinci

Danish
price drops and nintendo releasing franchise titles over the holidays helped a ton winning over consumers... but i'm more concerned about the future... how will these systems fare 2-3 years down the line... apple updates their phones yearly... while handhelds are 2-3 years tops.

Let's explore this: Why would the rate of incremental updates matter?

business models will have to change to keep apple from taking over with fad smartphones and tons of shovelware games.

What makes you believe that shovelware games will help Apple take over in the long run?

And I suggested this where?

We play games to be entertained. If I can spend 99 cents and be entertained for hours, it's hard to justify $40 to $50 for that same entertainment.

You measured entertainment by hours, which is a numeric form of ROI. You also made no distinction between what mobile games offer and what other systems offer. This tells me that you want the most amount of hours of entertainment for your money regardless of the content, which makes sense only if you're very price sensitive.

If I read you wrong, I apologize. No offense was meant.

Strike

I don't think Uncharted and your average iOS game are "that same entertainment". Both are games, but totally different experiences. It's like asking why anyone would spend weeks reading War and Peace when they could burn through Captain Underpants in one sitting.
Or like comparing a gourmet pizza to a hot pocket. Similar, but not the same.

Fuck yeah, let's put random 22-year old dude in the article. Shouldn't you be in school, son? You better start saving for that tuition credit, instead of buying an iPad.

Wasn't sure it could happen but somehow you were actually able to outdo the stupid comment about the Vita price cut. Congrats!

I really, really want a Vita right now. Looks fantastic.

However, I don't feel very positive about the future of the handheld. Unfortunately. Here's hoping.

It needs more compelling games.

The 3DS got some and began to sell.

The Vita gets a couple of killer apps and it will sell too.

The Problem for Sony is that unlike Nintendo they don't got guaranteed known ip's in their back pocket.

That's what has been keeping Nintendo afloat for years. Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. Shit is made.

Sony needs to find their Mario. Their Pokemon (it was monster hunter..but lol). and so on.

Make it so Gamers want the system and the rest will follow.

The problem is that they have to rely on 3rd parties moreso than Nintendo does and well..good luck with that.

As for the whole Iphone vs Portable thing...I think both can co-exsist. Personally I don't play games on my Iphone, to me they aren't fun and I always wish I had buttons. BUT I'm sure others find that stuff amazing and don't care.

There's enough to go around.

Just make the games and people will come.

PKrockin

So, I'm assuming this is the same doom and gloom smartphone garbage that gets posted every week for everyone to laugh at?

It is pretty funny how the 3DS is suddenly being completely ignored now that it doesn't fit these theories about the death of handheld gaming.

I think with a price drop and that first Monster Hunter game built from the ground up for the Vita, it'll be huge in Japan. I say in less than two or three years (whenever MH comes out) it could be the biggest selling handheld over there all because of MH.

Here in the west...I'm really not sure.

As of right now, I think the Vita will stay afloat because of gamers and a price drop may boost sales for the fence sitters. But I really don't know if it'll be a huge success. I hope it is because I want to see it reach its potential.

I hope it at least does better than the PSP did in the west.

Foffy

Banned

The Problem for Sony is that unlike Nintendo they don't got guaranteed known ip's in their back pocket.

That's what has been keeping Nintendo afloat for years. Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. Shit is made.

Sony needs to find their Mario. Their Pokemon (it was monster hunter..but lol). and so on.

The problem is that they have to rely on 3rd parties moreso than Nintendo does and well..good luck with that.

As for the whole Iphone vs Portable thing...I think both can co-exsist. Personally I don't play games on my Iphone, to me they aren't fun and I always wish I had buttons. BUT I'm sure others find that stuff amazing and don't care.

This post is so true. Software sells hardware. Vita needs big software to sell hardware. The games on Vita right now seem to appeal to those who already love the hardware.

I think the bigger issue is that Sony needs to stop treating handhelds like a joke. Look at the teams making the handheld iterations of Sony's franchises. None of their A teams, not even their B teams. Nintendo will have their main studios making games for both consoles and handhelds but Sony still doesn't take them serious enough. Naughty Dog, arguably their most renown studio, doesn't even have anything planned for the Vita!

This isn't to say the teams making Vita games can't produce great games. Gravity Daze looks pretty awesome but, you get my point.

Tookay

It is pretty funny how the 3DS is suddenly being completely ignored now that it doesn't fit these theories about the death of handheld gaming.

Nintendo is always the exception and excluded, unless it's doing unsuccessfully, then it's suddenly relevant to the discussion.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Arcade games will fail because of compnsole games.

A good response. I just don't know how many people who owned DS and PSP systems are switching over to Angry Birds/smartphones exclusively and aren't doing it just from growing up. A significant portion of the handheld market are children, and yes, more and more children are getting smartphones and iPod Touches, but I think Apple is expanding the audience or going for a different audience more than they are stealing it from Sony/Nintendo. I think the market has reduced in size, but I don't think people are going to ignore these devices as much as some people believe they are.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They have wiggle room with the price based on, iirc, some figures I saw a few weeks ago. 199 is very possible if needed, just let people download a first party launch title for free from PSN, for those who paid 249. Too early to make that kind of decision in any case. When 249 was first announced, it was lower then expectations.

But the article, 79? bwahahaha
I have taken marketing, and I can't for the life of me figure out how an educated person could even suggest that.

The combination of brand value, and comparative value for the Vita is pretty good at 249.99. At 199 it would be a steal compared to similar products including phones.

Dropping the price to 79 would be so far undercutting any similar products, people would assume something was wrong with it.

Also photographers will stop buying DSLR's because the iphone has 8MP camera this year.
Audiophiles will stop buying expensive headphones because there iphone comes with a pair of headphones and graphic designers will stop using photoshop because there iphone has some random photo editing app on it.

There will always be room for the dedicated device. The iphone does a lot but it isnt the best at most of it.

Maybe Sony and Nintendo need to rethink there strategies next time.

IMO the next sony handheld should be a tablet. The vita is already half way there being not very pocket friendly. Go all the way and make it 7+ inches and give it a lot more multimedia stuff.

yes, let's compare a gaming device that itself produces nothing more than sub-par experiences that we've already had on actual consoles to god-damn PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT/SOFTWARE. That makes total sense.

I swear to god, people still defending the Vita must be disillusional to a point that it's becoming uncomfortable going into these threads. I mean, at this point even Sony doesn't believe in their own handheld... I mean look at all the "amazing" 1st party studios putting out games for it.

Yes the iPhone has killed the Vita and not the 3DS for a myriad of reasons. It's time you people started accepting it.
No one is hating on the Vita. Hell, I love the device more than I expected to, but let's face it, it's dead on arrival.

Edit: Also, the iPad 3 is happening in 2 weeks. I mean, jeez.

Vinci

Danish
Arcade games will fail because of compnsole games.

It's more convenient to play the same and/or very similar game at my home than to travel somewhere and feed a machine quarters. Notice how much this relates to the argument some people make against PC gaming: Convenience is a huge factor for people. Mobile games are more convenient than console or PC games, but they aren't the same. When they do in fact reach a point of parity, then we can discuss the import of the rationale you're using. More than that, I'll agree with you. =)

thirty

Banned
the best thing for console/handheld manufacturers to do would be to play up their old catalog of nes, snes, gb, gba, n64, ps, ps2, psp for between 2 and 5 a pop. Maybe 10 at max but I truly don't understand why its taking so long. 3rd parties could do the same. Instead we get 40 launch period classic games and a piss trickle of classic games per month onward. Wtf?

I think the bigger issue is that Sony needs to stop treating handhelds like a joke. Look at the teams making the handheld iterations of Sony's franchises. None of their A teams, not even their B teams. Nintendo will have their main studios making games for both consoles and handhelds but Sony still doesn't take them serious enough. Naughty Dog, arguably their most renown studio, doesn't even have anything planned for the Vita!

This isn't to say the teams making Vita games can't produce great games. Gravity Daze looks pretty awesome but, you get my point.

this again? I'll say this regarding Naughty Dog, unless you don't want Last of Us to exist or for ND to not make early year PS4 game, then don't complaint about them not making Vita games. they have their hands full with other projects already.

Also, Bend Studio is totally A class team. WipeOut 2048 come from the main WipeOut team, Media Molecule is making a Vita game, same with Guerilla Games. and Gravity Daze is a full on console title before it shift to Vita so you can't really say Sony is half-assing their Vita game development.

Sony don't want to shift resource from one extreme to the other extreme (from PS3 to Vita) they want to balance the resource between the two device (3 if you count PS4 in development)

kitch9

Banned
I'm kinda wanting a Vita just for the tech, but then reason kicks in and I realise I would never lug it out with me so it would remain as a curiositet and an expensive one to boot.

It's pretty funny to remember how I played all day long with my imported PSP and Lumines/Wipeout combo back on the day... Exactly the same games I would like to have on a Vita.

Vita suits those long trips in life, whereas Phones do not. The overall quality of the thing blows my mind, Sony obviously realised they had to make something special to attract the punters and they have. The sheer quality of it means I'll probably play it around the house a lot, something I couldn't say about any other handheld as playing them was cumbersome, the Vita is the opposite of that.

I think Sony are on to something with this machine, people who see it WILL be impressed. I'm massively impressed and I run top of the line smartphones and have done for years.

kitch9

Banned
is the vita the most negative game system launch ever?

Forums are full of fucktards who don't own one but think they know everything about them, and then there are other forums full of delighted owners who can't wait to show their friends.

I have a feeling this thing will spread, the machine quality is Sony of old and there's nothing on the market that scratches a mobile gamers itch quite like it.

the best thing for console/handheld manufacturers to do would be to play up their old catalog of nes, snes, gb, gba, n64, ps, ps2, psp for between 2 and 5 a pop. Maybe 10 at max but I truly don't understand why its taking so long. 3rd parties could do the same. Instead we get 40 launch period classic games and a piss trickle of classic games per month onward. Wtf?

too many games at once will leave some of them to suffer low sales.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
yes, let's compare a gaming device that itself produces nothing more than sub-par experiences that we've already had on actual consoles to god-damn PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT/SOFTWARE. That makes total sense.

I swear to god, people still defending the Vita must be disillusional to a point that it's becoming uncomfortable going into these threads. I mean, at this point even Sony doesn't believe in their own handheld... I mean look at all the "amazing" 1st party studios putting out games for it.

Yes the iPhone has killed the Vita and not the 3DS for a myriad of reasons. It's time you people started accepting it.
No one is hating on the Vita. Hell, I love the device more than I expected to, but let's face it, it's dead on arrival.

What amazing 1st party Nintendo games did the 3DS have at launch? Did Nintendo not believe in their own handheld either? You could say that with essentially almost every launch ever that said company "didn't care" about their product.

From all these doom and gloom Vita articles you'd come under the impression that the only electronic devices that exist are Apple products. As if nobody else ever co-existed and created a market for their own device just because they're rubbing shoulders with Apple. Clearly that is completely and utterly impossible to do.

kitch9

Banned
So you are saying there is no reason for the media to be poopooing it? I agree

The media poopooed the PS2.

Look how that turned out. Sony gets a rough time in the media, always has. They don't help themselves sometimes with the crazy shit they come out with in the press, but the media always seem to turn a blind eye to Apple who've just been shoving underpowered hardware in nice looking, yet very expensive casing for decades. The 4S got a dual core CPU months after their competitors for a much higher price and everyone thought it was the best thing since sliced bread cos you could talk to it. (Albeit it has to be in a room with no background noise, and it has to be certain questions only.)

zoukka

Vita suits those long trips in life, whereas Phones do not. The overall quality of the thing blows my mind, Sony obviously realised they had to make something special to attract the punters and they have. The sheer quality of it means I'll probably play it around the house a lot, something I couldn't say about any other handheld as playing them was cumbersome, the Vita is the opposite of that.

I think Sony are on to something with this machine, people who see it WILL be impressed. I'm massively impressed and I run top of the line smartphones and have done for years.

Tech geeks have been in Sonys pocket for decades now. They are not a problem. I am now older, have less free time and don't want to have any extra equipment on me when I move around. Like you said, I could go with Vita on long trips, but I have my laptop and tablet with me on long trips anyway on default. Those will easily entertain me for any amount of time. Whether Vita would offer more quality games for those trips is irrelevant I'm afraid.

So then there's the traditional gamer who will get these machines for their games. And that's where Vita competed with Nintendo, who have a cheaper alternative with guaranteed IP's. It's a hard place to be.

The media poopooed the PS2.

Look how that turned out. Sony gets a rough time in the media, always has. They don't help themselves sometimes with the crazy shit they come out with in the press, but the media always seem to turn a blind eye to Apple who've just been shoving underpowered hardware in nice looking, yet very expensive casing for decades. The 4S got a dual core CPU months after their competitors for a much higher price and everyone thought it was the best thing since sliced bread cos you could talk to it. (Albeit it has to be in a room with no background noise, and it has to be certain questions only.)

lol the media basically destroyed Dreamcast by hyping the PS2 as something it never was.

And you dissing Apple and ignoring the one most important reason why they sell, doesn't give a very good impression on your critical thinking.

Perkel

Banned

Well you look unconfortable dude.

Lunch titles are awasome, Iphone didn't kill Vita nor any gaming device. Stop trying to be Patcher or "analyst" and try to have fun with your gaming device.

PSP is also dead by many but i'm still playing and there are far more better games for PSP than Whole Appstore +Anndroid store. Currently waiting for Final Fantasy Type-0 playing Tactics Ogre which is currently in my top 10 games ever. This remake is just mindblowing.

As of "I mean look at all the "amazing" 1st party studios putting out games for it."

Rly ? Look Uncharted 1st day, duperb game for many, Wipeout 2048 for me any manny other it is just minblowing. Zipper in few weeks will deliver their game. That is a lack of support ?

Chill out and take a deep breath, sales aren't something that you shoud be angry about.

edit:

There are people who care about angry birds and there are people who don't give a shit about almost anything on app store.

Quality just isn't there. And IMO will never be for same reason why many people stated that vita will fail with it's 30$+ game. 1$ games are killing market for something pricier.

Games are what create handheld nor it's price or hardware.

Peopla all time talk about gaming on their Iphone and when i ask what they play they say something like Farm frenzy, Angry Birds, Tetris etc. Yes those are games. But i don't feel pasionate about any of them, Almost all game will give me nothing to remember in next years.

People all time are bitching about 250$ meanwhile they go to iSpot or most of e devices shop buying thing far more expensive than 250$. Eat less, buy few less things and you will have your vita. In my country vita is like 1/3 of medium sallary and still people are buying it or any other gaming device or games for 60$.

I don't understand this market for go big or die. If something is earning for itself then it's a succes not a failture. And consedering Vita they will earn quick on it.

Sony don't want to shift resource from one extreme to the other extreme (from PS3 to Vita) they want to balance the resource between the two device (3 if you count PS4 in development)

And Sony should stop their PS3 developments right now. They are wasting resources that could be used on the PS4 and the Vita.

RedSwirl

People will forget about all this shit when the Vita get's a killer app... IF it get's a killer app.

People said the same shit about the 3DS until Mario, and more importantly Mario Kart came out. You could argue that iOS is so popular for gaming because of Angry Birds being its killer app.

Been wondering. How many games have a solid 30+ fps? Every demo I tried seemed to be running at a sub 30 framerate with a fairly long loading time.

Might just be demo versions... but that stuff is disappointing =/

kitch9

Banned
Tech geeks have been in Sonys pocket for decades now. They are not a problem. I am now older, have less free time and don't want to have any extra equipment on me when I move around. Like you said, I could go with Vita on long trips, but I have my laptop and tablet with me on long trips anyway on default. Those will easily entertain me for any amount of time. Whether Vita would offer more quality games for those trips is irrelevant I'm afraid.

So then there's the traditional gamer who will get these machines for their games. And that's where Vita competed with Nintendo, who have a cheaper alternative with guaranteed IP's. It's a hard place to be.

lol the media basically destroyed Dreamcast by hyping the PS2 as something it never was.

And you dissing Apple and ignoring the one most important reason why they sell, doesn't give a very good impression on your critical thinking.

People have been paying a higher price for lesser hardware with Apple for decades, I'm not saying its a bad thing, Apple clearly identified a market who weren't concerned what was on the inside as long as it looked good and its clearly paid off massively for them in the end once they managed to become en vogue on a mass market scale.

PS2 got hammered in the early days, it was too expensive, it wouldn't sell, they couldn't make enough etc etc. The usual contradictory bullshit.

Fact is, Ive never seen such overwhelmingly positive feedback from owners for a device over the internet than I have with the Vita, so if that doesn't spread then yeah its fair to say the markets screwed.

zoukka

People have been paying a higher price for lesser hardware with Apple for decades, I'm not saying its a bad thing, Apple clearly identified a market who weren't concerned what was on the inside as long as it looked good and its clearly paid off massively for them in the end once they managed to become en vogue on a mass market scale.

PS2 got hammered in the early days, it was too expensive, it wouldn't sell, they couldn't make enough etc etc. The usual contradictory bullshit.

Fact is, Ive never seen such overwhelmingly positive feedback from owners for a device over the internet than I have with the Vita, so if that doesn't spread then yeah its fair to say the markets screwed.

You are contradicting yourself here. And let's get one thing clear here. Apple products sell because they have amazing user interface most of the time that everyone copies immediately after a new device is launched from them. You can try to wiggle yourself out of this, but you'll just look like a fanboy.

And again, PS2 wasn't hammered in general. The Dreamcast was cheaper, had better games and even online, yet somehow the overpriced DVD player won. (DVD of course helped a lot).

And the fact is that if you visit any Apple product thread you'll find exactly the same amount of praise that you are seeing in Vita threads :)

guek

Banned
You are contradicting yourself here. And let's get one thing clear here. Apple products sell because they have amazing user interface most of the time that everyone copies immediately after a new device is launched from them. You can try to wiggle yourself out of this, but you'll just look like a fanboy.

And again, PS2 wasn't hammered in general. The Dreamcast was cheaper, had better games and even online, yet somehow the overpriced DVD player won. (DVD of course helped a lot).

And the fact is that if you visit any Apple product thread you'll find exactly the same amount of praise that you are seeing in Vita threads :)

Dreamcast probably shouldn't be used as an example for anything. It's just about always the exception to the rule. Weaker hardware but great games with rampant piracy and a fiscally inept manufacturer that couldn't afford to support the hardware after 2 years.

zoukka

Dreamcast probably shouldn't be used as an example for anything. It's just about always the exception to the rule. Weaker hardware but great games with rampant piracy and a fiscally inept manufacturer that couldn't afford to support the hardware after 2 years.

I was only using it as an example to counter the "sony bias" he presented. You hear it in every single generation from sony fans and it's quite irritating. If the general attitude towards PS2 would've been hostile back then things could be very different right now. I remember all the gaming magazines waiting PS2 as the "true" next gen device compared to dreamcast and when the launch games hit, shit hit the fan for them being... well shit.

Personally, I can't really see how a smartphone offers an alternative gaming experience.... I see smartphone's as an extension of the old casio gaming, the low budget side of things. If the handheld market is tailing off it maybe because people are making cuts in their spending. Iphones and the more expensive phones are ridiculously priced if bought outright, but most people dont buy them outright, they buy them on contracts. Sure they lose out in the longrun with the pricing, but it is entirely manageable at a montly rate.

Personally, I have never been a big handheld gamer at all, I barely played my psp, but Vita seems like the system I have been waiting for. I have so many other interest on my plate that I only really have patience for the kind of quality games that consoles and these handhelds offer, smartphone games dont appeal to me at all.

Its the Ipad that baffles me the most. So far it seems a completely redundant piece of technology with very few useful applications. But hype has sustained it, and some business types I have met swear by it (though they didn't seem to be using for anything particularly innovative).

Perkel

Banned
Been wondering. How many games have a solid 30+ fps? Every demo I tried seemed to be running at a sub 30 framerate with a fairly long loading time.

Might just be demo versions... but that stuff is disappointing =/

Yeah i noticed it too. Thats lunch titles for you. Things probably will change in near future with time. Most of PS3 lunch titles were also struggling.

As of Good FPS games Rayman Origins. Not only it look like a dream on OLED but it has also solid framerate.

Lumines and stardust also work like magic. People have said that Sigma has also solid framerate. Not 60 but still solid.

And Sony should stop their PS3 developments right now. They are wasting resources that could be used on the PS4 and the Vita.

I'd say give it 1 more year before they stop PS3 software support and start full on PS4 development. I think current estimate for PS4 is Fall 2013 at the earliest and maybe early or mid 2014. so PS3 still have like a good 2 years before PS4 is out. and they still haven't drop the price to $200, so I'm thinking they still want to support PS3 for a while yet.

it's pretty obvious that some dev have already start next gen production this year or even last year. Last of Us and God of War 4 (if it's for PS3) probably will be the last big PS3 games

Perkel

Banned
I'd say give it 1 more year before they stop PS3 software support and start full on PS4 development. I think current estimate for PS4 is Fall 2013 at the earliest and maybe early or mid 2014. so PS3 still have like a good 2 years before PS4 is out. and they still haven't drop the price to $200, so I'm thinking they still want to support PS3 for a while yet.

it's pretty obvious that some dev have already start next gen production this year or even last year. Last of Us and God of War 4 (if it's for PS3) probably will be the last big PS3 games

Don't forget TLG ;) Shadow of collosus gone straight to my top games ever when i played it.

Every single thread dedicated handhelds vs. smartphones ends up the same way:

"Smartphones have no good games!"

"I hate smartphone gaming!"

"3DS, Vita 39.99$ games, LOLZ, BOMBA!"

"Games on my iPad are only $0.99!" ---> goes and buys iPad for 500$

Can we have some moderation/thread creation policy about these things? Every single thing has been said, journalists are just now recycling the information, I guess writing an in-depth article is too much nowadays.

No. That´s a huge mistake. Sony should go full production of PS4 games some while ago. There are still third party games coming to the PS3. Sony should have incentive for people to buy the PS4. And software would help people buy PS4.

kitch9

Banned

Apples UI is like any other, once you've learned how to use it, its difficult to move over to another different UI as you have to learn that. Apples UI usually have the odd nice touch, but overall its just another UI.

kitch9

Banned
Personally, I can't really see how a smartphone offers an alternative gaming experience.... I see smartphone's as an extension of the old casio gaming, the low budget side of things. If the handheld market is tailing off it maybe because people are making cuts in their spending. Iphones and the more expensive phones are ridiculously priced if bought outright, but most people dont buy them outright, they buy them on contracts. Sure they lose out in the longrun with the pricing, but it is entirely manageable at a montly rate.

Personally, I have never been a big handheld gamer at all, I barely played my psp, but Vita seems like the system I have been waiting for. I have so many other interest on my plate that I only really have patience for the kind of quality games that consoles and these handhelds offer, smartphone games dont appeal to me at all.

Its the Ipad that baffles me the most. So far it seems a completely redundant piece of technology with very few useful applications. But hype has sustained it, and some business types I have met swear by it (though they didn't seem to be using for anything particularly innovative).

Yeah the control schemes used on tablets and phones alongside a market that pretty much refuses to pay more than 99c for stuff means they are usually the gaming equivalent of being kicked in the nuts.

Good for 10 minutes killing time maybe for most, but thats about it.

zoukka

Apples UI is like any other, once you've learned how to use it, its difficult to move over to another different UI as you have to learn that. Apples UI usually have the odd nice touch, but overall its just another UI.

Well that's just not true. Apple has basically single handedly created the modern touch UI norms (which are carried even on Vita) and expanded the audience with easy to learn UI's on all of its devices. This can be seen in the first Ipod even (not going farther back, because I have not experienced them first hand). This is not something subjective, everyone on the industry knows this. You can only ignore the facts if you have an agenda you need to fill.

Good for 10 minutes killing time maybe for most, but thats about it.

Talking from your own experience or from your ass?

Top Bottom