• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME Review Thread

oSoLucky

Doesn't seem to have boost mode. In fact performance is pretty messy it seems. Here's an initial analysis thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=238102326

Isn't the Pro's higher performance because of Boost Mode since it doesn't lock down to PS4 settings? It can have the mode, but not an optimized Pro patch. Yeah it seems all over the place regardless which has me worried for the Switch performance. Maybe they'll lock it at 30. Personally I'm completely fine with variable rate. Didn't bother me all that much in Tomb Raider DE or inFamous SS going from smooth to not as smooth. That only bothers me on PC. As long as it's mostly above 30. Sub-30 constantly is where I start to rage.

Comments in the thread seem to indicate it's not boost mode and it's actually rendering improvements for pro, and also a frame rate bump from 30-45fps to 40-55fps.

Ah okay. So it doesn't have Boost Mode since there's already Pro performance.

nynt9

Isn't the Pro's higher performance because of Boost Mode since it doesn't lock down to PS4 settings? It can have the mode, but not an optimized Pro patch.

Comments in the thread seem to indicate it's not boost mode and it's actually rendering improvements for pro, and also a frame rate bump from 30-45fps to 40-55fps.

shamo42

Any new infos about Switch release date and performance?

I know this has already been asked & answered. I just want the team to realize a good quality Switch port could result in a huge sales boost. People want this. Now.

CamHostage

So happy that Rime turned out well and is being recognized for its values. There were some very dark times in its development history with some nasty whispering going around about what may or may not have happened behind the scenes, but in the end, the team came through to produce something to be proud of and that hopefully lots of gamers will connect with.

Coolade

Didn't see anyone post the VGTech. Here ya go https://youtu.be/cQsYhdVJMYk
CKi6jJA.png

I know this has already been asked & answered. I just want the team to realize a good quality Switch port could result in a huge sales boost. People want this. Now.

Found this comparison (it's rough), but no mention of performance

"Nintendo showed off the first footage of Rime on Switch last week during a special indies episode of Nyannyan Neko Mario Time. Using gameplay from that video as well as a trailer from January, one fan put together a few rough comparisons for the Switch and PS4 editions."

o907vy6ck8zy.png

J@hranimo

Banned

"Nintendo showed off the first footage of Rime on Switch last week during a special indies episode of Nyannyan Neko Mario Time. Using gameplay from that video as well as a trailer from January, one fan put together a few rough comparisons for the Switch and PS4 editions."

o907vy6ck8zy.png

Hey so about that screenshot picture, there was an AMA done recently with Tequila Works and Team Grey Box and they addressed that by saying:

Rime Team said:
Interesting comparison. We suspect that most of the color differences between the shots have more to do with video compression than anything. We would not necessarily call this comparison accurate.
We're currently reworking a lot of the content in the game to make it more appropriate for the Switch SKU. So far, we've managed to keep the visual impact to a minimum. RiME's unique art style has made it easier to make this possible, but it's still a big challenge for any development team.
Our goal is quality, and we have to walk the tight rope between performance and visuals. We think we have a path forward from here, and we're optimistic that players will love being able to take RiME with them when they're on the go.
~Team Grey Box

Gamecentral reviewed it today - gave it 6/10:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/26/rime-witness-a-familiar-journey-to-the-last-guardian-6663365/

In Short: RiME borrows from the best – including ICO, Journey, and The Witness – but while it’s an amiable adventure it lacks the depth and originality of its would-be peers.

Pros: Beautiful game worlds are a pleasure to explore. Superb soundtrack and lots of puzzle variety.

Cons: None of those puzzles are very difficult or original, and the platforming is even more straightforward. Mishandled storytelling, and a general lack of challenge or context.

o907vy6ck8zy.png

This comparison is pretty useless.

Edit: Someone already explained.

Here's the final PS4 version of that same scene.

rime17vl9a.png

GHG

Gold Member
Any word on the PC version yet or do we need to wait.

I'm playing Dark Souls 3 at the moment and feel like I need a game to contrast that experience, this could do the trick.

wouwie

Just started playing and i spent half an hour just being in the very first scene, taking in the visuals and atmosphere. Presentation wise, this is exactly what i was hoping it would be. The visuals, the music, the sound effects and the atmosphere make me want to spend time just being in this world, regardless of the game. The presentation is just wonderful.

Edit: for a game with such stylized visuals, it's a shame that it has framerate issues. A consistent smooth framerate would have been nice. Also, the game seems quite buggy. I just had a cutscene where i think the npc was missing
when the boy pets the fox, the fox was missing...?
. Also, i would have preferred a save anywhere approach. Since you don't know when the game will save, quitting will usually mean loss of progress, it seems.

kami_sama

This must be one of the most divisive games in recent times.
So many 6s and so many 9s.

Will play tonight and I hope it delivers.

marmoka

Banned
So the game turned out to be great in the end. This is awesome.

I guess we will never know what really happened between Tequila Works and Sony, and all the development problems the game had.

Peltz

Are there any comparisons between the Switch and PS4 version I could check out?

This must be one of the most divisive games in recent times.
So many 6s and so many 9s.

Will play tonight and I hope it delivers.

These types of games seem very dependent on evoking emotions from the player. Sometimes people aren't receptive to that, sometimes they are. It's often not something that can be predicted.

I found Journey very moving (at least the first time I played it). But I didn't feel the same way about... say... Ico. But I totally get that others feel differently. It's just something that happens with these types of games. They're very hit-or-miss on a person-by-person basis.

So the game turned out to be great in the end. This is awesome.

I guess we will never know what really happened between Tequila Works and Sony, and all the development problems the game had.

What we heard about the game back then seemed like something totally different. I remember a design document talking about crafting, survival, day night cycle all that stuff.

I think Rime as it exists now was a complete do-over and a different game than what they were making before.

burgerdog

Any word on the PC version yet or do we need to wait.

I'm playing Dark Souls 3 at the moment and feel like I need a game to contrast that experience, this could do the trick.

Need someone with a 3570k and a 970 to test it before I jump in!

Futureman

Wait, when is this game coming out? Amazon still has this for pre-order (for Switch at least)

All versions are out except Switch. I think they are still saying summer but I have my doubts. PS4 version having framerate issues could mean a long, tough port to Switch.

dr_rus

Any word on the PC version? I just bought it Steam. I guess if it sucks there is always Valve's awesome refunds.

Game is built with UE4, it would require devs to perform some extended fuckery to make UE4 run badly on PC. PC version will be fine I think.

Gators300

Banned
All versions are out except Switch. I think they are still saying summer but I have my doubts. PS4 version having framerate issues could mean a long, tough port to Switch.

It sounds like they are actually reworking some assets for the Switch. The PS4 version is obviously taxing the hardware so the Switch will need that to run well. That said, with development completely finished on the retail releases for other platforms, they can concentrate solely on the Switch port. Tailoring it to the platform and focusing only on that version from here on out, I am optimistic that they will deliver a solid 30fps version of the game that will favorably compare to the PS4 version.

I will wait for the Switch release to be able to play the game on the go. I have a nice PC and PS4 Pro, but for the PS4 Pro, since it doesn't even hit 60fps and the framerate looks to have 5-15fps swings, I am passing on that version to be able to play the game portably. A game like this I'd like to enjoy on the couch or on the go, so pass on PC as well, though it seems that is the definitive version of the game if you want to enjoy a steady 60fps.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Game is built with UE4, it would require devs to perform some extended fuckery to make UE4 run badly on PC. PC version will be fine I think.
At least 2 people (including me) having performance problems on PC with GTX 1070 / 1080.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238037175&postcount=316

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238058028&postcount=376

But let's wait for more reviews / opinions here and on Steam just to make sure. Almost 3 hours left before release on Steam. I really hope it's just our rigs and everyone else will get better performance.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
At least 2 people (including me) having performance problems on PC with GTX 1070 / 1080.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238037175&postcount=316

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238058028&postcount=376

But let's wait for more reviews / opinions here and on Steam just to make sure. Almost 3 hours left before release on Steam. I really hope it's just our rigs and everyone else will get better performance.

If you're having FPS issues try turning off Vsync

Top Bottom