• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Anime Season 2 |OT| wacky waving inflatable sword man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulz1992

Compared to the first season, those 2 episodes were great.

I'd say it's like we're in a 19th century insane asylum and they decided to serve the good gruel. So we're very grateful, we're telling them, "Oh, thank you so much for the good gruel!" Than a new, relatively sane patient arrives and sees what we're eating and tells us, "This is shit, this is awful, why are you eating this?" Than we all look at him and go, "But this is a good gruel, man!"

Mister Wolf

I'd say it's like we're in a 19th century insane asylum and they decided to serve the good gruel. So we're very grateful, we're telling them, "Oh, thank you so much for the good gruel!" Than a new, relatively sane patient arrives and sees what we're eating and tells us, "This is shit, this is awful, why are you eating this?" Than we all look at him and go, "But this is a good gruel, man!"

Haha ive been waiting decades for my gruel.

janoDX

Funny enough I was one of the few saying that except for the last 3 episodes the rest of the season is shit. And I even went back to rewatch the entire first season.

These 2 episodes are great, they still need to work on static images from the characters, but they improved on some fronts.

Ok...so why is Guts' inner beast the size of a fucking puppy? THIS CG IS FUCKING HORRIBLE!!! IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING DOG FROM RESIDENT EVIL 1!!!! It has Beast Wars era shading, this is fucking 2017!!!!!

Sou Da

Holy Fuck, who seriously thought that Jazz was a good idea. Like it's baffling to think that not a single person realized how out of place it is. I really hope that this isn't this season's version of Hai-Yo in that it's the only song they play because I can just imagine Guts fighting Grunbeld with a saxophone playing in the background.

I'm telling you, they're just interpreting the homoerotic themes that were already there between the two.

Grudy

They're watchable but there's no love at all with the production of this show. Instead of using 1/10th of their ass they're now using 1/5th of their ass.

I really can't call them watchable. I had to tell myself to keep watching several times during the first episode lol. Haven't seen the second one yet.

Gulz1992

You call this watchable?
hillofswords1.gif

You call this watchable?
hillofswords1.gif
Well no when you put a gif of something that was done better in Dreamcast game in front of me. There's also the fact that I was preoccupied eating a chicken sandwich and I'm half deaf in one ear currently so I didn't experience turdserk in its purest form with 100% attention being paid to it. The moment I saw Guts' beast form I was legit like "this is dogshit" which is a damn shame since one of my favorite Bloodborne bosses is modeled after it. They really should've just yanked out the assets from a store purchased copy of Bloodborne and pasted them into the anime.
Wtf what's with the green shimmer on the blade? Artistic direction? lol
Guts acquired the Holy Moonlight Greatsword from the rape horse.

Grudy

Well no when you put a gif of something that was done better in Dreamcast game in front of me. There's also the fact that I was preoccupied eating a chicken sandwich and I'm half deaf in one ear currently so I didn't experience turdserk in its purest form with 100% attention being paid to it. The moment I saw Guts' beast form I was legit like "this is dogshit" which is a damn shame since one of my favorite Bloodborne bosses is modeled after it. They really should've just yanked out the assets from a store purchased copy of Bloodborne and pasted them into the anime.

Guts acquired the Holy Moonlight Greatsword from the rape horse.

Berserk > Souls > Berserk?
zWVbK.gif

jamwater

Banned
I don't know whats the problem, but reading through the thread I see a lot of displeasure with this offering and don't understand why. I don't have much exposure to this work other than the golden age arc on dvd. I really enjoyed watching the first season and thought the art and presentation was, for a weekly show at least, pretty dang cool. I was officially sad when it was over. So whats the gripe?

Also - are these characters supposed to be Caucasian or Oriental, because I really can't tell. The main guy in this looks like the artists were thinking about Jake Gyllenhall.

Kinda like the early seasons of JoJo's bizzare adventure - Joestar looks strikingly like Tom Cruise. Bushy eyebrows and all.

And while watching the first season - I kept thinking about how cool this would be as a live action movie. Am I wrong?

Mister Wolf

I don't know whats the problem, but reading through the thread I see a lot of displeasure with this offering and don't understand why. I don't have much exposure to this work other than the golden age arc on dvd. I really enjoyed watching the first season and thought the art and presentation was, for a weekly show at least, pretty dang cool. I was officially sad when it was over. So whats the gripe?

Also - are these characters supposed to be Caucasian or Oriental, because I really can't tell. The main guy in this looks like the artists were thinking about Jake Gyllenhall.

Kinda like the early seasons of JoJo's bizzare adventure - Joestar looks strikingly like Tom Cruise. Bushy eyebrows and all.

And while watching the first season - I kept thinking about how cool this would be as a live action movie. Am I wrong?

A lot of Berserk fans have this vision in their heads of Berserk getting a perfect anime adaption yet none have the money or willingness to make this vision true so they crap on the little we do get or say shit like " I'd rather they make nothing " while still watching this on Crunchy Roll or illegal sources. I would say they are supposed to be Caucasian in design with Isidro and Caska perhaps being a different race or of mixed descent.

Haven't watched this adaptation, but the OP kinda makes me want to lol.
I AM playing the game, though, so I'll leave this here:

A97hP8g.jpg

toUmMK8.jpg

VhIYLXH.jpg

Grudy

A lot of Berserk fans have this vision in their heads of Berserk getting a perfect anime adaption yet none have the money or willingness to make this vision true so they crap on the little we do get or say shit like " I'd rather they make nothing " while still watching this on Crunchy Roll or illegal sources. I would say they are supposed to be Caucasian in design with Isidro and Caska perhaps being a different race or of mixed descent.

No one is shitting on the anime because its not perfect. It's just bad. The 1997 anime isn't perfect either with its low budget animations, but you don't see people harping on it like these new anime. I mean it's totally up to you of course to enjoy this adaptation for what it is, but all I see this anime doing is a disservice to the original works and every time it's on, it means we are still farther away from a better adaptation. That's why I'd rather have nothing. I'm not content with getting a washed-out version panel-for-panel cut (at best) version of the manga. Honestly, I'm just watching it out ot curiosity at this point.

jett

D-Member

Why in the name of blue fuck is this thing getting a defense force?

Dahbomb

Big difference between wanting a perfect adaptation to what we are getting. 90% of anime which have been adapted have gotten a better adaptation than this. I can't think of a single manga to anime adaptation that has been worse than this Berserk adaptation.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Imagine being a huge Game of Thrones fan and then getting a live action adaptation that was made by a community theatre troupe.

Gulz1992

I don't think most fans are expecting something with a massive budget that perfectly recreates every single page from the manga. I'd say we just want something good, something that feels like the people in charge actually give a damn about what they're doing. As it is, this anime feels like it was purely a workman job, like the people at Millepensee have no particular interest in this property and only agreed to do it so that they can then continue to work on stuff they're actually passionate about, which is making cute moe anime. Like, I'm usually not the one to make the claim "they just didn't care," but it definitely feels like the people at the studio aren't trying to the best of their ability. Say what you want about Studio 4C's Golden Age movie trilogy, but from what little I've seen of it, it seems like they at least tried to make something good.

McLovin

Besides the animation being complete shit, why is it jumping all over the place? I feel like it's just skipping sections every few seconds.

HStallion

Besides the animation being complete shit, why is it jumping all over the place? I feel like it's just skipping sections every few seconds.

Can't cram a volume into a half hour without making some sacrifices!

The expectation should be a David Production kind of deal. A team of people who actually understand what they are adapting. Phantom Blood barely had animation and it was still loads of fun.

Gulz1992

Starting episode 2. My reaction so far:
pain%20face_zpsvu0w9vff.png

Here's also more of the lovely 2D art from the intro: /s
lovely%202d_zpsa8atdz8s.png

Also Griffith's murder face:
griff-falconface.gif

Edit:

Serpico and Farnese's backstory is so rushed and disjointed that they may as well have not included it. The black background "flashback" effect also looks half-assed:
no%20backgorunds1_zpsyndz9ynk.png

no%20backgorunds2_zpsjrdxrjd0.png

The CG skeletons from the first season have returned as ghosts!
cgghosts_zpsojqr3gio.png

Robot Casca!
giphy.gif

Grudy

Serpico and Farnese's backstory is so rushed and disjointed that they may as well have not included it. The black background "flashback" effect also looks half-assed:
no%20backgorunds1_zpsyndz9ynk.png

no%20backgorunds2_zpsjrdxrjd0.png

These look like they forgot to turn on some layers in their editing software lol

Mister Wolf

I don't think most fans are expecting something with a massive budget that perfectly recreates every single page from the manga. I'd say we just want something good, something that feels like the people in charge actually give a damn about what they're doing. As it is, this anime feels like it was purely a workman job, like the people at Millepensee have no particular interest in this property and only agreed to do it so that they can then continue to work on stuff they're actually passionate about, which is making cute moe anime. Like, I'm usually not the one to make the claim "they just didn't care," but it definitely feels like the people at the studio aren't trying to the best of their ability. Say what you want about Studio 4C's Golden Age movie trilogy, but from what little I've seen of it, it seems like they at least tried to make something good.

If they didn't give a damn they wouldn't have made it. They are the only ones in the history of this manga since 1989 to give a shit about making a black swordsman adaption.

Gulz1992

If they didn't give a damn they wouldn't have made it. They are the only ones in the history of this manga since 1989 to give a shit about making a black swordsman adaption.

What Black Swordsman adaption? They completely skipped that along with the Lost Children just so they could rush straight to the part of the story where Guts starts to form his JRPG party, likely because they were hoping that's what would get them the most viewers. When you see how they've been handling the story along with stuff like this:
Its+not+just+bad+its+copy+and+paste+art+_a35f3b67d38bbd52b0ae33f85b0875ea.jpg

it's hard not to get the feeling that at least someone at the studio doesn't care or isn't trying. Also, Studio 4C actually was planning to adapt material beyond the Golden Age, it just ended up not happening because of the movies flopping.

Tizoc

Ok...so why is Guts' inner beast the size of a fucking puppy? THIS CG IS FUCKING HORRIBLE!!! IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING DOG FROM RESIDENT EVIL 1!!!! It has Beast Wars era shading, this is fucking 2017!!!!!

Ever watched the first episode of Kingdom Season 1?

What Black Swordsman adaption? They completely skipped that along with the Lost Children just so they could rush straight to the part of the story where Guts starts to form his JRPG party, likely because they were hoping that's what would get them the most viewers. When you see how they've been handling the story along with stuff like this:

it's hard not to get the feeling that at least someone at the studio doesn't care or isn't trying. Also, Studio 4C actually was planning to adapt material beyond the Golden Age, it just ended up not happening because of the movies flopping.

I haven't watched this at all, despite being a Berserk fan but...What is this crap?

kmax

It's like they took the clone tool in photoshop

As a Berserk fan, I'll continue to ignore this abomination like it doesn't exist.

Yeah Sexy Buu is deff a 1 shot gag. The design is amazing. I wonder if his voice will change as it's so not fitting for the design, especially the dub.

Maximo

Wooooooooooooooooooww....

Man. It continues to annoy me to no end how good the 2d bits looks and how often the 3d bits look straight terrible.

For anyone who wants to see a competent adaptation of the Hill of Swords scene along with better visuals, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU94Xs8sr2Q

this was really well done, and made me realize that i'd rather have the ps2's gameplay models than the current anime models. yeesh. Ideally it'd be the cinematic models, but fuck, i'll take the simpler ones too, just to have a Guts that looks the part.

(and the ps2 sounds effects too, please godhand)

LOL WTF?! This is some of the laziest corner cutting I've seen in an anime. I could forgive one repeat, but that dude in the red frilly shirt stands out horribly. And that one dude in the vest's grimace cracks me up.

The thing that really gets me is that it's digital animation. If you're going to copy-pasta, you could at least offset the animation cycle so the copies aren't constantly on the same animation frame as one another. It takes literally no effort and is probably enough to fool a casual observer.

HStallion

Why is the scale in that shot so fucked up? The trolls are like the size of the ogres.

jrcbandit

This anime is so horrible, we would be far better off with no adaptation than this mess. At least if there wasn't one, there would be a chance of it still being done decently. I stopped watching halfway through season 1 and it looks like it hasn't improved at all in season 2.

DVCY201

Y'all complained about the movies, and this is what we get now. Smh, I'd take the movies quality anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom