• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

sn5Llcp.jpg

The third season of Fargo, an American anthology black comedy–crime drama television series created by Noah Hawley, is scheduled to premiere on April 19, 2017, on the basic cable network FX. Its principal cast consists of Ewan McGregor, Carrie Coon, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, David Thewlis and Jim Gaffigan. The season will consist of ten episodes. As an anthology, each Fargo season possesses its own self-contained narrative, following a disparate set of characters in various settings, albeit in a connected shared universe.

FX said:
Set in 2010, the third installment of Fargo centers on “Emmit Stussy” and his slightly younger brother “Ray” (Ewan McGregor in dual roles).

Emmit, the “Parking Lot King of Minnesota,” is a handsome, self-made real estate mogul with a perfect family – a real American success story. His slightly younger brother Ray is more of a cautionary tale. Wilted from a lifetime of living in Emmit’s shadow, Ray is a balding, pot-bellied parole officer with a huge chip on his shoulder about the hand he’s been dealt – and he blames his brother.

The only bright spot in Ray’s life is the love of a not-so-good woman, “Nikki Swango” (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), one of his parolees. Nikki has brains, beauty and a deep and abiding passion for competitive bridge. She decides to help Ray turn his fortunes around, by essentially stealing back his good karma. Unsurprisingly, things quickly get out of hand and petty theft leads to murder.

When the mayhem crosses county lines, Eden Valley Police Chief “Gloria Burgle” (Carrie Coon), a newly divorced mother, is called upon to investigate. Normally steady and imperturbable, Gloria is shaken when the case takes an unexpectedly personal turn. Meanwhile, Emmit’s perfect life is upended when he receives an unwelcome business proposal from a mysterious loner and true capitalist, “V.M. Varga” (David Thewlis), whose bosses plan to become business partners with “The Parking Lot King,” whether Emmit likes it or not.

eLwwsd5.jpg

Main cast:
Ewan McGregor as Emmit and Ray Stussy
Carrie Coon as Gloria Burgle
Michael Stuhlbarg as Sy Feltz
Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Nikki Swango
David Thewlis as V.M. Vargas​
Recurring cast:
Scoot McNairy as Maurice LeFay
Jim Gaffigan as Donny Mashman
Shea Whigham as Moe Dammick
Karan Soni as Dr. Homer Gilruth
Fred Melamed as Howard Zimmerman
Thomas Mann as Thaddeus Mobley
Hamish Linklater as Larue Dollars​

Videos:
Links
Reviews:
  • Indiewire review
    As we’ve seen in the first two seasons, coincidence, fate, luck — whatever you want to call it — plays a major role in the battle between right versus wrong. Anything can happen to anyone, making for a tense first hour and what will undoubtedly be a fraught full season. And while “Fargo” is scary, the scares aren’t cheap — far from it. Rather than the “gotcha!” moments or gory abominations dominating studio horror franchises, what’s frightening in “Fargo” is a blend of good intentions and bad ideas escalating beyond control.

Yet unlike many horror films, what keeps us coming back to “Fargo” is that Hawley’s stories are always focused more on the good in people than the bad. We’re not tuning in to see the carnage, but to see who can escape it. “I think deep down we all have something positive inside us, don’t you think?” Gloria Burgle tells her son during the opening episode. And other than perhaps one obtuse character, it’s evident in the 65-minute premiere that this is true. There’s something good in each and every one of these Minnesotans, and we see enough of it to inspire hope that “something positive” can carry them through the horrors that lie ahead.

It’s a painful journey, but one that’s always proven rewarding. The first episode of Season 3 has given us no reason to think it won’t be worth the torment again.

Grade: A-
  • EW review
    The cast is superb. Winstead – on a roll of late with 10 Cloverfield Lane and BrainDead – takes it up yet another notch. Coon is commanding in her few moments in the premiere; I expect we’ll be talking more about her in the weeks to come. McGregor is out-of-the-box phenomenal. If he keeps getting material as good as the material Hawley feeds him in the premiere, this will go down as a massive triumph
    I think Noah Hawley is one the most exciting storytellers working on television today, and Fargo seems poised to affirm that truth once more. Grade: A
  • THR review
    Much of what makes Fargo so special can be glimpsed in those first two episodes, and based on character description and the arc of this third season, I would bet the rest holds up quite nicely. I say this having ranked the show No. 1 in 2014 and No. 1 in 2015 on my year-end best television lists. There's something about this show that continually finds its way to greatness.
  • Mic review
    The writing, characters, setting and pacing are all expertly crafted, and if the first two episodes are any indication, it's another masterpiece in the making.
Articles:
Promo pictures:

berzeli

Banned
Looking forward to this, the first two seasons were great and I'm glad that this one sounds like another winner.

Meier

I absolutely cannot wait. I've actually seen very little of the footage thus far and only just saw an image the other day attached to an article about Ewan playing brothers -- glad I'm going in mostly blind.

IronRinn

Can't wait! I have no doubt this will be excellent. Blows me away that a series that no one thought would even approach the source material in terms of quality has been this good (and may be better than the source material for me).

The art for this season is great, as usual.

noomi

Very excited for the new season.

Paired with Better Call Saul, this just might be my favorite time to year for TV goodness :D

Second season was fun but felt like a disappointing step down from the first.

This looks like it could be pretty damn awesome though. And it's the best overall cast they've had to work with too imo

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't deserve this cast. I'm not worthy.

- Orlando Sentinel review
Beyond McGregor’s double tour de force, Coon and Thewlis offer remarkable portraits of good and evil, respectively. The splendid cast delivers the distinctive “Fargo” accents with joyful flair. The main star, however, is executive producer Noah Hawley, who created the anthology for TV. Viewers can thank him for making "Fargo" a must-visit destination the third time around. The franchise continues to mix the comical and the criminal with a bracing kick.

- Mic review
The writing, characters, setting and pacing are all expertly crafted, and if the first two episodes are any indication, it's another masterpiece in the making.
- Sepinwall's review
Fargo season three hints at some limitations to this exciting new world of the anthology miniseries. You can change the era and the characters every time out, but when the creative team and the world stays roughly the same, familiarity will creep in over time the same way it does for a more traditional ongoing drama series. And if the new season turns out to be a slightly diminished version of what came before, that’s still a pretty good place to be.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm going to overdose on Carrie Coon next week. Not even mad about it.

Don't have Hulu so I can't watch the first two seasons. Can I jump in?
It won't be a problem narratively. There will be a few callbacks to previous seasons and maybe a character or two showing up, but nothing major. You're still highly recommended to watch them at some point because they're great seasons of television.

season one stunk

we get it
i remember that shot from barton fink too

season two is a fucking masterpiece

Eh. I didn't hate it but I did feel it was unfocused and all over the place, way too many characters and plot threads that went nowhere interesting. Plus Patrick Wilson was a huge step down from Allison Tolman, he was like Colin Hanks in the first season but somehow even more of a wooden goober. More than anything I just want a villain as good as Lorne Malvo again.

I also personally found the references to Coen movies way more frequent and distracting in season two, not that I was a fan of them in S1 either. Anyways, I'm still excited about this season.

I also personally found the references to Coen movies way more frequent and distracting in season two, not that I was a fan of them in S1 either. Anyways, I'm still excited about this season.

I mean, going in from the first episode it was clear that this was more truthfully "Coen Bros: The Series" rather than a straight-up Fargo adaptation... Which I've been perfectly thrilled by. However, admittedly, I'm a Coen-holic.

As we all should be, minus "Hail, Caesar" of course.

So excited to have this, Saul, The Americans, and The Leftovers on my TV at the same time.

- Variety review
In the early going, the third season of “Fargo,” which is set in 2010, offers a sprinkling of skillful characterization, dialogue, and production design without providing enough psychologically compelling components to balance out the largely dry and even perfunctory aspects of the drama.
- Tampa Bay Tribune review
The two episodes sent for review show a masterful story, but once again, showrunner Hawley is taking his time to let it unfold. Last season, we went from a diner bloodbath to UFOs. Who knows where we'll go now. So far, this season isn't as splashy, but it makes up for it in nuance.

Dysun

My only gripe last year was the
aliens
subplot that felt out of place and too overt. Hope they tone that aspect down a notch

Fargo, better call Saul, archer, agents of shield, the leftovers,horizon zero dawn, Zelda, Kendrick Lamar all released pretty close to each other.

I'm ready.

My only gripe last year was the
aliens
subplot that felt out of place and too overt. Hope they tone that aspect down a notch

I kinda liked it. It was exciting because it was gonna be a huge showdown, and, out of nowhere, unexpectedly a
ufo
shows up to "save" the day lol.

Never know what's gonna happen I guess. I hope Bigfoot shows up this season and smacks someone.

It won't be a problem narratively. There will be a few callbacks to previous seasons and maybe a character or two showing up, but nothing major. You're still highly recommended to watch them at some point because they're great seasons of television.

Yeah, I'd love to watch them, but they're not on Comcast OnDemand and I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime so I'd rather not also subscribe to Hulu.

I remember the music, especially, being very jarring. Felt like half the soundtrack from 'Oh Brother Where Art Tho' was stuffed in it.

In any case, excited for the new season. Season 2 was great, even if personally, I felt it kinda lost steam and fizzled out halfway though. Great characters, in any case, and Season 1 is still fantastic.

- My San Antonio review
An exceptional cast, led by standout Ewan McGregor (“Trainspotting”), is perhaps the new season’s biggest plus. The Scottish actor, in fact, doubles our pleasure here by playing two roles — brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy — and making us forget all the while that one man is behind both.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Can't wait for this. I absolutely loved season 2. This and The Americans season 5 should keep me entertained for the next couple of months.

gforguava

The only thing better than this fantastic cast is the amazing character names. I mean Gloria Burgle is already top shelf but then we get Emmit and Ray Stussy, V.M. Vargas, Sy Feltz, and oh my god Nikki Swango.

Top Bottom