• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

At least the second Lebowski reference: flicking a joint against the inside of a car window, then an unwelcome houseguest during a bath.

jon_i634

Banned
I legit don't know how Noah Hawley managed this and Legion pretty much at the same time. Dude (and the rest of the team) puts in work, and it's all been stellar television.

Slacker

SUNUFABITCH
GIMME A DRINK

Fargo remains the one show I have to watch the credits to listen to the music. Well, maybe this and Silicon Valley.

Great first episode. Perfect casting all around. Better Call Saul getting a run for its money once again.

Bandit1

Can't wait to see where it goes from here. So the old man who the parolee duct-taped to the chair was a Stussy right? Because he got the address from a Stussy name in the phonebook. So he must somehow be related to the Stussy brothers? An uncle maybe?

And Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character has to be playing poor Emmit right? Cause she is way out of his league.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here. So the old man who the parolee duct-taped to the chair was a Stussy right? Because he got the address from a Stussy name in the phonebook. So he must somehow be related to the Stussy brothers? An uncle maybe?

And Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character has to be playing poor Emmit right? Cause she is way out of his league.

She really wants to play bridge out of state

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
lol a comment on the AV Club review in regards to that montage:

"It was a piss de résistance."

That's pretty good.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
As someone who watched both of the first 2 seasons over the course of a weekend each, I immediately regret watching this premiere now rather than in 2 months.

Sir Doom

Without those trashy make up that's the MEW I remember from Braindead

"you're so sexy"
damn right

cap it off with that credit music
good premier

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Great first episode.

Noah Hawley is gonna go 3 for 3 with Fargo, ain't he?

Also, was that Mongolian throat singing? He also used that fake English Italian song, is Noah just going into the depths of weird Youtube for songs?
Mary Elizabeth Winstead *swoon*

This season is already off to a great start!

God is she beautiful.

Whatever was playing when she searched the house was jarring as fuck in headphones. Was not a fan of that scene, at all. Other than that it was pretty good. Ray feels like a discount Martin Freeman, but the brother has potential. Wasn't as strong a start as Season 2(or 1 "chose to walk into the light"), but we'll see where it goes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Whatever was playing when she searched the house was jarring as fuck in headphones. Was not a fan of that scene, at all. Other than that it was pretty good. Ray feels like a discount Martin Freeman, but the brother has potential. Wasn't as strong a start as Season 2(or 1 "chose to walk into the light"), but we'll see where it goes.

Like I posted above, I wanna say it was mongolian throat singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

Something like that.

[edit]
And this was the song that played during the card game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

[editx2]
Ah, here's that song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GPrALzNKs

Mongolian Throat Singing, cool, that's fine, and I guess the point was to make the audience feel uneasy, but it was just loud and annoying to me. Personally, I think silence would have been more effective.

What would have also been effective is showing us that he had a gun before she searched the house. He wasn't really a threat, so I didn't feel tension from her searching for him. They painted him as a bumbling stoner, and grandpa looked like he had a heart attack. So you have a bumbling stoner, with no known weapon, versus a cop with a shotgun, with crazy throat music playing in the background. It was just a weird sequence. I'm not sure I liked it. Compared to the diner scene in Season 2, were they built that kid up us a punk and then he snapped and started murdering. That was shocking.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Feeling the same exact think about this premiere as I did with the premiere for second season: a tiny bit underwhelmed, even though it's still great fun. Seeing how season 2 turned out, however, I am optimistic. That piss montage was something else.

Really bummed out about Scoot McNairys character being killed in the first episode though. Loved him in Halt & Catch Fire.

Chumley

Banned
I'm really underwhelmed and honestly kind of worried about the entire season.

Ewan Mcgregor and the gimmicky twin dynamic was a mistake. He can't pull off the accent and casting him for both roles doesn't fit for the kind of sweeping story this show wants to tell, it's not like Moon or something. It's a showy distraction and he isn't quite a strong enough actor to do something amazing with it.

I still enjoyed it and remain optimistic but this isn't a great start. I'm probably the only one here with a negative impression but I've gotta be honest.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's weird that critics said this was the most comedic premiere so far, because I thought it wasn't nearly as funny as the previous two premieres. Still, I had a good laugh out of the "President buying suits from JC Penny's" bit, and I thought the rest of it was quite good overall - solid acting, interesting set up, inspired music choices. It does feel really similar to the first two seasons, but that certainly isn't a bad thing.

UrbanRats

It's weird that critics said this was the most comedic premiere so far, because I thought it wasn't nearly as funny as the previous two premieres. Still, I had a good laugh out of the "President buying suits from JC Penny's" bit, and I thought the rest of it was quite good overall - solid acting, interesting set up, inspired music choices. It does feel really similar to the first two seasons, but that certainly isn't a bad thing.
Is it more season 1 or season 2? Cause I thought the divide was pretty large between the two (in favor of the first one).
Billy Bob Thornton carried A LOT of weight.

Chumley

Banned
Is it more season 1 or season 2? Cause I thought the divide was pretty large between the two (in favor of the first one).
Billy Bob Thornton carried A LOT of weight.

It's neither. Malvo is still the single most mesmerizing character the show has ever had but there was a lot of dark humor between him and Lester, while S2 was filled with colorful characters and satire of the period.

It's only been one episode but this season so far doesn't have the same level of humor, it's far more straightforward and frankly doesn't seem nearly as inspired.

Like, the Scooty McNair character plot device was straight up lazy.

this premiere is one of the most lifeless hours of television i've seen in quite some time

didn't really see anything here that made me actually care about any of the characters at all, and the self-indulgent style of spending 65 minutes telling ~40 minutes of utterly boring story doesn't really work for me

also Scoot McNairy deserved better

DiscoJer

It's only the third season, but it seems like it's starting to get a bit formulaic.

Since it's Fargo,k you do have to kind of have a female sheriff, but this one seems sticking too close to the Frances McDurmond style (albeit not pregnant) of the movie, while Allison Tolman seemed quite different, still professional and competent, but just different.

You have the Lester character. Somewhat meek but fairly amiable person who gets started down the path of crime/evil. In Season 2 they sort of flipped the switch by making it Peggy, but here it's back to being like another Lester.

And the other Ewan McGregor brother is the same supposed hot shot business guy who turns out to have problems. Hard to care about him.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is by far the most interesting. But at the same time, it's more like is she another Malvo, leading the Lester character further down the spiral? Or is she more like an Ed, just going along blindly because she actually loves the Lester character?

The catch with her though is she is just too beautiful, really striking looking.. She doesn't look like a normal person, much less a petty criminal

Top Bottom