• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

Wizpig

So i tried the demo.

Jesus, this is still a masterpiece.
The atmosphere is amazing - i don't know if 3DS fans new to the series can notice it since the demo is pretty shitty, but trust me, it's there.

The problem i had with the porting are not the FPS and not the controls... it's the whole package i don't like.

I mean, ABXY for camera is not bad, but i don't get why you can't "snake" directly after double tapping R to roll.
And Dpad Down to snake is pretty stupid.

What i really hate is how they changed the gameplay/aiming, TPS camera is horrible, horrible horrible.
And no stereoscopic 3d in FPS mode while pointing is pretty annoying too.

Also, useless cuts like "you can't cut the ropes lolz"... meh.

Ps2 is your friend.

Do we know yet if you can't cut the ropes in the full game?

Also, I've read that there are a couple of different options to that question at the beginning:

I'm playing MGS for the first time!
I like MGS3!
I like MGS4!
I like MGS PEACE WALKER!
I like all the MGS games!

Really wondering what some of those do. In the original, "I like MGS1" got you slower stamina decreases and I believe "I like MGS2" got you a Raiden mask?

Ridley327

Do we know yet if you can't cut the ropes in the full game?

Also, I've read that there are a couple of different options to that question at the beginning:

I'm playing MGS for the first time!
I like MGS3!
I like MGS4!
I like MGS PEACE WALKER!
I like all the MGS games!

Really wondering what some of those do. In the original, "I like MGS1" got you slower stamina decreases and I believe "I like MGS2" got you a Raiden mask?

In Subsistence, I Like MGS3 unlocked all of the cinematics and Extreme/Euro Extreme right away.

Veal

the in-game framerate seems to be fine but the cutscenes are a joke. Had the framerate been the same as the ps2 version I would be behind this 100% since the 3D is a great addition and I prefer the controls(90% of my gaming doesn't use dual analog anyway).

Shaders are stuff are far less important to me than the framerate. I'm not sure why people are separating framerate quality from graphics. I consider framerate to be the most important part of a game's graphical presenation. I haven't played the HD collection but I can see people making an argument for it based on that one factor alone.

It just comes down to priorities. I don't really care for PW or MGS2 so getting MGS3 by itself is fine by me. I just have to decide if I can stomach the awful cutscenes to play with all the improvements the 3DS version does have. I enjoy the demo more and more each time I play it so I am probably going to bite at some point down the line.

It just sucks that konami botched what could have been a slam dunk 3DS release.
I really don't think the framerate is that far off from the PS2 version. Even during the cutscenes. The 3DS version is missing the motion blur they used during the cutscenes to mask the lowered framerate in the original version. From everything I've seen thus far, they seem to be very similar, with the PS2 version having a bit of an edge when it comes to cutscene framerate, and a major edge when it comes to the survivor viewer.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
Aside from some cutscene framerates this demo was pretty decent, makes me want to get a CPP.

I feel like this is what Metal Gear Solid 3 for the Dreamcast would have looked, ran, and played like if such a thing ever existed.

OmegaZero

I really don't think the framerate is that far off from the PS2 version. Even during the cutscenes. The 3DS version is missing the motion blur they used during the cutscenes to mask the lowered framerate in the original version. From everything I've seen thus far, they seem to be very similar, with the PS2 version having a bit of an edge when it comes to cutscene framerate, and a major edge when it comes to the survivor viewer.

Depends on which version of MGS3 you're talking about. This is closer to the original Snake Eater in terms of framerate then Subsistence, but still a bit lower cutscene-wise.
Then again, this is "Snake Eater 3D", not "Subsistence 3D".

Wait for superior Vita version?

I'm interested to see what they do control wise with the Vita version. There's no pressure sensitive buttons and they can't do what they did with the 360 version because the Vita's sticks don't click in. We know that you slit throats by flicking the rear touch panel, so I'm guessing a lot of things will be touch based. That could be good or bad depending on how well it's executed, I guess.

sfried

I recall MGS3 having worse framerate than MGS:TTS.

sfried

MGS:TTS looked a lot worse than MGS3, and while it does hit 60 fps, it has a really erratic framerate.
I believe Silicon Knights was also aiming to apply normal mapping in the game but didn't quite pull through. But I think he's right in mentioning there's lots of motion (and depth of field) blur in the original to compensate for some of the limitations.

Ridley327

I believe Silicon Knights was also aiming to apply normal mapping in the game but didn't quite pull through. But I think he's right in mentioning there's lots of motion (and depth of field) blur in the original to compensate for some of the limitations.

There's some bump mapping effects present in the game, but I don't know if it was because of the timeframe it was developed in or SK in general being woefully subpar when it comes to graphics, but the whole game was very, very, very uneven from a technical POV and it overall looked incredibly mediocre.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I recall MGS3 having worse framerate than MGS:TTS.
Correct, but The Twin Snakes was designed to look and feel like MGS2 which DID run at a near perfect 60 fps. TTS has a VERY unsteady framerate that dips constantly and the game itself looks generally worse than MGS2.

MGS3 did run at 30 fps (with slowdown), however, due to the massive increase in processing requirements (as a result of the huge locales, foliage, etc).

OmegaZero

That's a good point. o.o
Well, Yoshi has been confirmed by someone on GameFAQs who got it in NYC early:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997803-metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d/61996460

and apparently, the locations of them have been changed:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997803-metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d/62011376

Yes, on both counts. When you shoot him, he makes the sound of Mario mounting him.

Edit: According to the GameFAQs community back in the day, I was the first person on the Internets to find and shoot all the Kerotans in the original Snake Eater (and by proxy, the first person to unlock Stealth Camo). I played straight for 24 hours hunting them down, and posted a video/proof on their boards. It was a pretty wild time.

Needless to say, I have no interest in shooting all the Yoshis if the reward is the same.

OmegaZero

Yes, on both counts. When you shoot him, he makes the sound of Mario mounting him.

Now whenever I shoot one, that image will be burned into my head. Even if you meant it in the least inappropriate sense.

Edit: According to the GameFAQs community back in the day, I was the first person on the Internets to find and shoot all the Kerotans in the original Snake Eater (and by proxy, the first person to unlock Stealth Camo). I played straight for 24 hours hunting them down, and posted a video/proof on their boards. It was a pretty wild time.

Needless to say, I have no interest in shooting all the Yoshis if the reward is the same.

That's pretty crazy.
But you should do it again. For science!

Also, is there Yoshi camo? I remember there being Kerotan camo in the original.

That's pretty crazy.
But you should do it again. For science!

Also, is there Yoshi camo? I remember there being Kerotan camo in the original.

You know, I wonder if there is a Yoshi camo. That would be neat.

By the way, you post on GameFAQs, don't you? I see you're posting on their Snake Eater 3D boards (I'm Magus 12000).

OmegaZero

You know, I wonder if there is a Yoshi camo. That would be neat.

By the way, you post on GameFAQs, don't you? I see you're posting on their Snake Eater 3D boards (I'm Magus 12000).

Yeah, I do. It's pretty interesting seeing how that community reacts to the demo as opposed to this one.

That would be sooo funny if half way through the game when you aim in FPS one eye gets the iron sights and the other eye gets a totally black screen XD.

Also to everyone complaining about no 3D in FPS: 3D during FPS would ruin how the iron sights work. There's a reason people close an eye when shooting. It's so that they don't see closer things (the gun) in double vision.

Also to everyone complaining about no 3D in FPS: 3D during FPS would ruin how the iron sights work. There's a reason people close an eye when shooting. It's so that they don't see closer things (the gun) in double vision.

Of course real professionals are trained to keep both eyes open while shooting, but the 3DS's 3D isn't quite the same as real life and for the purposes of this game it makes sense.

Again, the only way to make first person aiming work perfectly is to use a laser-style reticle with a dot that intersects with the object three dimensionally, exactly the way Revelations does it (and notably doesn't do it with rifles, which shows the problem).

That would be sooo funny if half way through the game when you aim in FPS one eye gets the iron sights and the other eye gets a totally black screen XD.

This is a great idea and totally possible, though I wonder what it would look like in practice.

kunonabi

The no 3d during aiming was really jarring and uncomfortable at first but when you know it's coming it isn't distracting. I still don't like it though.

Maybe it's because it's been kinda long since I played 3 (Subsistence) and maybe time is playing tricks on my memories, but I don't think the demo played noticeably better than what I remember MGS3S being on PS2. Or at least I didn't have any problems with the original game that I would have felt the additions fixed/improved on noticeably.

The thing is... the improvements that they made are so subtle that its hard to believe that they were ever not there.

Try going back to MGS3 on PS2 or, hell, even on PS3. You'll notice that there is no crouchwalking, no 3rd person shooting perspective, and the UI is more of a pain to manage.

I started the HD collection a couple weeks ago and went from MGS3 intro straight to Peacewalker and the controls additions are so much more intuitive. MGS3D controls more like Peacewalker than MGS3 vanilla, for better or for worse.

Say what you will about the camera controlled with facebuttons, but the control additions are unquestionably better.

braves01

Banned
One little detail that has bothered me about the demo: when you climb out of the mud, there is no mud on Snake's pants, which is definitely the case in the PS2 version.

loosus

Banned
The thing is... the improvements that they made are so subtle that its hard to believe that they were ever not there.

Try going back to MGS3 on PS2 or, hell, even on PS3. You'll notice that there is no crouchwalking, no 3rd person shooting perspective, and the UI is more of a pain to manage.

I started the HD collection a couple weeks ago and went from MGS3 intro straight to Peacewalker and the controls additions are so much more intuitive. MGS3D controls more like Peacewalker than MGS3 vanilla, for better or for worse.

Say what you will about the camera controlled with facebuttons, but the control additions are unquestionably better.

No no and no. The controls are the most broken part of the game. You're insane if you think this game has "unquestionably better' controls than the original version. They're not only not better...they're much, much worse.

Ridley327

What are some of Peacewalker's improvements? For example, what's so good about third person aiming? I thought it was always in the game?

Stuff that MGS4/PW changed:

-addition of being able to crouch while moving
-melee and weapon functions are now combined on the same button
-CQC is no longer dependent on pressure sensitivity
-being able to move and aim at the same time, as well as being able to change your orientation to have a better view of the action (MGS4 and MGS3D also allow you to switch between first- and third-person views on the fly)

Basically, all they did was simplify everything you could do in MGS3 without getting rid of anything. It's easily the best thing that MGS4 added to the series.

Oh man, did you post videos of a The Boss run? I remember being on the GameFAQs forums a lot when Snake Eater came out. I downloaded these videos to copy when I did my own run.

No no and no. The controls are the most broken part of the game. You're insane if you think this game has "unquestionably better' controls than the original version. They're not only not better...they're much, much worse.

I dont think you understood my post. In fact, it seems like you only read the last sentence out of context.

web01

Stuff that MGS4/PW changed:

-addition of being able to crouch while moving
-melee and weapon functions are now combined on the same button
-CQC is no longer dependent on pressure sensitivity
-being able to move and aim at the same time, as well as being able to change your orientation to have a better view of the action (MGS4 and MGS3D also allow you to switch between first- and third-person views on the fly)

Basically, all they did was simplify everything you could do in MGS3 without getting rid of anything. It's easily the best thing that MGS4 added to the series.

Yep after playing MGS4/MGO I feel so limited in my control of my character playing MGS3 HD, still an amazing game though. The control additions to MGS3 3D are really good. The only thing I would change is take rifle zoom on sniper rifles off the touch screen and onto the D PAD.

Just noticed in the demo you can also hit the touch screen over the map to change between standing and crouching. The more I play the demo with default controls the more I'm getting used to it. Glad I decided to get it. Just waiting for Amazon to ship it...getting kind of late.

OmegaZero

I still don't get why side-crawling was included.
More options are better, but side-crawling is much slower then regular crawling and still lowers your camo index by 5%.
Unless Snake still gets stuck against walls when trying to turn.

sfried

Just noticed in the demo you can also hit the touch screen over the map to change between standing and crouching. The more I play the demo with default controls the more I'm getting used to it. Glad I decided to get it. Just waiting for Amazon to ship it...getting kind of late.
These are one of the few reasons I'm sticking with it. I feel much is unexplained due to a lack of manual, but some time tinkering with it and I was hiding in and out.
I still don't get why side-crawling was included.
More options are better, but side-crawling is much slower then regular crawling and still lowers your camo index by 5%.
Unless Snake still gets stuck against walls when trying to turn.
It's useful for adjusting aim when behind a treelog...a TREEFROG.

Top Bottom