• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Asriel

Well, my copy has just arrived at work! Only a few hours until I wreck a bit of havok on Medici!

I know reviews are opinions and all but lately I've been seeing a trend in reviews criticizing mini maps in open world games (and I agree, I think they detract a lot from the open world concept) so it surprises me this one in particular has it as a negative.

IMO it's a HUGE positive.

And I think it's a negative. What's wrong with pulling a Witcher and having virtually every part of the HUD removable?

Karak

Carefully picked footage from Playstation Access or a different build. Game doesnt even run anywhere near close that smooth for me.

My first hour and change of streaming the ps4 version:

http://m.ustream.tv/recorded/78678425?rmalang=nl_NL

I have now seen this running on 5 systems including 2 of my own(xbox one and PS4) and NONE of them had similar running patterns regardless of like for like systems and all had the most available patches.
Actually make that six now that I recount.

jet1911

The framerate is kinda shit even when nothing happens. Just panning the camera around in the small camp after the intro mission results in framedrops. :/

Arttemis

Carefully picked footage from Playstation Access or a different build. Game doesnt even run anywhere near close that smooth for me.

I must be missing something. I'm watching you play this and not seeing problem beyond loading times. I see you blow up a gas station and surrounding vehicles in a tank, complain about the framerate, while seeing only a minimal, quarter of a second dip.

I have now seen this running on 5 systems including 2 of my own(xbox one and PS4) and NONE of them had similar running patterns regardless of like for like systems and all had the most available patches.

That said, something is very wrong then. Shouldn't be this way, these are consoles not differently built PC. Wonder why this is happening.

MMaRsu

Banned

Hey man what do you mean.with running patterns?

I recorded that after installing the patch..

Maybe the video doesnt show off the fps drops I dont know I cant watch on mobile but it was terrible. At one point I start shooting around in a town and it goes so low it looks like its hitching.

newsguy

This could explain alot. Some users report very bad framerates while others say it's not as bad as people are saying. Maybe both groups are completely right and something is causing the game to perform differently on each person's console.

Erban1

This could explain alot. Some users report very bad framerates while others say it's not as bad as people are saying. Maybe both groups are completely right and something is causing the game to perform differently on each person's console.

Bad news if true...I'm still picking this up tomorrow I just hope I'm not unlucky.

This kind of reminds me of when Battlefield 4 launched and some people (including me) had small issues while the game was nearly unplayable for others.

Karak

It explains a bunch and I assume, ignoring small differences in what people can handle it is what they are seeing.. We have already seen this back into the 360 and PS3 days but the variances where much smaller and usually could easily be attirubuted to that stupid 4gig Xbox 360 or a system left on for too long or caches needing flushed but this isn't new.

Then we saw it most egregiously with Fallout 4 and some people are still having issues with that title. The only thing ever put forward is that it has to do with apps, and the various states that these consoles can be in(rest and so forth) I mean we saw Bloodborne when you left it running for too long and the issues with memory allocation there. Luckily, patchable of course but its not unheard of on any hardware with a complex OS to start having issues with allocation the longer its used.

Why would it be different on identical hardware, it makes no sense.

I have the same exact PC in 2 places built by the same manufacture run one longer than the other, run a couple applications and then watch things act slightly differently(not as magnified as here but also a far more flushed out OS) These consoles are reaping the whirlwind of odd behaviors. I mean we already have examples since the 360 days with the stupid cache. Its not unheard of. And a game that is poorly optimized...well maybe there is a higher chance. We can already see this bearing out on videos right now.

danowat

Banned
So are we saying that, potentially, there are apps on each systems store that have the ability to affect, negatively, each systems performance?

I don't know, sounds a bit Iffy to me....

Karak

So are we saying that, potentially, there are apps on each systems store that have the ability to affect, negatively, each systems performance?

I don't know, sounds a bit Iffy to me....

No we are saying that the complexity of these systems with their OS's means its possible. We already have video proof of weird difference in these threads and we know its been possible to have odd issues since last gen. So its about as iffy as...already happened lol
But thats just one of the theories but it makes the most sense mixed with the possibily of rest modes and such like Bloodborne. Another example of oddness

No we are saying that the complexity of these systems with their OS's means its possible. We already have video proof oif weird difference in these threads and we know its been possible to have odd issues since last gen.

Still reeks of poor system optimization, especially on a game that went gold months ago.Not good.

Woo-Fu

Banned
That said, something is very wrong then. Shouldn't be this way, these are consoles not differently built PC. Wonder why this is happening.
Off the top of my head the first thing that comes to mind is file system fragmentation. Something that could be wildly different between consoles that have exactly the same hardware. Since load times are the big issue I see people mentioning it would make sense.

Another potential is any sort of downclocking going on for thermal protection. I don't know if modern consoles can/do do that, but differences in ambient temperature and/or cleanliness inside the consoles could be a variable.

Two things I won't have to worry about when this preload on PC finishes in another 11 and a half hours, sigh.

Karak

Off the top of my head the first thing that comes to mind is file system fragmentation. Something that could be wildly different between consoles that have exactly the same hardware.

Ya another plausible cause but not sure the massive differences videos show would account for it.

MJLord

Can we unlock this using a VPN anyone got the name of a good free one? I wanted to be able to play tonight instead of thinking about it all day at work tomorrow?

Mudo

Could someone do me a favor and let me know if the cd keys version is for the U.S. ? The boxart says PEGI 18 in the corner but i'm getting a blank white page when I try to view the details on my phone, and the webpage is blocked at my job - I don't want to purchase it before making sure I will get a copy for US Region....

Corpekata

Banned
Could someone do me a favor and let me know if the cd keys version is for the U.S. ? The boxart says PEGI 18 in the corner but i'm getting a blank white page when I try to view the details on my phone, and the webpage is blocked at my job - I don't want to purchase it before making sure I will get a copy for US Region....

Given how popular the deal was, not just here, but on other forums, if it wasn't a US copy or ROW, we'd have been hearing screaming hordes about it by now since they've already been sending out keys.

I hope Rico still says a bunch of dumb shit all the time in this one. I would crack up every time he said "SOMEDAY THEY'LL WRITE BOOKS ABOUT ALL DIS!" In JC2 when all I did was drive a car off a cliff, lol.

Durden77

I watched this and while I did skip around because I'm trying to avoid spoilers and it could be the archive itself, I noticed nothing coming close to an unplayable mess like you've been describing at all. The load times suck (which could be attributed to the servers), but that's about it.

Is there a particular point in the video you can point me to where the game is just utter shit? Because as of now any dips in performance is something I will hardly notice if at all in the middle of having a fucking blast.

Never played these games, do i need convincing or should i just impulse buy and hope for the best?

JC2 is much cheaper, probably on sale right now. Just go for that first, and if you enjoy it get JC3 when it goes on sale and has a few patches under its belt.

Durden77

Never played these games, do i need convincing or should i just impulse buy and hope for the best?

If it wern't for the weird mix of technical issues popping up, I would 100% say go for it. This is like, the best go for it game out there. But as of now it's hard to tell how well the game is actually going to run which might bum you out. Some people are saying it's fine, other people are saying it runs like shit.

But if framerate dips and such don't bother you too much, or if you'd be playing on PC, definitely go for it.

MMaRsu

Banned
I watched this and while I did skip around because I'm trying to avoid spoilers and it could be the archive itself, I noticed nothing coming close to an unplayable mess like you've been describing at all. The load times suck (which could be attributed to the servers), but that's about it.

Is there a particular point in the video you can point me to where the game is just utter shit? Because as of now any dips in performance is something I will hardly notice if at all in the middle of having a fucking blast.

I cant watch the vid now since im on mobile.. so no sorry. Im curious how the vid looks tho.. my first night was real rough with this game. About to boot it up to try and make a few vids

SJRB

Gold Member
0GVhjsN.jpg

Greatest air instrument band ever.

Cool Bloodborne reference.

Stumbled upon this memorial stone. It was at a beautiful location near a lighthouse overlooking the main island. Very touching to put something like this in the game.

Xbox One version isinstalling now. For those of you wondering what are chaos points used for there's a contest to win an island for the guy who will have the most points in 3 months.
So, a contest for no lifers? Are they resetting chaos points tonight or are people who got it early going to have an advantage?

Not that it matters to me, no way in hell will I even be in the top 10,000.
Can we unlock this using a VPN anyone got the name of a good free one? I wanted to be able to play tonight instead of thinking about it all day at work tomorrow?

Where do you live? It's apparently unlocking globally at the same time, 12AM GMT Tuesday, 7PM EST/4PM PST today. So if you're in the U.S. So we've got less than four and a half hours left.

It's a global key.

ironcreed

Banned

Stumbled upon this memorial stone. It was at a beautiful location near a lighthouse overlooking the main island. Very touching to put something like this in the game.

The game really is very pretty. Especially considering the gargantuan size.

Mudo

So, a contest for no lifers? Are they resetting chaos points tonight or are people who got it early going to have an advantage?

Not that it matters to me, no way in hell will I even be in the top 10,000.

Where do you live? It's apparently unlocking globally at the same time, 12AM GMT Tuesday, 7PM EST/4PM PST today. So if you're in the U.S. So we've got less than four and a half hours left.

It's a global key.

Thanks! Ordered

Durden77

Hell yes. Good to know this seems to be packed full of cool easter eggs too. Loved that about JC2. I saw an articld has already been posted about them but I'm trying to avoid looking at it until I get some time to explore myself.

Top Bottom