• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Judge supernova

Tankard

Now is the time i start watching MLB....a little.

So as a Yankees fan that just kept hearing about Judge, i'm looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs.

So as a Yankees fan

Yeah, that's pretty much the stereotypical Yankee fan there.
"Don't pay attention until the end of the season if the Yankees are going to make the playoffs."

So glad I don't have to deal with my (former) in-laws anymore.

TS-08

So as a Yankees fan that just kept hearing about Judge, i'm looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs.

Well hopefully they win the Wild Card game, otherwise you're only going to see him once.

I hated the Yankees growing up but now they are my team cause of my boy Aaron Judge. If the Dodgers or Indians dont go all the way this year then I hope its the Yankees.

Joe

"Don't pay attention until the end of the season if the Yankees are going to make the playoffs."

You're the stereotypical online cynic who dispenses gloom and pessimism through the facade of fandom.

All of this MVP talk severely underrates Jose Ramirez of the Cleveland Indians. This isn't getting into what's happened post All Star break.

Really interesting MVP race this year though I think Judge takes it, with a big caveat that he died for about a month and a half. So it depends how much you value consistency. Altuve has zero holes in his offense and can steal. But hitting twice as many HRs is way better than 35 steals, and Judge’s monstrous OBP makes up for his also-absurd strikeout rate.

Again, though, he was a black hole from the AS break through August.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It used to be "best player not named Barry Bonds unless his season was ridiculously better than the second best player." Barry Bonds has since been replace by Miguel Tuna.

Or if the Giants weren't contending for a playoff spot. In the years the Giants weren't great in the 90s (and Bonds didn't miss a lot of time due to injury), Bonds had numbers about as good or better than the NL MVP winner those years. He easily could have gotten at least 3 more MVPs than he did.

Quixzlizx

OPS is kind of meaning less when he literally only hits HRs. Baustista and others had some nice OPS with bad averages because they only connected for homers, rest was strikeouts.

How does that make OPS meaningless? That's the point of OPS... it takes walks and home runs into account so people don't do stupid things like judge (tehe~) offensive ability based solely on batting average.

TS-08

All of this MVP talk severely underrates Jose Ramirez of the Cleveland Indians. This isn't getting into what's happened post All Star break.

Ramirez is awesome, and I know the Indians' insane run since August is why many are arguing he should get more attention, but there's really no good argument for him getting it over Judge or Altuve. Thats why he just doesn't come up much. Even Trout has mostly fallen out of the discussions.

Judge is a sub .260 hitter with RISP and was hitting .329 at the break. He’s having a great offensive year but he’s not the MVP. I am a Yankees fan, too. He’s not even their best all-around hitter. He’s strong and intimidating and can make the ball go a long way if he connects. He’s Giancarlo on the other side of the league.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
arod.gif

LOL

TS-08

OPS is kind of meaning less when he literally only hits HRs. Baustista and others had some nice OPS with bad averages because they only connected for homers, rest was strikeouts.

Judge leads the AL in OBP, wOBA, is second in MLB in wRC+ behind Trout, and leads all position players in fWAR (or was tied with Altuve before today, at least). He also isn't just second in OPS - his OPS is 1.038 after today, which is the elite of the elite. What more do you want?

Tankard

I'm not the typical "Yankees" fan. I'm just not interested in the MLB at all anymore during the regular season.

Also, not the point of my post, but i'm glad you care about my watching habits.

How does that make OPS meaningless? That's the point of OPS... it takes walks and home runs into account so people don't do stupid things like judge (tehe~) offensive ability based solely on batting average.

Meaningless is an exaggeration but unless it takes into account runners stranded then it feels like people give it too much weight. Bautista hitting a solo homer after striking out 50 times with 2 runners on base isn't great value. It holds weight but with the strikeout records he's been setting, I would at least take the high number with a grain of salt.

TS-08

Judge is a sub .260 hitter with RISP and was hitting .329 at the break. He’s having a great offensive year but he’s not the MVP. I am a Yankees fan, too. He’s not even their best all-around hitter. He’s strong and intimidating and can make the ball go a long way if he connects. He’s Giancarlo on the other side of the league.

BA with RISP isn't a great metric to judge a hitter by. You may as well judge them by RBI.

He's also by far the best hitter on the team. He's the second best hitter in baseball behind Trout. Maybe only Votto was better this year. He's not Stanton, because unlike Stanton, Judge is elite at getting on base, not just power numbers.

Tankard

The 2nd part of your statement doesn't dismiss the 1st part of your statement - rather, it strengthens it.

And again, thank you for caring so much.
Bottom line of your booboo here is that i'm still a Yankees fan whether you believe it or not and am looking forward to seeing this Aaron guy play (tried to get as casual as i could to make your blood boil a little more, for whatever is the reason you are so triggered).

Judge’s second half (up until September) was awful. He was dropped in the lineup and even benched for his poor performance at the plate. Doesn’t your most valuable player need to be on the field (barring rest days or injuries) and producing at a key slot in the lineup?

TS-08

Judge’s second half (up until September) was awful. He was dropped in the lineup and even benched for his poor performance at the plate. Doesn’t your most valuable player need to be on the field (barring rest days or injuries) and producing at a key slot in the lineup?

Judge has more plate appearances and has appeared in two more games than Altuve.

Edit - the consistency argument is probably what will win the day for Altuve, but I don't think it's fatal to Judge's chances in and of itself. If his numbers were clearly better, he should win it, even though he struggled.

Bottom line of your booboo here is that i'm still a Yankees fan whether you believe it or not

Right - I said you were in my first reply on the matter.

BA with RISP isn't a great metric to judge a hitter by. You may as well judge them by RBI.

BA with RISP is a proportional stat.
RBI is a counting stat.

The two are significantly different, and equating the two shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the importance of proportional stats over counting stats.

He's also by far the best hitter on the team. He's the second best hitter in baseball behind Trout. Maybe only Votto was better this year. He's not Stanton, because unlike Stanton, Judge is elite at getting on base, not just power numbers.

Didi and Sanchez are more well-rounded hitters than Judge. How is the second best hitter in the league getting all of these strikeouts? An out is an out but a hard grounder to short is more telling than a three pitch strikeout. Judge was a sub .200 hitter, batted ninth and scrapped 2 home runs last year. He’s not even in consideration for talking about best hitters in the league until he can accumulate several years of success.

Even this year, Goldy, Murphy, Ramirez, Altuve, Trout - all better hitters this year.

TS-08

Right - I said you were in my first reply on the matter.

BA with RISP is a proportional stat.
RBI is a counting stat.

The two are significantly different, and equating the two shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the importance of proportional stats over counting stats.

That's largely a distinction without a difference in terms of valuing a player. They're both largely situational stats that depend more on chance than skill and individual value. I'm not aware of anyone who takes those numbers all that seriously. I'm pretty sure Molina is over .300 with RISP. I would take Judge in that spot every time.

That's largely a distinction without a difference in terms of valuing a player.

They're absolutely not, though.

Someone who came up 100 times with runners in scoring position and got a hit 80 times is significantly more valuable than someone who came up 400 times with runners in scoring position and only got a hit 100 of those times. The fact that the first player may only have 60 RBIs and the second player may have 175 RBIs - and people valuing the 2nd player over the 1st - is the issue with RBIs, whereas BA with RISP would show that the first player had an 0.800 BA with RISP while the 2nd player had a 0.200 BA with RISP.

They're both largely situational stats

Yes - but with different meanings and interpretations.

Top Bottom