• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

I’ve been searching this thread and Reddit with no luck. Can someone please make icons similar to the Switch-style square icons posted in this thread, for Batman Returns and the three Star Wars games?

Hey man. I have the Illusion of Gaia Beta rom (slightly altered script, better title screen). I tried running patching this version using both LunarIPS as well as manually. LunarIPS says it's successful, but doesn't create a second file. The manual way throws the following error:

wKtjO9C.png

Any way you could possibly make the patch work with this rom as well?

I could give you the addresses to manually change, but if the ips isn't working for it...

That said, the beta has identical checksums to the final release (actual, not calculated) which is odd. I'm away from home at the moment but I'll contact you later for more details.

Psxphile

LunarIPS doesn't create another file, it patches the rom file you're using directly. You need to make your own copy if you want to keep an unaltered version.

SOLDIER

Got the sprites working as small icons, but maybe they’re a little too small to really appreciate. Anyone got a recommended dimension size for a 55 inch OLED?

PMS341

Anyone have trouble having more than 16 frames in total? I was only able to add 2-3 extra until they stopped showing up in the Display options.

EDIT: Was only some typos.

I can't seem to get the driver to install on my SNES Mini...or at least, I think?

So I opened up hakchi for the first time, did the power/reset song and dance, and dumped the kernel. I think tossed Chrono Trigger into the system, synced it, then plugged the console into the TV. Game was there, game worked great. I plugged the snes classic back into my computer, did the whole power/reset song and dance again, and tried to sync more games. But now I'm getting a pop up telling my to plug the mini in, power it on, and install the driver if need be.

Uh, what did I do wrong? Why did it work at the beginning but not now?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I can't seem to get the driver to install on my SNES Mini...or at least, I think?

So I opened up hakchi for the first time, did the power/reset song and dance, and dumped the kernel. I think tossed Chrono Trigger into the system, synced it, then plugged the console into the TV. Game was there, game worked great. I plugged the snes classic back into my computer, did the whole power/reset song and dance again, and tried to sync more games. But now I'm getting a pop up telling my to plug the mini in, power it on, and install the driver if need be.

Uh, what did I do wrong? Why did it work at the beginning but not now?

don't hold reset when you try to upload games now

Can you still only put 62 games on the system? I didn't try anymore because I didn't want to mess it up.

I appreciate that it shows the games in like 21 block sets, with folders for the next 21.

MrMan2k3

I’ve been searching this thread and Reddit with no luck. Can someone please make icons similar to the Switch-style square icons posted in this thread, for Batman Returns and the three Star Wars games?

I put together all the "Switch style" icons I could find, and made a few of my own.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...GljWFBQZXhNM1E

Among the ones I found were some for the 3 Super Star Wars games. I might make some of my own as I'm not 100% happy with the black borders above and below the icons, but these are what I'm using for now.

I haven't seen anything for Batman Returns yet, but I can try to throw something together.

thebeeks

Banned
I put together all the "Switch style" icons I could find, and made a few of my own.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...GljWFBQZXhNM1E

Among the ones I found were some for the 3 Super Star Wars games. I might make some of my own as I'm not 100% happy with the black borders above and below the icons, but these are what I'm using for now.

I haven't seen anything for Batman Returns yet, but I can try to throw something together.

i3zmCDW.png

Just whipped up this little Yoshi's Island icon (I wanted to do something with the super cute Japanese magazine ad for the GBA version) and figured I'd share it. Feel free to add to the collection.

OmegaDL50

Well I made some more box arts.

Found some official artwork online and used them as the baseline.

I'm not too sure about that Mystery of the Emblem one though. I cannot verify if it's an official piece or fan art. I'm not familiar with the game, but someone requested I make some Fire Emblem box arts and I complied. In any case, they are freely available for those who wish to use them.

https://imgur.com/a/HJaML

mdsfx

I've had this on both 2.0 and the more recent release of Hakchi. Every once in a while, usually when using save states, the system crashes into boot loops. I only have 45 or so games on it with folders disabled. Why does this keep happening?

I got king of fighters 98 to work but breakers revenge doesn't work and I made sure to change zip to fba in the command line directory. Also, I made sure to add neogeo bios where the rom is. However, it didn't work. Am I out of luck to getting that game to work?

denx

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is it possible to delete specific games from the original 21? I'd like to replace FF3 with a fan translation of FF6.

jayr281

I like that the themes carry over to retroarch...except for GBA games that aren't the same aspect ratio. I just have to turn off the borders when I play non 4:3 games :(

denx

nvm im dumb

Another noob question, what folder structure are you guys using so that the games you add show up together with the original 21 games and not on separate folders?

let me get this right, i have a European SNES mini, i must have PAL ROMS to make it work? or NTSC ROMS will work too ...thanks

Precisely the opposite. Regardless of which version of the SNESC you have you need NTSC ROM's because the SNESC is not designed to handle 50Hz video.

Finishing up some custom frames. Once I work out a few kinks with the options, I'll ZIP and upload them.
What's the easiest way to make borders for the SNES mini? I'm kind of a Photoshop noob, but I want to make Cybernator, Wild Guns and Aerobiz borders.

Thanks. How do you hide games tho

edit: wait, if I want to hide just one game from the original 21, it means I have to hide all the original games?

Another noob question, what folder structure are you guys using so that the games you add show up together with the original 21 games and not on separate folders?
Disabled. Which is the first option.

You can only have 63 games if you use that setup.

Santar

Starting to think that Enix used some sound technique that isn't emulated properly. I can null OP past it waiting for the sound to start, but if the sound isn't playing/being emulated properly to begin with... Not sure there is anything that can be done in Canoe. I'll tinker for a bit more though.

Hello.
I'm not sure if this is of any help to you but a user on MiniSNESmods on Reddit posted some info om Terranigma:

What issues is terranigma having on canoe? Long ago I did some tweaks to get terranigma running on snes copiers and even modded my NTSC snes so I could play the physical cart.

On boot the game checks if you are running at 50 hz (PAL) and if not it loops. I made a 50/60 hz switch for my snes to get past that for a physical cart, and a patch that can be used on the ROM. I have it somewhere, not sure where.

One issue I had was that it would crash on snes copiers at some point, I don't remember exactly where. I may be mixing this up with Tales of Phantasia, but I do remember deinterlacing a rom by hand and it started working.

I may possibly remember if I get some specifics, but that's what I remember offhand.

PS: I also tried an otg cable with build in hub on the snes mini a few days ago. It powered on ok but didn't seem to do anything much when I plugged in a keyboard or flash drive, and I was too afraid to try much more.

Just thought I'd post it on the off chance it might be of any help.

Raitaro

Still not sure if I am brave enough to attempt the hacking procedure since I'm not really good with PC's, emulator installation, file managment and such things anymore. The problems people have been running into (especially near the beginning of the thread) don't particularly make me more confident either. I get that you'll have a file with which to restore the SNES mini but I would have no clue how to, honestly.

That said, what might push me over the edge is if the added games will show up in the attract mode / gameplay demo. Do they? I believe the NES Classic never allowed for this but my info might be outdated on that. Sorry if asked and answered before but this thread has been moving so fast.

It would be great to have 20 or so more games on this thing, don't get me wrong, especially more two-player games like Tetris Attack, Tetris & Dr. Mario, Turtles in Time, Goof Troop, Zombies ate my Neighbors, Super Bomberman 2, etc. I'd also add Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, Cybernator, Skyblazer, Demon's Crest, DKC2 and 3, MMX2 and 3, Pilotwings, Super Mario All-stars, and a few more just to have it better reflect my old SNES collection and experiences. The fact that I could play all of these games in 60hz and full screen without slowdown on a modern tv with one small device and original controllers is still magical to me after decades of bad PAL conversions.

I got king of fighters 98 to work but breakers revenge doesn't work and I made sure to change zip to fba in the command line directory. Also, I made sure to add neogeo bios where the rom is. However, it didn't work. Am I out of luck to getting that game to work?

maybe some games just won't work

I couldn't get AvP to work for example. No problem with 1942 or WindJammers tho.

Kadmac25

Tried doing some searches but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know where the in-game saves (not save states) are located on the SNES Classic? Which folder do I need to look?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Still not sure if I am brave enough to attempt the hacking procedure since I'm not really good with PC's, emulator installation, file managment and such things anymore. The problems people hae been running into (especially near the beginning of the thread) don't particularly make me more confident either. I get that you'll have a file with which to restore the SNES mini but I would have no clue how to, honestly.

That said, what might push me over the edge is if the added games will show up in the attract mode / gameplay demo. Do they? I believe the NES Classic never allowed for this but my info might be outdated on that. Sorry if asked and answered before but this thread has been moving so fast.

It would be great to have 20 or so more games on this thing, don't get me wrong, especially more two-player games like Tetris Attack, Tetris & Dr. Mario, Turtles in Time, Goof Troop, Zombies ate my Neighbors, Super Bomberman 2, etc. I'd also add Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, Cybernator, Skyblazer, Demon's Crest, DKC2 and 3, MMX2 and 3, Pilotwings, Super Mario All-stars, and a few more just to have it better reflect my old SNES collection and experiences. The fact that I could play all of these games in 60hz and full screen without slowdown on a modern tv with one small device and original controllers is still magical to me after decades of bad PAL conversions.

They do show up in the demo feature, I think. They don't show borders, as far as I can tell, though. To be honest, I haven't played many games for which I've used save states.

If you follow the instructions and back up your kernel, it's very, very hard to do actual irreperable damage to your SNESC. Everything that belongs to the OS (the system itself, the graphics, the games, etc.) is located in a non-writable partition, meaning that you will (probably) not overwrite anything vital to the console if you don't purposefully go out of the way to bork things up. And even if you get an error or screw the process up, you can always restore your orginal kernel and start over from scratch.

Do it. This thing is meant to be turned into the ultimate SNES machine :)

Raitaro

They do show up in the demo feature, I think. They don't show borders, as far as I can tell, though. To be honest, I haven't played many games for which I've used save states.

If you follow the instructions and back up your kernel, it's very, very hard to do actual irreperable damage to your SNESC. Everything that belongs to the OS (the system itself, the graphics, the games, etc.) is located in a non-writable partition, meaning that you will (probably) not overwrite anything vital to the console if you don't purposefully go out of the way to bork things up. And even if you get an error or screw the process up, you can always restore your orginal kernel and start over from scratch.

Do it. This thing is meant to be turned into the ultimate SNES machine :)

Thanks for replying. I've been watching a few tutorials and I agree, it does seem difficult to bork the thing if you keep that kernel file safe so I might end up trying it afterall. That said, I still don't fully know for sure if using that old kernel to revert the device back to its factory settings will also remove all traces of Hakchi itself, seeing as you'd be using Hakchi's built in "Revert" command to do so. Can you comment on this?

I'd also like to see some confirmation from anyone on the demo reel playing the added games or not. Since Mario skips over Star Fox 2 when you don't have it unlocked yet, if I remember correctly, and seeing as you have the option to choose your own demo footage now, one would assume that the demo function is flexible enough to incorporate more games than the initial 20 or 21. Again, if anyone has tried this, please let me/us know the result. Cheers.

Edit: in case some of you are wondering about why I'm hung up on the demo so much: I really like turning the SNES Classic on and letting it sit idle in the background while it cycles through the games. It's just cool to every once in a while catch a glimpse of a random game and hearing the various sounds while you do other stuff in the house. It reminds me of the old game store I worked in and how they always had a few console set up to run demo's for customers to gawk at and try.

Robin64

I'd also like to see some confirmation from anyone on the demo reel playing the added games or not. Since Mario skips over Star Fox 2 when you don't have it unlocked yet, if I remember correctly, and seeing as you have the option to choose your own demo footage now, one would assume that the demo function is flexible enough to incorporate more games than the initial 20 or 21. Again, if anyone has tried this, please let me/us know the result. Cheers.

It will play demo reels of added games that you have save states for. The built-in games have some extra files for inputs that run demos, but custom games will only use save states and their rewind data for demo purposes. So basically, the more you play, the more demo footage you get.

Does anyone know where the in-game saves (not save states) are located on the SNES Classic? Which folder do I need to look?

Same folder as the save states. /var/config/0//saves or something like that, sorry, at work at not at the Mini to check. I believe they have the .cart extension or .battery or something along those lines.

Raitaro

It will play demo reels of added games that you have save states for. The built-in games have some extra files for inputs that run demos, but custom games will only use save states and their rewind data for demo purposes. So basically, the more you play, the more demo footage you get.

I see, thanks for explaining (and for all your work here!). I guess that is better than no demo reel at all even if I would have preferred it if it would just cycle through the title screens like in the standard demo. Is it possible that a later version of Hakchi will allow for a standard demo reel to run or is that simply impossible due to how the original games have those files for inputs that you mention (making it so that it is that custom demo function that acts as a workaround in this case compared to NES Classic)?

If I may follow-up with one last question about Hakchi versions in general: would it be wise to wait for a final Hakchi release or is it unlikely that that will be released any time soon (again, not sure how this went with the NES Classic version of Hakchi and if there ever was a final version)? I understand that you can keep updating the software by repeating the steps and copying the rom folder and such, or even opt for a built-in auto-update fuction at some point I believe, but that seems like a bit of a hassle for someone like me who rarely has the opportunity to use a laptop anymore (due to space issues / child rearing mostly).

Robin64

I think they might also be able to load up their title screen and do whatever that game originally did, ie, without inputs. But if a game stayed on the title screen and had no built-in demo, that's all it would do.

As for hakchi, grab it now. It is effectively "final", in that it all works, but he never really stops updating it. The NES Mini updates went on for months. If you get the portable version (not the web installer), you can update in future by just dropping the new files in your folder and overwriting whatever it wants. Things like your snes_games folder stay intact, so you lose nothing in the upgrade.

Sailor Xan

Neo Member
Just added some games to my mini. The good news is that almost all of them seem to run flawlessly. The bad news is that the one that doesn't run flawlessly is Seiken Densetsu 3... the one I was most excited for. Alas, the slowdown when running through Retroarch is pretty awful.

TheMoon

I made one for DKC3 too. It's really good, I spent a long time with a focus group of people (not Neiteio) who all had their input. We decided to focus on the most popular thing about the game, the new precocious baby character, and we used art of him with his mouth open to emphasize that this is a fun game.

Please use it as much as possible.

4SITcko.png

Make one for every game, but for all non-DKC3 games, have Kiddy have the title logo in his mouth.

Top Bottom