• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

ParityBit

So if I wanted to start 100% fresh, should I just make a new hakchi2 folder, hook up my SNES and flash back using my original dump? I was fooling around with some stuff (*.20) and since I do not care about anything I did, I was thinking just starting fresh with the latest from today.

Oh! My bad. I have not played any of the Lufia games, to be honest. The best artwork I could find for Lufia 1 was (what I thought was) from the DS remake. Now I'm finding out that it's actually a remake of the second game! Oops!

Does anyone have any suggestion for Lufia *1* artwork I could use?

No art really. Just the cover for the game which I am quite fond of.

search

Was wondering if anyone could rank the following RPGs from best to worst:

1.Live A Live

2. Bahamut Lagoon

3. Treasure of the Rudras

4. Treasure Hunter G

5. Breath of Fire 2

6. Gunman’s Proof (its more of a Zelda type but w/e)

7. Terranigma

8. SMT

Right now I’m randomly bouncing between games, but I would like to hunker down with an RPG or two to completion. I’m not mentioning Earthbound or Secret of Mana as I intend to definitely play those to completion sooner rather than later.

Just mainly wondering the most recommended if Japanese exclusive RPGs.

From best to worst in my opinion.

Terranigma
BoF2
Live a live
SMT
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure Hunter G

inner-G

Banned
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...ease_tool_to_convert_an_nes_classic_firmware/

Just a heads-up, I released a tool to let the SNESC dual-boot the NESC firmware on reddit. You get both GUIs, menus, save functionalities, screen filters, etc.
That’s crazy - does it still c8 if you power off from the SNES front end?

(Also, how much space does that take?)

OT: Has anyone tried out Final Fights 2 and 3, X Men Mutant Apocalypse, Marvel Super Heroes, Separation Anxiety, and Maximum Carnage with this yet? Any issues worth noting?
I played just like a lilevel or two of Final Fight 3 and X-men and they both worked for me on the native emulator

PMS341

That might be the worst "music" I've ever suffered through.

OT: Has anyone tried out Final Fights 2 and 3, X Men Mutant Apocalypse, Marvel Super Heroes, Separation Anxiety, and Maximum Carnage with this yet? Any issues worth noting?

They aren't for everyone, no doubt.

No issues with Final Fight 2/3, but haven't tested those others personally.

Fjordson

Was wondering if anyone could rank the following RPGs from best to worst:

1.Live A Live

2. Bahamut Lagoon

3. Treasure of the Rudras

4. Treasure Hunter G

5. Breath of Fire 2

6. Gunman’s Proof (its more of a Zelda type but w/e)

7. Terranigma

8. SMT

Right now I’m randomly bouncing between games, but I would like to hunker down with an RPG or two to completion. I’m not mentioning Earthbound or Secret of Mana as I intend to definitely play those to completion sooner rather than later.

Just mainly wondering the most recommended if Japanese exclusive RPGs.
1. Terranigma
2. Breath of Fire II
3. Bahamut Lagoon
4. Live a Live
5. SMT
6. Treasure Hunter 6

Those are the ones I've played. I like all of them, but I'd say Terranigma and Bof 2 are my favorites.

LOUD915

So if I wanted to start 100% fresh, should I just make a new hakchi2 folder, hook up my SNES and flash back using my original dump? I was fooling around with some stuff (*.20) and since I do not care about anything I did, I was thinking just starting fresh with the latest from today.
Yes. Also uninstall hakchi first and then load your original dump.

Joey Ravn

Banned
No art really. Just the cover for the game which I am quite fond of.

search

If it comes to that, I guess I'll use the NA cover of the game. But I kinda don't like it. The second game has amazing artwork, and the Japanese version of Lufia (Estpolis) has much more "character", if you ask me.

I like that one. Maybe I'll try my hand at it and give it a go with that box art...

Impotaku

Seems the missing font problem continues on the super famicom mini, if you enable extended fonts you get full kana usage but then the built in games have missing kanji from the titles. If you leave it off then you get full kanji on the titles but all the kana doesnt work.

Raargh fucks sake

Robin64

Seems the missing font problem continues on the super famicom mini, if you enable extended fonts you get full kana usage but then the built in games have missing kanji from the titles. If you leave it off then you get full kanji on the titles but all the kana doesnt work.

Raargh fucks sake

Have you posted this as an issue?

Is the CRT filter that the SNESC uses the same as the one implemented in the NESC? Or different?

Has anyone managed to port the NES filter to the SNES? I like that one better just because it reminds me more of the shit I played on when I was younger.

Guys I was wondering if there's a PSD for custom borders? so I can make some.

edit: Is there a way to convert my *.SRM save files to *.CLVS? I want to play my backup on the Mini.

edit 2: dammit I meant PSD not PDF

orborborb

Is the CRT filter that the SNESC uses the same as the one implemented in the NESC? Or different?

the NES classic CRT filter has composite signal artifacting, the SNES classic filter is more like an RGB or S-Video signal, and neither replicates subpixels, bloom, or phosphor decay

Robin64

not a member of github so i can't post the issue, the only work around i can see for the moment is to hide the built in games then reload the roms and convert the titles to kana only with no kanji in them.

Alright I've posted it, lets see if it gets fixed.

the NES classic CRT filter has composite signal artifacting, the SNES classic filter is more like an RGB or S-Video signal, and neither replicates subpixels, bloom, or phosphor decay

That's what I thought. Thank you.

Has anyone managed to port the NES filter to the SNES? I like that one better just because it reminds me more of the shit I played on when I was younger.

poodaddy

That’s crazy - does it still c8 if you power off from the SNES front end?

(Also, how much space does that take?)

I played just like a lilevel or two of Final Fight 3 and X-men and they both worked for me on the native emulator

They aren't for everyone, no doubt.

No issues with Final Fight 2/3, but haven't tested those others personally.

Thanks a lot to all of you. I'm super stoked to play X Men Mutant Apocalypse again, and as for Final Fight 2 and 3, well....I don't own them physically, but I do own them, well at least I do digitally on Wii U. My question is, am I screwed? How would one go about getting those roms off my Wii U harddrive? I'm all set on the rest of them, though it's a bummer that Marvel Super Heroes has some type of flickering issue. Not a big deal though, the game ended up surprisingly bad considering how amazing Mutant Apocalypse is and the fact that they run on the same engine, but eh, shit happens.

Thanks a lot to all of you. I'm super stoked to play X Men Mutant Apocalypse again, and as for Final Fight 2 and 3, well....I don't own them physically, but I do own them, well at least I do digitally on Wii U. My question is, am I screwed? How would one go about getting those roms off my Wii U harddrive? I'm all set on the rest of them, though it's a bummer that Marvel Super Heroes has some type of flickering issue. Not a big deal though, the game ended up surprisingly bad considering how amazing Mutant Apocalypse is and the fact that they run on the same engine, but eh, shit happens.

There's apparently a way to rip ROMs from Wii U VC but I haven't had a chance to really look into it. Definitely need Wii U homebrew to do it though.

So, any game recommendations for Super Famicom exclusives that don't have and don't need a translation?

(Asking this way because I went through the fan translations on Romhacking already)

This community never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks so much, I’m going to start putting these up.

Glad to be of service! To be fair, making these is addicting. :)

Looking at the images, how many sprites can fit at once on the screen? Do they eventually clutter up like the box thumbnails when you have too many games installed? And do they move when you’re moving around games, or do the front sprites always stay front and center?

They are the exact same as thumbnails, so they are indeed reordered when you reorder the games, and if you put too many in a single page, the ones furthest left and right will simply be offscreen. The kernel puts them as close together as possible without them overlapping, so the number of icons that you can fit depends on their size. Mine are a variable size, with a minimum of 40x40 and a maximum of 50x50.

Beautiful! Thank you so much!

Thanks, and you're welcome!

Robin64

How about these?
vHZEYRm.png

QZ6WXpD.png

The second sprite is actually 32 pixels wide (and 29 tall), so if you trim it it would be perfect for you!

Oh, I actually use that second sprite for the thumbnail already. What we mean is my 224 x 208 logo-less image.

It was a bit of a copout and I'd love a replacement, but art for Pilotwings consists of the word Pilotwings on a sky.

Top Bottom