• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

Gowans

Picked up in the Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos Thread.

Polygon changes the game by posting Advertorial (against it's ethics code) and deletes criticising comments.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/30/3575978/halo-4-avatar-costume-offered-free-from-u-k-pizza-huts

The first 'news' article on Polygon right now

Journalism

They are not alone

Oh fuck.

Reworded press release CONFIRMED.

Polygon:
i5B9GDqUf34jp.PNG

Videogamer.com
iy6n46eEwRbdR.PNG

EGMnow.com
ibs8I7OBa5y5IA.PNG

Three unrelated sites.

GAMES JOURNALISM YOU GUYS

First comments

rycYu.png

Glad to see other big site readers doing the BS calling.

Comments are back up now, along with the stance they took of why they deleted them.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/30/3575978/halo-4-avatar-costume-offered-free-from-u-k-pizza-huts

Zeliard

Our policies entirely permit placement of advertorial on Polygon. We will endeavor to clearly mark an advertisement or "infomercial" (videos, Flash animations, etc.) shown on Polygon as news. We will also endeavor to censor reader comments criticizing ethical breaches.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
One of their staff is trying to justify it. Ugh. I do not want to give them page views anymore.

Lol JABEE's comment is gone.

Curufinwe

Chris Grant says just don't read it if you don't like it.

Christopher Grant

Advertorial would mean we're being paid to put this here – instead, this was an article vetted by the team as something of interest to readers. Like Nipah says, it's a story. Don't like it, read another one.

Yami

I wouldn't have minded the post so much if the author decided to inject some personality, flavour and even a teeeeeny little bit of flair into it. It's like they really could not be bothered. Instead, it just reads like a load of inane-PR-babble. Do this, do that.

As much as they get a lot of derision, the personality factor is why I love Gawker. Not Kotaku though.

Sethos

Banned
I laughed in the other thread over how bad the site is but what makes this site so special? It has received so much attention, look like shitty gaming site #3058

Is anyone surprised really?

Didn't last long all told. Though truth be told many could rightfully say they never started since the Microsoft money for the documentary.

Margalis

Banned
I hate defend Polygon in any way but this isn't really "advertorial." Advertorial is advertising meant to look like editorial - this is not meant to look like editorial.

Now...it is advertising meant to look like news. I think the right name for that is "games journalism."

ultron87

This is shitty.

However, an advertorial means being paid to put something up that appears to be objective content. Since this is just reporting a fact it really isn't that. So technically their ethics code is intact.

Eighthours

From the Wainwright thread:

LOL POLYGON:

Polygon said:
Please read our Community Guidelines here – we reserve every right to delete comments that aren't helpful or on-topic. If you want to criticize us, you're welcome to send us an email to feedback@polygon.com. If you want to make a new account – which all the detractors here have done – and come here to rile up negativity, we're going to stop you.
We're closing this thread for now and will reconsider opening it later.

Ironically, I think they need to employ a PR firm...

Q1YB3.png

And now they've locked the thread. Classy.

It's a pretty damn blatant violation of the ethics statement, and makes aforementioned statement redundant.

Top Bottom