• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

Margalis

Banned
Italian Ceramics With the LeWitt Touch
ArtWare Editions, a company that sells limited-edition functional artworks, has dinnerware and tiles designed by the artist Sol LeWitt and produced in the maiolica workshops of rural Italy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/g...s-sol-lewitt-italian-ceramics.html?ref=garden

This is in the Home and Garden Goods Section, which is presumably something you would be reading specifically to find out about H&G goods.

It is pretty lame, I agree, but it's not pitched as straight news.

If you guys would just post about how delicious Pizza Hut pizza is, I'm sure they wouldn't be deleting your comments. I don't see the problem.

Annndd......we are down to one comment:

Positivity only guys, please.

Yeah, their comment cracks me up. The way I read it is: "If you have anything negative or critical about our site, please email us so nobody else will ever see it. We can then decide what to do about it, privately, and leave you wondering whether we ever read your comments/email at all. If you post suggestions, negativity, or critical statements of us in a comment section we will delete it, delete all other comments, close down commenting all together, then stand by our 'code of ethics.' We are Polygon, the future of Gaming Journalism started 3 days ago! Thank You"

see5harp

If you think it's just because of the press release, you need to read the entire thread.

You posted as much in the Weekend Confirmed thread. You just said that they were good until this morning when the post went up. So all of the sudden everything they say in under question because they've used press releases within their blog centric news section?

Pizza_Hut-logo-026A692CEA-seeklogo.com.gif

Good lord... Pizza Hut® is killing it around here today.

First I see the TMNT Pizza Hut® thread, now there is this Pizza Hut® situation and games journalism.

Pizza Hut®.

pizza_hut_logo-old.gif

Excitement leads to bias which leads to shoddy journalism. I can't trust the professional opinion of someone who is already so deeply in love with the game from the outset. It's a simple enough concept to grasp really.

Really? I'm really surprised people are still so hung up on that stupid gif.

It's quite obviously a tongue in cheek video based on the arrival of one of 2011's biggest games.

Lord forbid that a games writer is excited about a highly anticipated title, he should act strictly bored at all times and show little emotion relating to a hobby he's passionate about. The fact that he WANTED to play the game obviously rings alarm bells - maybe reviews should be done by random members of the public, that way we'll get a truly objective opinion.

Zeliard

sure, but but it would at least be rationally (not morally or ethically) understandable, as they would actually be reimbursed for they behavior, rather than just be used.

They are being used in marketing ploys - and worse yet - they don't even realize it, having deceived themselves into thinking they are doing something proper and good. Shawn Elliott hit the nail on the head in the other thread.

They are actually oblivious to the notion of impropriety and outright reject the possibility, which makes it even tougher to get them to have any introspection on the matter.

Instead of considering "how does this appear? does it come across that we are actually endorsing this press release in some fashion?", they do the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling.

ultron87

And this is where we find ourselves. Do we have to carry on with business as usual or can we try to take some of the leverage back from PR?

Is it asking too much for gaming news outlets who pay journalists to write stores to do some actual work?

There would literally be no news if they didn't report on press releases and other things provided by companies. That is how you find out about stuff in entertainment news. There is no other source, besides the occasional leak, to get the story from "honestly" and there isn't "actual work" they could be doing that would let us know about the games coming out.

And they are doing "actual work" apart from that in there long feature articles and whatnot. But even those, when they apply to soon to be coming out games, are going to be mostly sourced from and approved by a company.

Should they do their best to not just copy and paste press releases? Yes. Should they post every inconsequential press release (like this one)? Of course not, but what is relevant to their audience is up to each site to decide.

Italian Ceramics With the LeWitt Touch
ArtWare Editions, a company that sells limited-edition functional artworks, has dinnerware and tiles designed by the artist Sol LeWitt and produced in the maiolica workshops of rural Italy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/g...s-sol-lewitt-italian-ceramics.html?ref=garden
I see this article posted in the appropriate section, not in the news section. Gamasutra puts all the press releases together intact, I think that's much better than publishing them as news in the news section of your site. But if you don't see a problem I can't help you help yourself.

ThusZarathustra said:
sure, but but it would at least be rationally (not morally or ethically) understandable, as they would actually be reimbursed for they behavior, rather than just be used.
Exactly. Thats what I find sad about it.

There would literally be no news if they didn't report on press releases and other things provided by companies. That is how you find out about stuff in entertainment news. There is no other source, besides the occasional leak, to get the story from "honestly" and there isn't "actual work" they could be doing that would let us know about the games coming out.

And they are doing "actual work" apart from that in there long feature articles and whatnot. But even those, when they apply to soon to be coming out games, are going to be mostly sourced from and approved by a company.

Should they do their best to not just copy and paste press releases? Yes. Should they post every inconsequential press release (like this one)? Of course not, but what is relevant to their audience is up to each site to decide.

No, it should also be partially up the readers to decide whether or not they want to sold fast food ads and junk food ads as "news." That is why allowing them to discuss it on their site is so important.

To edit my previous statement, I'm actually ok with using press releases for news since yeah, a lot of information is released that way. What I don't like is advertisements/promotions disguised as news.

i cant keep up with these journalism threads, so this may have been said, but what gaf and the community is doing is sorta like actual journalism, unlike what the "journalists" are doing. gaffers have found links between some of the people reporting on this story and the companies they are supposedly reporting on, found comments that put the lie to claims made by editors about their publications, and generally calling people to account for their actions. that is what journalists do. its pretty impressive to me; crowd sourced journalism or whatever this is.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, it took them less than a week since their launch to show the world that they're exactly the same as almost every other gaming site, completely in the pocket of PR. At least it's not like it happened in the middle of a big scandal due to that very reason, right?

ultron87

No, it should also be partially up the readers to decide whether or not they want to sold fast food ads and junk food ads as "news." That is why allowing them to discuss it on their site is so important.

Right. Very true. The comment deleting is quite terrible.

Because of recent scandals involving eurogamer and pr people disguised as games journalists caught with their pants down and their hands in the honey pot, gaffers put on their tinfoil hats and readied their pitchforks. Polygon, an up and coming news organization dedicated to change the game of games reporting runs a 'story' about a pizza hut promotion for halo 4 in the UK, almost verbatim from the original press release.

People comment about it in a civil way but the moderation team deems the discussion unnecessary, censors the comments and closes the thread.

All is fine and dandy until you consider that this is the same editorial team that didn't consider 'newsworthy' the eurogamer scandal but the friggen pizza hut promotion is, very similar to the stephen totilo unboxing fiasco. They will argue that their sites are not about games journalism and in that regard they're partially right, their sites are more about tortilla chips and sweet colored water.

No big deal, only that all that hyperbolic spiel about changing the game? Yeah, no one eats that shit.

Holy shit...really?!

Wow.

Satchel

Banned
Can I ask why everyone is so upset?

Do you guys really have nothing better to talk about? I see adverstories on all sorts of websites. It's not Ike they're harming your free reading of any given site.

Isn't this just basically announcing a DLC promotion? I see these stories literally everywhere on various game sites.

Sounds like you guys are just whining purely for the sake of it.

EXGN

I see this article posted in the appropriate section, not in the news section. Gamasutra puts all the press releases together intact, I think that's much better than publishing them as news in the news section of your site. But if you don't see a problem I can't help you help yourself.

So if the NYT posted the Pizza Hut deal under a Games section, that would be OK?

I agree though, even if you passed the Pizza Hut shit off as news, it's still a lame news story that shouldn't have been "reported" in the first place.

They are being used in marketing ploys - and worse yet - they don't even realize it, having deceived themselves into thinking they are doing something proper and good. Shawn Elliott hit the nail on the head in the other thread.

They are actually oblivious to the notion of impropriety and outright reject the possibility, which makes it even tougher to get them to have any introspection on the matter.

Instead of considering "how does this appear? does it come across that we are actually endorsing this press release in some fashion?", they do the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling.

It's 100% Stockholm Syndrome. They wouldn't know professionalism if they saw it.

Do you guys really have nothing better to talk about? I see adverstories on all sorts of websites. It's not Ike they're harming your free reading of any given site.

Isn't this just basically announcing a DLC promotion? I see these stories literally everywhere on various game sites.

might be a stretch, but perhaps you should read a few pages of this thread for the cheesy, crunchy details (and possible inspiration for some Pizza Hut®)?

After months of promoting their new brand, after months of proclaiming the second coming of GAMEZ JERNALIZMS, after months of asking for a 'chance' to prove that they are different, that they aren't like every other press release regurgitator, Polygon has proven that they are exactly like everyone else, except for a prettier, newer layout.

The moment when Polygon publishes ALL the PR pieces sent to them I will shut the fuck up, for then I will have seen their true nature.

Because apparently Polygon are the biggest enemy in games media today..

Not necessarily sure why, because people were keen on insulting them even before the documentary/site launch.

Ok, it's lazy journalism and the comment thing is silly, but I'm not sure that or the PR copy/paste warrants so much anger.

PaulLFC

You could try reading the thread and perhaps you'd get your answer. Hint: comments.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
If we all subscribed to every publishers' press release we could cut out the middle man and render gaming sites redundant.

It is so easy to "report" on this kind of stuff. It is much harder to create original articles and dig a bit deeper. I thought the reason sites have numerous staff is to fill in the gaps while other people are working on stories. Then when those stories post the other guys are busy working on theirs. Keep the stories and original articles always coming so even on slow days you don't have to resort to posting press releases and advertorial.

I would love to read a site that addresses more of gamings positives, negatives and great critiquing of our industry vs. the usual pr copy and paste and unabashed advertising that goes on. Every preview still reads like a advertisement, chock full of uplifting and positive charm, and then the games come out and they blow. How was this not seen earlier? The preview builds were awesome and the review copy suddenly was different?

Top Bottom