• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Looking forward to Confidence Man's next update
3AQmK.gif

I would edit particles down and maybe lower interior shadow distance. Maybe edit the resolution. By chance, did you copy the entire ini from the creator and just delete your old one?

Yes I have. I just reverted to the default ini just because I was having trouble getting the savegame to load. I'll try and gradually add some of the options of the custom ini creator to not let it screw up everything.

That is pretty nice. I'm about 10 levels from mastering smiting so I will be able to get that one there soon.

I don't like the style of the Dragon Bone armour at all, it's too... primitive compared to the rest of the armours.

I suppose it must be difficult to create armour out of bone and I guess they were going for some sort of authenticity, but I just think it looks really cruddy.

I love the look of that Crafting 300 mod, wow that looks great! Wonder if it will work in simultanious with Tyantis... I would doubt it most likely right?

I love his thoughts about non racifying the weapons and stuff.

Considering this thread has just come around, and I'm bored, I feel like putting together a huge Mod List, the mods I would recommend and why - I'm sorry if they are repeated, but meh... it'll be a long list :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yes I have. I just reverted to the default ini just because I was having trouble getting the savegame to load. I'll try and gradually add some of the options of the custom ini creator to not let it screw up everything.

Step by step. I know it's annoying but this way you get a little more familiar with specific settings in the ini.

I am making a new section for the Deadly Dragons one. I ran out of space in the last thread.

HooYaH

Any point to still list 4GB patcher?

EDIT: I see you just took it off. Maybe you should have a section for ENB presets.

LiquidMetal14

Any point to still list 4GB patcher?

EDIT: I see you just took it off. Maybe you should have a section for ENB presets.

I may make a dedicated post for that. Don't want it taking up too much space. I don't use ENB so it's hard for me to really comment on it. If folks want to post their
"guides" or own results, I wouldn't oppose.

Karak

Anyone successfully use Tyantis?
So many bug reports. Is it worth the attempt.? The comments are filled with problems, like 60% of the comments, but I keep seeing it pop up on lists for peeps here and in other threads. Are players just living with the issues for now?

I dont have that directory.

My interface directory just have a spanish file in there. So i don't know where to put the new controler mappings.

Any ideas?

Wow that mod isolation feature is mod organizer sounds awesome, you can keep a completely vanilla game directory, and it virtualizes the data directory that the game engine sees, so when (and yes its WHEN) you finally hose your game with mods and have to reinstall, you dont, because the original install is untouched.

amazing, wonder how long till nexus mod manager takes it.

Karak

Wow that mod isolation feature is mod organizer sounds awesome, you can keep a completely vanilla game directory, and it virtualizes the data directory that the game engine sees, so when (and yes its WHEN) you finally hose your game with mods and have to reinstall, you dont, because the original install is untouched.

ya I do not use either but I did read about that and it almost made me take the plunge. That is a damn good feature. Really excellent.

I use Mod Organiser. I was a little sad about not having proper Nexus integration for a while for auto updating, but then I realised... I don't want my mods to auto update, I enjoy doing it myself and therefore MO is perfect for me.

The fact that my directory and files are virtually vanilla, apart from SKSE, ScriptDragon and ENB, it is very easy to recover from a 'screw up' and not have to worry about having to delete and re-copy files.

Usually for me, if I screw something up, I just re-check the game cache through steam, it re-sets the game to default and I plunge in with MO again and all of my mods are there.

Though - it's kind of amazing to feel how far my game has come from Ultra Stock, I should be able to do a load of the game without any mods so once I've got it working perfectly I'll do a collection of before and after screenshots - with all mods disabled, textures everything and we'll see the difference it has all made.

Will be interesting that's for sure!

Here are some well made mods that aren't as well known as... well, other mods.

3rd Person Animation Tweak - Run Forward with Bow
A must for all the archers out there. Without it the sprint animation looks ridiculous with your right hand flailing around like it had no bones.

Alchemy and Enchanting table retex
Just what it says. The best retexture of the enchanting table out there, in my opinion.

Female Underwear Retex
Simple retex that changes the female underwear into a more "natural" color.

Finer Dust
Makes the dust particles in dungeons look smaller, nicer, better. I didn't realize how ugly the vanilla dust particles were before I took some comparison shots myself.

Subliminal Traps
Makes the traps in dungeons blend in better, making them harder to spot. Best used in conjunction with Deadly Traps and Sickly Diseases

Horse Fast Dismount
Tired of watching that slow animation where you get off your horse, all the while having 5 mudcrabs nibbling at your legs? This mod rectifies that by removing the animation altogether. It even looks cooler.

Descaled Uniques
Instead of having your Daedric artifact just as bad as that iron sword you encountered 30 hours earlier, this gives you the strongest version of the unique weapons in the game. Always. You shouldn't be punished for doing quests early level.

r1chard

Some mods I'm using for a more immersive game play style (basically removing all the floating markers showing me exactly where I need to go, or showing places I've not visited which I feel removes some of the fun of wandering around and exploring; and avoiding using the automagic in-game map):

Immersive UI
Removes the compass from the UI unless triggered by selected events. Additionally the markers on the compass may be removed entirely. Similarly the crosshair may be removed until triggered. Video of mod version 1.0 and improvements in 1.1

Equipable Skyrim Map
Similar to other games like Minecraft this gives you a map to hold in your hand. Look down to look at the map. It's not perfect but it's a good start.

Descaled Uniques
Instead of having your Daedric artifact just as bad as that iron sword you encountered 30 hours earlier, this gives you the strongest version of the unique weapons in the game. Always. You shouldn't be punished for doing quests early level.

What happens if you install this after already having received some of the uniques? Does it upgrade them, or is it only a "going forward" issue?

EDIT: Checked the mod info and it doesn't work if you've already received the item. Still this is cool, thanks for sharing.

Here are some well made mods that aren't as well known as... well, other mods.

3rd Person Animation Tweak - Run Forward with Bow
A must for all the archers out there. Without it the sprint animation looks ridiculous with your right hand flailing around like it had no bones.

Alchemy and Enchanting table retex
Just what it says. The best retexture of the enchanting table out there, in my opinion.

Female Underwear Retex
Simple retex that changes the female underwear into a more "natural" color.

Finer Dust
Makes the dust particles in dungeons look smaller, nicer, better. I didn't realize how ugly the vanilla dust particles were before I took some comparison shots myself.

Subliminal Traps
Makes the traps in dungeons blend in better, making them harder to spot. Best used in conjunction with Deadly Traps and Sickly Diseases

Horse Fast Dismount
Tired of watching that slow animation where you get off your horse, all the while having 5 mudcrabs nibbling at your legs? This mod rectifies that by removing the animation altogether. It even looks cooler.

Descaled Uniques

Good list!

LiquidMetal14

After i posted that i went ahead and tried withouth any mod managers and it works.

The mod is good. Biggest problemwith it, is that the author opted to use the "press and hold" the thumbstick to run, not a good decision. Because its too ackward and because it fucks up the controller faster.

You sure about that? Mine is still mapped to LB. For the record, I did it the same way you did. It's not installed through the NMM.

I'm sifting through that list a few posts back too. Thanks!

And Confident ENB - A realistic ENB Profile. ENB with Confidence, man!

Dmax3901

So I'm thinking of trying out ENB. I'm at the website, do I download something from there and then download Confidence Man's preset?

LiquidMetal14

Erethian

Skyboost doesn't supposedly break scripting like TESAL does, does it? I'm still sorta in the first couple hours of the game / kinda-sorta-wanna do the main quest occasionally so does either of those break scripting anymore?

Neither TESV Acceleration Layer or SkyBoost cause scripting errors, that was fixed ages ago. But SkyBoost is the one being improved to provide more performance gains, so using it is preferable.

LiquidMetal14

High Resolution Books

Book of Console

For all you mages out there

Deadly Spell Impacts- added disclaimer in the OP

A simple UI based tweak.

Re-weighed Potions

Separate

The Great Book of Alchemy

Unlimited Rings

In the OP now.

And if I don't like it I just delete the files, it won't ruin any saves or anything like that?

Yes.

Look good in towns and stuff but when you are in an open field the saturation is ridiculous IMO. Yellow and red.

It all comes down to preference and whether I can run it. I appreciate the effort and added it to the OP to make a section for such things and to spread his work around.

Jtrizzy

So what all do we know about the Creation Kit? Is this something that will simplify using mods? I have no experience with mods, so I'm a little intimidated by the process. At the same time, I'd love to get that boost in performance.

LiquidMetal14

So what all do we know about the Creation Kit? Is this something that will simplify using mods? I have no experience with mods, so I'm a little intimidated by the process. At the same time, I'd love to get that boost in performance.

From talking briefly with a dev, you won't know until closer to release. Expect big things out of it though :)

Made a high-res retex of the Nightingale Armor a while ago, it's not a "stretch the original texture to a bigger size and sharpen" job, my brother and I actually recreated the textures from scratch. If you wanna check it out and put it on the main page under the Armor section, here's the link:

Nightingale Hi-res Retex with Torn Scarf and Variants

Does anyone know if there's any animation replacers for magic users yet? Specifically, the goofy looking run when they have spells out on both hands. Looks dumb as fuck.

LiquidMetal14

Made a high-res retex of the Nightingale Armor a while ago, it's not a "stretch the original texture to a bigger size and sharpen" job, my brother and I actually recreated the textures from scratch. If you wanna check it out and put it on the main page under the Armor section, here's the link:

Nightingale Hi-res Retex with Torn Scarf and Variants

Does anyone know if there's any animation replacers for magic users yet? Specifically, the goofy looking run when they have spells out on both hands. Looks dumb as fuck.

Adding. Nice work!

Did he really? Let me read up on that. I have it installed and it mainly affects the look of rain. The ripples look nice either way
Yep, isoku added it in 1.4 or something, I think.

This, perhaps? It's sprinting only, so not sure if it is what you're looking for.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=404

Don't let the file number of 404 fool you.

RedSwirl

Okay, thus far I've been avoiding mods that alter the game's balance, but I'm about to install the merchant mods that make them all rich and make them all deal in all goods. Has this made the game necessarily easy for anyone?

LiquidMetal14

Okay, thus far I've been avoiding mods that alter the game's balance, but I'm about to install the merchant mods that make them all rich and make them all deal in all goods. Has this made the game necessarily easy for anyone?

If you can, just install them for them to be rich. I would consider higher values more of a cheat. If it comes in an all in 1 package then you have no choice I guess.

Yep, isoku added it in 1.4 or something, I think.
I see. The rain mod is really good for more than just the ripples. I got the alt file with "fatter" rain and kept isoku's mod of course.

LiquidMetal14

Might be worth mentioning in the OP graphics drivers to increase performance.

Nvidia 290.53 beta drivers increase performance by 25% - http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/12/give-skyrim-a-boost-with-new-geforce-r290-drivers/

There's also the tweaking guide - http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/optimize-your-skyrim-experience

I left those in the performance thread so it wouldn't cloud this one too much. Wanted this one strictly to be mod and mod performance/tips solely. I have both of those linked in the link that it's in the OP though.

Jtrizzy

From talking briefly with a dev, you won't know until closer to release. Expect big things out of it though :)

I'm all over the hype train for this game...I just got a new receiver yesterday, the uncompressed sound adds so much immersion, I explored for about 3 hours without doing a single mission lol. Now I just need a simple and easy way to add mods.

BTW, how do you recharge the energy in a staff? I picked up a powerful one early on, but it only has about one blast.

Top Bottom