• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

For all those getting kicked from lobbies, are you watching what games you're entering? For some reason the default is "Any Difficulty", which leads to lots of newcomers ending up in Silver and Gold lobbies. And if you get kicked, it's nothing personal... I'm 98% positive it's because you accidentally entered a difficulty you're not prepared for yet.

I will never kick a Level 1 anything in bronze lobbies but I *will* immediately kick low level characters in Silver/Gold lobbies. The exceptions would be low level characters with high level N7 levels (for example, a Level 5 with an N7 level in the 50's).

So for all new players when they enter lobbies... immediately check the top bar to see what difficulty level the host set it at. If it's silver or gold, please leave and set your search to Bronze.

This. Nobody wants to be a dick, but nobody wants to waste their time with level 3 characters trying gold. When people can barely beat silver with level 15's and up, having a lobby with two level 1 characters isn't cool. You'll get kicked, and I never kick people in lobbies in any game. So, that's that. Make sure your difficulty is appropriated to bronze.

Ken

Sweet. Got the Black Widow, but still no Turian Sentinel. :(

Edit: And Turian Sentinel gotten. :D

Boo, his voice is kind of lame. :(

creid

Is the Turian Sentinel worth leveling? Warp and Overload seem like good debuffs to throw on Banshees and stuff, going by their description.

I unlocked it with my starter pack and have been using it ever since. I think I'm up to level 17 or 18 now. Chain Overload fully leveled is great, and it's insanely powerful against the Geth. I haven't fully leveled Warp, but I'm sure it will be good when I do. Avoid Tech Armor, it's worthless. Overall, I find the Turian Sentinel to be a really solid character. Probably not on the level of the Human Vanguard or Asari Adept, but not too far off.
I've been doing the same, but I keep Tech Armor on all the time. Can't say how helpful it's been though, as it's hard to compare the damage I'd be taking without it.

I'm finding that overload is helpful against shielded characters as it seems to immediately runs down the shield. Against Geth footsoldiers all it really does is freeze them in place, which I don't find that helpful. Seems Turians can't roll, so I'm having a heck of a time getting away from grenades without freaking out.

Is there any way a Sentinel can easily deal with a character holding a shield? As an Engineer I'd use my turret, but I'm not finding any of the Sentinel's powers to be helpful here. Discharging the Tech Armor does get them to flinch a bit, but not long enough for me to shoot them.
Can't get mine to show up and I've re-downloaded the BF3 online pass twice. Is it PC only or is something wrong (PS3 version here)?
PC & 360 only, it seems.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Added. Thanks for the heads up.

Or Stasis bubble + Warp. Or Tactical Cloak + Energy Drain.

I've seen massive scores from Asari Adepts, Salarian Infiltrators and Human Vanguards. I've also seen terrible scores from similarly levelled versions of those. Point is, skill still matters even if you've got a "min/maxed" build.

What matches are you playing? Bronze usually has the biggest score disparities because of skill level. And Vanguards can dominate Bronze games because it's much safer.

Once you start playing in (legit) games of Silver and Gold, the skill levels are much closer to each other because of what's needed to succeed. And you'll also see Vanguards come back down to earth because they need to pick their spots more.

Always bronze. My team usually die at level 10. X (PS3) is overused : running, cover, jumping, reviving... My god Bioware, how could you fuck that much gameplay design ?

I could never revive teammates. I never get the icon right under fire and the pressure of being the last one standing

I've been doing the same, but I keep Tech Armor on all the time. Can't say how helpful it's been though, as it's hard to compare the damage I'd be taking without it.

I'm finding that overload is helpful against shielded characters as it seems to immediately runs down the shield. Against Geth footsoldiers all it really does is freeze them in place, which I don't find that helpful. Seems Turians can't roll, so I'm having a heck of a time getting away from grenades without freaking out.

FYI, your power usage slows by 80% when you have Tech Armor equipped. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I think Overload's ability to incapacitate enemies (including organics if you choose that upgrade) is one of it's best attributes. The enemies are just sitting ducks while incapacitated, and they can't fire back to harm you. I love it.

Is there any way a Sentinel can easily deal with a character holding a shield? As an Engineer I'd use my turret, but I'm not finding any of the Sentinel's powers to be helpful here. Discharging the Tech Armor does get them to flinch a bit, but not long enough for me to shoot them.

oh, pick me, pick me! I can answer this!

I'm rocking a Female Human Sentinel, and Throw will cause the shield guys to stumble, opening 1/2 their body to target. This only seems to happen 1/2 the time though, so it's either they have to be damaged enough already or it's how you level the Throw power, I dunno.

Hey Origin folks!

Remember to hit up the FIRST page of this topic to check people to add into your list! I can play multiplayer most evenings on EST, so just add Vanguard_Ike to your friends list.

Always bronze. My team usually die at level 10. X (PS3) is overused : running, cover, jumping, reviving... My god Bioware, how could you fuck that much gameplay design ?

I could never revive teammates. I never get the icon right under fire and the pressure of being the last one standing

Agreed, having one button for all those functions is absolutely asinine. I can't count how many times I've wanted to revive someone and I go under cover or roll.

this guy

I just unlocked the Asari Vanguard.... biotic charge AND stasis bubble? Is such a thing even legal? I'm sure there's some serious setback that I'm missing here.

I do still wish I had my Asari Adept back from the demo though. Long range sniping/Carnifex + bubble is my niche.

Also, I've been playing Cerberus/Geth on bronze to get my rank up so bitches wouldn't immediately kick me. From what I've played of reaper/husk stuff, it's much harder.

Anyone getting lots of server lag and EA server connection issues on the 360? I have a clean, stable internet connection right now and I can barely find a match, let alone play in it from the lag. Odd.

creid

FYI, your power usage slows by 80% when you have Tech Armor equipped. Not worth it, in my opinion.
I assume "power usage" means "cooldown time?" I haven't really had any complaints about my cooldown time. My memory isn't great so I might be getting confused with my single-player weapon loadout, but I might've mitigated the cooldown penalty by not carrying much weight.

I think Overload's ability to incapacitate enemies (including organics if you choose that upgrade) is one of it's best attributes. The enemies are just sitting ducks while incapacitated, and they can't fire back to harm you. I love it.
I guess my mistake has been using it on weak Geth, where the incapacitation isn't much of a help. I'll try saving it for the bigger guys.

oh, pick me, pick me! I can answer this!

I'm rocking a Female Human Sentinel, and Throw will cause the shield guys to stumble, opening 1/2 their body to target. This only seems to happen 1/2 the time though, so it's either they have to be damaged enough already or it's how you level the Throw power, I dunno.
Unfortunately Turian Sentinels can't use Throw, we get Overload instead.

Dave_6

Add me to the 360 list as I bought a copy for the 360 today. I'm already on the PS3 list but I don't think I'm going to be playing it any more.

GT is the same as my PSN: DaveS78

I assume "power usage" means "cooldown time?" I haven't really had any complaints about my cooldown time. My memory isn't great so I might be getting confused with my single-player weapon loadout, but I might've mitigated the cooldown penalty by not carrying much weight.

Yeah, I'm assuming it refers to cooldown time. I can't remember exactly how much it differs, as I've stopped using Tech Armor completely, but I might test it out later. I like carrying just one weapon, preferably a lighter one, to minimize my cooldown time as much as possible. Throwing out Overloads left and right does serious damage.

Ken

Yeah, I'm assuming it refers to cooldown time. I can't remember exactly how much it differs, as I've stopped using Tech Armor completely, but I might test it out later. I like carrying just one weapon, preferably a lighter one, to minimize my cooldown time as much as possible. Throwing out Overloads left and right does serious damage.
I've been running around with Warp, Overload, and the Black Widow sniper rifle. Didn't know about tech armors drawback; kept it on under the assumption that it was just a nice free bonus. Might try playing again without TA to see how fast my powers can come back up and then try it with a SMG. I get a -9% or -19% power penalty with the Black Widow and no secondary IIRC, so I'm curious how fast it will be with a lighter weapon.

Man, they seriously bumped up the difficulty. I was rolling with two of my buddies last night and we couldn't even beat Silver. In the demo, we wrecked through Gold like it was nothing.

We even tried just the classic Cerberus on Firebase White, but still couldn't beat it.

That said, I'm having a blast with this game. The Packs remind me of buying Pokemon Booster Packs as a kid. You just wish for that one awesome Rare item that you can show off to your friends.

Ken

Man, they seriously bumped up the difficulty. I was rolling with two of my buddies last night and we couldn't even beat Silver. In the demo, we wrecked through Gold like it was nothing.

We even tried just the classic Cerberus on Firebase White, but still couldn't beat it.

That said, I'm having a blast with this game. The Packs remind me of buying Pokemon Booster Packs as a kid. You just wish for that one awesome Rare item that you can show off to your friends.
What level are you in MP? I saw you online with your level 3x so I didn't want to join you with my low level.

Serious

Jeez, maybe it's different for 360/PS3, but again, I've never seen anyone kicked out of a bronze lobby.

I finally decided to really try out the Salarian Engineer I unlocked early on, and I'm really, really impressed. Decoy is fantastic. It's a much, much, MUCH bigger aggro magnet than Combat Drone ever was, and while it doesn't actually do any damage (even though I'm specced into the damage talents, they don't seem to be that useful against Geth so far), it takes a massive amount of punishment, even on Gold. I only wish I could place it more easily, the maximum range you can place it is quite limited. Still amazing, though. Between that and Energy Drain, I feel like I can throw out more bullets/powers safely. Only thing I really miss from the Human is the extra damage vs Barriers/Shields, which Overload has a noticeable edge on...but even still, Salarian is great.

What level are you in MP? I saw you online with your level 3x so I didn't want to join you with my low level.

I'm around 30, yeah. My highest level character is a level 18 Sentinel. I don't necessarily mind low levels as long as you're not getting downed constantly haha.

By the way, what's your gamertag again? I sometimes forget which Gaffers are on my friend's list lol.

Ken

I'm around 30, yeah. My highest level character is a level 18 Sentinel. I don't necessarily mind low levels as long as you're not getting downed constantly haha.

By the way, what's you're gamertag again? I sometimes forget which Gaffers are on my friend's list lol.
Chocopolka, but I'm playing on a new tag: CAPCPOM.

Jeez, maybe it's different for 360/PS3, but again, I've never seen anyone kicked out of a bronze lobby.

It happens on the 360. Not too often, but it can happen.

I had to kick out a bunch of players from a Silver game last night. We had three guys in the mid to upper teens, and then one guy in the low single digits. We kicked him out, only to have him replaced by another single digit guy. Rinse and repeat, we probably had to kick out 4 guys before we got a low double digit teammate that we went to battle with. I really wish the default search option was Bronze instead of Any.

Maybe it is because I don't take multiplayer games seriously, but I never kick anyone for being worse than me, better than me, under leveled, or over leveled. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I just like to play the game.

Maybe it is because I don't take multiplayer games seriously, but I never kick anyone for being worse than me, better than me, under leveled, or over leveled. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I just like to play the game.

You like to lose in the 4th round of a Silver game because your chucklehead single digit teammates are getting overrun by the enemy? Okay. To each his own, I guess.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I guess my mistake has been using it on weak Geth, where the incapacitation isn't much of a help. I'll try saving it for the bigger guys.

Unfortunately Turian Sentinels can't use Throw, we get Overload instead.

Overload is about a million times better than throw. Your problem is---I'm guessing---that you leave your tech armor on all the time. Stop doing this, it makes your cooldown way too long to get good use out of Overload. Overload can't be dodged and is instant, stunning multiple enemies instantly >>>> throwing a pull at one enemy and hoping he doesn't dodge, UNLESS it is a guardian. :)

Skill your overload for multiple targets, carry just a shotgun---geth plasma or maxed katana are my favorites---and leave your tech armor off most of the time. Take some cover, then start overloading everything that comes at you, shoot them with the shotgun when they're standing there yelling "don't taze me bro!".

You'll do really good vs. Cerberus and Geth and OK vs. Reavers.

There is a simple solution for people getting kicked from matches: Host your own. The #1 reason low levels are getting kicked is because they've got their filter set to "any difficulty" or whatever it is called and they're getting dumped into silver and gold. Host your own and nobody can kick you, or make sure you're searching for bronze matches and I doubt you'll get kicked(except if you don't have a microphone but I haven't seen to many people care).

Are you in bronze lobbies? In all the games I've played I've only seen players kicked from Bronze lobbies if they're AFK (regardless of what level they're at).

I'm just playing in whatever the defaults are. public, any map, any type, etc. i am not configuring anything. i'm just trying to quick match. maybe that's my mistake.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm just playing in whatever the defaults are. public, any map, any type, etc. i am not configuring anything. i'm just trying to quick match. maybe that's my mistake.

it is your mistake and the fix to that mistake has been posted about 25 times in this thread. :) Of course if Bioware had properly set the default to bronze this wouldn't be an issue.

creid

Overload is about a million times better than throw. Your problem is---I'm guessing---that you leave your tech armor on all the time. Stop doing this, it makes your cooldown way too long to get good use out of Overload. Overload can't be dodged and is instant, stunning multiple enemies instantly >>>> throwing a pull at one enemy and hoping he doesn't dodge, UNLESS it is a guardian. :)

Skill your overload for multiple targets, carry just a shotgun---geth plasma or maxed katana are my favorites---and leave your tech armor off most of the time. Take some cover, then start overloading everything that comes at you, shoot them with the shotgun when they're standing there yelling "don't taze me bro!".
I'm not sure that I *have* a problem.

I only have the default shotgun, and it's pretty awful even with the low-level mods I've attached. In addition, in my experience Overload does no damage to unshielded Geth. Not sure how it would help there.

There is a simple solution for people getting kicked from matches: Host your own.
Can't hosts get booted too?

Cat Party

All you have to do is change it to Bronze instead of Any Challenge. Then you'll probably be okay. I haven't played any games yet on Bronze where anyone even tried to boot a low level player.

My post just a few entries up:

For all those getting kicked from lobbies, are you watching what games you're entering? For some reason the default is "Any Difficulty", which leads to lots of newcomers ending up in Silver and Gold lobbies. And if you get kicked, it's nothing personal... I'm 98% positive it's because you accidentally entered a difficulty you're not prepared for yet.

I will never kick a Level 1 anything in bronze lobbies but I *will* immediately kick low level characters in Silver/Gold lobbies. The exceptions would be low level characters with high level N7 levels (for example, a Level 5 with an N7 level in the 50's).

So for all new players when they enter lobbies... immediately check the top bar to see what difficulty level the host set it at. If it's silver or gold, please leave and set your search to Bronze.

In addition, in my experience Overload does no damage to unshielded Geth.

Oh, it definitely damages unshielded Geth. I can rip through a group of Geth with Chain Overload (my Overload is maxed out, mind you, so it has some damage bonuses). When I'm carrying a pistol or SMG, I practically don't even bother using them, I just spam Overload as much as possible.

Ken

Is the new tag temporary? I think I have your old one on my FL
New tag is permanent. Some weird things happened with my old account that basically locked me out of having ownership of it, so I decided to just make a new tag. I'll send you a FR on my new one later today.

Mindlog

Asari Vanguard is the first class where I'm legitimately torn on two distinct upgrade paths.

A melee AV can keep up with a novaguard on bronze. However, a weapon focused AV will be preferable on gold.

Lift grenades are more useful to the class than shockwave to its human counterpart.

muu

Is the Armor/Shield on the character page bugged or is it just capped at 900/1200? I picked one of the health bonuses for the Krogan soldier bringing him to 1000/1350 or something like that, next time I went back to the screen it showed back up as 900/1200.

Very fun character to play, though. Not sure how effective it'd be on gold but most mobs get pummeled in one shot, phantoms were 2-hits on silver once I got in rage mode (2 kills). I think I gave a few people new to MP the wrong idea when I wandered into a bronze lobby and pretty much killed everything with my heavy melee charge.

Alright, this is getting really annoying. So, I'm playing on my Engineer, when suddenly all my abilities stop doing any damage whatsoever. My combat drone doesn;t even spawn. Shooting enemies doesn't do any damage. I can't revive either. It only goes away when a new wave starts. This happened to me 3 times already :S

Asari Vanguard is the first class where I'm legitimately torn on two distinct upgrade paths.

A melee AV can keep up with a novaguard on bronze. However, a weapon focused AV will be preferable on gold.

Lift grenades are more useful to the class than shockwave to its human counterpart.

Yeah that's interesting, I saw that as well. I haven't unlocked it yet, but I would probably go weapon-focus. The grenade resupply on Gold is so slow that you'd have to throw at most 1 grenade per wave if you want to have 3 by the time waves 10/extraction roll around.

Also, Stasis bubble is incredible and gives the Asari more versatility than the human, but what weakens it a bit is that both key skills share the same cooldown. Nova/Charge are so strong because each skill basically powers the other.

New tag is permanent. Some weird things happened with my old account that basically locked me out of having ownership of it, so I decided to just make a new tag. I'll send you a FR on my new one later today.

Mee tooo. I need some Gaffers to play this with.

syko de4d

yeahe....

i got a complete reset on my items, all weapons, mods, medi packs etc. are gone.
After a normal game i got the message with the free Starter Packs and bäm all gone :/

edit: unlocked chars are gone too :(

X-Frame

So are most people just going for Spectre boxes?

I've tried seeing how lucky I could be with mostly Veteran with a couple Recruit boxes sprinkled in and really have not unlocked very much.

Top Bottom