• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Sonic game do you want next from Christian Whitehead?

What should Christian Whitehead work on?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kickz

CIIMqI7.jpg

Davey Cakes

Get the Taxman, Felipe (the guy behind Spark: The Electric Jester), and GalaxyTrail (the team behind Freedom Planet) together and give them the rights to Jazz Jackrabbit.

jcjimher

I'm in the boat of the necessary S3&K remaster.

Sega should publicly acknowledge the legal problems with some of the tracks, ask Tee Lopes to compose some replacements for them (he has shown he masters 16-bit music too), and make them canon from now on.

It would be painful to let the old tracks go, for sure, but I think the community would accept the new ones, coming from Lopes himself (and his rightfully earned prestige with Mania).

TheSun

You [ultra awesome individuals] couldn't help yourselves with putting up Sonic smut, God dammit.

Anyways, before I go, I gonna say Knuckles Chaotix...mania?

Gbraga

For some insane reason I read the title as "What Sonic Mania can learn from Crysis Warhead", and already clicked the thread laughing.

I wish that was the title.

I don't care, I will buy it if it's got taxman at the helm.

I'm 6 zones in on mania and in a couple of hours, this game has earnt him more goodwill than twenty years of sonic team floundering about, that's for sure.

VDenter

Banned
Just keep making great 2D games. Maybe make a 3D game if it will have 3-4 year development time and a clear vision.

Do not ever go back to the Adventure formula. It was a broken foundation that influenced way to many crappy Sonic games.

Kinsei

Banned
Mania 2. I honestly thought I was done with remixed stages but after playing Mania I'd love to see what can be done with more oldies like Hill Top, Wacky Workbench, Labyrinth Zone, and so on.

Ports of Sonic 1 & 2 for consoles
Finally getting round to Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Mania 2 with remixed stages and new stages.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Demake
Sonic the Hedgehog 5 (with all new stages)
All of the above, in this order:

Bring the 1 and 2 remakes to PC.
Release S3K, including PC.
Demake Sonic 4 into an acceptable game, and then auto-replace it like the 1 and 2 remakes replaced the original emulated versions on mobile.
Release Sonic 5. Mania style but with all new levels and no remixes.
Release Mania 2, maybe.
Adventure 3.

Xalechim01

Neo Member
I don't think all of these complaints about re-used zones in Mania are fair. The team did an amazing job with "remixing" these levels and they provided great throwback. If anything it made me actually wish this was something Nintendo would do with the 2D Super Mario Bros. series more often.

groansey

Why would you waste their time remastering the old games, when they could be making a whole new game!?

I think Sonic Mania 2 is likely, and I think they'll continue to mix the old and new.

But we need (and they deserve to make) Sonic 5.

As far as remixed zones go I think the 8-bit Sonic games might need some more love...or were they are rose tinted glasses of gimmick stages?

How about a Chaotix sequel??
In some respects Chaotix might have been the first got to go uncontrollably fast and hold right to win Sonic game...if it started Sonic, the levels were not 50 miles high and it had any bottomless pits at all (no seriously Chaotix has hardly any hazards in stages plus it takes two hits in a short time to die when at 0 rings).

But Sonic Mania managed to take some despised level mechanics and make them enjoyable. I suppose having the rubber band mechanic only used in moderation for puzzle segments and boss battles would be how you could make it work.

Toxi

Banned
I don't think all of these complaints about re-used zones in Mania are fair. The team did an amazing job with "remixing" these levels and they provided great throwback. If anything it made me actually wish this was something Nintendo would do with the 2D Super Mario Bros. series more often.
Isn't that like 90% of New Super Mario Bros levels though? Mario constantly reuses the same environmental themes from game to game. There's the green grass and blue skies with Goombas and Koopas to start off the game. There's the castles with lava pits, flame wheels, and climbable grates. There's the giant airship with bullet bills and a Koopaling at the end. There's the ocean-based swimming section with Cheep Cheeps and Bloopers. There's the sky levels on top of giant mushrooms with hanging platforms on cables. There's the haunted house with Boos and door puzzles.

If anything, I'd like to see less reuse of the same environmental themes in Mario. How would a "Mario Mania" that remixes old level themes be any different from every other 2D Mario of the last couple decades?

Remixed levels need to stay.

LordKasual

Banned

How's it unfair?

Sonic 2 remixed no stages from Sonic 1

Sonic 3 remixed no stages from Sonic 2

Sonic & Knuckles remixed no stages from Sonic 3

I think there was like, what, ONE remix total out of Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3 to the genesis games (Sunset Hill)? And that barely even counts because it wasn't Green Hill Zone. It just remixed the music.

In Sonic Mania there are, what, 3 fully original acts throughout the entire game? And that's even if you can fully count Mirage Saloon because that stage is obviously designed in the likeness of Dust Hill Zone. That's not to say that the remixed acts were bad, obviously they were still great. But if I want to play any of those remixed stages....i'll just play the game they came from. It's a totally different feeling.

It's one of those things that only really feel fully awesome to you if you are deeply nostalgic about these old Sonic games. But someone like me who's played them to death over the years...it really does nothing for me to play through the same melodies and graphics over and over again.

It doesn't make it bad, but it does just kind of make it feel hollow.

Give me Sonic 1.
Give me Sonic 2.
Give me Sonic CD.
Give me Sonic 3 & Knuckles (compose some new music tracks if you have to).
Give me Sonic Mania 2.

All on Switch/PS4/XB1.

PLEASE. Thanks.

Caelus

How's it unfair?

Sonic 2 remixed no stages from Sonic 1

Sonic 3 remixed no stages from Sonic 2

Sonic & Knuckles remixed no stages from Sonic 3

...weird argument, those games weren't celebrating the anniversary of Sonic or the return of classic 2D Sonic decades later, they were just the sequels. Even then, Emerald Hill is a call back to Green Hill. I am disappointed that they reused Green Hill in Mania, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the remixed stages they have.

In Sonic Mania there are, what, 3 fully original acts throughout the entire game? And that's even if you can fully count Mirage Saloon because that stage is obviously designed in the likeness of Dust Hill Zone. That's not to say that the remixed acts were bad, obviously they were still great. But if I want to play any of those remixed stages....i'll just play the game they came from. It's a totally different feeling.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't count Mirage Saloon considering Dust Hill wasn't playable in the first place. I think the remixed tracks and the widescreen + HD + new animation frames make these zones significantly more different to play from their original counterparts, but I am speaking for myself.

devonodev

Sonic Collection. 1,2,3&K,CD all using the new engine, released for all consoles. Change the music in 3&K if needed.

The dream.

To reflect the game's popularity in the Russian market, they should include some new russian themed characters in the next game.

Some russian themed stages. Tetris mini game etc.

Griss

Really enjoyed Mania but the next game would have to push the gameplay forward rather than being another homage to the old-school 2d Sonics.

I wouldn't mind seeing his take on Sonic Advance.

Baleoce

Honestly, I reckon it'll either be Mania DLC, or Mania 2. There's a reason they kind of gave it a reset. I think there's more 2D stuff to come.

Top Bottom