• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

AerialAir

Banned
What should I expect with a mac and these specs?

Quad-core i7 2760QM 2.4Ghz
1 GB Radeon HD 6770M
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I'm new to the Dolphin (and emulation overall) scene and downloaded what I assume is the latest version of Dolphin and tried to run Trauma Team, though I'm having terrible performance just on the title screen:
Captura_de_ecra_2017_07_11_a_s_00_13_44.png

Hey, I'm replaying Xenoblade Chronicles on dolphin and I get a random freeze which last half a second and is really annoying. It happens whenever a big effect goes on on screen, like a big light coming out of a sword attack or something similar. (Using Dolphin last branch)

Weird thing is, this didn't happen at all the last time I played this game on dolphin like 2 years ago, in fact it worked perfectly back then, with HD texture pack too.

My setup:
r9 390 8gb
I5 4690K
8gb ram
250gb ssd

The only thing different is that back then I used to have a gtx 970, could that be the problem?

Hey, I'm replaying Xenoblade Chronicles on dolphin and I get a random freeze which last half a second and is really annoying. It happens whenever a big effect goes on on screen, like a big light coming out of a sword attack or something similar.

Weird thing is, this didn't happen at all the last time I played this game on dolphin like 2 years ago, in fact it worked perfectly back then, with HD texture pack too.

My setup:
r9 390 8gb
I5 4690K
8gb ram
250gb ssd

The only thing different is that back then I used to have a gtx 970, could that be the problem?
Try using either the ishiiruka branch with async shaders enabled or the new ubershaders build a few posts up with with hybrid mode enabled.

Drake

Question: I want to install the developer build because it fixes an issue with Virtual Console games not saving properly. I currently have the base 5.0 build installed. How do I install the developer version over the 5.0 version? Do I just copy and replace all the files in the Dolphin folder?

PGamer

fucking juniors
Question: I want to install the developer build because it fixes an issue with Virtual Console games not saving properly. I currently have the base 5.0 build installed. How do I install the developer version over the 5.0 version? Do I just copy and replace all the files in the Dolphin folder?

No, don't replace anything. Just download the development build and run it.

jediyoshi

Will try it, thanks!

Those things wouldn't help with your standard performance, only the edge cases when it needs to generate shaders. In the case of the ubershaders build, it's more likely to decrease performance atm.

Yes

linko9

Just got a new GPU; Nvidia GTX 950, a big upgrade from my old card (which died). PC games run much better now! However a number of games have hitches when playing in Dolphin. Never had these problems with my old ATI card, which was much worse. It's not that the framerate will drop, the game will just display the same frame for like... a second or maybe a bit less every once in a while. Happened in Metroid Prime (GC), F-zero GX, and Xenoblade, but no problems with Galaxy 1 or DKC returns. Any idea if there's some way to address this issue? Lowering settings does not fix the problem.

DonMigs85

Just got a new GPU; Nvidia GTX 950, a big upgrade from my old card (which died). PC games run much better now! However a number of games have hitches when playing in Dolphin. Never had these problems with my old ATI card, which was much worse. It's not that the framerate will drop, the game will just display the same frame for like... a second or maybe a bit less every once in a while. Happened in Metroid Prime (GC), F-zero GX, and Xenoblade, but no problems with Galaxy 1 or DKC returns. Any idea if there's some way to address this issue? Lowering settings does not fix the problem.
It's probably due to shader compilation. What processor do you have? And did you get that GPU new? A 1050 or 1050 Ti would've been a better buy.

linko9

It's probably due to shader compilation. What processor do you have? And did you get that GPU new? A 1050 or 1050 Ti would've been a better buy.

I did get it new, $90. Needed something with analog output for emulating old systems on my CRT. Processor is i5-2500K

edit: tested a few more games, no problems with sunshine or wind waker. Ran GX again, and there were a lot few hiccups than the first time. Mainly occurred with lots of racers onscreen. I think this probably is a CPU issue, it's just with my old card it responded by dropping a few frames, which I didn't notice, as opposed to my new one. Also I should note Metroid Prime was a version modded for widescreen support, and I do remember getting a bit of slowdown with that on my old card in some areas.

edit2: yeah definitely the CPU. Monitored them both, and at the times hiccups were happening, the CPU was running at or beyond it's "maximum speed," whereas the GPU never went above 25% usage.

Seik

Banned
So I wanted to play some Dolphin goodness and it seems that many of the LEDs on my DolphinBar are dead, just checked with my phone's camera and the right side seems to be entirely dead while the left side has like 2 working.

I think I left it plugged back then when I bought it and that is the problem, should've unplugged it when it wasn't used.

I just contacted Mayflash to see if they can sell me replacement LEDs, I could replace those myself, that is if they agree.

Brhoom

Banned
So I wanted to play some Dolphin goodness and it seems that many of the LEDs on my DolphinBar are dead, just checked with my phone's camera and the right side seems to be entirely dead while the left side has like 2 working.

I think I left it plugged back then when I bought it and that is the problem, should've unplugged it when it wasn't used.

I just contacted Mayflash to see if they can sell me replacement LEDs, I could replace those myself, that is if they agree.

That was the tipping point for me to just play on original hardware.

Zushin

It's OK but the Nintendo one is better. It has much more accurate deadzones.
Both have a small amount of latency. Nintendo one supports rumble correctly too.

Ah ok. Might have to invest in one. Just starting to get into emulation so getting more accurate controls sounds good.

shockdude

How is the Mayflash GC adapter for PC?
I've done a direct comparison of both adapters. The Mayflash adapter has noticeably higher input lag, even in Wii U mode.
Get the Nintendo adapter if at all possible, though the Mayflash adapter isn't the end of the world.

Zushin

Having said that, Mayflash isn't half bad, but I can't see much reason to get one now that the official ones are well stocked.

I've done a direct comparison of both adapters. The Mayflash adapter has noticeably higher input lag, even in Wii U mode.
Get the Nintendo adapter if at all possible, though the Mayflash adapter isn't the end of the world.

Thanks. Annoyingly, it isn't stocked much in Australia. Have to get for about $80 AUD from ebay.

Theonik

There is lag with every adaptor as well as with native controllers on USB for that matter. Official Nintendo adapter is better than many third parties in that regard. You won't notice. Probably.

TSM

Ubershaders are finally here. This is a huge improvement over async shaders for those using for those using Ishiiruka. Shader compilation stutter has finally been solved. Be sure to read the article for recommended settings for your setup. Exclusive ubershader mode looks to need a very high end card to reach even 3x IR.

You can enable ubershaders by going into the graphics settings and selecting the enhancements tab.

shockdude

Ubershaders are finally here. This is a huge improvement over async shaders for those using for those using Ishiiruka. Shader compilation stutter has finally been solved. Be sure to read the article for recommended settings for your setup. Exclusive ubershader mode looks to need a very high end card to reach even 3x IR.

You can enable ubershaders by going into the graphics settings and selecting the enhancements tab.
Oh nice. Gonna have to see how well it works on a GTX 860M.

KHlover

Banned

Holy shit. Time to DL and test how my GTX980 fares.

wetalo

Man, I'm not home right now, but I'm curious if I should go hybrid or exclusive for my computer. I've got an i7 6700k and a GTX 770. The GPU is kind of older. I guess I can just give them each a shot and see which I prefer.

Man, I'm not home right now, but I'm curious if I should go hybrid or exclusive for my computer. I've got an i7 6700k and a GTX 770. The GPU is kind of older. I guess I can just give them each a shot and see which I prefer.

Probably going to depend on your internal resolution. Honestly, I'd recommend using hybrid as default and only relying on exclusive if you're getting issues. Just like you'd normally not use interpreter over JIT unless you're having an issue for speed reasons.

jediyoshi

Good on them for actually embedding video rather than gifs.

hlhbk

Has it gotten better than a few weeks ago? Ubershaders did nothing to completely smooth out Metroid Prime Trilogy like async shaders did. Can anyone confirm this has been fixed?

shockdude

Oh nice. Gonna have to see how well it works on a GTX 860M.
There's a minute-long ubershader compilation with the first run, which is pretty acceptable considering that there's no recompilation in subsequent runs and the Mario Kart Wii starting line is no longer a minute-long stutterfest. Awesome. Using the same settings I've used on previous builds (3x IR, 2/4x AA depending on game, per-pixel lighting) and not noticing any performance penalty, though I haven't tried any games that actually push my laptop like Mario Galaxy.

Can they go all out reverse engineering once the GameCube and Wii's patents expire? Probably still a long way off

You are mixing up three things.

Software copyrights for BIOS and individual games take a hell of a time to expire right now. These can also cover hardware source code which usually doesn't show up... But in case of Wii there was that rumour of CPU source code leak, or was it Wii U? I imagine Dolphin devs avoid that like dev kit docs.

Technical patents specifically describe technology solutions so that reverse engineering these from nothing is not required. The details not described in patents are not protected. Protection is understood to not apply to emulators because patented mechanism needs a purpose which emulator tends to miss (efficient hardware implementation), but as usual there aren't many precedents.

Then there's some separate thing like fab rights, that's kinda like copyright for chips but different. It doesn't cover disassembly I think, it covers copying. So a clone chip that went through clean room design would be absolutely immune to that but not patents. This doesn't affect emulators at all.

canocha

There's a minute-long ubershader compilation with the first run, which is pretty acceptable considering that there's no recompilation in subsequent runs and the Mario Kart Wii starting line is no longer a minute-long stutterfest. Awesome. Using the same settings I've used on previous builds (3x IR, 2/4x AA depending on game, per-pixel lighting) and not noticing any performance penalty, though I haven't tried any games that actually push my laptop like Mario Galaxy.

Per-pixel lighting works with ubershaders now?

shockdude

Ubershaders got me back into playing with Dolphin. As a result, I took on a small project that I'd been meaning to do for a while.

Dolphin's input lag compared to a real Wii

TL;DR ~1 frame of video lag, ~2 frames of audio lag on my laptop vs Wii.
Numbers will probably vary depending on PC setup, controller/input method, etc.

DJ Hero is fun, but was really difficult to play on Dolphin due to input & audio lag. I ended up playing most of the game on a real Wii.

A while back I established that my TV had ~15ms of input lag and my soundbar had ~60ms. I used Rock Band's calibration tool (which is fantastic and better than DJ Hero's) to get calibration numbers for my Wii & TV (45ms AV sync, -65ms input lag). I then got the same numbers with Dolphin & my laptop (15ms AV sync, -65ms input lag). Putting all the numbers together results in Dolphin having a native 15ms input lag and 30ms audio lag, which is about 1 frame and 2 frames of lag respectively.

Plugged these numbers into DJ Hero and they worked great. DJ Hero in 1080p with headphones is fantastic.

Windows 10
GTX 860M
DirectX 11 backend
Borderless Fullscreen, no VSync (My laptop seems to force its own VSync on Borderless Fullscreen games, and it has very low input lag compared to Exclusive Fullscreen + VSync)
Cubeb audio backend
TimingVariance = 17 (Dolphin.ini setting which controls audio latency in ms, default is 40)
Real Wii Remote with Emulated Bluetooth adapter (Bluetooth passthrough is unstable on my laptop)

Top Bottom