• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•10-12•17 - Thor's ur Daddy, races past Orient Express

xaosslug

2sRcSK2.jpg
Uywv24I.jpg
PDA2U6q.jpg
1KXlqhP.jpg
ezIXxc4.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
93% Thor: Ragnarok
eptv7.gif
16% Daddy's Home 2
8mB0Q.gif
58% Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
3Pj0x.gif
29% A Bad Moms Christmas
5f4ew.gif
32% Jigsaw

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Thor: Ragnarok' Thunders to $56.6 Million Second Weekend

Showing plenty of staying power, Disney-Marvel's ”Thor: Ragnarok" is dominating the North American box office with $56.6 million at 4,080 locations in its second weekend.

The figure give the third Thor movie the 29th highest second weekend of all time and the fifth best of 2017. It also took in nearly the combined total of the two new titles — Paramount's family comedy ”Daddy's Home 2," with $30 million from 3,575 sites and Fox's mystery ”Murder on the Orient Express" with $28.2 million at 3,341 venues.

”Thor: Ragnarok," starring Chris Hemsworth and directed by Taika Waititi, declined 54% from its $122.7 million opening last weekend and is already the ninth highest domestic grosser of 2017 with $211.6 million in its first 10 days. It's also been a stellar international performer with $438 million in less than three weeks — topping $650 million worldwide.On Nov. 8, ”Thor: Ragnarok" became the 12th consecutive Marvel Cinematic Universe film to top $500 million worldwide.

The movie has reversed a box office slump that persisted through October and left 2017's overall domestic moviegoing down 5% from last year at $9.14 billion as of Sunday. With Warner Bros.' ”Justice League" opening next weekend and ”Star Wars: The Last Jedi" launching on Dec. 15, the industry is now poised to end the year on an upbeat note. The overall weekend totaled about $148 million, down 6% from the same frame in 2016, according to comScore.

”Daddy's Home 2" is performing at the high end of recent forecasts and is finishing about 23% below the original's $38.7 million opening in 2015. Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell reprise their roles as fathers co-parenting the children of Wahlberg's character who struggle to cope when their fathers, played by Mel Gibson and John Lithgow, arrive during the holiday season.
”Murder on the Orient Express" has also launched above expectations. Kenneth Branagh stars as detective Hercule Poirot in the latest adaptation of Agatha Christie's story of a murder mystery on a luxury train in the 1930s. The cast has plenty of star power with Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Michelle Pfeiffer, Penelope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, ”Hamilton's" Leslie Odom Jr., and ”Star Wars: The Force Awakens" actress Daisy Ridley.

STXfilms' ”A Bad Moms Christmas" finished fourth with $11.5 million at 3,615 locations in its second weekend, showing decent holding power with a decline of only 31%. The film has grossed nearly $40 million in its first 12 days.

A24's expansion of Greta Gerwig's ”Lady Bird" cracked the top 10 with $1.2 million on 37 screens for an impressive $33,776 per screen average. The comedy-drama posted the best 2017 platform opening last weekend with $364,437 at four sites.

Fox Searchlight's platform release of ”Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri," starring Frances McDormand and Woody Harrelson, opened with a strong $320,000 at four locations. McDormand plays a small town mother taking on the local police force after her daughter's rape and murder goes uninvestigated for several months.

More to come

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

natjjohn

Thor dominating again with ease.

Just happened to see Geostorm's budget. Can’t believe that budget got approved!

tkscz

Kills me that the Foreigner bombed. But Thor is about to get competition come this Friday, wonder how it'll do against Justice League consider how much it's dropped already.

t-storm

Just happened to see Geostorm's budget. Can’t believe that budget got approved!
Generic bland doomsday movie with forgettable cast, these types have a history of performing sub par, not sure what the studio’s expectations were.

Kimawolf

Generic bland doomsday movie with forgettable cast, these types have a history of performing sub par, not sure what the studio’s expectations were.

They were looking at that 2012, San Andreas money. Generally big disaster movies do well, but I think yeah it was defnitely Gerard Butler who was the main cause.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Releasing Bad Moms Christmas midweek before Thor seems to have worked out for them. How in the world did Daddy's Home 2 cost that much? Must've been those paychecks.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What’s next in terms of big releases?

Coco?

That’ll probably be my next film in the theatres.

Justice League and then Coco. Although Coco is already open in some markets. It did REALLY well in Mexico, lots of good buzz too.

Jigolo

Justice League and then Coco. Although Coco is already open in some markets. It did REALLY well in Mexico, lots of good buzz too.

I'm excited to see this one more than anything else for the remainder of the month. Looks like 4 movies left to watch this month for me

Murder on the Orient Express
Justice League
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Coco

Grizzlyjin

I'm excited to see this one more than anything else for the remainder of the month. Looks like 4 movies left to watch this month for me

Justice League
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Coco

Those are all on my list too. Heard a couple reviews say Murder was good, but would be an okay video rental. So if I miss that, I'll definitely catch it on digital. I'm itching to support it now since we don't get too many straight up mystery films.

kunonabi

Justice League
Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Coco

Just Roman for me. Although my dad might drag me to JL.

firelogic

Ah yes, JL.

I'll probably skip that in theatres...

*blinks*

The early impressions are interesting. Those who think it's mostly Snyder hate it. Those who think it's mostly Whedon love it. Then there are those who aren't sure who's movie it is hedging their bets saying, "it's ok. has good parts. has bad parts."

Grizzlyjin

The early impressions are interesting. Those who think it's mostly Snyder hate it. Those who think it's mostly Whedon love it. Then there are those who aren't sure who's movie it is hedging their bets saying, "it's ok. has good parts. has bad parts."

Yeah, even the early impressions that I've seen that are positive keep circling around "Fun but with a really thin story." Coming out in the same vicinity of Thor, I'm not expecting the reviews to be kind. I don't know, smells like a bunch of people wanting to like something so much that they attach a bunch of qualifiers to their impressions in case its a stinker ala every fucking comic book movie haha

Jezan

It was a really nice move to have Coco released in Mexico just before Day of the Dead. I would say more but won't since I don't wanna risk spoilers :)

Anyone has the chart to know how Thor compares to other MCU?

Grizzlyjin

gatti-man

These numbers for JL are world ending bad. Recast Batman and get rid of Snyder. I just wonder if the damage has been done. WW, Aquaman, and the Flash I really enjoyed and it made me feel good about the future of DC but man I wonder if the execs just blow the whole thing up minus WW after this.

quickwhips

Here is what I would do.

reboot
make batman really dark for first movie with riddler as the villain (make it sorta like a saw movie/escape room movie)

make superman just fun epic movie not dark at all just show how damn powerful he is

llien

Haven't seen any of the movies, but stats look... peculiar:

Thor
critics (RT): 92% (7.5/10)
public: 86% (4.3/5)

Justice League
critics (RT): 40% (5.3/10)

So... sup?

Grizzlyjin

Haven't seen any of the movies, but stats look... peculiar:

Thor
critics (RT): 92% (7.5/10)

Justice League
critics (RT): 40% (5.3/10)

So... sup?

There really isn't a point at looking at the audience scores for movies like this. Their fanbases inflate them so "their side" can win. Also, it's kinda like cinemascores. Almost everything is an B+ to an A. You only really see heavy deviation when the audience was misled about the movie, where they'll give it an F. I mean, pretty sure Suicide Squad got a B+ Cinemascore, same as Justice League.

I keep seeing people mentioning the overblown hate for Justice League but I haven't seen it. Look at the average critic score. It's in the 5s...the definition of an average movie, which is what a lot of people around here have been saying. Folks just get bogged down with the RT score.

Top Bottom