• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

Ra1den

I pretty much hate randomly designed levels. Is there any way I would enjoy Terraria? I do love spelunking and treasure hunting in general.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Game looks pretty awesome I love space opera stuff, so I'm in; reminds me, I should really get around to playing Terraria for more than a hour.:/

dLMN8R

Any mod want to update the title to clarify it's only the artist from Terraria?

Anyway, lots of cool info coming from their boards:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/list-of-announced-game-information.450/

Check out this chat transcript from yesterday where Tiy talks about lots of stuff:
[13:56] <WarStalkeR> Tiy, will you add to Starbound Fog of War?
[13:56] <@Tiy> fog of war?
[13:56] <@Tiy> no
[13:56] <@Tiy> doesn't fit the game in my opinion
[13:57] <@Tiy> For those interested in what we're working on right now
[13:58] <@Tiy> We're working on a special method of NPC/Enemy implementation. Traditionally in these kinds of games, each enemy is hard coded. You write a bunch of code and that makes up the enemy. Whilst this is fine, it leaves enemy creation somewhat inaccessible, to other team members on a development team and to modders.
[13:59] <@Tiy> We came up with an entirely different system. Instead of programming each monster individually, we're programming behaviours and states. A behaviour might be.. chase a player, run away from a player, fly, shoot at player, and so on.
[13:59] <@Tiy> A state, might be "take damage" "block damage" "cause damage" and so on
[14:00] <@Tiy> the interesting part, is that we're making it very easy to apply behaviours and states to a new enemy.
[14:00] <@Tiy> The process works something like this:
[14:00] <@Tiy> Step 1, Draw a sprite sheet, including all the behaviours you want an enemy to have. For example, if you have an enemy that punches players, and has a big forcefield that it can put up to deflect damage. Draw all those frames. I'm sure you've seen spritesheets before.
[14:01] <@Tiy> Step 2, write a config file for the enemy. I won't go into a truck load of detail about what's in there, because there are a LOT of things you can configure. However the interesting part is picking states and applying them to the sprite sheet.
[14:01] <@Tiy> So
[14:02] <@Tiy> For example, lets say you have 3 animated frames on the sprite sheet where the monster has a force field up? you would simply draw hitboxes on those frames, and assign that hitbox to "block damage".
[14:02] <@Tiy> And it's done, the enemy will now use those frames when it wants to blockdamage
[14:02] <@Tiy> The config files let you decide when the monster will try to block damage, maybe when you shoot at it, maybe every X seconds, etc
[14:03] <@Tiy> and somewhere down the line, when/if we open up modding
[14:03] <@Tiy> you guys will be able to make new enemies, just as quickly
[14:03] <Benguin> Are the behaviours going to be chosen when a monster is generated?
[14:03] <@Tiy> If a monster has multiple behaviours, yes
[14:04] <@Tiy> obviously if it's a monster thats only got one defined behaviour, then no
[14:05] <Walross|Read> So will we ba able to mod epic pets?
[14:06] <@Tiy> Walross|Read, most enemies can be captured as pets
[14:06] <@Tiy> and "capturable" will be a config option
[14:06] <@Tiy> so yes
[14:06] <EliseBambi> :3 my question tiy? <3 Will planets end up theme-ing?
[14:06] <@Tiy> EliseBambi, planets will make sense
[14:06] <EliseBambi> will the more dangerous ones tend to be things like, acid or fire planets,
[14:07] <EliseBambi> with tons and tons of evil monstars?
[14:07] <@Tiy> higher level planets will be more dangerous
[14:09] <JermEx> Will that user created content also fit into the procedural generation?
[14:10] <@Tiy> JermEx, I suppose so
[14:10] <@Tiy> we're focusing on completing a great game before we work on modding
[14:10] <@Tiy> but
[14:10] <@Tiy> all of this should make modding super easy for everyone
[14:10] <WarStalkeR> Wait, wait, wait... But what about behaviour? Agressive, Passive, Cautious?

[14:10] <@Tiy> yes you can define them as passive etc
[14:10] <EliseBambi> Oh, at some point, Tiy, do you think there will be a system for piplining user created content into the game itself? Maybe a system by which players can play with player created content, and vote it up or down, and after a certain threshold it gets passed to you guys for review, and if it is spiffy, just gets piped into the game?
[14:11] <@Tiy> EliseBambi, it's an interesting idea, but there are alllllllllllll sorts of legal issues involved
[14:12] <EliseBambi> Think about... and I always hate to talk about other games when speaking of features,
[14:12] <EliseBambi> but, spore, the content pipe on that was awesome.
[14:12] <@Tiy> EliseBambi
[14:13] <@Tiy> its very very different
[14:13] <@Tiy> because
[14:13] <@Tiy> in spore, you creat content WITHIN spore
[14:13] <@Tiy> so you can require people to agree to legal to use it
[14:13] <@Tiy> but with traditional PC modding youll be using what.. photoshop? notepad? etc
[14:13] <@Tiy> anything you create, legally you own
[14:14] <@Tiy> its possible that we could set up a system and have people agree to something before submitting their work? maybe?
[14:14] <@Tiy> i dont know
[14:14] <@Tiy> What I would really like to do (no promises)
[14:14] <@Tiy> is to have servers automatically transfer mod content to the client
[14:15] <@Tiy> so people can host mods on their server
[14:15] <@Tiy> and people can just join and play with them
[14:15] <JermEx> doesn't MC do that?
[14:15] <@Tiy> but none of these things are trivial to implement
[14:15] <Vargus> bukkit and stuff
[14:15] <@Tiy> bukkit is a different thing entirely
[14:15] <@Tiy> because it doesnt transfer content
[14:15] <@Tiy> all it does is change the server
[14:16] <EliseBambi> When things aren't part of a the vanilla game, rifts start to appear in the community. e_e
[14:16] <@Tiy> EliseBambi, yeah I can agree with that
[14:16] <@Tiy> but you guys are right also
[14:16] <@Tiy> a game shouldnt require mods to be a good game
[14:16] <@Tiy> and starbound wont
[14:20] <EliseBambi> Oh, OH. Tiy. So there was a mechanic in this game, for increasing your life and energy
[14:20] <EliseBambi> that I hated, with a passion
[14:20] <EliseBambi> that involved gathering stars and heart pieces.
[14:20] <EliseBambi> Is something /other/ than that planned, or being looked at, or, idk, something?
[14:21] <EliseBambi> Will it mostly be gear based?
[14:21] <EliseBambi> Or will there be character development in any form?
[14:21] <@Tiy> it wont be like the example above
[14:22] <Zolon-Phone> I would love health increases in the form of researched topics, followed by manufactured increases to a limit until you have to research the next set, Tiy. Thoughts?
[14:22] <@Tiy> there are a million ways you could implement health boosting
[14:22] <@Tiy> ill make sure we choose a good one
[14:26] <ciacho152> Tiy: can you refer to xp matter ? or whole progressing char ?
[14:26] <@Tiy> we have our own system
[14:26] <@Tiy> that doesnt involve XP
[14:28] <EliseBambi> Tiy; Achievement (not arbitrary "DO THIS" but, things that are actual things which everyone wants to achieve; errecting their first factory, euthanizing their first species, destablizing their first ecosystem, unlocking their first space-station facility, etc)
[14:29] <@Tiy> no
[14:29] <@Tiy> thats not our method
[14:29] <@Tiy> :p
[14:29] <WarStalkeR> Tiy, another question... Will be there possibility to destroy entire planet?
[14:30] <@Tiy> maybe

phrozehn

Neo Member
great. my pc chair cushion is already squashed flat from playing too much terraria. better head to officeworks ahead of time for this one :p

Retro

Between this and Guild Wars 2, I may not buy another game again. Sounds like they're making it ultra easy for users to generate content.

Raxum

Between this and Guild Wars 2, I may not buy another game again. Sounds like they're making it ultra easy for users to generate content.

Agreed entirely, I spent too much time in terraria, if this proves to be better it might take my time away from GW2... Depending on when they release and such...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I stopped playing Terraria because one of the features they planned to create were npc players who would work against you while working towards the same goals as the player.

The enemy player npc would be put on the map and have to scavenge in order to build, research and create. They had some other cool ideas about enemy players that sounded ridiculously fun.

I thought those would be an interesting dynamic which would increase replayability tremendously. So I decided to wait until those features were implemented before picking up the game again.

I really hope they choose to include this feature into SB. Imo it was the best of the ideas they had which went unused by Terraria.

I hope this game uses a game pad this time. I realize that it isn't designed with a gamepad in mind but my mind just can't process. a 2d scroller with a mouse and keyboard.

Blizzard

Banned
I hadn't even heard about this. I never really got around to playing Terraria, but I like that the sprites in this don't look quite so Final Fantasy-ish.

kagete

Is the scientist with the robotic arm/strapon a playable character or research/shop type NPC? She seems to have walking animations in the gif.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I just want tonnes of NPCs and concrete info on multiplayer. I know that they want multiplayer and they are fiddling with servers, but I don't want to jump through hoops to play online with friends & family.

Raxum

I just want tonnes of NPCs and concrete info on multiplayer. I know that they want multiplayer and they are fiddling with servers, but I don't want to jump through hoops to play online with friends & family.

I'd like a gameplay video or two, if they have any mechanics ready now. I'm really interested in this game, and hopefully they sort out the multi-player a bit better, though I managed to use VPNs to great effect in minecraft and terraria, so I'm quite happy to deal with that again as I already have some VPNs sorted out.

Understandable for most people not wanting to use VPNs though, but Hamachi or Evolve are good choices for creating VPNs to play these kinds of games on.

dLMN8R

Huge image, click to enlarge, open in new tab for full size:
screen1.png

@Tiyuri Does this mean we get to play as ape people?
@Luminaflare yup

More updates: http://playstarbound.com/

Kyren&#8216;s been hard at work putting the finishing touches on object integration and tweaking the netcode; it&#8217;s now at a point that online play is very very smooth and seamless. Net play has been in for a while, but it wasn&#8217;t featured in the last update because we wanted it to be more about the fantastic lighting she did.

Among making various assets, Tiy&#8216;s actually been working more on the code side of things &#8211; defining and inputting assets, setting to work on putting as many finished things as possible into the game for testing.

Omni is specifically working on creatures; defining their AI and behaviours and recently got flying creatures working. Flying creatures were a problem because we have winged creatures, which have to move a specific way to look right. The solution we came up with for winged creatures in particular is pretty ingenious, maybe we&#8217;ll be able to show it to you in a future update!

George has gotten lots of random armors done, along with some creatures and object work to keep things varied. The random armors in particular are a very hard and lengthy process, so great job George!

Legris the Tree Master is focusing mainly on the biome side of things &#8211; parallax, plant and tree (big surprise!) production. Right now he&#8217;s concepting a system for dynamic trees, which could mean trees being much more varied.

Lastly, I (Rho) have been working mostly on creature production, inparticular on the contest winners, as well as various other things. Congratulations, by the way!

Retro

Nobody saw the news update? This really is looking a lot like Terraria on Speed in Space.

Edit: Heh, DLMN8R and I both posted the exact same info at almost the exact same time.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Playing as Monkey is going to be unreal.

My partner wanted to play a bit of Terraria yesterday but I told her to stave it off for Starbound. Needs to come out sooner rather than later hnnngghh.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This game looks wonderful. I loved Terraria, so I'm really hyped for this one.

I just showed this thread to my wife, and she's just as pumped. She sunk a ton of hours into Terraria before she moved on to other stuff.

I think it's that sense of discovery and exploration that draws us to games like this. Starbound most definitely sounds like the kinds of games I used to dream up back in the 80's, but never thought they would be possible (on the NES. lol).

These guys already have my money!

So, this sounds freaking amazing!!! I CAN'T WAIT!

When you claim a planet as your new homeworld, a whole new aspect of gameplay opens up. Everything that makes a planet unique is at your command. Feel like changing the weather? Build a weather centre! Don’t like the terrain? Terraform it! Every aspect of the planet is under your control. Once you’re happy with it, start populating it with characters you’ve met in your travels and take care of them! They’ll have needs and desires and won’t hesitate to ask for your help if they require assistance.

I really hope they expand on this as much as possible. Give us more sim/city building options, make it endlessly replayable, I'll freaking lose my mind.

Retro

New video of the Forest Biome;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kXWeUc_e8c&hd=1

Showing off a range of forests that can be generated with just a small selection of the art that will be present in the finished game. Forests will also include "mini biomes" in the final version, which include things like fields of flowers, lakes, etc to further increase variation.

All of this footage takes place on one terrain type, but forests are capable of appearing over a wide range.

This is just ONE biome

Trees are created on the fly and the engine can control their height, the foliage used, colours, trunk type, movement in the wind, seeds dropped, etc

The music is from the Starbound soundtrack, produced by Curtis.
Video recorded and edited by Stephen

Water demo soon!

Valnen

I don't buy games from developers that drop support.

Well, that's not the case 100% of the time, but for a Minecraft style game it's unacceptable to discontinue updates.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Well, that's not the case 100% of the time, but for a Minecraft style game it's unacceptable to discontinue updates.

But... the Starbound developers havent even released their first game yet...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

Ignoring the fact that this is not the same team, what you're saying is that if they released this as a standalone expansion to Terraria (because it's so much new stuff that the limits of the engine itself had to be rewritten from the ground up) you would have no problem with it?

I really fail to see how Terraria is an incomplete package, or how this is anything but the best means of expanding the dream that Terraria started, especially considering the fact it is a new team with the full blessing/cooperation of those not moving onto it from the Terraria team.

I also fail to see how your argument is anything but a pathetic cover for whining that you aren't going to get this for free.

dLMN8R

Are you fucking kidding me? The game cost $10 and easily quadrupled in content from the day it was released.

Fuck anyone who thinks they deserve even more.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Are you fucking kidding me? The game cost $10 and easily quadrupled in content from the day it was released.

Fuck anyone who thinks they deserve even more.
Not to mention the five times it was 50% off and four times it was 75% off.

Edit: I would also argue that anyone who has played it enough to know anything about it realizes it's more like a Castlevania game with Minecraft elements. Starbound looks to carry it into the cooperative explorer-action realms even more.

dLMN8R

I actually didn't play Terraria once until the final patch was released. So when I started playing, I had absolutely no context of what was there since day 1, vs. what was added in that last patch.

30+ hours later, it's one of the best games I've ever played, and one of the best values I've ever seen. To feel like I deserved more is incomprehensible to me. I didn't encounter a single game-breaking bug (or...well.....any bugs at all), and I barely got to Hardmode and explored that so far.

More recently, I went through and browsed the patch notes - I was flabbergasted at how much the game grew since it's release. Things that I took for granted during my 30+ hours weren't even there until weeks before I started playing. Hardmode didn't even exist until 6+ months after release?? Insanity how well they supported the game!

Then I read that one guy on the team had a baby, another guy decided to take a well-deserved vacation, and the third joined Chucklefish to start Starbound.

How the hell can any reasonable person see malice or disservice in any of that? What on earth makes you think you deserve more? Are those 3 guys doomed to work on Terraria for the rest of their lives to serve your $10 purchase? Or possibly $2.50 purchase? What the fuck would it take??

Top Bottom