• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Bgamer90

Banned
The thing is, HW requires SW to be hyped up. X1X's big marketing problem is that it has the power & appearance of being a new console generation, except its not in the department where it matters the most - Software.

You must mean exclusive wise considering it's getting many major titles. This though kind of goes against the fact that the top selling games that helped the PS4 and Xbox One sell in 2013/2014 were multiplats with most being on last gen too -- not exclusives. They still caused hype since people wanted the graphical leap after such a long generation. Sports titles, Destiny, COD, Battlefield, etc. all helped sell Xbox One/PS4 more than exclusives during that period -- especially considering there weren't that many heavy hitting exclusives during that time anyway.

It's August. I'm sure Microsoft will start pumping more Xbox One X ads after pre-orders are set up as things get closer to the launch of the console.

I don't think the Xbox One X is going to do well after the Holiday season unless it has a price drop regardless of if it had more games that weren't available on other platforms. There's simply other significantly (50% off in price or close to it) boxes that are still getting solid game support. The system having (say) 2-3 more AAA games that aren't on PS4 and Switch to go alongside its launch wouldn't have changed sales much in my opinion. The Xbox One X was still going to be mainly attractive to the hardcore gamer that regularly plays on Xbox either way.

gafneo

Banned
The weird thing is with the bare exclusives Xbox had, they canceled Scalebound & now they are left with only Crackdown as their next big $60 release. MS is mostly banking on Indy & free 2 play this gen. That's cool & all, but no one is going to need a power house console that plays mostly Vita games.

statham

The weird thing is with the bare exclusives Xbox had, they canceled Scalebound & now they are left with only Crackdown as their next big $60 release. MS is mostly banking on Indy & free 2 play this gen. That's cool & all, but no one is going to need a power house console that plays mostly Vita games.
Every 3rd party will play best on X, 3rd party are the best sellers. Its like the ps4 launch.

The PlayStation fans are 'just; a little hypocritical on this matter. I can remember none of this talk with the original PS, when SEGA had far more In-House studios more exclusives and most of the best PS game were all on the PC and run and looked better.

Then the PC didn't come into it, never mind Tomb Raider 1,3 looked and run better on the PC it was all about the PS having the best console versions of the 'said' game, it was the Saturn didn't have it or it looked worse on the system. Well, really that's what MS needs to with the One X. Have the best looking and sounding versions of the 3rd party games, that's their best bet and hope the One X becomes the lead platform for development as a result.

Rymuth

The PlayStation fans are 'just; a little hypocritical on this matter. I can remember none of this talk with the original PS, when SEGA had far more In-House studios more exclusives and most of the best PS game were all on the PC and run and looked better.

MGS, Crash, Spyro and others were on PC back then and looked better? What TimDog fevered dream are you having?

And are you really using the original PSX as an argument against the lack of SW for Xbox One? Really? What'a happening here? I'm scared~

anothertech

Every 3rd party will play best on X, 3rd party are the best sellers. Its like the ps4 launch.
Except 499$ which may be a bigger deal than most realize when the competing hardware is 100$ less.

Ps4 launch also had quite a few Announcements for upcoming exclusives. Exclusives and new IP are so scarce for the Xbone gen it's a little baffling

Widge

The thing is, HW requires SW to be hyped up. X1X's big marketing problem is that it has the power & appearance of being a new console generation, except its not in the department where it matters the most - Software.

This is the first time I've seen MS launch something without a raft of titles. I'm incredibly critical of their output but their launch window support is excellent. Kinect, lots of titles, XB1, lots of titles. Sony is always really slow to move in that respect.

Unfortunately for MS, their support drops off a cliff once the window closes. It really seems that they are hinging on suddenly becoming the third party platform of choice again for the mass market and attempting to carry on with an "as you were". No need to develop if everyone is choosing your platform for third party games. Which is just mad.

Mediking

You're in for a rude awakening if you think various Sony marketed 3rd party games like Red Dead Redemption 2 will sell better on Xbox One X than PS4.

This is the first time I've seen MS launch something without a raft of titles. I'm incredibly critical of their output but their launch window support is excellent. Kinect, lots of titles, XB1, lots of titles. Sony is always really slow to move in that respect.

Unfortunately for MS, their support drops off a cliff once the window closes. It really seems that they are hinging on suddenly becoming the third party platform of choice again for the mass market and attempting to carry on with an "as you were". No need to develop if everyone is choosing your platform for third party games. Which is just mad.
Because all titles did not sold well, if it sold well=earning money, do you think MS still wouldn't greenlight sequel of that exclusive?

MilkyJoe

2edz0v5.jpg.gif

It amazes me that people are happy to appear simple when it comes to the wars.

Except that probably won't pan out, as we've already seen with the PS4 Pro. The Xbox One X will sell to a small audience of Xbox fans who want more power but cannot afford/have no interest in a PC, and that's it.

Well the thing is not even out now and it has a growing list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_Enhanced_games

Widge

Because all titles did not sold well, if it sold well=earning money, do you think MS still wouldn't greenlight sequel of that exclusive?

But that has been the strategy of Sony, and it works fantastically for them. If you look through the PS3 generation, loads of their unique titles didn't sell like wildfire but it DID give them a catalogue of titles, a sense of investment in the platform that looks good to prospective purchasers and existing users. That sort of stuff gets people through the door and also retains them, which leads to the third party attachment rate which is critical to success.

Microsoft seem to be stuck on this idea that every game must come out the doors with the sales performance of Forza/Halo/Gears, 10's across the board. If any of those suffer a duff entry, then it's going to look really dicey. Forza is relatively isolated from trends, but the other two?

Except that probably won't pan out, as we've already seen with the PS4 Pro. The Xbox One X will sell to a small audience of Xbox fans who want more power but cannot afford/have no interest in a PC, and that's it.

That's the problem with the modern AAA industry - publishers are not willing to green light sequels unless the first game is a hit out of the gate. I realise these games are a huge investment but they should realise that franchises like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Uncharted were not big hits until at least their first sequel.

MGS, Crash, Spyro and others were on PC back then and

MGS was on the PC, I'll think you'll find and Crash a good game? Let's leave it there, I think

And are you really using the original PSX as an argument against the lack of SW for Xbox One

Well back then didn't seem to matter if SEGA or Nintendo had better In-House studios or if PS games also came out on the PC run at higher screen res, support for 3DfX, Power VR. So much of the best PS games came out on the PC back in the day and looked far better too like Tomb Raider series, Colin McRae series, FF series, Toca series, G-Police series, F1 series, Resident Evil series, GTA series Oddworld series, Dino Crisis Ect...

But I guess it's ok for so-called PS exclusives to be on the PC, just not XBox games even though MS makes money not just off the sales of PC games, but from windows and also Direct X subs; which nearly every PC game uses

But that has been the strategy of Sony, and it works fantastically for them. If you look through the PS3 generation, loads of their unique titles didn't sell like wildfire but it DID give them a catalogue of titles, a sense of investment in the platform that looks good to prospective purchasers and existing users. That sort of stuff gets people through the door and also retains them, which leads to the third party attachment rate which is critical to success.

Microsoft seem to be stuck on this idea that every game must come out the doors with the sales performance of Forza/Halo/Gears, 10's across the board. If any of those suffer a duff entry, then it's going to look really dicey. Forza is relatively isolated from trends, but the other two?

That's the problem with the modern AAA industry - publishers are not willing to green light sequels unless the first game is a hit out of the gate. I realise these games are a huge investment but they should realise that franchises like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Uncharted were not big hits until at least their first sequel.
Pretty sure GR, R6 and Uncharted all reviewed well and had long sales leg, but none of these happened for MS new titles in this gen.

So:
Not selling well.
Not reviewed well.
Doesn't end up have long sales leg.

And you 2 saying MS should make sequel for it?

Well the thing is not even out now and it has a growing list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_Enhanced_games

Sure, but my point is that the vast majority of people will be happy sticking with their current hardware or picking up the cheaper hardware that plays the same games. I can see it only appealing to a minority of hardcore fans and I don't see it moving the needle significantly.

Pretty sure GR, R6 and Uncharted all reviewed well and had long sales leg, but none of these happened for MS new titles in this gen.

So:
Not selling well.
Not reviewed well.
Doesn't end up have long sales leg.

And you 2 saying MS should make sequel for it?

You don't need to be so defensive; it was a general comment about the modern AAA industry; not specific to MS. And yes; when it comes to games with obvious franchise potential that reviewed pretty well and were well-received by consumers I think MS should invest in sequels, such as Sunset Overdrive or Alan Wake. And I would say the same of Sony and most other big publishers too.

wapplew

Sure, but my point is that the vast majority of people will be happy sticking with their current hardware or picking up the cheaper hardware that plays the same games. I can see it only appealing to a minority of hardcore fans and I don't see it moving the needle significantly.

This is debatable depend on which hardware.

Melchiah

Except this time over 60 million people have already bought a system to play those 3rd party titles on. To have them further improved at the price of 500€ is unlikely to sway the masses.

Except this time over 60 million people have already bought a system to play those 3rd party titles on. To have them further improved at the price of 500€ is unlikely to sway the masses.

That's true, but this is about the long term battle. MS needs to get more developers leading on its platform, that something that helped it so much with the 360, whats really hurt MS with the One. Not only did the XBox lost it's 'GPU' crown but also more worryingly the system with the best tools and more easy to developer for, that's something MS had over SONY with both the XBox and 360

This is debatable depend on which hardware.

Is it? I put forward the PS4 Pro accounting for 20% of PS4 sales as evidence for my argument. I expect the Xbox One X to be a little higher as MS are doing a better job of marketing it, but not significantly so because A) it's twice the price of the Xbox One S, B) it plays the same games, so for the majority of people I don't believe there will be any incentive to upgrade and C) MS has failed to get any knockout first-party games to go alongside it.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the matter.

wapplew

Over 70m people haven't pick up current gen console yet, anything can happen.

Is it? I put forward the PS4 Pro accounting for 20% of PS4 sales as evidence for my argument. I expect the Xbox One X to be a little higher as MS are doing a better job of marketing it, but not significantly so because A) it's twice the price of the Xbox One S, B) it plays the same games, so for the majority of people I don't believe there will be any incentive to upgrade and C) MS has failed to get any knockout first-party games to go alongside it.

I don't have any take on the matter, just the general vibe I got from reading social media.

I don't have any take on the matter, just the general vibe I got from reading social media.

Sure, but it's very easy to be in a bubble on social media and get the wrong impression, depending on who you follow and what you read. Not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't use it as a barometer for anything unless you've conducted extensive impartial analysis on the matter (which I'm assuming not going by your comment).

Melchiah

That's true, but this is about the long term battle. MS needs to get more developers leading on its platform, that something that helped it so much with the 360, whats really hurt MS with the One. Not only did the XBox lost it's 'GPU' crown but also more worryingly the system with the best tools and more easy to developer for, that's something MS had over SONY with both the XBox and 360

That helped with the 360, since it had the US market for a full year and the EU market for 15 months for itself before the PS3 was out. Plus, the PS3 was more expensive and not as developer friendly as the PS4 is. Now the XBX has none of those advantages. People have also digital libraries now, that may keep them with the ecosystem they're on.

MilkyJoe

That's the entire point of it's existence.

That's the entire point of it's existence.

Sure, that's fair enough. But some people seem to think that it's going to sway hardware sales significantly in MS's favour, and I feel like if they're not realistic with their expectations they're going to be in for a shock. It might win them a month's NPD before things fall back into place like normal.

That helped with the 360, since it had the US market for a full year and the EU market for 15 months for itself before the PS3 was out. Plus, the PS3 was more expensive and not as developer friendly as the PS4 is. Now the XBX has none of those advantages. People have also digital libraries now, that may keep them with the ecosystem they're on.

Like I said it's about the long haul now. MS needs to get back with being the best platform to develop games on with the best tools and support. X Box One X seems a huge step by MS to do just that...

You guys think if Microsoft wouldn't have focused on XB1 X and Power this gen, they could have invested in some great exclusive games?

Sadly they put $500 million to Kinect and that's what cost them so much, not just on the One but on the 360 too. The money and effort they wasted on Kinect should have been put to sequels to Blue Dragon, Ninja Blade, Alan Wake while making sure the likes Ninja Gaiden stayed on the XBox .

Sadly Robbie Bach didn;t seem to care about the need for In-House studios or the need for keeping deals with Japanese developers for the likes of Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden, hell Robbie and co couldn't even be bothered to keep Mass Effect (despite MS funding the original) and its come back to hurt them.

Melchiah

Like I said it's about the long haul now. MS needs to get back with being the best platform to develop games on with the best tools and support. X Box One X seems a huge step by MS to do just that...

They seem to be doing the right choices regarding that, but they're still unlikely to have as great advantage on the ease of development as they had last gen. And unless they launch their next gen platform earlier than Sony, they're also unlikely to have the same kind of advantage of being the first to the market and the cheaper alternative. The digital libraries which I mentioned previously, and which were non-existent when the 360 launched, also work against them in the future.*

* EDIT: Assuming the PS4 games will work on the PS5.

They seem to be doing the right choices regarding that, but they're still unlikely to have as great advantage on the ease of development as they had last gen. And unless they launch their next gen platform earlier than Sony, they're also unlikely to have the same kind of advantage of being the first to the market and the cheaper alternative. The digital libraries which I mentioned previously, and which were non-existent when the 360 launched, also work against them in the future.*

* EDIT: Assuming the PS4 games will work on the PS5.

I agree, but the XBox One X is MS taking issues to fix area's it knows it messed up on and this isn't MS going to AMD asking for simply slightly faster chips and a few more cores (like PS Pro). Its MS helping to develop a hugely powerful CPU and also help developers with the best tools and system layout MS can offer, even the cooling system of the One X shows how much effort and how serious MS is to get its GPU crown back.

MS is doing a hell of a lot of good moves and with its BC program for not just the 360 but now also the OG XBox it bolds well for anyone buying a game or product on the One or One X going forward, as does the focus on making a hugely powerful GPU.

It can only bold well, not just for the One X, but the X Box II.

I agree, but the XBox One X is MS taking issues to fix area's it knows it messed up on and this isn't MS going to AMD asking for simply slightly faster chips and a few more cores (like PS Pro). Its MS helping to develop a hugely powerful CPU and also help developers with the best tools and system layout MS can offer, even the cooling system of the One X shows how much effort and how serious MS is to get its GPU crown back.

Hugely powerful CPU? You know it is just another Jaguar in the the thing right?

gtj1092

Then the PC didn't come into it, never mind Tomb Raider 1,3 looked and run better on the PC it was all about the PS having the best console versions of the 'said' game, it was the Saturn didn't have it or it looked worse on the system. Well, really that's what MS needs to with the One X. Have the best looking and sounding versions of the 3rd party games, that's their best bet and hope the One X becomes the lead platform for development as a result.

This post is out of bizarro land. Sony was new to market. MS is been in it for a while now. Also PS had way more exclusives and was sold on the back of Japanese games which weren't on PC. Did you actually game back then or just read about it on team Xbox forums.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

Christmas 2013 had two similar consoles with similar games and similar prospects. 4 years later, a power boost (even one as substantial as the X) won't really pull the same weight as the PS4's slight edge back then given the gulf in games now released. Also don't forget that the more powerful PS4 was actually cheaper than the One. And don't forget that 90m people have already invested into a console and will just buy the game on its own. The situations aren't really comparable.

MilkyJoe

Sure, that's fair enough. But some people seem to think that it's going to sway hardware sales significantly in MS's favour, and I feel like if they're not realistic with their expectations they're going to be in for a shock. It might win them a month's NPD before things fall back into place like normal.

Some people are idiots. I have no idea why anyone would even care tbh. The sales figures are the most baffling part of the wars. The only thing to worry about sales is that your console of choice has not sold enough to get decent 3rd party support. Once that obstacle is out of the way then who the fuck cares? I can accept an interest in the business, that's fair enough, but to use total sales to validate a hobby? T'is rhubarb...

This post is out of bizarro land. Sony was new to market. MS is been in it for a while now. Also PS had way more exclusives and was sold on the back of Japanese games which weren't on PC. Did you actually game back then or just read about it on team Xbox forums.

Been gaming since 1984. You make a sort of good point about Japanese exclusives, but there again, there were loads of Saturn Japanese exclusives that never came out on the PC, much less to the West. It's not like having Japanse exclusives did many favours to the NEC PC-Eng or Saturn in the West

And since you speak of the XBox, the OG XBox didn't have the best of Japanese support, not even Resident Evil or Tekken (hell it didn't even have a Japanese RPG) the 360 lost a lot of its so called exclusives to the PS3 like Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden, all whilst Robbie was also closing down MS In-House studios like Indie Built, Fasta Ensemble Studios and also no Yakuza games or even Persona games
That's ok I guess, just as long as you're the number one system in the USA sales charts, which is what most here seem to care about.

Most of the issues with the XBox One, were there with the 360.

Hey it was not my brain that was making the misstake and how the fuck should I know if you meant anything else when you also mentions GPU in the same post.

Mistake is spelled with one just one s. You see, it's easy to make a typo.

Nobody, it going to BIG up, the CPU inside the XBox One or One X !. Lets not come it

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I don't think that's what they're banking on.

I doubt the X will account for more than 10% of future XB1 sales. $499 plus tax is no small chunk of change. If the Pro version of the far more popular PS4 accounts for 20% of sales at $400, a less popular console selling for $100 more with an objectively smaller lineup of exclusives is a tougher proposition. You'll have a small surge at the beginning led by a group of enthusiasts, then sales will fall off greatly. The majority of people with any interest in an XB1 will flock to a $200 S model this holiday season.

Over 70m people haven't pick up current gen console yet, anything can happen.

The majority of those 70m fencesitters are probably waiting for their system of choice to hit $200, not looking to spend $400-500 on a more powerful iteration of an existing product. We're getting to the point in the gen where the price-conscious consumer is going to be driving sales. Both the Pro and upcoming X are products which will appeal to a minority of those still looking to buy into this gen.

sirronoh

lol

Beat Banjo-Kazooie to funniest post in thread, grats.

Yeah some of these Xbox One X expectations are just... I don't even know what to say.

Wish we could just fast forward to January 2018 to put to rest any assumptions that a $500 machine that plays the same games as a $250 machine that is being significantly outsold by not one but two competitors will move a lot of units during the most price-sensitive period of the year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don't recall PC versions of NFL Gameday, Wipeout, Mortal Kombat 3, Tekken, Air Combat, Ridge Racer, Resident Evil, Toshinden, Destruction Derby, etc....

Sony cleaned Sega's clock day one and never looked back.

Were you even around during this era, or old enough at the time? Seems like you know nothing about it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah some of these Xbox One X expectations are just... I don't even know what to say.

Wish we could just fast forward to January 2018 to put to rest any assumptions that a $500 machine that plays the same games as a $250 machine that is being significantly outsold by not one but two competitors will move a lot of units during the most price-sensitive period of the year.

Anyone that thinks differently is fooling themselves. I am getting the X because Gamestop is paying for it. It will be the most powerful console out there until it isn't. MS isn't trying to win the gen with it. They are just trying to have the strongest console out to finish the gen regardless of lack of exclusives. I don't think there is much more to it than that.

Top Bottom