• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

These monsters weren't in 4U: Agnaktor, Arzuros, Blagonga, Bulldrome, Duramboros, Lagiacrus, Lavasioth, Nargacuga, Nibelsnarf, Plesioth, Royal Ludroth, Shogun Ceanataur, Uragaan, Volvidon, and Amatsumagatsuchi.

They were in previous games though. Then there's the 7 new monsters plus 12 deviant monsters which are variations of existing monsters.

Alatreon
is back too

Shengar

Let's do this :3
I play 4U last night against B.Gravios with G Rank gear and it took me 9 minutes lol
Really getting rusty since I don't play the demo, savoring it for the full game.

tuffy

There's no expeditions, free hunts, or anything like that.
I'm going to miss not having some sort of free hunt option. I used to keep in practice just by going out into the Moga Woods or on an expedition to hunt whatever random thing showed up, without any stress about succeeding or failing a quest.

Neonsands

Neo Member
Can't wait to try out all the new bows!!!

I've got nothing but time for three weeks, so I imagine this is how it's going to be spent.

Nohar

No free hunts? Oh man, I liked those :'(

Anyhow, I'm going SnS in this one. Never really gave this weapon a chance, it is time to make it my new main weapon (for the record: MHTri - Longsword and Switchaxe ; MH3 Ultimate - Light Bowgun ; MH4U - Dual Swords).

jorgejjvr

These monsters weren't in 4U: Agnaktor, Arzuros, Blagonga, Bulldrome, Duramboros, Lagiacrus, Lavasioth, Nargacuga, Nibelsnarf, Plesioth, Royal Ludroth, Shogun Ceanataur, Uragaan, Volvidon, and Amatsumagatsuchi.

They were in previous games though. Then there's the 7 new monsters plus 12 deviant monsters which are variations of existing monsters.
Awesome!!!!

The ones from previous games are new to me since I started in 4U!

Alric

I have a few questions because I was reading this in one of the other threads.

So MH Generations compared to MH4U is now 30fps, has lower FOV, and some graphics are lowered as well? In exchange it has some nicer animations and more effects on screen?

Is the 30fps at least stable?

Either way I'm looking forward to playing it because I really enjoy the Adept/Bushido style, really fun to play.

Tucah

you speak so well
This will be my first Monster Hunter (that I've spent any significant amount of time with anyway), let's see how it goes.

As a longtime LS player, and sometimes Lance player, what is a good to go to for a secondary? I kinda miss playing SnS from my Freedom 2 days, but it plays so differently now. I kinda like Axebladeroo but the coating system throws me off to be honest.

moozoom

I have the game since monday and having a blast ! The arts and new moves really give an extra boost to the hunts.

>> One question though : I have a friend with a japanese copy of the game, will we be able to connect and play together in multi ? (in the same room)

I'm afraid it won't be possible

Pejo

Oh damn, Lagi's back! I hadn't heard that at all, hope his armor still looks cool.

I'm not sure if he'll still be as menacing without the water battles though.

Bought my first nintendo console (new 3ds xl) to play this game. Hyped! Any tips for beginners? I'm looking to mainly play co-op, but I read that you get important stuff from SP only stuff? Anyone clarify this?

Bought my first nintendo console (new 3ds xl) to play this game. Hyped! Any tips for beginners? I'm looking to mainly play co-op, but I read that you get important stuff from SP only stuff? Anyone clarify this?

There are mission in SP that upgrade food ingredients for better buffs before a mission, as well as upgrading your farm so you can get more resources outside of gathering. The food ones isn't as important because multiplayer will give you upgraded ingredients based on if other players have better ingredients.

TreIII

RIP Great Jaggi.

Nah. After the devs actually said gave their reasons why, I'm actually glad they gave poor Great Jaggi a break. He's been everybody's whipping boy for two generations.

By the time MH5 rolls around, I'll expect him back, along with Great Maccau.

georly

Sadly, Nerscylla. One of my favorite monsters too.

You don't say
image.php

Thanks for the info though. Will miss jaggi.

KimChi

Can't wait to get back into monster hunter with this game, ill be going with SnS and possibly trying switch axe since i've never touched them in the previous games.

As a longtime LS player, and sometimes Lance player, what is a good to go to for a secondary? I kinda miss playing SnS from my Freedom 2 days, but it plays so differently now. I kinda like Axebladeroo but the coating system throws me off to be honest.

I couldn't get into SnS in the older games but 4U got me to appreciate them. Especially in generations i'd say it's a fine weapon to second with especially because the oils for SnS make it even more powerful.

Vuze

Nah. After the devs actually said gave their reasons why, I'm actually glad they gave poor Great Jaggi a break. He's been everybody's whipping boy for two generations.

By the time MH5 rolls around, I'll expect him back, along with Great Maccau.
I hope neither of them will be in, MH5 really needs that MHTri treatment of a 95% monster roaster overhaul alongside visual and moveset upgrades!

That being said, I hope I can grind Silverwind Narga to LVL6 tomorrow. Need to finish my lance set

If you want to play with friends primarily, you should be able to go through the MP without much trouble and get good gear. Then you should be overpowered and be able to go through the SP content quickly enough to get the food upgrades/weapon arts/etc.

Doombear

Anyhow, I'm going SnS in this one. Never really gave this weapon a chance, it is time to make it my new main weapon (for the record: MHTri - Longsword and Switchaxe ; MH3 Ultimate - Light Bowgun ; MH4U - Dual Swords).

Do it! SnS is a blast in this. I usually did Bushido or Striker depending on the monster I was facing. It is just a great weapon and so generally underused and perceived as a weaker weapon.

CritDraw and Focus and watch things recoil in pain. Never gets old. I miss slapping things
Sold! I just remember playing my first MH (Monster Hunter Portable I believe) and trying GS first. The sluggishness just... I couldn't. Switched to LS and Hammer for that one. I'll finally give it a fair shake this time!

Like I said, SnS with the new Hunter Arts and Styles is so much fun! Try it out! It feels like a whole new beast. The new moves/tweaks are pretty great too.

Some Hunter Arts are unlocked via specific quests. So it benefits you to go through Village and Online both. You could of course always go back and get them once you have OP armor and weapons from sticking on Online. Your choice.

nubbe

Let's do this :3
I play 4U last night against B.Gravios with G Rank gear and it took me 9 minutes lol
Really getting rusty since I don't play the demo, savoring it for the full game.

I love B.Gravios
Nothing better than watching G people thinking they are hot shit, and thus eating dirt

Nohar

The one thing rubbing me the wrong way is that if you want to use Art 2 and 3, you need to use the Touchscreen. Using the stylus in the middle of an hunt is... not ideal. Sadly, I guess I'll have no other choice than to use my thumb (better wash my hands more often than normal).

EDIT: Nevermind. YEAH FOR EXTRA SHOULDER BUTTONS!!!!

TreIII

I hope neither of them will be in, MH5 really needs that MHTri treatment of a 95% monster roaster overhaul alongside visual and moveset upgrades!

Disagree, there. I wouldn't wish losing a whole bunch of favorite weapon movesets and Monster favorites in a new MH on anybody, and that was a thing that I disliked about Tri (well, along with the swimming). Besides, as we saw in MH3G/U, most of the focus of that game was bringing back most of what people were missing, in the first place!

I'm willing to let them take the time they need so that MH5 can be truly outstanding.

Gala

I think I'm gonna pass on dual blades this time around and try something new. Right now I'm really thinking about going light bowgun.
Did any of you play light bowgun solo in MH3U or MH4U? Is it viable or can it get frustrating really quick?

Effect

There's no expeditions, free hunts, or anything like that.

That sucks. I don't miss the expeditions. How they were setup were frustrating but I enjoyed the Moga Woods free hunting option. Especially when you needed to farm items for potions, etc or just wanted to screw around.

Had it for about 48 hours now and it's a damn good time. The Charge Blade changes did throw me off at first but GaijinHunter really helped out there. I'm back to wrecking shop in Adept Style.

The start is a bit slower than MH4U but the gathering Quality of Life changes are huuuuuuuuge. So much faster now. Very very pleased so far.

Had it for about 48 hours now and it's a damn good time. The Charge Blade changes did throw me off at first but GaijinHunter really helped out there. I'm back to wrecking shop in Adept Style.

The start is a bit slower than MH4U but the gathering Quality of Life changes are huuuuuuuuge. So much faster now. Very very pleased so far.

Can you detail these some?

Can you detail these some?

You can just hold the A button now and it never stops the animation, you just keep gathering much faster than normal. Same for carving, just hold A and you get your items faster than stopping, standing up, bending down and starting again. There's also a lot more items at every node, I get close to 10 items now as opposed to 5.

tuffy

I think I'm gonna pass on dual blades this time around and try something new. Right now I'm really thinking about going light bowgun.
Did any of you play light bowgun solo in MH3U or MH4U? Is it viable or can it get frustrating really quick?
I spent a huge amount of time with the light bowgun solo in MH3U, and it was completely viable. It's a different mindset from the blademaster type weapons because added range makes it a lot easier to anticipate and avoid attacks, and there's a different set of monster attacks one needs to look out for (e.g. monster spins are harmless, but fireballs can be bad news). Plus, getting hit less often compensates for having a lot less defense.

You can just hold the A button now and it never stops the animation, you just keep gathering much faster than normal. Same for carving, just hold A and you get your items faster than stopping, standing up, bending down and starting again. There's also a lot more items at every node, I get close to 10 items now as opposed to 5.

FUCK

Top Bottom