• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

wwm0nkey

Lazy8s said:
The hype will die for this system surprisingly soon after launch.

It'll tragically always be defined by its gimmick even though many will point out in vain that it's a normal system once the 3D effect is turned off.

People will call it a turning point in Nintendo's history but won't realize that Nintendo paved this road for themselves long before when they ignored the lessons being demonstrated by the smartphone boom.
no more talking for you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The small gap between japan and US/EU launch is a good thing. Gives us time to hear impressions in detail on any games we aren't sure about before they come out over here. Ridge racer and steel diver are ones I want to hear more about

Lazy8s said:

It'll tragically always be defined by its gimmick even though many will point out in vain that it's a normal system once the 3D effect is turned off.

People will call it a turning point in Nintendo's history but won't realize that Nintendo paved this road for themselves long before when they ignored the lessons being demonstrated by the smartphone boom.
This reads like fanfiction.

The creepy kind.

I was thinking we would have seen a backlash against the 3DS by now after the hands on from J-GAF but it does not seem to be so, they are still excited about getting the 3DS.

can we see some backlash and buyers remorse a month after launch?

I can only imagine that Nintendo would have revealed new Marios by then things to look forward to for Holiday 2011 that would keep the hype strong

HiroProtagonist said:
IMG_2127.jpg

ouh shiny

Lazy8s said:

Seriously. Nintendo should have learned their lesson from the DS. Two screens, one of which was touch, is a gimmick that never caught on, and completely defined the system. Then they had the audacity to put the gimmicky gimmick in the name! Fucking stupid Nintendo! Will they ever learn? Now with the 3ds, they rub it in our faces again! It's like they want to be defined by the 3d gimmick! I for one am disgusted by this tragic future you foresee. Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick...

HiroProtagonist said:
Seriously. Nintendo should have learned their lesson from the DS. Two screens, one of which was touch, is a gimmick that never caught on, and completely defined the system. Then they had the audacity to put the gimmicky gimmick in the name! Fucking stupid Nintendo! Will they ever learn? Now with the 3ds, they rub it in our faces again! It's like they want to be defined by the 3d gimmick! I for one am disgusted by this tragic future you foresee. Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick...

500px-Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

Man

Chris1964 said:
DS Lite came out 15 months after DS Phat. First 3DS revision won't come out sooner.
Never would have guessed. Thought it was two-three years.
Thankfully the 3DS has a respectful look from day one and not a toy design.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
3DS might not be a paradigm shifter like the DS was or the PSP was meant to be, or een the dominant "most hot selling console ever" that the DS ended up becoming - but it will still do fine as a DS MK II if nothing else.

And not just from a consumer standpoint, developers too, it will do better in terms of games, which again will drive sales comfortably.

Nintendo aren't immune from disastrous screwups but a system that has Nintendogs, Pokemon, Layton and so on is gonna do well.

For Nintendo to really fuck up the DS they need to make some drastic mistakes in the same gen as a competitor releases a great product. The 3DS is not that machine and I doubt the PSP2 is even a competitor. This will live up to the Gameboy/DS family.

Can't wait to hear games impressions.

Cygnus X-1

Lazy8s said:

I don't see how this could happen. This is the first 3D device without the need of glasses. Why shouldn't people be interested in it? As long as games come out regularly, success is guaranteed. The original bulky DS was much more a gimmick if you ask me.

stilgar

Lazy8s said:

Iwata must be crying in a corner after reading such a convincing analysis.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Is this a 3DS launch thread or a whine baby thread? Jeez.

What's everyone else getting on J-launch?

- Ridge Racer
- SSFIV3D

Not sure if I want to get Puzzle Bobble yet :/

Cygnus X-1 said:
I don't see how this could happen. This is the first 3D device without the need of glasses. Why shouldn't people be interested in it? As long as games come out regularly, success is guaranteed. The original bulky DS was much more a gimmick if you ask me.

Japan has a few 3D phones and cameras on the market already. This will be the most demanded and most advertised but it's not the first.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
VOOK said:

- Ridge Racer
- SSFIV3D

Puzzle Bubble should be a 5€ game in 2011, I wonder how it will sell if it's full price.

VOOK

marc^o^ said:
Puzzle Bubble should be a 5€ game in 2011, I wonder how it will sell if it's full price.

Probably terribly, it's full price which yeah terrible.

VOOK

Graphics Horse said:
Did you manage to capture any 3D 3DS footage, Vook?

Not yet, there is an event next week which I might be able to get a go at it. The problem with the 3D cameras is you can't be too close to the subject and have to zoom in from a distance. It just doesn't/can't do macro type shots.

I've uploaded some test footage to Youtube and got that working, so I'll be ready to test.

VOOK said:
Not yet, there is an event next week which I might be able to get a go at it. The problem with the 3D cameras is you can't be too close to the subject and have to zoom in from a distance. It just doesn't/can't do macro type shots.

Ah, that's a shame, will be interesting to see anyway, I'm amazed nobody seems to have tried it yet.

VOOK said:

I've uploaded some test footage to Youtube and got that working, so I'll be ready to test.
Do you have the W1 or W3? My Finepix W3 does have a macro mode, I've used it to get a couple 3D pictures of my 3D photo frame (which admittedly, at 8 inches is quite a bit bigger than the 3DS screen)

VOOK

It's a W3, yeah I noticed the macro mode - might give that a test run on things. Thanks for the tip.

Michan

cvxfreak said:
Around $100. :/
Would it be cheaper to ship the battery alone by one of those couriers? If so, might it be worth sending the 3DS by Japan Post and the battery separately, to save on shipping?

Or even, without a battery at all if replacement batteries can be purchased from Nintendo's online parts store or from third parties.

m.i.s.

Banned
Brazil said:
Whatever you say, guy from the alternative future where the wrong is right.

Let's at least wait till the thing is released eh?

Not saying he's right but, then again, not saying he's wrong either.

At one point, PS3 was also a sure thing. Just don't count your chickens before they're hatched, that's all I'm saying.

Cygnus X-1

Graphics Horse said:
Japan has a few 3D phones and cameras on the market already. This will be the most demanded and most advertised but it's not the first.

Ok, but I doubt these are even remotely mass-market-oriented such as 3DS.

I like the white cases, then again I don't care all that much since I keep my DS games in Hori cases anyway and the game cases go off to the cabinet.

Lazy8s said:

Nintendo is doomed, let us all embrace our Doodle Jump future.

Ramenman

VOOK said:

Wait, you can actually film with a 3D cam so that the right camera gets the right-eye image and the left camera gets the left-eye image ?

Sadist

Lazy8s said:

"Nintendo shot themselves in the foot"

cvxfreak

Michan said:
Would it be cheaper to ship the battery alone by one of those couriers? If so, might it be worth sending the 3DS by Japan Post and the battery separately, to save on shipping?

Or even, without a battery at all if replacement batteries can be purchased from Nintendo's online parts store or from third parties.

Yeah, I think after the system launches in outside Japan, this won't be as much of a problem. Just buy a battery overseas and it's all good to go. Nice idea though for those who are in a hurry!

Donnie

Lazy8s said:

But if it had a PowerVR chip in it would be successful right? :D

Seriously, the Smartphone boom?.. is there a smiley I can use that laughs until it pukes on here?

onken

I think I have successfully stayed off launch hype and will resist this. Will look forward to stealing goes off my friends though. MGS3D launch however...

Gravijah

Lazy8s said:

but nintendo totally understand smartphones; they release upgraded versions of their handhelds every year and a half!

Dreamwriter said:
Do you have the W1 or W3? My Finepix W3 does have a macro mode, I've used it to get a couple 3D pictures of my 3D photo frame (which admittedly, at 8 inches is quite a bit bigger than the 3DS screen)
you should go mad with recursion. take a pic of your photo frame and display it on your photo frame and then take a picture of that. it'd turn into some mad 3D picture frame tunnel.

Zane

Lazy8s said:

oh ok

- J - D -

VOOK said:

- Ridge Racer
- SSFIV3D

Oh thank goodness someone is getting Ridge Racer. I haven't heard one person here even getting that at launch.

Looking forward to your impressions. :D

matmanx1

I'm actually pretty interested in impressions for the Samurai Warriors game. It's been built from the ground up as a 3DS title and it's fully voiced. If it plays well and is at least decent I would probably be interested in picking up the English version when it releases.

Outside of that I'm looking forward to hearing more about Steel Diver and Pilotwings and of course bemoaning the fact that we aren't getting Layton at launch =(

Hex

Banned
Lazy8s said:

So you are saying that they shot themselves in the foot?

M3d10n

plagiarize said:
you should go mad with recursion. take a pic of your photo frame and display it on your photo frame and then take a picture of that. it'd turn into some mad 3D picture frame tunnel.
This guy is onto something.

Man said:
Never would have guessed. Thought it was two-three years.
Thankfully the 3DS has a respectful look from day one and not a toy design.

I'm so going to get egged.

I loved the toy designs of some handhelds, including the Phat, we need the lighthearted and colorful look again, we don't need to be all sleek and shiny all the time...

mehdi_san

I finally got to try it today at the Kyoto Bic Camera. It's awesome but I have literally no interest at all in any of the launch titles :( I still don't know if I'll get the system on day one...

ElFly

Dreamwriter said:
I've got a larger screen, an 8 inch 3D photo frame. The sweet spot remains exactly the same size, but with a bigger screen, there's a larger area in front of it that you expect to be able to see the picture from. It's a lot harder to figure out exactly where the center is to get the effect.

Well, if there's a new model with bigger screens, it won't be that big. DSi XL has 4.2" screens.

Luigiv

VOOK said:

That doesn't sound good at all. Zooming from a distance, obvious, won't work. The camera will need to be positioned in the sweet spot to pull it off.

Well regardless, do we want to arrange a meeting time for the event or do we keep or internet and real lives comfortably separate? I'm going to be heading in first thing Friday morning in order to avoid as much of a line as possible (damn you Nintendo for actually advertising the event on TV) but I'm still up for heading in again on the Saturday if we want to meet up. An invite to all other interested Perth Gaffers reading this too of course (if you even exist, that is).

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Oh thank goodness someone is getting Ridge Racer. I haven't heard one person here even getting that at launch.

Looking forward to your impressions. :D

i'm getting ridge racer, wouldn't be a system launch without it.

...T_T

but yeah, that along with winning eleven and street fighter should do me fine until steel diver...

Top Bottom