• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Rootbeer

Banned
The film is coming to disc soon (July 24th)... then we'll all be able to see for ourselves. I've heard mixed things, but most of it has been leaning towards positive. The biggest complaints I've heard about it tend to be that it doesn't focus on Kurapika enough (promo art seems to be selling it as Kurapika-centric, which is misleading) and that where it falls in canon is questionable.

Even if it is middling... i'll take more Hunter x Hunter in whatever form I can get it, especially new stories (which it is).

There are details and some great photos in this crunchyroll article.

For those who have read the entire manga.
So what are the odds of Togashi eventually writing more chapters (try to hold your laughter back) and involving Kurapika and the spiders in the story again, only to have Kurapika killed before he can get his revenge. The only reason I ask, is because I've read that Togashi likes subverting shounen tropes, so is that possible?

smurfx

get some go again
Ah, sorry about that. I'll remember to go there from now on.
i hope you don't think i'm trying to chase you away! i just think you can have better conversations in the manga thread since you don't have to worry about spoiling anybody.

dan2026

I killed and ate your waifu, and there is nothing you can do about it!

Hunting really is so much fun!

1369293330625.gif

Soriku

Episode 81

Wow Gon got swatted and that hit actually made him tear up a bit? Goddamn. Even Killua felt that shit. Too bad the fight didn't last very long. Well, there are more next week.

I'm liking the internal politics with the ants.

bigkrev

Fucked x Fucked 81

Gon and Killua can't even hurt a ANT. This is going swimmingly.

I'm kinda surprised that Colt has so much authority. I thought the Ants got stronger based on what was eaten- I don't think a 10 year old boy should have birthed a commander.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Episode 81

Fucking awesome. Gon and Killua got their confidence shattered and you could feel the RAGE coming from the ant soldier. Still, all that blood he was coughing up and the pain inflicted in him was great to see. Great animation in the short fight too. Shit's about to keep getting real!

Can't believe this arc is getting animated. So awesome man.

Radec

Okay, this Chimera Arc is turning me into a believer now.

These different ant characters are awesome.

I'm reading the manga right now and
This Royal Guard girl Pitou is strong!, Poor Kaito.

Episode 81

I think so far, this arc is just not as good as Heaven's Arena and Greed Island (my two favorite arcs thus far). I think this is just starting a bit slow and I came away disappointed with the fight this episode.
Killua and Gon have come all this way and so far, and all they can do is that little of bit of damage with their hi-ougis and thats it. No way is that guy stronger than Bomber was and etc. I think somewhere along the way the writer got the power schema confused, as Killua and Gon should have easily destroyed him fast. Thunderbolt was super cool though. More lightning attacks is a must

Kurt and Cheetu are the best of the Chimera ants. Cheetu's pretty hilarious and such, those faces at Kurt, lol.

zero_suit

Episode 81

I think so far, this arc is just not as good as Heaven's Arena and Greed Island (my two favorite arcs thus far). I think this is just starting a bit slow and I came away disappointed with the fight this episode.
Killua and Gon have come all this way and so far, and all they can do is that little of bit of damage with their hi-ougis and thats it. No way is that guy stronger than Bomber was and etc. I think somewhere along the way the writer got the power schema confused, as Killua and Gon should have easily destroyed him fast. Thunderbolt was super cool though. More lightning attacks is a must

Kurt and Cheetu are the best of the Chimera ants. Cheetu's pretty hilarious and such, those faces at Kurt, lol.
I can't wait to read your reaction to the rematch with this ant.

upandaway

Music was crazy this episode. Animation too, satisfying as hell. I felt it deep. Man that was good

@ DTL, physically all ants, at least above grunts, are significantly stronger than normal humans (basic Nen included). Even if Bomber may have won thanks to his ability, Rammot is definitely stronger than him in raw combat.

But still remember that Gon and Killua underestimated how much they hurt him. Like Kite said and like we saw him afterwards, he was still hurt really bad.

Fucked x Fucked 81

I'm kinda surprised that Colt has so much authority. I thought the Ants got stronger based on what was eaten- I don't think a 10 year old boy should have birthed a commander.
As far as I understood, when Kite was talking about that during the chimera explanation, he was referring to the ants growing stronger with each "generation". All these ants are from the same generation, different generations decided by new kings/queens. So the difference isn't big enough to change command.

Daingurse

Man, I read a lot of the Chimera Ant arc years ago, but the hiatuses just became too much. I don't remember this arc, like at all. I really don't remember this being so badass, goddamn.

Raxus

This ending theme is getting more and more unintentionally hilarious with each passing episode. Find a lake of dead bodies and LALALALALA!

Jigolo

Fucked x Fucked 81

huh? I'm sure they did some damage considering what was happening at their base. I think Killua and Gon would've beat the ant if Colt didn't save the guy.

CrazyDude

The film is coming to disc soon (July 24th)... then we'll all be able to see for ourselves. I've heard mixed things, but most of it has been leaning towards positive. The biggest complaints I've heard about it tend to be that it doesn't focus on Kurapika enough (promo art seems to be selling it as Kurapika-centric, which is misleading) and that where it falls in canon is questionable.

Even if it is middling... i'll take more Hunter x Hunter in whatever form I can get it, especially new stories (which it is).

There are details and some great photos in this crunchyroll article.

It's not canon, it's a alternative scrapped version of the spider arc.

vareon

Man, I read a lot of the Chimera Ant arc years ago, but the hiatuses just became too much. I don't remember this arc, like at all. I really don't remember this being so badass, goddamn.

My feelings too. I don't realize meeting just one and was one big deal, goddamn.

Daingurse

My feelings too. I don't realize meeting just one and was one big deal, goddamn.

Exactly, Christ if a grunt is that much of a threat. . .Oh lord the Royal Guard. Shit is about to go down and this arc feels so fresh, it's like I never even read anything!

Akainu

Episode 81

Cleary their combined friendship attack should have killed it. Right? RIGHT?!

Tizoc

Ah hope someone can help me with this:
Which eps. in the new anime comprise a certain arc? Like what eps. are the York Shin arc, which eps. are the Hunter Exam arc, etc.

Clott

I just watched the first episode, does Gon ever get out of that terrible outfit, and is his weapon always going to be a fishing rod?

I just need to hear both of them get upgraded, because right now it's a bit goofy for my taste.

Akainu

I just watched the first episode, does Gon ever get out of that terrible outfit, and is his weapon always going to be a fishing rod?

I just need to hear both of them get upgraded, because right now it's a bit goofy for my taste.
What!? His first outfit is the best but, it does change. And he pretty much stopped using the fishing pole after
fighting in battle tower place.

TommyT

So if he had the same clothes throughout the anime, you wouldn't watch it?

retrobot

Banned
I just binge-viewed the entire series over a period of one week. Never read the manga nor have I watched the first adaption, this is my first foray into the HunterxHunter universe and I'm absolutely loving it so far. You got to give up to Madhouse, they did an amazing job on this.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
I considered re-reading all of CA before it got to this, but I decided against it. Though based off of what I remember, the comparisons are still fun to make. I really do approve of some of the techniques they use for the gore. Much better than the straight black shadows of Jojo despite having things like Dio split in half in plain sight. Can't wait for Pokkle's "interrogation" and Pitou having fun with Kite/Kaito (whatever you all decide to call him here).

Moaradin

I'm considering getting into this. Is it worth watching the original series first or should I go straight into this? I prefer watching dubs but I'm willing to watch this subbed since I loved YYH so much.

Man I can't wait for all this arc to be animated so I can start watching it, there's quite a few moments in this arc that should be absolutely epic when animated.

I'm considering getting into this. Is it worth watching the original series first or should I go straight into this? I prefer watching dubs but I'm willing to watch this subbed since I loved YYH so much.

As one who think YYH has the best dub of all shounens I will advise to stay away from the HxH dubs they are no where near as good.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
I went in this order:
99-dubbed (it's not good)
Manga
Re-watched 99 subbed

99 is an experience in it's own right. But if you just want what the manga gives, go with 2011 and the manga. It's on hiatus so best to read first, then watch. You'll have something to look forward to. You could watch the 99 series just to experience it since it's full off (good) filler and atmosphere.

CrazyDude

99 series is the only dubbed version, but it's pretty bad. Gon and Killua sound like old women.

Top Bottom