• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyesradar

Read about the steamed room method somewhere at GAF. Applied both of mine with the method and profit. I guess you guys really just have to be patient as in the steamed room the dust won't really fly around so as long as your screen is clean before your application you should be okay. Just don't panic!

TheClair

Neo Member
What did the super sale entail?

And nice, I got my 12k points at Shoppers too. Was a great deal.

For gaming they had:
PS4 Uncharted Bundle $379 with a $100 Shoppers Gift Card
XBO Gears 4 1TB $389 with a $100 Shoppers Gift Card
XBO Minecraft 500GB $379 with a $100 Shoppers Gift Card
PS4 controller $75 with a $25 Shoppers Gift Card

Watch_dogs 2 $50
Battlefield 1 $50
NHL 17 $50
FIFA 17 $50

Flyer on SmartCanucks http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/418852-shoppers-drug-mart-nov-19-25-a-canada/

Some people also got personalized 20X coupons for that weekend. Luck of the draw with those.

In November, I picked up a PS4 with a $170 redemption for a total cost of $220 with the $100 gift card. I'm pleased with the deal.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My docks still sitting packed in the box since Im still waiting on my Orzly screen protector to come in lol.

Switch has been a pure handheld machine for me so far. I was playing it on the bus the other day and this guy took a real interest with it. Mentioned the Wii launch, how Majoras Mask was one of his favorite games and such.

Had a 4-5 year old daughter with him who said she loved Zelda and he said he was trying to raise her right with SNES games, 90s style and that he didnt trust how rapidly technology was evolving for his daughter. I was in agreement with him pretty much.

For gaming they had:
PS4 Uncharted Bundle $379 with a $100 Shoppers Gift Card
XBO Gears 4 1TB $389 with a $100 Shoppers Gift Card
XBO Minecraft 500GB $379 with a $100 Shoppers Gift Card
PS4 controller $75 with a $25 Shoppers Gift Card

Watch_dogs 2 $50
Battlefield 1 $50
NHL 17 $50
FIFA 17 $50

Flyer on SmartCanucks http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/418852-shoppers-drug-mart-nov-19-25-a-canada/

Some people also got personalized 20X coupons for that weekend. Luck of the draw with those.

In November, I picked up a PS4 with a $170 redemption for a total cost of $220 with the $100 gift card. I'm pleased with the deal.

That was the last one. The upcoming one has:

42" TV $229.88
32" TV $139.88
Minecraft XB1 $349.88 with $75 GC
Uncharted PS4 $349.88 with $50 GC
Gears XB1 $449.88 with $50 GC
Dualshock 4 $74.88 with $25 GC
25% off value video games

My docks still sitting packed in the box since Im still waiting on my Orzly screen protector to come in lol.

Switch has been a pure handheld machine for me so far. I was playing it on the bus the other day and this guy took a real interest with it. Mentioned the Wii launch, how Majoras Mask was one of his favorite games and such.

Had a 4-5 year old daughter with him who said she loved Zelda and he said he was trying to raise her right with SNES games, 90s style and that he didnt trust how rapidly technology was evolving for his daughter. I was in agreement with him pretty much.

Poor kid, she only wants to play mobile/tablet games but her dad is forcing her to master sequence-breaking in Super Metroid.

Sealtest

Anyone ever get a Fedex clearance invoice for an RMA outside of Canada? I contacted the company I rma'd from and they're telling me that Fedex is making the charge up in the hopes that people pay it. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

Should I just pay the charge? its $8 but I'm being told by the shipper that they wont and that I shouldn't either.

iphys

Anyone ever get a Fedex clearance invoice for an RMA outside of Canada? I contacted the company I rma'd from and they're telling me that Fedex is making the charge up in the hopes that people pay it. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

Should I just pay the charge? its $8 but I'm being told by the shipper that they wont and that I shouldn't either.

There should never be brokerage fees for returned merchandise.

Seik

Banned

Just do like me fam, buy a cheap plastic protector (got one for 5.99$ at wal-mart) and don't give a shit until you receive your glass. :)

I've been holding on getting the Switch out of its box for one week...today I received my copy of IAS and said 'fuck it, I'm playing tonight'. :lol

Dazzler

The NES Classic still hasn't shipped enough five months after release to make it unattractive for scalpers

it's insane

Firestorm

I really dislike people like this. Gaming has such a strong social element. I love reminiscing about the games I played growing up with friends and finding out that even people I met only in the last decade had similar gaming experiences as children. I can't even imagine not being able to share stories with my friends about Genesis/SNES/N64/PSX era games if I had parents who were adamant I go through the Atari or Colecovision classics or whatever the hell.

A parent taking that away from their child because they're too blinded by their own nostalgia just sounds so sad.

True Fire

My parents tried to raise me on Atari games, and I hated it. They said Nintendo 64 was too advanced, and games shouldn't look like movies. All sorts of irrational nonsense to explain why their generation is superior.

I think adults need to understand that letting your child develop their own tastes in entertainment is a lot more powerful than gently forcing them into liking what you like. They're growing up in a completely different generation that hasn't really been defined yet, and that's OK.

TheClair

Neo Member
That was the last one. The upcoming one has:

42" TV $229.88
32" TV $139.88
Minecraft XB1 $349.88 with $75 GC
Uncharted PS4 $349.88 with $50 GC
Gears XB1 $449.88 with $50 GC
Dualshock 4 $74.88 with $25 GC
25% off value video games

I know, the original question was to what was in the last one.

Thanks for the details on what the deals are for this sale.

kevin1025

Banned
I got a Switch! I went into the Wal-Mart in Kanata (ultra west Ottawa) at 7:30pm and they had four sitting on display. I thought for sure they were just display boxes because what are the chances, haha, but nope, very real! So keep a lookout for Wal-Mart restocks, they said they received them earlier today and only just now put them out.

Kyolux

I got a Switch! I went into the Wal-Mart in Kanata (ultra west Ottawa) at 7:30pm and they had four sitting on display. I thought for sure they were just display boxes because what are the chances, haha, but nope, very real! So keep a lookout for Wal-Mart restocks, they said they received them earlier today and only just now put them out.

Kanata is so out of most people's way. That's why. :p

Congrats!

eyesradar

Been out hunting for a Pro Controller for a week now. My local EB had an one-time restock after the launch. Others I've asked had none. God I hate this lottery restock.

jholmes

Tangerine is making their credit cards less good, which sucks. The regular cash back bonus is just .5% and they're increasing fees on foreign exchanges.

Velkyn

I have an almost 2 year old who absolutely ADORES Breath of the Wild, so I feel like weighing in; I really don't understand this way of thinking at all. Making your child have this weird mirrored experience where they have to play the things you played at their age is the sure ticket to making them hate games forever. Just my two cents.

On topic: Anyone with a P5 Take Your Heart edition get a shipping notification yet? Mine's still sitting on "not yet shipped" with an estimate of launch day, but I thought I'd ask.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Asked my local EB for a Switch Pro controller, said they didnt receive any restocks after launch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does anyone know if 3DS money cards work on the Switch since the accounts are unified?

Or do I need to pull out the 3DS to redeem them and hope it transfers over?

SickBoy

Does anyone know if 3DS money cards work on the Switch since the accounts are unified?

Or do I need to pull out the 3DS to redeem them and hope it transfers over?

If you've linked your accounts, funds you add on one device should be available on the other(s). I added funds on my Switch and then used some of that money to get Rhythm Heaven on DS.

Kyolux

I have an almost 2 year old who absolutely ADORES Breath of the Wild, so I feel like weighing in; I really don't understand this way of thinking at all. Making your child have this weird mirrored experience where they have to play the things you played at their age is the sure ticket to making them hate games forever. Just my two cents.

I'd see showing games from my childhood as a fyi to my kid more than anything. To share with them what it was like when I was their age. But that's it.

On topic: Anyone with a P5 Take Your Heart edition get a shipping notification yet? Mine's still sitting on "not yet shipped" with an estimate of launch day, but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers for shipping talk! Nah, still "not yet shipped". I don't expect any movement until Monday at the earliest.

Firestorm

Same, it's the only card I use. Maybe it's time I applied for the Amazon Rewards Card it keeps asking me to whenever I buy something on there.
A good number of friends and I have been using Tangerine Mastercard + Amazon Visa.

Amazon for Amazon purchases and foreign purchases.
Tangerine for everything else.

Going to be changing to Tangerine only for those two categories and Amazon for everything else...

Amazon gives better exchange rate on foreign currencies than any of the local cash exchange places or my bank so I use it whenever travelling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A good number of friends and I have been using Tangerine Mastercard + Amazon Visa.

Going to be changing to Tangerine only for those two categories and Amazon for everything else...

Amazon gives better exchange rate on foreign currencies than any of the local cash exchange places or my bank so I use it whenever travelling.
What is the Tangerine cashback rate?

CRA5H

Just got my fiancee a 5gb plan for $50 at fido. It's a winback byop plan when you mention freedom Mobile's plan. She was paying $45 for 2gb originally.

CazTGG

That's a crazy question. No such thing as eshop/psn/xbox card deals. Well, it was during Target lone years.

There was that eBay seller who sold $20 eShop cards and NES codes together for less than the card's price (I think it was $17?) and Costco sells PSN cards at a slight discount so I wanted to ensure that I didn't miss anything such as that if one popped up. They're seldom, but they do crop up from time to time.

Zeeman

There was that eBay seller who sold $20 eShop cards and NES codes together for less than the card's price (I think it was $17?) and Costco sells PSN cards at a slight discount so I wanted to ensure that I didn't miss anything such as that if one popped up. They're seldom, but they do crop up from time to time.
On my phone so can't link, but there is someone selling $5 Eshop cards for $4 right now

Fumpster

Haha, pretty much. Unless it's a hockey game, a concert or a Star Wars movie in IMAX, Kanata is long forgotten.

Also, no Pro controllers to be found, for those wondering!

Kanata used to be THE place to go when I lived in Perth, but now that I'm in Ottawa proper (Nepean area) I really don't have much reason to go there.

I haven't seen any Pro Controllers in the Ottawa region either... Hopefully EB gets them soon, I've got a lot of Switch credit with them from that trade-in deal from before.

Gaminar

Banned
After moving to the US I swear Canada feels like it's Uber Expensive for gamers. I still buy all my games from the Canadian account but damn the difference IS HUGE!

kaiyo

I might sign up with Rogers MC... 1.75% cashback on everything. 4% cashback on foreign currency. (-2.5% exchange fee = 1.5% cashback)

Use Amazon for Amazon orders. Tangerine for the 3 2% categories. Rogers for everything else.

What is the Tangerine cashback rate?

2% in 2-3 [depends if you choose to apply it to your bill or put into your tangerine savings account] categories (gas, entertainment, grocery, recurring bills etc) that you choose. And you can change the category.
1%, now 0.5% (starts april?) for everything else.

Cashback are applied every month.

krae_man

I have a Visa that does 0.5% on the first $3000 then 1% on every dollar above that. TD can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom