• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Chain Overload + Stability Upgrades + Revenant. At least I had a lot of fun with that build in the demo. With ammo mods it becomes a very strong silver character and can hang in gold. Stick with one lighter assault rifle until you can get some reasonable cooldowns. Spamming chain overload is as important as your weapon.

Definitely keep tech armor off. That crap needs a buff.

I did Chain Overload to the max, I don't remember what I've done for the Turian Veteran stat (I don't think it's fully leveled yet). I don't have the Revenant yet, I'm using the Mattock, but that's it, no secondary weapon. Mostly I unleash the Chain Overload, then unload my clip into the stunned enemy, at which time my Chain Overload is ready to be used again. Seems to work pretty well. All in all, a pretty quality character to start with.

Tech armor would be fine if it didn't slow the cooldown, but since it does, it's just not worth the small benefit you get from it.

LosDaddie

Banned
XBL-GAF: Let's get a group of 4 GAFers together and take on each of the maps & cheevos. I'm talking about 1-2hrs each night, starting around 9:30pm EST....Like enough time to clear out a couple maps each night, and that's it.

Anybody game? Post here, or send me a FR on XBL.

GT: LosDaddie

So...

GT: Hollywood Duo

Look me up.

...anybody else game for a few rounds tonight? I'll check back here about an hour before I hop on XBL

TheExodu5

Banned
Infiltrator is so good. Cloaked grenades take out heavily armor targets easily. Headshots all day.

Now, the question of the day: proximity trap grenades, or 1500 damage grenades. Hmmmm.

Are you joining bronze lobbies? If a level five or whatever joins a silver or gold, I'm kicking them.

I tried joining bronze lobbies with low level characters while the demo was running, and I got kicked on a few occasions. I don't blame people for not wanting low levels dragging them down, but bronze isn't so difficult that one low level character will hinder the entire team's chances.

But yeah, a level 5 should never be attempting a silver, let alone gold. They really should have put some restrictions on that keeping low level characters out of those difficulty levels.

Anyone run into a teammate saying he's got to be away for a little while, he lets his character just sit there and die through the waves, then mysteriously comes back at the end after all the waves were completed? Happened to me in a game last night. The rest of my group agreed that the guy was just using us to gain XP and credits for him while he went and did something else. Really cheap and dirty, especially since he made us lose our full extraction bonus.

Serious

Just managed to beat Gold against the Geth twice in a row pretty handily with a random team. Didn't even have a Quarian Infiltrator (Sabotage vs Geth = fun), was myself as an Engineer, two Soldiers and a Vanguard/Infiltrator, all Human. Hell, I think the Vanguard DCed or lagged out halfway through, and we still did fine. It feels like Geth really need another unit, an equivalent to the Phantom or Banshee, something you need to get away from and deal with immediately. Primes and Pyros are pretty slow, and while they have a lot of health, they don't feel as dangerous as a Phantom or Turret. If you can kill off the Primes/Pyros fast enough, you win...and they're are a lot less annoying to hit than Phantoms.

Picked up a fair few Spectre packs so far. Some interesting stuff in there. A Geth Rifle, Disciple, a couple rare unlocks (Krogan Sentinel should be pretty fun). Of note, I've actually picked up a Missile Launcher and a Medigel Capacity upgrade, so I can now use three of each per mission. I have no idea how many you can get, but one of the Soldiers I just ran with was rank 120 (The game just came out, jeez), and while I wasn't keeping count, he seemed to be standing up on his own quite a bit. The capacity upgrades were never the last item, so I don't think you'll get them instead of a rare unlock/gun, but rather as extras.

Serious

And you say you're getting kicked constantly? Odd, I don't think I've ever seen anyone kicked from a bronze lobby (not counting instances of someone not hitting ready).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I heard talk about the Raptor sniper rifle from two different places yesterday, and since I unlocked it today, I see why - the gun is a beast. It shoots like a high-powered Mattock, except I'm hitting anywhere across the map with even better accuracy, needing just a few shots to pop a head.

On top of that, I unlocked the Quarian Infiltrator, and she's just as nasty against the Geth as I heard with Sabotage - and I thought the Engineer with Chain Overload was cheap. The only downside is random teammates that don't know any better that shoot the sabotaged enemy before the regular ones. Ugh.

So so far, my luck's been pretty good, also got the +1 Medi-gel & rockets too, extra damage and scopes for all the weapons I use except for shotguns, which makes sense since I haven't even touched one yet.

RetroMG

XBL: Retro MG

Been waiting for my group that I played the Demo with to join up, but one guy never responds to invites, one rented the game and isn't shelling out for an online pass, and the third hasn't even bought the full game.

Serious

Turian Soldier + Geth Pulse Rifle is a hilarious combo. The unmodded clip size is 80, and with Marksman activated I can blow through the entire thing in seconds with basically perfect accuracy. Ultimately the Soldier is still a boring class to me, but it's still fun to watch that thing go.

X-Frame

Is anyone going to send their Level 20 character to the SP or no?

Just now I got 100% Galactic Readiness and that was only with maybe 12 matches in total since I got the game yesterday. What would sending a Level 20 character do in addition to the 100% Galactic Readiness?

Elginer

My god it's lonely on Origin. Also since I just started MP I keep getting kicked. Boo-urns. Add me for some low-level asskicking action.

squallsan

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is anyone going to send their Level 20 character to the SP or no?

Just now I got 100% Galactic Readiness and that was only with maybe 12 matches in total since I got the game yesterday. What would sending a Level 20 character do in addition to the 100% Galactic Readiness?

I might try it, just hit 120 so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice.

Out of the new stuff I've played since release I'd have to say Drell Adept is my favorite. You're basically Priss from Bladerunner, but with grenades and spells. Play this guy for awhile and you'll learn every ammo drop and chokepoint on the map and your team will complain when you clear out entire rooms before they've even zoomed in for a headshot.

Reave+Pull gives you a biotic exposion combo.

You can get your cooldown low enough so that you can spam Pull indefinitely which is good for holding a point.

Of the new weapons I've used Geth Plasma Shotgun is my favorite so far. I've got the Pulse Rifle too and using that on a Turian Soldier with Marksman makes for a nice bullethose but it just doesn't do enough damage.

creid

Sorry for invite-bombing the GAFME list, randoms are pretty awful at teamwork. Had a pretty good run with CminusWARRIOR, we got farther with 2 than I've ever gotten with 4 randoms.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I might try it, just hit 120 so it wouldn't be a big sacrifice.

Out of the new stuff I've played since release I'd have to say Drell Adept is my favorite. You're basically Priss from Bladerunner, but with grenades and spells. Play this guy for awhile and you'll learn every ammo drop and chokepoint on the map and your team will complain when you clear out entire rooms before they've even zoomed in for a headshot.

Reave+Pull gives you a biotic exposion combo.

You can get your cooldown low enough so that you can spam Pull indefinitely which is good for holding a point.

Truth. Pull makes dealing with Cerberus shield-guys trivial. I want to unlock the Drell Vanguard, that'd be siiiiiiiick.

Kenaras

Just a heads up:
There's a bug in the store which can completely wipe out everything you've unlocked - all characters, weapons, and items. The most common way this happens appears to be readying for a game in the lobby, then accessing the store. However, there have been reports of it happening from any store access, so there might not be any surefire way to avoid the bug.

So far, the only response from BioWare is that they're investigating the issue. I haven't contacted customer support, but reports from those who have seem to indicate that there will be no reimbursements, even for those who spent real money on packs.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9653611/1

So the best build seems to be biotic charge + nova? The dude using this always ended up having 4 times more xp than me in every match.

Or Stasis bubble + Warp. Or Tactical Cloak + Energy Drain.

I've seen massive scores from Asari Adepts, Salarian Infiltrators and Human Vanguards. I've also seen terrible scores from similarly levelled versions of those. Point is, skill still matters even if you've got a "min/maxed" build.

What matches are you playing? Bronze usually has the biggest score disparities because of skill level. And Vanguards can dominate Bronze games because it's much safer.

Once you start playing in (legit) games of Silver and Gold, the skill levels are much closer to each other because of what's needed to succeed. And you'll also see Vanguards come back down to earth because they need to pick their spots more.

Played a few hours last night with friends I know irl, 1 is a gaffer. Initially I don't think anyone really cared about the MP but we were all online anyway, so why not "just check it out?" As low levels having like no abilities and before we really knew what we were doing, it was kinda meh. We kept playing though, and as our guys leveled up and as we learned what the objectives are, it became more fun. By the end everybody was pretty happy with it and I'm looking forward to playing more and leveling other characters. We ended the night with our first bronze victory.

I'm getting attached to my human sentinel, I think she's lv 12. I want to keep playing as her but know I should try other races/classes.

played / streamed a few hours of gameplay, unlocked some new characters but I still want some turians, not interested in asari!

Been good fun so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So how do you unlock the Premium Collectible Pack and the Recruitment Reward Pack? They're listed on the wiki but have no unlock criterion. I'm guessing the second has to do with the Facebook app?

Also can you get dupes in your packs? Or will you eventually reach a point where all your packs will give you single use items cause you've acquired all the weapons/mods possible?

Ken

What level should I be before bothering with silver challenges?

If anyone wants to play, my GT is CAPCPOM. Have a level 13ish Vanguard and Infiltrator.

So how do you unlock the Premium Collectible Pack and the Recruitment Reward Pack? They're listed on the wiki but have no unlock criterion. I'm guessing the second has to do with the Facebook app?

Also can you get dupes in your packs? Or will you eventually reach a point where all your packs will give you single use items cause you've acquired all the weapons/mods possible?

if you get a character dupe it will give you xp and more customize options for their suit.

There must be an end though once you max out everything, maybe they think by then you will just stop? lol

Yup, unfortunately you can get dupes. Some dupes are fine, since they improve your weapons. Other dupes are not so great, as dupes for aliens just means more experience points and appearance options.

I played the multiplayer mode before I even touched single player. I've really been enjoying the different areas, but I think a reading of the Wiki might clear up a lot of questions. So far I've been doing a male Adept (Warp, Singularity, and wub wub wub) and a sniper rifle. I've really enjoyed the results, but I was kicked from one lobby, so I'm wondering if it's some kind of party foul.

I also can't get the Kinect to work in multiplayer. Do I have to disable it as a mic?

Ken

Is the Turian Sentinel worth leveling? Warp and Overload seem like good debuffs to throw on Banshees and stuff, going by their description.

Cat Party

I love the Battlefield 3 character. The orange blob on the side makes me chuckle. And its nice to have carnage right out of the gate.

Is the Turian Sentinel worth leveling? Warp and Overload seem like good debuffs to throw on Banshees and stuff, going by their description.

I unlocked it with my starter pack and have been using it ever since. I think I'm up to level 17 or 18 now. Chain Overload fully leveled is great, and it's insanely powerful against the Geth. I haven't fully leveled Warp, but I'm sure it will be good when I do. Avoid Tech Armor, it's worthless. Overall, I find the Turian Sentinel to be a really solid character. Probably not on the level of the Human Vanguard or Asari Adept, but not too far off.

Petrie

Banned
Im really shocked how much I enjoy the multiplayer. Anyone looking for GAFers to play with shoot me an add on 360. PetriesLastWord

Dave_6

I love the Battlefield 3 character. The orange blob on the side makes me chuckle. And its nice to have carnage right out of the gate.

Can't get mine to show up and I've re-downloaded the BF3 online pass twice. Is it PC only or is something wrong (PS3 version here)?

Ken

I unlocked it with my starter pack and have been using it ever since. I think I'm up to level 17 or 18 now. Chain Overload fully leveled is great, and it's insanely powerful against the Geth. I haven't fully leveled Warp, but I'm sure it will be good when I do. Avoid Tech Armor, it's worthless. Overall, I find the Turian Sentinel to be a really solid character. Probably not on the level of the Human Vanguard or Asari Adept, but not too far off.
What's the purpose of chain overload? To deal with multiple enemies? Going by their descriptions it seems like Damage would be better for taking down those elite units?

Cat Party

Can't get mine to show up and I've re-downloaded the BF3 online pass twice. Is it PC only or is something wrong (PS3 version here)?

360 here. I didn't do anything special to get it. I just fired up the game and it was there the first time I went to multiplayer.

For all those getting kicked from lobbies, are you watching what games you're entering? For some reason the default is "Any Difficulty", which leads to lots of newcomers ending up in Silver and Gold lobbies. And if you get kicked, it's nothing personal... I'm 98% positive it's because you accidentally entered a difficulty you're not prepared for yet.

I will never kick a Level 1 anything in bronze lobbies but I *will* immediately kick low level characters in Silver/Gold lobbies. The exceptions would be low level characters with high level N7 levels (for example, a Level 5 with an N7 level in the 50's).

So for all new players when they enter lobbies... immediately check the top bar to see what difficulty level the host set it at. If it's silver or gold, please leave and set your search to Bronze.

What's the purpose of chain overload? To deal with multiple enemies? Going by their descriptions it seems like Damage would be better for taking down those elite units?

Yeah, with chain, you get the full damage on your target, but then your shot jumps up to 2 times (there are two separate levels to purchase, 4 & 6 I believe) dealing 40% of your max damage to those targets within 8 meters.

On elite units alone, sure, the damage upgrade is probably better. But you're rarely faced with such a scenario. Usually elite units are surrounded by others. Chain Overload is perfect for crowd control, since you're hitting multiple targets at a time.

For all those posting their XBL's, friend GAFME3

And then just look at it's profile friends to see all the gaffers there. That's what I do. And I just invite spam 4 people currently on that and that's it. Way too many individual posts and xbl tag listings to put down.

Top Bottom