• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

That thread in OT about how iPhone 8 is literally the fastest phone of all time and it jumped to light speed and conquered the universe is one of the funniest things ever. Apple fans are really frightening.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Hey, AndroidGAF. I'm thinking it's about time to replace my old Nexus 5. Looking at some cheaper phones to last me for the next year or two.

Between the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active and the Moto G5S+, what would you recommend? Anything else worth looking at in the $200-$300 price range?

NeOak

When they said speed tests I was thinking LTE, not CPU benchmarks.

They disable most of the advanced stuff in the Qualcomm modem of the CDMA versions.

A11 is CPU, and you know this.

The shit Intel modem they use is bad, and then they crap on the Snapdragon X16 to make it similar in speed and lack of capabilities with the Intel modem.

Ain't getting full "Gigabit" LTE on the iPhone 8/X when they neuter the Snapdragon X16.

No overcast on Android!? This sucks. WhatsApp is so much better on iOS and now this. Aaah.

What's the best podcast aggregator app for Android?

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out now.

How is WhatsApp better on iOS?

And yeah, it's Pocket Casts. Best Podcast app I've ever used.
Two things I miss:
1) swipe to reply to a specific message, much smoother than clicking then hitting reply
2) control over downloading content, unless I can't find the options on Android you can't view an image in the app without saving it to your phone which is just really annoying

Two things I miss:
1) swipe to reply to a specific message, much smoother than clicking then hitting reply
2) control over downloading content, unless I can't find the options on Android you can't view an image in the app without saving it to your phone which is just really annoying

Oh, that's really good. It's pretty annoying how Android handles messages in general. Like there's no way to copy just a part of a message im any messaging app I've used so far, be it SMS, WhatsApp or Telegram. It's so weird. At least Telegram has better options for pictures.

Zapages

Hey guys,

I was wondering is there reliable seller that sells batteries for Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-I777 (AT&T)...

I am trying to find one, but I am worried about fakes out there.

This is for my Father and we use it as a spare phone, but the battery is shot. :\

Any advice y'all?

reKon

Banned
That thread in OT about how iPhone 8 is literally the fastest phone of all time and it jumped to light speed and conquered the universe is one of the funniest things ever. Apple fans are really frightening.

I shouldn't have bothered commenting, lol.

Whelp, day 3 in Apple land and my most missed feature is multi window app support, I miss having music and gps on the same screen while driving.

There's still no multi app support for the phones with bigger screens in iOS 11?

Did you say in the Apple thread that Android won't be missed? Why are you here then?? 😂😂😂

I said it in the heat of the moment sense I was still super pissed at my pixel at the time, so far it’s the only feature I wish I still had but overall I’m enjoying my 8 a lot more than I enjoyed my pixel.

And I’m here because I used to post here regularly and still do when I want to talk about something android related lol.

Jeffrey

I shouldn't have bothered commenting, lol.

There's still no multi app support for the phones with bigger screens in iOS 11?
Not on phones lol. It's always been my biggest problem. Iphone cpu are powerful as ultrabooks, give users options to do wild stuff. Actual background processesing. Splitscreen. Picture in picture etc.

I said it in the heat of the moment sense I was still super pissed at my pixel at the time, so far it’s the only feature I wish I still had but overall I’m enjoying my 8 a lot more than I enjoyed my pixel.

And I’m here because I used to post here regularly and still do when I want to talk about something android related lol.

Lol I'm just yanking your chain. But it is disappointing when people tend to shit on Android for mistakes that Apple kind of gets away with.

What are you enjoying so far from your 8, if you don't mine me asking? I could upgrade since it doesn't hurt to just have it but I'm holding out until the pixel unveil to see if it's worth upgrading to.

Lol I'm just yanking your chain. But it is disappointing when people tend to shit on Android for mistakes that Apple kind of gets away with.

What are you enjoying so far from your 8, if you don't mine me asking? I could upgrade since it doesn't hurt to just have it but I'm holding out until the pixel unveil to see if it's worth upgrading to.

The OS just feels more cohesive so far, my first time with iMessage too so it’s just been fun communicating. Also I use the built in screen recording a lot so far. My mom also got an iPad and it’s been a godsend for helping her set it up. Overall it’s just been easier to get things done on this phone vs my pixel.

kaiyo

The bar has been set for camera phones

Just damn at some of the photos taken in that review. I knew this camera was going to be crazy, lol. Literally the only thing I care about on those phones.

did they out pay OnePlus on the check?

Well, they did change their protocol to include bokeh effect.

So iphone 8 got a top camera louder stereo speakers fast charging and wireless charging.

X will bring the funky screen.

Feel like the smartphone universe is converging.

Android needs to step up on speaker though. Hope the stereo setup rumors are true for pixel... But im not a fan of shit being either stereo speakers or headphones jack.

And yeah Sony, wish theirs was louder though.

The XZ1 is louder then previous Xperias.

Edit:
XZ Premium vs iPhone 8+ speed test

https://youtu.be/vtVfffQFiTE

So you had a Pixel and you blame Android for the problems you had?

Actually...you would be right.

Next time get Samsung.

The OS just feels more cohesive so far, my first time with iMessage too so it’s just been fun communicating. Also I use the built in screen recording a lot so far. My mom also got an iPad and it’s been a godsend for helping her set it up. Overall it’s just been easier to get things done on this phone vs my pixel.

Hmmm, your definition here is definitely interesting. I'm not going to harp so much on it but cohesive is a word that kind of shocks me but at the same time, I guess different strokes for different folks.

Imo, while the OS is smooth and really not difficult to navigate, not being able to change defaults, having a crappy notification system and then having bad widgets isn't very cohesive to me. If you aren't using Apple stuff, then it's pretty much hard to get around in that aspect. But that's just my stuff....

I am curious to know what you couldn't do on your pixel that you can do much better on the iPhone....that is actually what I'm interested in if you don't mind.

Quasar

Whelp, day 3 in Apple land and my most missed feature is multi window app support, I miss having music and gps on the same screen while driving.

Being a fence sitter (longtime android and ipad user) the big things for me is google integrations and assistant and with lastpass it integrates into apps. Also much better notifications. and the app drawer. God I hate having to have a dump folder on my iPad just for apps I can't get rid of or rarely use but want to keep installed.

Never even tried iMessage/Facetime purely because its not cross platform.

Hmmm, your definition here is definitely interesting. I'm not going to harp so much on it but cohesive is a word that kind of shocks me but at the same time, I guess different strokes for different folks.

Imo, while the OS is smooth and really not difficult to navigate, not being able to change defaults, having a crappy notification system and then having bad widgets isn't very cohesive to me. If you aren't using Apple stuff, then it's pretty much hard to get around in that aspect. But that's just my stuff....

I am curious to know what you couldn't do on your pixel that you can do much better on the iPhone....that is actually what I'm interested in if you don't mind.
Nothing more cohesive than copying and pasting data to transport it between applications.

Well honestly it works well with the way I used android to begin with. I only used widgets on one page and all of them have a decent equivalent for iPhone. Also I enjoy the quick settings more, even if that is a more iOS 11 thing, and the apps I use regularly all seem better on iPhone so far. I’m actually one of those weirdos who still used Snapchat and it’s much smoother on iOS. Also iMessage has been great for communicating with my friends who have iPhones and I really like the camera so far. Cohesive might not be the right word, but it’s definitely curated. Not being able to change default apps is annoying, but I haven’t really tried to switch any of them besides google play music. Essentially it has it’s quirks like android does. If you value customization and freedom I wouldn’t switch, I used to be more like that, but the customization eventually lost it’s appeal to me because I stopped really using it.

Nothing more cohesive than copying and pasting data to transport it between applications.

Not sure what you mean, I had to do the same on android?

jm89

Can't wait for oreo, 18 hours my phone was kept awake by google play services draining battery like crazy. Haven't installed any new apps recently so no idea what caused the wake lock. Fuck off with that shit.

Well honestly it works well with the way I used android to begin with. I only used widgets on one page and all of them have a decent equivalent for iPhone. Also I enjoy the quick settings more, even if that is a more iOS 11 thing, and the apps I use regularly all seem better on iPhone so far. I’m actually one of those weirdos who still used Snapchat and it’s much smoother on iOS. Also iMessage has been great for communicating with my friends who have iPhones and I really like the camera so far. Cohesive might not be the right word, but it’s definitely curated. Not being able to change default apps is annoying, but I haven’t really tried to switch any of them besides google play music. Essentially it has it’s quirks like android does. If you value customization and freedom I wouldn’t switch, I used to be more like that, but the customization eventually lost it’s appeal to me because I stopped really using it.

Not sure what you mean, I had to do the same on android?

Fair enough. I can't really say that I'll ever get tired of customization because I love to be clean and organized but some find the iOS look much better. But if you like it, I guess that's all that matters. Kudos

Ty4on

Can't wait for oreo, 18 hours my phone was kept awake by google play services draining battery like crazy. Haven't installed any new apps recently so no idea what caused the wake lock. Fuck off with that shit.
Something is corrupted, do a factory reset.

I had a similar issue with a borked 5.0 install. A lot of stuff didn't work either because of it. Can't remember what they all were, but I think Google play didn't work at all so I couldn't install any apps or update them.

this_guy

Thinking about getting the Essential phone. I wouldn't buy it at $700, but Sprint is offering it for half off on their flex lease program (which you can buy out at the end of the lease). For under $400 it looks like a nice phone albeit with a sub par camera (although the Google Pixel camera app that's been ported is supposed to improve things).

Ernest

Banned
Does anyone know how to access the info that's on a sim card (Galaxy S6), in order to delete stuff?

I Googled, and the only info I could find was how to physically access the sim card, which I know, or how to delete texts that are saved on the sim card, which I don't have any on. There's no info as to how to access the simcard directly and see exactly what is on it. Is that even possible?

Gran Puma

Neo Member
Thinking about getting the Essential phone. I wouldn't buy it at $700, but Sprint is offering it for half off on their flex lease program (which you can buy out at the end of the lease). For under $400 it looks like a nice phone albeit with a sub par camera (although the Google Pixel camera app that's been ported is supposed to improve things).

I went with the same deal. The final purchase price is $475 if I remember correctly. I really like the phone but with all the things to watch out for (ear piece screen coming out, back panel lifting, and possible wifi/cell reception issues) I recommend ordering online and picking it up at a store to look it over. The battery life has been very good especially coming from a Nexus 6/6p and the hand feel is amazing with the ceramic back. With the Sprint deal I can over look the phone's short comings.

this_guy

I went with the same deal. The final purchase price is $475 if I remember correctly. I really like the phone but with all the things to watch out for (ear piece screen coming out, back panel lifting, and possible wifi/cell reception issues) I recommend ordering online and picking it up at a store to look it over. The battery life has been very good especially coming from a Nexus 6/6p and the hand feel is amazing with the ceramic back. With the Sprint deal I can over look the phone's short comings.

Thanks for the heads up about all the issues. Not really sure I want to deal with all of that with a company that I'm not sure will be around in the next few years.

How do you mean? I'm listening to an episode on my phone that I started earlier on the web app and the progress synced right over.

When I jump onto the browser version, it'll have a bunch of other episodes listed that I've already listened to and removed from my phone. Most times, it'll have my progress on most episodes, but even then, they don't all sync right.

Gran Puma

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up about all the issues. Not really sure I want to deal with all of that with a company that I'm not sure will be around in the next few years.

If you had a Nexus 4 or 5 it reminds me of the same type of shortcomings an owner had to deal with. If you are willing to go on XDA and do some user fixes it's not bad phone. Just way overpriced in my opinion without the Sprint deal and even then I went back and forth for 3 weeks. I wish Google would release more Android One phones in the USA without the Fi purchase requirement.

Top Bottom