• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to go outside during a Solar Eclipse? [Up: OP survived!!!! :D]

My dad is being super paranoid and is basically locking me in the house. I don't see any government warnings or closings of stores or business or anything, so I don't think it's going to be a dangerous thing to do. Fwiw, I live in the Toronto area.

DuffDry

The only risk you face is looking directly at the sun without the proper eyewear.

Don't look directly at the sun without proper eyewear.

G.ZZZ

If you're a flat-earther, an eclipse is probably the most dangerous thing that you could witness for your psiche.

Beside that, lizardmen aren't that dangerous. It's mostly prejudice.

Yeah. You got to watch out for the Cthulhian monstrosities that come out when the veil between reality and insanity is breached due to the effect of the eclipse weakening the earths ley lines.

That's not even counting the fact that during an eclipse, it's part of Satan's deal with God that he's allowed to let his demons attack the mortal realms whilst the eclipse is going on.

So yeah, it's a total clusterfuck out there.

Yes it's safe outside during an eclipse, what is your dad smoking?

edit: Damn, took too long writing this that everyone beat me to it with Lizardmen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not safe outside, but that just gives you all the more reason to stay inside and try to plant your child into your partner during the apex of the eclipse.

Make sure both of you are wearing severed goat heads while doing it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
OP you might want to have someone look into your dad's behavior. A family member maybe. Also how old are you/he?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why is your dad doing that? Is he terribly superstitious? I am truly ashamed to say that during the last eclipse, in my country they’ve issued a health warning over public media for people to stay indoors and close the curtain, etc. it was the time of media being used to spread fear and control people for other, politica reasons, so this was like a weird exercise for them to see how effective they are. I’m even more sad to say that it worked incredibly well. Streets were nearly deserted, even in large cities.

I'm jealous as fuck I can't see the eclipse from my part of the world...

You better go out and experience it OP, but look out for vamps and lizpeeps!

No, not unless you are ready to harness the dark powers the eclipse will be bestowing upon us today to fight the lizardmen.

HeySeuss

The Chitari and Thanos are using the moon's shadow to secretly invade Earth. Seek shelter in a bunker as it's the only way to be safe

Real-talk here: It's just the sun being covered a bit. For you the effect shouldn't be much worse than a cloud in the sky.

...If Planet X shows up during the event you know I was wrong.

I don't plan on staying inside. In fact, I plan to run across the country staring straight at it the entire way through. I can get away with this without any problems because...

hCECkHV.gif

Koren

Just don't stare at it without wearing glasses
Not regular glasses, btw. Actual specific glasses to look at the Sun (even welder's mask doesn't suffice, even less all those "home" solutions).

Though technically, when it's *actual 100%*, you could look at it without anything. Be really, really cautious, in any case, you can't replace you eyes.

Being in a total eclipse was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life. It was amazing to see the shadow move across the Earth and feel the temperature drop.

Don't look directly at the sun but be outside to experience it fully.

El Topo

Wait the Molepeople are coming too? Shit, this is gonna be one heck of a shindig.

THE EARTH IS OURS! WE WILL CRUSH YOU LIKE WE CRUSH THE DELICIOUS EARTHWORMS! WHEN THE HUMANS ARE BUSY LOOKING AT THE SKY THE GROUND WILL BE THEIR DOWNFALL!

Trickster

I wouldn't take the risk OP, I heard strange things happen during an eclipse. People just stopping in the streets and looking into the sky, I heard it's because aliens are uploading orders into their minds

Top Bottom