• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
ZUx2ukL.jpg

A lost boy. A government lab steeped in terrible secrets. A mother who won't rest until her son is found.

Release date: Hits Netflix on July 15th.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag any (spoiler) discussion for two weeks. And make sure to label your spoiler discussion. (i.e. Episode 5:
I wasn't expecting E.T. to pop out.

Links:

Reviews:

• Deadline:

Launching on July 15 on Netflix, the Winona Ryder-led eight-episode Stranger Things is nothing if not a surprising, sometimes scary, moving and successful homage to the era of Spielberg’s ET and the 1980s themselves — as well as the films of the great John Carpenter.

Enlisting the reluctant help of the weary local police chief, portrayed by a wonderfully grizzled David Harbour of The Newsroom pus her eldest son Jonathan, played by a great Charlie Heaton, and a trio of her youngest sons’ pals (Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin), Ryder’s Joyce Byers soon discovers, as one does in these type of things, that much more is going on. Add to that a mysterious 11-year-old girl, played by a truly marvelous Millie Brown, government experiments, Matthew Modine, mixtapes, some Joy Division and more and I think you will be absorbed in the show as I was – even if you didn’t grow up in the Reagan Era.
  • Gizmodo:

Stranger Things—an eight-part Netflix series that debuts July 15—is set in the 1980s and is heavily influenced by Stephen King and Steven Spielberg works of the era, including E.T., Firestarter, It, Stand By Me, and Poltergeist. Heavily, heavily influenced. Is that a bad thing? Certainly not when it’s this much fun to watch.

This familiarity is a deliberate choice. The Duffer Brothers (whose previous credits include writing episodes of Wayward Pines) wrote and directed nearly every episode with the goal of crafting “a love letter to the cult classics of the ’80s,” according to Netflix’s official description. The nostalgia factor is huge: the retro theme music and soundtrack choices, carefully-chosen props and decor, nerdy pop-culture references—even the casting of 1980s and 1990s icon Winona Ryder as Will’s frantic mother has throwback appeal.

The biggest reason is that Stranger Things is so entertaining that it’s totally worth the time commitment, because believe me you will be mainlining the whole thing once it hooks you in. The characters are especially well-drawn, no small feat when most of them are around 12 years old. Will’s buddies, especially Finn Wolfhard (who’ll next be seen in the new It adaptation) as sensitive Mike, feel like real kids. They talk shit, they worry about when to go to the police or their parents, and they make plenty of stupid mistakes and naively dangerous decisions.
  • IGN:

The love for the works of Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter and Stephen King (among others) is impossible not to feel watching Stranger Things and if you share in that love, this show has a lot to grab you from the start. The Duffer Brothers have done a rather amazing job of combining the differing tones of the likes of Spielberg and Carpenter and making it all feel at home together, as the show goes from moments of wonder to moments of terror, all anchored by a very likeable group of kids. The show’s notable weakness is in regards to the explanation of all of these crazy events – the more it goes on, the more it feels like some very entertaining but somewhat unrelated events are occurring and the revelations by the end aren't a big enough payoff, even taking into account that future seasons would no doubt delve into more of what was going on here. Still, Stranger Things is an easy recommendation, offering viewers an atmospheric and endearing series that is a nostalgic throwback without feeling like a simple copy.

Cast:

CpZGvJQ.jpg

Winona Ryder as Joyce, David Harbour as Chief Hopper, Finn Wolfhard as Mike

Jh66Mvm.jpg

Matthew Modine as Dr. Martin Brenner, Cara Buono as Karen, Millie Brown as Eleven

S3m7DHp.jpg

Caleb McLaughlin as Lucas, Noah Schnapp as Will, Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin

LaI9uR8.jpg

Peyton Wich as Troy Harrington, Natalia Dyer as Nancy, Charlie Heaton as Jonathan

Promo photos:

I'm surprised the OT is up so early. It made me hope that the first episode had gone up early or something.

Can't wait.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ahh ok. That poster is to Star Wars-y for my tastes. I think the original one is better.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really want this to be great. Not just good but I want it to be one of Netflix's flagship shows. I'm very excited for it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nice reviews and I didnt know it was "only" 8 episodes, I expected the usual netflix 13

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm all in! Loved that first trailer and now i can't wait to check this out.

The 15th is going to be a pretty big day... This show hits netflix, Ghostbusters 2016 hits theaters (yeah, going to see it, nothing stands in my way -- reviews be damned!), and Star Wars Celebration London kicks off... which is all going to be livestreamed on youtube (panels, trailers, interviews, etc.)

Gah... so much!

I watched Midnight Special and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial over the weekend without realizing Stranger Things was dropping Friday. You could say I accidentally hyped myself for it.

Netflix recommendations are trash since they started making content. No matter what I watch right now it kicks me to a stranger things commercial.

You watched an indie romantic comedy from the Netherlands? You should check out The Do-Over, starring Adam Sandler.

Elandyll

Banned
I am very excited for this, but waiting for it I decided to give "Between" Season 2 a go, after having been very disappointed by Season 1 last year (what can I say, I'm a sucker for apocalyptic/ survival shows, even if no Zombies).
God.. if anything, it's even worse this time around. The acting and dialogues went even more south... and I keep watching in a morbid state of curiosity to know how the f*ing thing will end.

Stranger Things cannot come fast enough :)

-griffy-

Banned
Alan Sepinwall liked it:
The market for nostalgia is so robust that Stranger Things probably could have gotten away with parading a bunch of '80s actors and references across the screen with minimal effort and creativity beyond that. But the series ultimately succeeds as something more than just a tribute act, even if it'll surely help if you're the type who gets excited when Dustin asks Eleven
if she can use her powers to make Mike's toy Millennium Falcon fly like the genuine article.

So this unlocks at midnight? I'm not familiar with how Netflix releases their shows as I usually catch them a few days after the fact.

Looking forward to this even though I'm not sure I'm prepared for Winona's "acting".

Cara Buono is in this??

I wonder if any monsters would already RATHER be bowhunting, because she's gonna break their FUCKIN legs.

#KickingAndScreaming
#NetflixReboot

Top Bottom