• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ice Cube's BIG3 (3v3 pro league for retired NBA players) starts airing June 26 on FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Week 5 on the schedule updated, it'll be at UIC Pavilion in Chicago.

First week's games will air on FS1 Monday, June 26 at 8:00 PM Eastern.

Jerm411

Games happening now and are tape delayed for tomorrow (ugh) and results being spoiled all over social media......awesome.

Hype down the drain....

pissed_off_house_of_cards.gif

Have a feeling this will be a big bust but we will see if they can keep it going.

Whether it survives depends entirely on if they can put out an entertaining product beyond the initial novelty of seeing old ass dudes ball up again.

Not having it live seems like such a short sighted step in an age where twitter exists.

Whether it survives depends entirely on if they can put out an entertaining product beyond the initial novelty of seeing old ass dudes ball up again.

Not having it live seems like such a short sighted step in an age where twitter exists.

Well that seems really dumb and yeah but not enough big names in the mix either. We need some rodman, pippen, shaq or equally big names in the overall mix.

It's fun to see how an oak at this age can play but it may be a sad event too... Interesting though for sure so in this respect I really hope it can keep going and bring in bigger names overall.

In the age of YT they need to get this aspect right for sure.....

Well that seems really dumb and yeah but not enough big names in the mix either. We need some rodman, pippen, shaq or equally big names in the overall mix.

It's fun to see how an oak at this age can play but it may be a sad event too... Interesting though for sure so in this respect I really hope it can keep going and bring in bigger names overall.

those guys have too much self-respect to participate. Though Cube talked about trying to get Shaq for season 2. I can't imagine it's even possible for Shaq to get in shape at this point in his life.

those guys have too much self-respect to participate. Though Cube talked about trying to get Shaq for season 2. I can't imagine it's even possible for Shaq to get in shape at this point in his life.

he is gaining weight fast honestly, he looks a lot bigger from even last year

I just hope those guys will come as Pippen looks like he could really play, they like basketball so just hope some of them will give it a go. If you can get one in more will follow at least.

he is gaining weight fast honestly, he looks a lot bigger from even last year

it's not that surprising. It was hard enough for him to stay in shape in his late 20s/early 30s, and that was when he was younger and being in shape was part of his job. Now he is old and has nothing to do all day. I worry about his health sometimes. Dude is gigantic.

it's not that surprising. It was hard enough for him to stay in shape in his late 20s/early 30s, and that was when he was younger and being in shape was part of his job. Now he is old and has nothing to do all day. I worry about his health sometimes. Dude is gigantic.

I sadly keep expecting a heart attack or some other issue from his size and likely eating habits that he talks about.

Shaq was only motivated enough... while he was playing. I remember him saying something to the effect that offseason was vacation, why should I have to stay in shape or workout then? That's what the regular season was for. LOL

megalowho

Just heading out from this now, was a good time. Bunch of NBA folks showed up - Harden, Pierce, Jalen Rose. Players took it seriously, couple of hype finishes, Stephen Jackson doin Stephen Jackson things.

Could definitely tighten up the proceedings, little too much downtime. 6 hours is a big ask, crowd was filtering out by the last game. Interested to see how it's cut for TV.

FinKL

Pretty sure it's 3 hours cut on TV, Which I though was long but forgot there's 4 games playing.

As I recall the reason why it's taped is because this is their first time doing it so they want to make sure everything is right and goes smoothly. They didn't want their debut season to leave a bad impression if the show didn't go according to plan, long pauses, and anything else that might pop up

The REAL tragedy is how you gonna have the tv program air AT THE SAME TIME as the NBA Awards?! Huge oversight they missed.

DerekNYC

Went to the opener today at Barclays. Good time, but as someone else said, 6 hours is a hell of a long time to sit watching basketball. Play was pretty sloppy, some key injuries which are certainly a bummer and good be a big problem going forward. Also, very little playing time for AI and none for Oakley - wonder if their "Player/Coach" titles are mostly for show.

megalowho

Went to the opener today at Barclays. Good time, but as someone else said, 6 hours is a hell of a long time to sit watching basketball. Play was pretty sloppy, some key injuries which are certainly a bummer and good be a big problem going forward. Also, very little playing time for AI and none for Oakley - wonder if their "Player/Coach" titles are mostly for show.
Yea I don't know why Oak got the Player/Coach tag, he was wearing a suit. At least it's true for AI, and from a bball perspective the squad he had in the second half played better defense than when he was on the court and got back in the game. I get it from a coaching standpoint, but from an exhibition standpoint with AI as the main attraction I'm sure some folks were disappointed.

Speaking of coaches, Gary Payton is the man. Amped up and into it, fun to watch on the sidelines.

blakep267

What? Who thought this was a good idea?
It's probably going to be given a 30 minute to hour slot per game on FS1. So they'll edit the boring parts into a standard 22 or 40+ minute show then add commercials

Think back to when ESPN 2 did the And1 mixtape tour. That way it can be rerun etc

It's probably going to be given a 30 minute to hour slot per game on FS1. So they'll edit the boring parts into a standard 22 or 40+ minute show then add commercials

Think back to when ESPN 2 did the And1 mixtape tour. That way it can be rerun etc

That's what I was afraid of. Makes the whole thing feel fake.

Allforce

So this comes on Monday but the games were played on Sunday? I am interested but this seems like a weirdo thing to do.

I was a little confused as well, because as someone who doesn't have cable and only OTA the only sports on today were:

NBC - Olympic qualifying Track & Field (wtf?)
ABC - The MOUNTAIN DEW EXTREEEEME Long Beach EXTREEEEME sports festival (skateboarding and whatnot)
CBS - Non-major PGA golf tournament
Fox - Infomercials

This could have easily garnered more interest on a Sunday afternoon that those previous 3 options, ESPECIALLY since Fox didn't even air ANY sports, just shitty informercials all afternoon.

But then I read this and it makes a ton of sense since it's a new league and shit could have gone sideways fast on a live feed:

As I recall the reason why it's taped is because this is their first time doing it so they want to make sure everything is right and goes smoothly. They didn't want their debut season to leave a bad impression if the show didn't go according to plan, long pauses, and anything else that might pop up

They gotta know this isn't ideal but to work the kinks out and hopefully get to a well-oiled live broadcast machine they have to do it this way for awhile and hope the interest slowly gathers. Then we should get live games on TV at least in some capacity (likely cable like FS1 but maybe one day Fox, I mean it's better than Track & Field on a Sunday afternoon in June)

Iverson apparently told the crowd not to expect him to play much. He finished 1-6 for two points. Fans at some point apparently started booing the terrible play.

Feels like the big name guys were used to sell the fans a bill of goods.

This might be the new XFL.

Cracklox

This seems like a really good idea, but if recent posts are anything to go by, then pretty poorly executed. Sports like golf and tennis have similar things, but the WTA and PGA are both involved with those, and they seem to do pretty well for what they are as an extension to the game. I guess the NBA don't have any inclination to do something similar

Still, might have to find a way to tune in to see what shenanigans the likes of Ricky Davis and Stephen Jackson get up to. And whys Glove only coaching and not playing? I'm sure he could still go round

This might be the new XFL.

Nah.

Whatever happens I don't think it'll be as spectacularly bad as that whole situation ended up

natjjohn

Just peeked in. Agree with poster above in the camera placements are terrible. Haven't seen a traditional basketball camera placement yet... doesn't make sense. That's how you watch basketball.

Play is sloppy but that was expected since who knows how often these guys have played together, played at all. Assume the coaching is just a veneer for show which also contributes to the play

JoeFu

Banned
Pretty entertaining so far. Fun seeing these guys again, but also really sad lol. Just gonna check it out til the NBA awards show I guess

I don't get why this is on a 1 day delay.... They haven't really cut anything and there are still those stupid instant replays that make us miss game time. Also Bibby is super trash

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any harsh rules on flopping? I don't want a 1:1 with NBA when it comes to flopping.

JoeFu

Banned
oh man,
NBA CHAMPION
D-Steve with that game winner. Really contemplating going to the Dallas showing just to show some love to that man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom