• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

brerwolfe

Not at all. An average player that upgrades from TaylorMade to Titleist is still an average player. A person that can't put spin on a Pinnacle ball won't magically be able to put spin on a ProV1
An average player with a $1000 set of irons and $500 driver will have the possibility of hitting it further/straighter than an average player using irons and driver picked up at a pawn shop. Better grooves, better shafts, better tech on the face allowing for larger sweet spots, better grips for less slippage, better shoes for less slippage. I can go on and on.

And an average player that's able to put a little spin on a pinnacle will put the same spin on a ProV1, but with better results because of the texture of the ball. Better balls have softer, "stickier" shells that allow the ball to grab the club face and, as a result, grab the grass and react.

hort22

anyhow...asked awhile back with no response but is anyone playing without a psn+ subscription...how much of the game is unplayable that way?

An average player with a $1000 set of irons and $500 driver will have the possibility of hitting it further/straighter than an average player using irons and driver picked up at a pawn shop. Better grooves, better shafts, better tech on the face allowing for larger sweet spots, better grips for less slippage, better shoes for less slippage. I can go on and on.

And an average player that's able to put a little spin on a pinnacle will put the same spin on a ProV1, but with better results because of the texture of the ball. Better balls have softer, "stickier" shells that allow the ball to grab the club face and, as a result, grab the grass and react.

Sorta kinda. I think the effect is more pronounced in digital golf. But the spirit of your comment is the same. If you're playing golf with friends and having fun, who cares about being the best player day one. Have fun, learn the courses and worry about being the best when you're on even ground.

Now can we get back to someone digging in and confirming other shot types aren't tucked away somewhere? I'm in tears over here for chrissake

surrogate

It seem like it is going to be a pain in the ass to level up the clubs evenly. On the stream I'm watching, the player's 1W is 284 yds, but his 3W is 208 yds.

Just going off my real life experience with myself and my golf buddies. That's all I can go on. I went from TaylorMade R9's to Titleist AP1's and I'm still shooting around 77-79 a round. I just wanted new clubs. Same for my friends that I play with. Their handicaps didn't budge.

I get what you are saying though. It's just not a good analogy since it's so cut and dry in a game because of numbered stats instead of actual skill of playing in real life.

-NeoTB1-

So hyped to have this series back. I just retired Hot Shots on the Vita not long ago. After my great experience in the beta, it's time to go all-in on this new game.

JonnyB

Banned
Reviews are out tonight.

I have so much to say about this game as a long time Hot Shots Golf fan. I think I've been playing this series since 1999. I know Fore! was my second game, at least, and I put hundreds of hours into it.

ElNino

Just going off my real life experience with myself and my golf buddies. That's all I can go on. I went from TaylorMade R9's to Titleist AP1's and I'm still shooting around 77-79 a round. I just wanted new clubs. Same for my friends that I play with. Their handicaps didn't budge.

I get what you are saying though. It's just not a good analogy since it's so cut and dry in a game because of numbered stats instead of actual skill of playing in real life.
I'd say buying expensive clubs meant for better players in "real" golf will usually be worse for the average golfer since they will typically magnify any mistakes they make. And for the record, shooting sub-80s would make you far better than the average golfer.

I'll wait and see how these micro transactions affect the multi player before deciding whether to buy it or not. A good player is not a good player if people can buy their way to the top.

Sounds like MMO.

I'll buy the game mainly for the single player anyway.

Reviews are out tonight.

I have so much to say about this game as a long time Hot Shots Golf fan. I think I've been playing this series since 1999. I know Fore! was my second game, at least, and I put hundreds of hours into it.

Can't wait.

Reviews are out tonight.

Has it lived up to its legacy?

brerwolfe

Only trying to put the analogy on the same playing field. You're going from one top brand to another top brand. I'm sure you'd play better with a top brand/model after coming from a Sports Authority starter set (after some adjustment)

Just to be clear, I don't care if anyone uses real money to buy digital clubs so they can play better, I just wanna play the game. It's not like you can press X and the ball goes straight to the hole, so what do I care? Just a funny concern some folks in the thread have.

Looking forward to getting the game and competing with a bunch of you talented and/or untalented golfers.

Griss

For your average mid-handicapper like me (I'm 16 handicap, basically your typical local player) equipment means next to nothing so long as it was made by a reputable company in the last 10 years. I can rent the new Taylor Made M2 set from my club and play essentially the exact same as if I use my brother's ancient set of Titleists he bought for about 150 dollars including the bag. Personally I'm still running second hand Taylor Made Burner 2.0's, again I play the exact same as with the other sets. The biggest difference between sets to me by far is
a) Launch angle on the driver, and
b) What clubs you actually have in your bag, in particular what set of wedge angles your set has. I recently swapped out my 5-wood for a 4th wedge as it matters more to me, for example.

As for balls I've used Pro V1s, standard Taylor-Mades and I've used the no-name shit you'll find lost in the woods, again I see essentially no difference in how far the ball travels off the tee (and I use a Garmin S3 to measure my drives with my typical distance being 260-280 yards) or how it reacts when biting on the green from a pure wedge shot with a bit of spin.

I'm sure that once you get down to scratch or pro play it starts to matter more, but for the vast, vast majority of people, golf equipment is pay to enter but not pay to win. You can't buy your way to a better score.

Even if equipment was the differentiating factor in real life, I still don't think it would excuse predatory microtransaction practices in a game.

kdoll08

anyhow...asked awhile back with no response but is anyone playing without a psn+ subscription...how much of the game is unplayable that way?

Honestly Hort I don't know. The game definitely has online components so i would think you would need PS+ for everything but the offline single player but I don't know. Maybe someone that got the game early can answer.

Steroyd

You're assuming only unskilled players buy superior clubs and gear. This is false.

This Everybody's Golf game evidently relies heavily on gamification - there's online leaderboards abound, you see other players around you taking shots, it's inherently competitive. If you're trying to do your best and one-up other players you're definitely going to be upgrading your gear.

I do mind, because it fundamentally changes the game's balance in an online and social-centric game, the game itself has been built around these microtransactions to lessen the grind. Their existence implies a grind to be competitive with other players (who have the same gear stats, not in terms of skill) exists in the first place.

But what would you consider more of a grind compared to previous games or a competitive edge in terms of stats. From what I've seen each individual club has it's own level stats so someone's 5 iron might be better than the other person's 3 iron, so off the bat it's already more grindy if you're looking to max everything compared to previous games, unless you're basing everything completely off the initial drive.

I'm not too concerned about the balance a max level beginner character would always have better abilities and further drives than a level 1 beginner character with things like homing shot etc which wouldn't be unlocked unless they used that character in previous games and there's a condor trophy, I would like to think that hole in one-ing a par 5 can be done without buying anything.

Ostinatto

Why people are saying that is gonna be a pain to level up the characters and clubs?
You'll have to play the game to level up, why you call that a pain?

Why people are saying that is gonna be a pain to level up the characters and clubs?

I think people are talking about the level up system itself. Since you are leveling individual clubs only when they get used, get ready for a grind. That brings up the question, is there more of a grind implemented to entice microtransaction sales? I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be the first game to have ridiculous grind to level because of the addition of microtransactions.

I really don't know. I'm still waiting for answers like everyone else. Just trying to answer your post.

Tanston

I think people are talking about the level up system itself. Since you are leveling individual clubs only when they get used, get ready for a grind. That brings up the question, is there more of a grind implemented to entice microtransaction sales? I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be the first game to have ridiculous grind to level because of the addition of microtransactions.

I really don't know. I'm still waiting for answers like everyone else. Just trying to answer your post.

As long as the "grind" involves playing a fun golf game then I don't really have a problem with it at all.

Can someone confirm or deny there is only one shot type (traditional) in this game? I've only seen that from one source... would be very disappointing.

Stargateheaven confirmed that he saw no option for Advance Swing(s) in his broadcast yesterday, nor any hint of it as an add-on unlockable after 10 hours of play. Another viewer in his stream (ncaa380) confirmed that he'd gotten official confirmation on NO Advanced Swings months ago.

Their information was convincing enough to convince me to cancel my pre-order. I've seen nothing since then to dispel that.

surrogate

Because you are going to level up your 1W power far quicker than the other woods and struggle to level up the control on clubs you rarely hit an approach shot with.

Not sure why there's so much surprise about microtransactions in here. Every Hot Shots game has had them from the PS3 era forward. This is not a new thing for the series.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PS4 Pro 4k Options

buNwSaRh.jpg

Are those mutually exclusive options? So no 4K and 60 FPS?

I mean, if there's a title that I'd think can be optimized to achieve that, it would be this one. Ah well.

Ostinatto

The game automatically sets the best club for every situation, you can change the club if you want to, so you will not need to think about it, just play the game the best you can, thats the best way to level up everything.

Because you are going to level up your 1W power far quicker than the other woods and struggle to level up the control on clubs you rarely hit an approach shot with.

Why even think about this, just play your best with the clubs you have. and you will level up the clubs in no time.

krae_man

Yeah leveling up control is going to be a pain for woods. For irons you can just lay up on par 5's and use the desired club in approach mode hopefully. I tried using a wood from the fringe in the beta and it wouldn't let me.

v1lla21

I thought one of the users said they could see the leaderboards and see other players online even though he had no PS+

Setzer

So with online play I can't create my own match and have X number of players join it? I have 3 friends I'm going to be playing with and we were wanting to play online together. Is this not possible? Because in previous games you could set it up this way....

Stargateheaven confirmed that he saw no option for Advance Swing(s) in his broadcast yesterday, nor any hint of it as an add-on unlockable after 10 hours of play. Another viewer in his stream (ncaa380) confirmed that he'd gotten official confirmation on NO Advanced Swings months ago.

Their information was convincing enough to convince me to cancel my pre-order. I've seen nothing since then to dispel that.

THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Bog

Junior Ace

What's Advanced? I want the 3 tap kind. Is that in?

yes...it's the 3 button press mechanic for all shots (even putting)

Thought we left that control method in the past with Tiger brand handhelds. I'll use it, but I don't have to like it!

How is the player creation? I haven't checked it out on YouTube or anything. Guess that would be a good place to start.

Thought we left that control method in the past with Tiger brand handhelds. I'll use it, but I don't have to like it!

How is the player creation? I haven't checked it out on YouTube or anything. Guess that would be a good place to start.

don't have the game yet...was just commenting on the 3 button press mechanic being in since that's already known and in videos, comments on here, etc

Setzer

It's been the same swing mechanic used in every game of the series. It hasn't changed. Sure, they've added other types of optional shot methods in later entries but the 3 button press mechanic with the horizontal meter is a staple of the series.

Bog

Junior Ace
The 3 tap mechanic makes Hot Shots a perfect video game. Similar to how people feel Tetris is the perfect puzzle game. As a mechanic, it's objectively perfect.

N° 2048

I don't know anything about golf but this looks fun.

Do I need to have golf knowledge for this or will the game explain?

BigEmil

Are those mutually exclusive options? So no 4K and 60 FPS?

I mean, if there's a title that I'd think can be optimized to achieve that, it would be this one. Ah well.
I'd say the technical team behind Clap Hanz is not the greatest so I wouldn't have thought so

Ostinatto

I don't know anything about golf but this looks fun.

Do I need to have golf knowledge for this or will the game explain?

Golf is a club and ball sport in which players use various clubs to hit balls into a series of holes on a course in as few strokes as possible.

You are good to go now.

The faces still annoy me, and I can't believe they used that outdated trailer as the intro video.
Aside from that, the club and putt leveling system seems like an extra bonus on top of the original gameplay mechanics.

Top Bottom