• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mmm, the full susser is sussed out for spring riding starting tomorrow. New set of wheels with a loud freehub, check. Flat pedals, check.

Still gotta do that 1x10 w/extender conversion one day, parts are rattling in the bits box. Gonna wait until the next chain swap.

frontieruk

It all adds up

I'm aware it adds up, but 1lb is 4x weight the saving over a Dura Ace to SiSL2 move and a few hundred £ cheaper, I'm fairly sure the maths behind it would have a clear win for losing the 1b in power efficiency for climbing.

Wasn't suggesting how he spend his money, just hinting that he could make better climbing gains through diet, but it is a nice crankset.

Sanic

I may buy a 2017 Marin San Rafael DS1. I was looking for an entry-level hybrid that was a step above "department store" bikes, and the sales rep told me this fit the bill. Thoughts? I'm actually having trouble finding much about it online.

I may buy a 2017 Marin San Rafael DS1. I was looking for an entry-level hybrid that was a step above "department store" bikes, and the sales rep told me this fit the bill. Thoughts? I'm actually having trouble finding much about it online.

Marin is a reputable brand so it's not going to be a bad bike. But I'd change two things:

1) Disc brakes are far superior to rim brakes.
2) The suspension fork at this price is fairly useless and non-repairable. When it wears it will end up being locked out and compromising the handling of your bike. A rigid fork is 100% hassle free.

Looking at the Marin catalog, the Muirwoods is what I'd go for. The spec is pretty much bombproof. On top of that it's got a cromo steel frame, which will last forever and thus give it a resale value.

HTupolev

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more energy efficient to actually drop your weight? Just dropping 1lb would have a bigger effect on your climb than the ~100g saving on the crankset unless you ride with your wallet on you...
They don't have anything to do with each other. Saving weight on the body is often a great idea, but whether you are or aren't working on saving weight on the body doesn't really have anything to do with whether it's nice to save weight on the bike.

If I'm heavier than I want to be, a pound off the bike is still a pound off the bike. If I'm already dieting, a pound off the bike is still a pound off the bike. If I'm at what I think is my ideal weight, a pound off the bike is still a pound off the bike (and at that point, I don't want to lose a pound off the body anyway).
You still get the performance benefit of losing a pound, and light bikes can have ride feels that you can't really get on heavier bikes.

Gray Matter

Hey guys, been a while since I've been in this thread. I finally got a decent roadie and have been slowly getting back into cycling and loving it more than ever.

Anyway, I want a device to connect to my phone while riding to collect data (heart rate, gps) preferably a smart watch.

Any recommendations?

If it helps I will be connecting it to my strava app on my phone.

Marin is a reputable brand so it's not going to be a bad bike. But I'd change two things:

2) The suspension fork at this price is fairly useless and non-repairable. When it wears it will end up being locked out and compromising the handling of your bike. A rigid fork is 100% hassle free.

Looking at the Marin catalog, the Muirwoods is what I'd go for. The spec is pretty much bombproof. On top of that it's got a cromo steel frame, which will last forever and thus give it a resale value.

You and I have similar outlook on bikes. I heartily endorse these insights.

Also, for the thread: I am currently running a trek and specialized retailer in the US. Happy to provide any insight that I can in regards to matters.

That said, please support your local bike shop whenever possible. :D

Hey guys, been a while since I've been in this thread. I finally got a decent roadie and have been slowly getting back into cycling and loving it more than ever.

Anyway, I want a device to connect to my phone while riding to collect data (heart rate, gps) preferably a smart watch.

Any recommendations?

If it helps I will be connecting it to my strava app on my phone.
Apple Watch is the clear choice if you have an iPhone.

I did some all terrain biking. Spring is about a month late, hence nothing is green.

HA0kSQE.jpg

mUqA5SG.jpg

Aiustis

This so much. I got a Masi road bike and it was the first road bike I ever had with disc breaks and I will never get another road bike that doesn't have disc breaks.

T8SC

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more energy efficient to actually drop your weight? Just dropping 1lb would have a bigger effect on your climb than the ~100g saving on the crankset unless you ride with your wallet on you...

I'm 7.6% body fat, not a whole lot of weight left to remove without losing lean muscle mass and I don't want to lose that and see my watts drop on a 20min FTP session (or similar). I upgraded my cassette to the PC1190 which was noticeable as it's a rotating weight, as is a chainset such as the one in question.

Mascot

I did some all terrain biking. Spring is about a month late, hence nothing is green.

Looks like a big improvement over recent weather though..!

Love that Scott of yours.

Just saw tomorrow's weather forecast so I'm DEFINITELY going to find time to head out for a blast today.

Addnan

Anyone have luck with aliexpress for sunglasses?

I bought the PHMAX cycling glasses. Which seem to be an exact knock off of jawbreakers.. I watched a video of the jawbreakers to see how to change the lens lol. I've been using them for over a month now, on long and short ride. Not a single complaint from me. £11 well spent, easily worth more. Stays on my face, is comfortable, doesn't get fogged up. what more would i want.

Mascot

Anyone have luck with aliexpress for sunglasses?

I bought a few pairs of different Oakley knockoffs a couple of years ago. They were 100% direct copies, right down to the branding, packaging, tags, colours etc. Shameless clones, and only for around £3 - £4 a pair. I don't think AliExpress sell such brazen copies any more, just very very close versions with different branding.

The only problem with these Fakelies was that the lenses were really dark. They were OK (just) in bright summer midday sun, but dangerously dark anywhere else. OK for riding to and from the woods, but useless once you got in amongst the shade of the trees.

Turned out to be a false economy for me as it rendered them pretty much useless. I keep meaning to pass them on to roadie friends who might actually get some use out of them on long exposed rides.

kottila

I bought a few pairs of different Oakley knockoffs a couple of years ago. They were 100% direct copies, right down to the branding, packaging, tags, colours etc. Shameless clones, and only for around £3 - £4 a pair. I don't think AliExpress sell such brazen copies any more, just very very close versions with different branding.

The only problem with these Fakelies was that the lenses were really dark. They were OK (just) in bright summer midday sun, but dangerously dark anywhere else. OK for riding to and from the woods, but useless once you got in amongst the shade of the trees.

Turned out to be a false economy for me as it rendered them pretty much useless. I keep meaning to pass them on to roadie friends who might actually get some use out of them on long exposed rides.

They don't advertise the brazen copies as they would get taken down immediately, but they are there. they pictures may not show them having oakely or rudyproject-logos, but they have the logos on when you receive them (for the two pairs I've bought). On my latest order, the vendor sent me a message asking me not to include pictures with reviews or mention the logos as his shop would be shut down

Edit: looks like he's been shut down already, but he's opened a different account https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...lgo_pvid=fc08bb2d-5233-40c0-8a27-16b15de754c0

Looks like a big improvement over recent weather though..!

Love that Scott of yours.

Just saw tomorrow's weather forecast so I'm DEFINITELY going to find time to head out for a blast today.

It's certainly better, although winter is set to make one last assault today with 25mm of water and sleet. After that next week will be warm and sunny. I hope.

Scott is pretty great for mtb these days. Their frames have all the mod cons, even low end models like mine. Adjustable suspension height, modular dropouts, the works.

Happy blasting!

Good to know some of you had some luck. I found "Radar EV" and "Frogskins" for $15 combined so now I'll just play the waiting game. I felt kind of shitty until I realized Oakley is part of some mega conglomerate of glasses makers.

kottila

Good to know some of you had some luck. I found "Radar EV" and "Frogskins" for $15 combined so now I'll just play the waiting game. I felt kind of shitty until I realized Oakley is part of some mega conglomerate of glasses makers.

Wore mine for the first time today. Best cycling glasses I've ever worn (haven't had any fancy before). Several of those I was riding with asked me to send them the link

Wore mine for the first time today. Best cycling glasses I've ever worn (haven't had any fancy before). Several of those I was riding with asked me to send them the link

The one brand I got are also sold on amazon, but aliexpress had more options (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...32736634844.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.UpvNvl)

I hope they end up being the ones in the pictures b/c the URL and reviews have them looking like POCs. Either way I'll wear them on the road and kind of hard to beat for $15

I don't know how you guys dare buy bootleg sunnies, because the difference in impact resistance between polycarbonate and random plastic is so huge.

kottila

I don't know how you guys dare buy bootleg sunnies, because the difference in impact resistance between polycarbonate and random plastic is so huge.

I've bought several pairs of sportsglasses from my local sports stores for the same price as from china. Why would those be much safer? The price of those glasses also have to cover shipping, distributor etc and still be profitable. Sunglasses aren't expensive to make. safety goggles cost hardly anything and they're made not to shatter

That's fine, and I'm not expecting much for the price. If they end up working just as well as others I've bought but look a little more stylish than I'll find it to be a win. It was something like $21 total for two pairs and shipping.

T8SC

I agree with jakonovski.

I'd rather spend £20 on a pair of proper glasses by any brand than £20 on fake pretend Oakleys.

Sunglasses are sunglasses, who cares if they have Oakley/Jokeley on the arms, as long as they protect my eyes from UV. Also, nobody will care what brand you wear, unless they're a brand wh-re.

In the quick looking I did there is not much different from the $20-$40 brands on Amazon or Wiggle than the ones on Aliexpress. I'm not buying them to have the logo, I'm buying them because I like the style

teepo

i bought a pair of oakleys and i'd buy another. in fact i've been in the market for some new lenses.

my eyes are too important and after having seen my grandfather go blind, i'm not risking shit

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just did a 40 mile round trip and fuck I'm drained and exhausted. Those last 12 miles were slow going with lots of extra breaks but I made it. Now my legs feel like wet noodles.

Addnan

I'm really tempted to go to Spitafields tomorrow to buy some Rapha gear.. What is wrong with me. Desperately need new bib shorts. Losing weight and it has got to the point where the old ones hang off me. Anyone here have long term experience of their core range of cycling gear. £140 for short and jersey seems ok or am I being stupid and should be looking at other brands?..

frontieruk

I'm really tempted to go to Spitafields tomorrow to buy some Rapha gear.. What is wrong with me. Desperately need new bib shorts. Losing weight and it has got to the point where the old ones hang off me. Anyone here have long term experience of their core range of cycling gear. £140 for short and jersey seems ok or am I being stupid and should be looking at other brands?..

I'm partial to Pactimo, nice fit and comfort, and excellent customer service.

HStallion

it happens. Add a third bottle to the next ride?

Yeah basically. The trail I take actually goes much farther as it runs alongside the Delaware River and a round trip going to the end is like a 65 mile round trip. It's my goal for the end of the Summer/start of Fall.

Teggy

My trainer program was 90 minutes straight today. Doesn't seem like much, but you forget how often you take coasting breaks, especially on downhills, when you are outside. Good workout.

I am still struggling mightily with sitbone pain. No matter how much padding I have naturally (and I have pretty healthy glutes from squatting and genetics if I may say so myself) or in my pants, my sit bones just drill right down to the saddle. I'm not giving up by any means, but it's really demoralizing. I guess I'll be doing so more research on saddles next. Maybe I need more padding, even though of course everything I've read says more padding limits your distance before numbness/pain might set in.

I am still struggling mightily with sitbone pain. No matter how much padding I have naturally (and I have pretty healthy glutes from squatting and genetics if I may say so myself) or in my pants, my sit bones just drill right down to the saddle. I'm not giving up by any means, but it's really demoralizing. I guess I'll be doing so more research on saddles next. Maybe I need more padding, even though of course everything I've read says more padding limits your distance before numbness/pain might set in.

FWIW everyone is uncomfortable on trainers, no matter how great your seat is there. That said, you may need a shaped saddle over a flatter saddle. This way you're "seated" into a groove and not just resting on a flat surface. Might be worth finding a bike shop that advertises multiple seat options and calling to see if they have demos.

As an example of small differences, I have 3 saddles all very similar to within 1m of profile. Two of them give me pain because of the way the shape is cut and one is just perfect. Despite noticing any difference when looking at three next to each other and laid on top of each other, there is a very uncomforting feeling when actually riding them.

The D&R Canal? :)

Oof, that canal path. I've done the portion from Trenton to Lambertville and New Hope up past Frenchtown. The New Hope side going north can suck because of all the bigger rock.

HStallion

The D&R Canal? :)

Yeah. I usually start in Trenton and ride up on the Pennsylvania side and then back on the Jersey or vice versa depending on what I feel that day. The Jersey side tends to be a bit more well maintained over longer stretches but the Penn. side is pretty good and actually a lot prettier in places, some really great views of the Delaware.

Top Bottom