• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

I disagree with your Dorado characters. Dorado is too open for Pharah and she gets focus fired pretty quickly.

Because of the sightlines It's also super easy to avoid Torb Turrets. A lot of combat takes place in the bank/vault area, and you aren't getting a good turret kill in there. You'll definitely rack up some assists though.

Pharah actually works pretty well on Chateau, and Torb on Eichenwalde.
Dorado's openness works for Pharah in the same way it works for the snipers, because it requires other players to expose themselves to move across large portions of the map. She uses her aerial skills to cross that ground more quickly, varies her flight pattern, swoops in on weakened opponents for easy kills, and unleashes her ultimate on players too caught up in their street fight to avoid the barrage of missiles coming their way. And while I have seen players call for focus fire on Pharah (and other targets), rarely have I ever seen a group of players forgo killing each other to actually do it in FFA. Pharah can win a Chateau, I've seen it happen plenty of times; but more often I've seen others start avoiding the exterior spaces she patrols only to fall victim to attacks from Junkrat and Symmetra in the interior spaces. They will outpace Pharah almost every time.

Torbjorn players I've seen win Dorado will set up like the snipers, placing their turret in areas of the map outside the vault where they can pick off players who cross into open air; as you said a lot of fighting takes place in the vault, and weakened survivors can find themselves picked off while looking for the nearest health pack (unless you risk waiting around for the big one in the vault to regenerate). They'll use their ultimate to defend against assaults on their position, more often than not taking down the attacker and getting bonus kills on anyone unfortunate to wander out into the killing field afterward. Torbjorn players I've seen on Eichenwalde tend to set up in the same spots: the elevated bridge, or in sight of the big health pack. The former is risky, and the latter works until everyone knows you're there, and then they simply avoid that area or a Junkrat/Hanzo wipes you out with his ult.

Dorado's openness works for Pharah in the same way it works for the snipers, because it requires other players to expose themselves to move across large portions of the map. She uses her aerial skills to cross that ground more quickly, varies her flight pattern, swoops in on weakened opponents for easy kills, and unleashes her ultimate on players too caught up in their street fight to avoid the barrage of missiles coming their way. And while I have seen players call for focus fire on Pharah (and other targets), rarely have I ever seen a group of players forgo killing each other to actually do it in FFA. Pharah can win a Chateau, I've seen it happen plenty of times; but more often I've seen others start avoiding the exterior spaces she patrols only to fall victim to attacks from Junkrat and Symmetra in the interior spaces. They will outpace Pharah almost every time.

Torbjorn players I've seen win Dorado will set up like the snipers, placing their turret in areas of the map outside the vault where they can pick off players who cross into open air; as you said a lot of fighting takes place in the vault, and weakened survivors can find themselves picked off while looking for the nearest health pack (unless you risk waiting around for the big one in the vault to regenerate). They'll use their ultimate to defend against assaults on their position, more often than not taking down the attacker and getting bonus kills on anyone unfortunate to wander out into the killing field afterward. Torbjorn players I've seen on Eichenwalde tend to set up in the same spots: the elevated bridge, or in sight of the big health pack. The former is risky, and the latter works until everyone knows you're there, and then they simply avoid that area or a Junkrat/Hanzo wipes you out with his ult.

My favorite spot for a turret on Eichenwalde was the star here: It had great coverage of the big bridge, and could usually get "headshots" of people down the ramp slightly. Plus people jumping off the small bridge trying to run away.

rgPVUk4.png

My favorite spot for a turret on Eichenwalde was the star here: It had great coverage of the big bridge, and could usually get "headshots" of people down the ramp slightly. Plus people jumping off the small bridge trying to run away.
That's another risky spot to me; it's a major intersection so it's always in the middle of the action with multiple lanes of approach to try to defend. Plus Eichenwalde is a map favored by snipers, and you're in clear sight of any Widowmaker or Hanzo at the opposite end.

Blues1990

LMAO thats exactly what i thought. Dude looks fabulous. Not really what id want my reaper to look like though haha.

It's a big improvement over that dumb mask, and he looks like an actual European vampire. If Soldier: 76 can have several skins without his, then why isn't Reaper exempt from this?

Even on Normal it gets ridiculous at the 3rd star. Not even sure how much tougher it gets above that.

Trust me, it becomes borderline unfair on Legendary Difficulty. I was with a group with Zenyatta (Me), Hanzo, Torbjorn, and McCree, and we barely last up to 8/12 rounds.

LiK

Summoner is the fucking worst. Her shield generator + small hitbox is just a pain in the ass especially when they have multiple ones.

Syf

Banned
Not sure if anyone here is going, but the floor map for blizzcon is out. Overwatch has a demo area so whatever they have to show, you'll probably be able to try:

You can also see how the arena will be set up for world cup. Looks like they will be using the full seating capacity with the stage in the middle instead of how they've done it the past few years for SC2:

Not that I noticed. Here's how it works (copy/pasted from some guy on the Blizzard forums):

1) Time - 3.4 XP per second -> seems lower, got ~1900 in a ~10m match
2) Medals - 50 XP -> 45xp for a bronze, 100 XP -> 90xp for silver and 150 XP ->135xp for a gold medal. You can only earn XP for one medal per match (max 150 total)
3) Finished the game - 250 XP -> 135xp
4) Winning - 500 XP -> 450xp
5) Consecutive Matches - 200 XP -> 270xp
6) Back-filling a match in-progress - 400 XP -> 360xp
7) First day's win - 1500 XP
8) Group bonuses - 20% for playing with friends

Playing mystery heroes and the values are lower for the most part.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man, i would friggin' love to attend Blizzcon someday.
And yes, nerd out with Brode and Kaplan lol

Veelk

Banned
I dread the day dva gets a nice blizzcon skin. But then again, I don't think they look that good. I hate the giant blizzcon logo especially.

rulerk1

There are so many one trick syms in masters. actually scary. Only been playing for four hours in masters and i already confuse a what im seeing. I've never actually cared about one tricks prior to making it here but they do bring down the quality of games immensely. and then they're never in voice either. At least the dps are dependable for the most part.

HiiiLife

There are so many one trick syms in masters. actually scary. Only been playing for four hours in masters and i already confuse a what im seeing. I've never actually cared about one tricks prior to making it here but they do bring down the quality of games immensely. and then they're never in voice either. At least the dps are dependable for the most part.

I thought GAF said dumb asses are diamond and below.

Farthest I've gotten on normal endless so far is Bonus 14. Team of Zen, Torb, McCree, Hanzo

I wonder wants the optimal team on endless.

Started playing as Genji today and hot damn this guy requires no skill does he?

Genji has one of the highest skill ceilings in the game. As you get up the ladder the difference between a deadweight genji and a good one easily becomes apparent.

Started playing as Genji today and hot damn this guy requires no skill does he?

As much as I bag on him, he requires skill.
But the ability for him to snowball with momentum via chaining those dashes, being tricky to hit, deflect and having an incredibly strong ult mean that even my rare and mediocre Genji play has had moments where I've suddenly pulled a murder spree out of the bag.
Which in turn is probably why so many play as him, those few good moments one can have in a sea of inaccurate dealings seem to convince a lot of people they're good Genji players.

I do however still have a plenty of problems with how the high skill cap allows the really skilled Genji players to go to town in a way few other characters can match.

Genji has one of the highest skill ceilings in the game. As you get up the ladder the difference between a deadweight genji and a good one easily becomes apparent.

I duuuunno. This guy seems like easy mode to me. I think I've found my new insta-win pick. To be fair though, I only fuck around in qp these days.

Think the rest of the Overwatch League teams will have their actual team names by Blizzcon?

We just have the Dallas Fuel and the Shanghai Dragons right now I think.

spootime

Tried playing this season but its fucking terrible. Why are there so many fucking shields in this game? I spend 70 percent of the game shooting at shields. Holy shit its bad.

Prelude.

Why is the game so ded? No one's playing, it takes like 2 minutes to find a game and the average is like low gold between new accounts and actual gold players in both teams. And of course, no healers.

Edit: nvm, now it's diamonds, masters and gm. But still, not a lot of people if it has to do this.

Tried playing this season but its fucking terrible. Why are there so many fucking shields in this game? I spend 70 percent of the game shooting at shields. Holy shit its bad.
The game had too many shields even before Orisa launched.

leng jai

To be honest I really like Zarya's skin for this event, it's probably my favourite one. Only issue is that it doesn't really fit into the Halloween theme. Her last two skins have been really good.

Because Orisa's is up 24/7 and she's in every game.

Tracer is too good, I feel like a god.

If your team is making no progress then it's better to pick characters with more mobility that can bypass the shields.

Or just Bastion/Junkrat on attack and detroy all the shields. All of them.

What tips would you recommend for playing Genji? I've tried him out but I cant seem to make it click.

Oh you.

Azoor

I've been playing Mercy since launch, people asking rez to be removed concern me, rez is part of her character and overall appeal.

hypernima

Banned
Yeah Cultist Zen has a bunch of unique dialogue like 'listen to the whispers of insanity' when discording

zen is secretly blizzs favorite. tracer is just jeffs favorite

You see, I knew it, and everyone laughed but I fucking knew it. I've been calling Zenyatta the devil but this just confirms it. The proof is in the pudding people. Did anyone really believe this omnic monk shtick? Not I. I was not fooled one bit. Not one bit at all and now there is SOLID proof. How did you did he attained the power to cast evil on someone in a match? He made a dark deal. There's a good reason Zarya doesn't trust him. Look at it this way, did he willingly leave the Shambali or was he kicked out because of his dirty satanery. And then BOOM Mondatta assassinated. Now I've been verse in Overwatch lore and I have to say that's no simple coincidence. When he said "death is whimsical today" he meant Mondatta. And now he's just waiting for the right time to strike. They say the leader of Talon has never truly been revealed, but this might be the front of such evil.
Mark my words, never trust an omnic people.

Top Bottom