• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA: Fire Emblem Warriors Season Pass detailed, Awakening now a "classic game"

khaaan

I was hoping the DLC packs would take the opportunity to draw from other games. The main game is already heavily represented by Awakening and Fates with a bit of Shadow Dragon thrown in. Still hopeful they'll at the very least squeeze in Ike and Roy.

Lunar15

Man, i wonder if they will sprinkle a couple of characters into each of the dlc from other games.

I'd much rather have dedicated dlc to other games if that meant celica and lyn being cut from the base game so be it.

At this point, I'd rather them just leave out old characters so they can focus on it big time with a sequel.

The game is comprised of a majority Fates and Awakening characters and 2 off the 3 DLC packs focus on them too? Who's left.

If Peri makes it in I'm gonna laugh my ass off

The game is comprised of a majority Fates and Awakening characters and 2 off the 3 DLC packs focus on them too? Who's left.

If there is one thing I do feel strongly about the new games, its that their secondary characters have a lot more personality. Owned mostly to the expanded support conversations continuing to give them personality well after they join.

So with these DLCs focusing on the same 3 games, I can hope for some of the fun side characters from Awakening and Fates. Fates less so but Peri and Kagero would be cool. Cherche, Sumia, Miriel, and Tharja from Awakening.

Lunar15

Why are they trying so hard to bury the older games? Not even Ike, Marth or Roy?
Hector?!

At least there's Celica and Lyn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I made terms with this a loooong time ago. They pretty clearly outlined what they were going to do from the start. I even called that the DLC would focus only on Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon. That's just how they're focusing for this game, and Lyn and Celica are just neat bonuses.

You couldn't pay me to buy this game, but I hope it does well enough to get a sequel that has more stuff that's a bit more up my alley. In the meantime, just have to realize that I'm not who they're aiming at here and move on.

Why are they trying so hard to bury the older games? Not even Ike, Marth or Roy?
Hector?!
because their main focus on this game is 3 games as they built an entire mode to focus on the stories of those games necessitating having a roster of those game's characters.

However one of those games is Shadow Dragon. Marth IS in this.

What I find weird is we only know 3 shadow dragon characters so far. I would expect more to support that story mode.

I'm hoping for sequels that continue this trend, next one focusing on Echoes, Sacred Stones, and Binding Blade would be cool. That would give us a focus on hector and other popular FF7 characters besides the token Lyn in this game, as well as more than the token celica for echoes.

Of course Sacred Stones would be the pipe dream for me...theyd probably go Tellius first.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hector?!

I think IS and Koei must have come to a decision to focus on newer titles early in development, and its only the last 6 months that has likely made IS realize they didn't understand the market. To me, FE Heroes clearly shows IS has been able to respond to consumer feedback and realize the older games are still very popular (Heroes also focused a ton on the newer games at the start), but its very easy to make changes to plans for a mobile game, compared to something like FE:Warriors which has likely had a content cut off soon after its announcement.

PK Gaming

Azura is a given. They might add Effie for the promised armored unit rep. They might add Kagero because they're shamelessly horny or Flora + Felicia because they're popular. Outside of them, I doubt they'll touch the FE:Fates well soon.

Sooo what's the likelihood of me being able to play as Donnel? All I want to see is Donnel mauling hundreds of soldiers.

Like 1%. He's not really popular in Japan.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think IS and Koei must have come to a decision to focus on newer titles early in development, and its only the last 6 months that has likely made IS realize they didn't understand the market. To me, FE Heroes clearly shows IS has been able to respond to consumer feedback and realize the older games are still very popular (Heroes also focused a ton on the newer games at the start), but its very easy to make changes to plans for a mobile game, compared to something like FE:Warriors which has likely had a content cut off soon after its announcement.

Whether this is accurate or not, I like it. Hopefully we'll see FEW (as a game or franchise) evolve in a satisfactory way.

It is interesting how FEH started similarly.

kswiston

Given the nearly exclusive focus on just 3 titles, even with DLC, I wonder if plans exist for a FE Warriors 2.

Warriors Orochi 3 had something like 120 playable characters, so there is a precedence for absolutely massive rosters in Musou games.

Richie

Real talk, who else in the cast is more at home in a game that asks you to murder by the hundreds?

Count me in the camp that thinks they'll take advantage of the Awakening/Shadow Dragon DLCs to introduce characters from other installments. I had suspected they'd be doing this with Shadow Dragon already, it extending to Awakening surprises me, it having no shortage of loved characters they could pull for DLC.

I too wonder exactly how many characters we're gonna get. Hyrule Warriors' DLC packs had 2 at most each IIRC...But in that game every character, base roster or otherwise, had unique movesets, none were shared across the cast (correct me if I'm wrong). Whereas here Celica seems to be pretty much Magical Marth. If the door is open to cloneified movesets, then there's a chance we'll see more characters than I expect.

Finally, on the "classic" bit...It's the game that saved the franchise, of course Ninty is gonna hold it in high regard.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Given the nearly exclusive focus on just 3 titles, even with DLC, I wonder if plans exist for a FE Warriors 2.

Warriors Orochi 3 had something like 120 playable characters, so there is a precedence for absolutely massive rosters in Musou games.

If it's profitable and Nintendo maintains interest to support, then plans are always on the table for a sequel to this, Hyrule, or any other licensed Musou entry with their blessing.

Specific concerns over roster count will largely never be a justification to avoid a new entry. That's the sort of stuff that is usually hashed out when financing is approved and production is official.

Classic is not the same thing as retro.

How can a game that's literally 1 main entry back be considered "classic"? Fates followed the exact same modern "style" Awakening did. Okay, maybe we could say 2 entries back if we consider Echoes, but the question still stands

McNum

Classic is not the same thing as retro.
Yeah, Awakening is a modern classic. You can toss a reference to the main parts of it and expect most people with even a slight knowledge of Fire Emblem to recognize it, and it's probably the best jumping on point the series currently has. How can it be anything but a classic?

Even when whatever Fire Emblem games comes for the Switch, I'd expect future crossovers to have Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and the newest game. The first, the revival, and the new one.

How can a game that's literally 1 main entry back be considered "classic"? Fates followed the exact same modern "style" Awakening did. Okay, maybe we could say 2 entries back if we consider Echoes, but the question still stands
I honestly do not see any definition of classic that excludes Awakening. Almost none refer to age, except one that talks about enduring style. If you demand their use of classic match every definition of the word, then that itself seems like the definition of pedantic.

That said, I don't really agree Awakening is a classic, but it's PR, not a review.

Ridley327

From the small excerpt it seems like they're not gonna. Which is surprising.

It shouldn't be, since weapon types are more tied to classes. You can't tie an Amiibo to a particular spear for an infantry unit when there's no spear infantry units to speak of. DLC is a much better avenue for that kind of content.

a game being a classic doesnt have to do with age take for example many people consider breath of the wild to be a classic.

Lunar15

Awakening saved the series from extinction so yeah they can call it whatever they like.

Pretty much. It's the turning point of the series in a huge way, like it or not. People getting bent out of shape over the use of the word "Classic" are just being weird.

If Ragnell is in this game but not Ike I will be so mad.
Only he and his Dad are allowed to use it.

Technically anyone can wield Ragnell if they're strong enough. You're telling me it won't be adorable seeing Tiki hit people with the hilt instead of the blade!?

Ridley327

I'm thinking more from amount of content perspective.

As far as I'm aware HW was a high bar even for theWarriors franchise.

FEW is looking to have a ton of content with just the base roster, which is even bigger than Hyrule Warriors. I know that the series representation is still an issue, but in terms of raw content, this isn't looking to be skimpy in the slightest.

DMiz

There's only been 'one new' game since the release of Awakening - Garden is amazing but doesn't count as a new game - so I also scoff at it being considered a "classic game". I would imagine that this has more to do with how it managed to re-awaken (pun intended) Western interest in FE after it had dipped with the Wii release, and how the systems it had introduced (including the generations mechanic with time-travelling spouse and what not) have become staples.

I still enjoyed it more than Fates, so it has that going for it, and the design of Chrom and Lucina are still something I find relatively attractive and 'good' designs -- but Nintendo, falsely elevating the status of a game just because of its zeitgeist status is unnecessary. Call it as it is!

FEW is looking to have a ton of content with just the base roster, which is even bigger than Hyrule Warriors. I know that the series representation is still an issue, but in terms of raw content, this isn't looking to be skimpy in the slightest.

To be of air Warriors All Stars has a like 30 characters and only has a story mode.

OR has been off lately

Ridley327

To be of air Warriors All Stars has a like 30 characters and only has a story mode.

OR has been off lately

They're definitely spread a lot thinner than they used to be, but there hasn't been much indication that they've been slacking on FEW. Team Ninja is also helping on with development, so the situation is very similar to Hyrule Warriors on at least that front.

Lunar15

∀ Narayan;249972654 said:
Ike not being in this from the outset is what deters me the most. It's going to bother me if he ends up being DLC.

Point of this thread is that he's actually not likely to be DLC. It's not out of the question, but the DLC seems to be focusing on Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon

Top Bottom