• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Damn Shinn is a head case. I'm still trying to figure out why the let him pilot a weapon of mass destruction. I mean Kamille watched his parents die too, but wasn't as messed up as Shinn. Nice to see Shinn snap out of it a bit and act human towards Kira. Through the guidance of his new friends he'll be fine at least.

Exactly. There's no way any military organization would allow Shinn to join after talking to him, let alone be their ace pilot. Maybe he passed some sort of super secret berserker mode training and they decided to roll with it.

Posted this in the GBF Try thread:

Finished up with the top coat of my Zaku Amazing last night.

16978219840_37d165d592_z.jpg

RangerBAD

Exactly. There's no way any military organization would allow Shinn to join after talking to him, let alone be their ace pilot. Maybe he passed some sort of super secret berserker mode training and they decided to roll with it.

Durandal, being a head case too, needed to be able to easily manipulate his men. Shinn and Rey are perfect choices. Although, Durandal got haughty thinking he could control Athrun.

Durandal, being a head case too, needed to be able to easily manipulate his men. Shinn and Rey are perfect choices. Although, Durandal got haughty thinking he could control Athrun.
Athrun's seen this shit before, surely I can manipulate him into thinking he hasn't seen this shit before.
Didn't help that Shinn didn't have a mentor like Quattro, a flat out ass kicking from Wong, the "you just said some dumb shit so I'm going to smack the taste out of your mouth" discipline of Emma, a hot girl like Fa, Bright Noa being Bright Noa and the rest of that cast to properly guide him like Kamille.

I'd go probably Gunner Zaku, Astray, Sazabi, MG 1.0 and then Deathsycthe. well if you wanted build to grow in complexity, though to be honest you could likely switch Sazabi and Zaku for better progression.

Gunnner Zaku~ Alright I'll think I'll start that. Soon. When I'm watching Netflix~

Shun

On the topic of Shinn, Riddhe also didn't deserve a mobile suit as cool as the Delta Plus.

Hyaku Shiki and Delta Kai and the rest of the Delta line are so good. Too bad the Delta Kai will never get a kit outside of the HG. That kit and the G-Self have way too many stickers.

Will never understand how popular EW Wing Zero Custom is. Keeps getting new suits over suits from it's own series and other better suits. Not a fan of the design with the blue horns and color scheme, tacky wings being it's only saving grace.

RangerBAD

On the topic of Shinn, Riddhe also didn't deserve a mobile suit as cool as the Delta Plus.

Hyaku Shiki and Delta Kai and the rest of the Delta line are so good. Too bad the Delta Kai will never get a kit outside of the HG. That kit and the G-Self have way too many stickers.

Will never understand how popular EW Wing Zero Custom is. Keeps getting new suits over suits from it's own series and other better suits. Not a fan of the design with the blue horns and color scheme, tacky wings being it's only saving grace.

He didn't deserve the Banshee either.

Beth Cyra

Better suits is entirely subjective.

Granted I hate God and Exia, but I also don't complain that they get the love In their series because they've proven to be the better suits To the fans.

Where did the Wing Zero rant even come from? Aside from a SD figure and the RG it hasn't got a suit in a very long time. It's all been TV variants.

Shun

Better suits is entirely subjective.

Granted I hate God and Exia, but I also don't complain that they get the love In their series because they've proven to be the better suits To the fans.

Where did the Wing Zero rant even come from? Aside from a SD figure and the RG it hasn't got a suit in a very long time. It's all been TV variants.

Bad choice of words but.

Aside from the No Grade suits that proliferated the pre-90s, I'm referencing the fact that Wing Zero Custom is usually the first suit to come out of the series over the Wing/Zero/Epyon/Tallgeese. We saw this with the HGs in 1998, the PG, and the RG recently. Even with the MG unit, the MG Wing Zero Custom came out months after the Ver. Ka. It just strikes me as odd that the Custom in a lot of cases, comes out before the TV.

I just never understood how the EW OVA suits gained so much traction over the original TV suits in that the Custom got a suit first. That's what I meant by the Wing Zero.

It's like if the 00 Quanta got suits before the 00 Raiser. Or if Hi-v gets one before the v-Gundam.

Beth Cyra

Bad choice of words but.

Aside from the No Grade suits that proliferated the pre-90s, I'm referencing the fact that Wing Zero Custom is usually the first suit to come out of the series over the Wing/Zero/Epyon/Tallgeese. We saw this with the HGs in 1998, the PG, and the RG recently. Even with the MG unit, the MG Wing Zero Custom came out months after the Ver. Ka. It just strikes me as odd that the Custom in a lot of cases, comes out before the TV.

I just never understood how the EW OVA suits gained so much traction over the original TV suits in that the Custom got a suit first. That's what I meant by the Wing Zero.

It's like if the 00 Quanta got suits before the 00 Raiser. Or if Hi-v gets one before the v-Gundam.
Zero Ew is much different then those though.

As it stands Wing Zero EW and Wing Zero TV are the same suit where as OOQ and OOR are their own things.

Hi-v and Nu are the closest we have and we've seen this actually happen recently with Hi-v Metal Damashii being done before Metal Nu, and even then the difference is still huge because EW was a hugely promoted event and had Katoki's name all over it.

I'm with you in being sick of Zero EW, and I want OZ stuff from Wing, but it makes alot of sense why EW is almost always chosen over TV.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Durandal is actually one of my favorite Gundam villains. He makes two mistakes.

1. He tries killing Lacus for pretty much no reason. Kira even admits that he'd have probably just joined up with Durandal otherwise.

2. He reveals how crazy he is and everyone turns on him.

Other than that? Brilliant!

1. He tries killing Lacus for pretty much no reason. Kira even admits that he'd have probably just joined up with Durandal otherwise.

I'm going to assume Durandal did it because he thought the real Lacus would eventually speak out against the message that the fake Lacus was representing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes but he could have just asked her to help with his anti-Logos campaign and then try to kill her when his whole project destiny thing comes out.

Yes but he could have just asked her to help with his anti-Logos campaign and then try to kill her when his whole project destiny thing comes out.
But he wanted someone he could manipulate, Durandal had no luck manipulating anybody from the original cast for an extended period of time. Even Athrun during his stupid phase realized his plan was evil, so I'm going to assume Lacus da gawdess would've caught on even quicker.

Yeah. Destiny was a shit show, but Durand al wasnt bad at all. Great character in a garbage anime.

Gundam Reconguista in G Episode 8

Best line was when Bell said "If you dont watch, your life will be filled with darkness,". I live for these end of the episode lines from him, theyre incredible.

Bell's mom made this a blast with her continued antics (of course first thing she says is she forgot to bring the cinnamon cake).While Bell is a good fun pilot as always. Love when the G-self just has its way with him and hes just along for the ride.

Capt mask is an awful antagonist though, I hope he just continues to never succeed.
Kind of dont want Bell and his mom to return to the Capitol Tower, things are much better down here with the Megafauna

That's an accurate description. Destiny truly is the Zeta of Seed.
It really is funny how Destiny stole a lot of the story beats from Zeta, did them worse but still. Is the leader of Logos the Destiny version of Bask Ohm? And who is the Reccoa? Then again they don't do the characters as well as Zeta. As much as they tried to make Athrun Quattro, he wasn't though at least for his sake he handled women better. Shinn isn't as well rounded as Kamille and Lunamaria is not Fa tier, cause Fa wasn't as insane as Lunamaria was, though Fa was still lucky to survive the damn show. Kira wasn't as flawed as Amuro was in Zeta. Even when Kira hung up his boots he wasn't languishing in some depressed hole like Amuro was. Kira just moved on a bit after the war and just wanted a peaceful existence. Amuro didn't know what the hell he wanted to do and just stayed under surveillance.

ZetaEpyon

I ordered the standard Blu-ray version from Amazon JP. Came to roughly $50 with shipping included.

Yeah, if I wasn't such a sucker for LE anime blurays, I'd have just done this myself. I definitely thought about it.

Maybe TRSI will end up doing more of an actual domestic release sometime down the line, since they only did the import of the LE version.

Acid08

Banned
(sorry for the crappy potato phone picture)

Finished up the MG Turn A! Awesome kit, loved building the legs and chest. By far the most unique Gunpla build I've seen so far. Lining is required on this kit, IMO. Really makes the whole thing come together and look MUCH better. And the shield is probably my favorite of any Gundam.

Shun

(sorry for the crappy potato phone picture)

Finished up the MG Turn A! Awesome kit, loved building the legs and chest. By far the most unique Gunpla build I've seen so far. Lining is required on this kit, IMO. Really makes the whole thing come together and look MUCH better. And the shield is probably my favorite of any Gundam.

Saving the other decals or do they not match with Turn A?

Also since it comes with a Cow, does it fit in the core fighter?

Edit:
CCuHJg0UkAA0--o.jpg:large

Wow. That LED mod would look great if you could power it by a small rechargeable battery.

^ That looks intense!

Got some Montana Gold paints yesterday since they seemed to have a pretty neat selection of colors. Let's see where this goes!

16994218798_ef510e048e_z.jpg

Soi-Fong

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've actually been modeling a Gundam in 3DSMax. Just as a personal project and to add to my portfolio.

I'm actually pretty happy with it so far. Still have to finish his backpack in the back and a few other things, then gotta cut in the detail.

Pretty sure people will recognize the Gundam here.

zhtb.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've actually been modeling a Gundam in 3DSMax. Just as a personal project and to add to my portfolio.

I'm actually pretty happy with it so far. Still have to finish his backpack in the back and a few other things, then gotta cut in the detail.

Pretty sure people will recognize the Gundam here.

zhtb.jpg

The legs look like the Zeta's. So do the arms. But the body looks like the RX-78-2s

Acid08

Banned
Saving the other decals or do they not match with Turn A?

Also since it comes with a Cow, does it fit in the core fighter?
They provided a lot of decals but yeah, it's a bunch of logos and stuff. Not really anything I'd want to put on.

The cow actually goes in the chest compartments, you can slide out one of the missile compartments and put the cow in.

Soi-Fong

Donkey got it. lol Here's some more shots.

oitb.jpg

pitb.jpg

Here's the wireframes since someone asked for it. Used clay so it's easier to see.

qitb.jpg

sitb.jpg

Shun

They provided a lot of decals but yeah, it's a bunch of logos and stuff. Not really anything I'd want to put on.

The cow actually goes in the chest compartments, you can slide out one of the missile compartments and put the cow in.

That's awesome.

Sora_N

I couldn't find anything I wanted so I just picked up MG Shining Gundam. It was cheap enough since some HG cost about the same.

Beth Cyra

Spent the better part of today building OOQ while my wife watched Charmed.

The design is pure trash, but the model is amazing, and easily rests in my top 5 MG's. The build isn't complex or all that impressive but the colors, and the way it stands on the shelf really is impressive and made me happy I built it.

Need to do the weapon systems, but as a piece for the 1/100 leads? Easily out ranks Wing, Zeta 2.0, God, and Strike which I have next to him now.

Paltheos

Stupid Shinn.

Speaking of Destiny...so when's MG Savior coming?
:(

Saviour.jpg

EDIT:

I picked up my really really old (I didn't realize GSD was like 10 years ago, holy shit I'm old) Infinite Justice kit and this happened. Actually tried to touch the other foot and the same thing happened.

Over the years I kinda liked regular Justice more, will they even make MG of that? They made RG Justice....

Broken IJ.jpg

FYI, the NG 1/100 Saviour is one of those few Seed NGs that's *really* good. Barring the Legend, it might be the best of the batch.

Also, I own the NG 1/100 Infinite Justice too, and the same thing happened to my left arm haha, but I don't remember why it broke. Held together by glue and prayers now. The V-fin also broke this year from the stress of propping the backpack up.

Sora_N

FYI, the NG 1/100 Saviour is one of those few Seed NGs that's *really* good. Barring the Legend, it might be the best of the batch.

Also, I own the NG 1/100 Infinite Justice too, and the same thing happened to my left arm haha, but I don't remember why it broke. Held together by glue and prayers now. The V-fin also broke this year from the stress of propping the backpack up.

Glad I'm not alone, the kit is old but I actually stored it away safely....I'm going to buy the MG Justice sometime anyways, now I have the best excuse.

I was always interested in the Legend kit also, wonder if Bandai would make MG...I think they would do Providence first. :(

Beth Cyra

Glad I'm not alone, the kit is old but I actually stored it away safely....I'm going to buy the MG Justice sometime anyways, now I have the best excuse.

I was always interested in the Legend kit also, wonder if Bandai would make MG...I think they would do Providence first. :(

Prov/Legend will get a MG one day. However AU Grunts and villains is always better to go with No grades instead of waiting lol

I sadly hated all villain suits from SEED, but I would love a Ghaeon MG so dang bad, that and I would really be down with a O Gundam MG, and a P Bandai 1.5 Gundam.

Tizoc

So what's up with the gundam with the mustache?
...and as odd as this question's gonna be, how'd they come up with the names of some characters and mecha? WTF is a Zaku? Ramba Ral, Full Frontal....

NEO0MJ

...and as odd as this question's gonna be, how'd they come up with the names of some characters and mecha? WTF is a Zaku? Ramba Ral, Full Frontal....

Mustache Gundamu is what happens when you bring in a designer who is as far from the usual as you get. It was designed by Syd Mead, most famous for his work on Tron, Alien, and Blade Runner.

I guess the main reason it got the mustache is because Tomino wanted to give the gundam a unique look and something for the characters in the show to identify and call it by while its origins and name were unknown.

Acid08

Banned
What's up with it? You mean beyond it being the best Gundam?

RangerBAD

Mustache Gundamu is what happens when you bring in a designer who is as far from the usual as you get. It was designed by Syd Mead, most famous for his work on Tron, Alien, and Blade Runner.

I guess the main reason it got the mustache is because Tomino wanted to give the gundam a unique look and something for the characters in the show to identify and call it by while its origins and name were unknown.

He started out as a car designer. They also attribute the clean up to Atsushi Shigeta.

Shun

Because V-Fins are overrated. Mustache > V Fin.

Zaku are expendable cannon fodder that are intentionally named that way as an mispronunciation of zako, which refers to cannon fodder.

And names, are well... names that are made up or from loan words. I mean there are chara named Revive Revival... I mean what is an Ermac? Kazooie? Conker?

Many chara, like Sven Cal Bayang, is a combination of Nordic and Thai. Possibly his ethnic background. As different as Lacus Clyne's name is, it comes from Latin root.

Arkadios

Ohh Gundam 3D fanart here, I should visit this thread more often!
I recently finished this fanart, a game-res bust of Hyaku Shiki. I used several bust resin kits as reference which had more or less the same kind of details. With the MG 2.0 coming shortly, seemed like a cool tribute.

Top Bottom