• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

Tawpgun

"Sea of Thieves‏ @SeaOfThieves
We're having SEVEN more Xbox One Technical Alpha play sessions next week and inviting 10,000 more pirates aboard! Check your emails tonight."

Was about to post this. Not sure if it warrants a new thread.

Simo

3 tests this weekend. Not sure if extra invites went out.

Oh really? I never got the email. Xbox?

If that's the case any gaffers want join up? Every time I try this I'm always with a group with no mics and its no fun at all.

Sydle

If it's on Xbox I'm definitely playing. I use a mic, so would love to play with others who like to work together and chat.

Theorry

"We're shipping out 20,000 new invitations for a Technical Alpha session next week! Xbox One AND Windows 10. Keep an eye on those inboxes!"

Zenner

Huh, didn't know the open Alpha had been going since Dec 16th 2016. We're almost into September now; are open Alphas typically this long?

Sydle

Huh, didn't know the open Alpha had been going since Dec 16th 2016. We're almost into September now; are open Alphas typically this long?

It's a real alpha where the dev is adjusting quite a bit based in feedback and introducing new features for feedback along the way.

Havik

There is an in-game treasure hunt this week to win a special sea of thieves console.

elg76fv.jpg

sakyot

I kinda need a team.

It's throwing me off getting randoms who just pick the boat and go off alone.
and 0 mics aswell.

My first game was great though.
Really coordinated team, I was actually the one doing nothing cause it was my first game :p

Rodelero

I kinda need a team.

and 0 mics aswell.

Really coordinated team, I was actually the one doing nothing cause it was my first game :p

The official forums are a pretty good place to find people to crew up with. You should also be aware that it's all still under NDA, and so your impressions should be confined to that forum and your feedback to the specific feedback sections there :p

Played it today for the first time, I'm more interested in buying it now than at any earlier point. I hope I can get a bunch of friends playing it together. Can't say much more without breaking NDA.

Salty Hippo

I played a bit today but people are saying my mic is too low. Is there anything I can do to boost it? Everything is set to max on my end and it sounds fine for me when I test it with a voice recorder.

JonnyKong

I signed up to this when it was first announced way back in the day and I still haven't got an invite.

I don't know what I've done for Rare to hate me so :(

JonnyKong

I think it's because for one of the questions I made the mistake of saying I prefer playing single player games rather than working in teams, so now they're fucking me over 🤣

Rodelero

I played a bit today but people are saying my mic is too low. Is there anything I can do to boost it? Everything is set to max on my end and it sounds fine for me when I test it with a voice recorder.

There are a bunch of audio settings in the game that may help. Some of the ones towards the bottom alter the way voice chat works and I think, unintuitively, some affect how others hear you, like the one which toggles between speakers and headphones.

Dabanton

I kinda need a team.

and 0 mics aswell.

Yeah no mics kills any sort of teamwork you want to do. I hope Rare gives the option of no matchmaking with people not using mics.

Rodelero

Is the alpha / invites just for those on xbox? Signed up eons ago for PC, probably just unlucky.

Invites have been sent for both Xbox and PC players now, with the first batch of PC invites going out at least a month ago. I suspect you've just been unlucky but perhaps worth checking your junk email folders. I (on Xbox) was playing with a PC player last night which was great.

Got the insider email today, this is great news!

In case you missed it, our weekly play sessions will be moving to Saturdays! We listened to your feedback and will be kicking off Saturday sessions this weekend (7th October). Not only have we moved the day but we've extended the sessions to be 24hrs long! You can now set sail between 3pm BST on Saturday and 3pm BST on Sunday.

Every time I check my email and see "Sea of Thieves" I have a mild heartattack before realizing it's just another weekly insider update :lol

Holy shit after like what, almost a year I'm finally in a SoT Alpha Weekend? LETS GOOOOOOOOO

Thank GOD midterms are this week, time to take a break from PUBG

Hey guys,

I have been in the technical alpha for a few months now. Just wanted to give some tips. Once you are in the alpha, you are in. This means you can play all the time without waiting for special weekends. At first I was confused because I got in for a certain weekend and thought I couldn't play till the next session. Then one day I just loaded up the game to see what would happen. Guess what, it worked. So unless they are doing server maintenance (which isn't that frequent), you have access.

Also, you definitely need a mic. Playing without a mic is almost meaningless because you can explore for an hour or so but if you and the team don't coordinate, its going to get frustrating fast because the objectives require serious coordination.

There are weird things that you can do that you wouldn't expect. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but whenever you can interact with different items (like a cannon), you should try creative things that most other games wouldn't allow (think outside the box).

Lastly, you can run into other players which is pretty epic when you are going through a storm and you see a ship in the horizon getting closer. This situation will depend on who is steering the ship so be ready for anything.

Good luck getting in and have fun. See you on the Sea.

Hey guys,

I have been in the technical alpha for a few months now. Just wanted to give some tips. Once you are in the alpha, you are in. This means you can play all the time without waiting for special weekends. At first I was confused because I got in for a certain weekend and thought I couldn't play till the next session. Then one day I just loaded up the game to see what would happen. Guess what, it worked. So unless they are doing server maintenance (which isn't that frequent), you have access.

Also, you definitely need a mic. Playing without a mic is almost meaningless because you can explore for an hour or so but if you and the team don't coordinate, its going to get frustrating fast because the objectives require serious coordination.

There are weird things that you can do that you wouldn't expect. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but whenever you can interact with different items (like a cannon), you should try creative things that most other games wouldn't allow (think outside the box).

Lastly, you can run into other players which is pretty epic when you are going through a storm and you see a ship in the horizon getting closer. This situation will depend on who is steering the ship so be ready for anything.

Good luck getting in and have fun. See you on the Sea.

Do you need Xbox Live Gold? Hopefully not since I don't have it.

Top Bottom