• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

casnix

I was born and raised in Mesa, AZ. My favorite restaurant would be Brunchies which is located in downtown Chandler. Awesome biscuits and gravy. I live out in NH now. Quite the temperature change.

Hey, an AZ thread. I live out in Mesa, and have my whole life.

As for food places, they recently built a Teharu conveyor belt sushi place near my work, so I've been going there a lot.

And Filibertos is terrible. Last time me and my friends went there late at night while drunk, I got an adobada burrito. It was a dissapointment. Los Favoritos is way better.

Eiolon

I too live in Queen Creek. Actually, the San Tan Valley side of it. Unfortunately everything I like is nowhere near it. Any ways, howdy neighbor.

lem0n

I too live in Queen Creek. Actually, the San Tan Valley side of it. Unfortunately everything I like is nowhere near it. Any ways, howdy neighbor.

I guess I'm 'technically' San Tan Valley too haha, I'm just on the line of STV/QC... Circle Cross Ranch at Empire and Gary :D

I get to visit Phoenix for work in a few weeks, actually. As a New Englander, I'm told that it will be a bit of a system shock.

AntoneM

I get to visit Phoenix for work in a few weeks, actually. As a New Englander, I'm told that it will be a bit of a system shock.
It will be nothing like what you're used to. The city is totally exposed (no tree cover) so you can see "forever"; mountains in the middle of town; heat, heat, heat, and more heat.

Live in Ahwatukee here. Work at Wildflower Bread Company, if you haven't eaten there yet our food is awesome.

As far as food around the valley, my favorites are

Italian / Pizza - Cibo (Downtown), Pizza Bianco (Downtown), North (Downtown / Scottsdale)
Mexican - Taco Guild (Downtown), The Mission (Old Town Scottsdale), Los Taquitos (Ahwatukee), Elote Cafe (Sedona, but well worth the trip)
Sushi - Sakana (Ahwatukee)

I would argue that Taco Guild is in uptown, not downtown. I mean, Osborn and 7th st. isn't really downtown, lol.

Arrol

Neo Member
I'm not among your ranks yet AZ GAF, but I'll be moving to Chandler in about two weeks, so it seems like a nice coincidence that this thread popped up. I'll be moving down from LA for my first job for a tech company right out of college. I'm really excited and am already taking notes about where I should visit/eat!!! haha

lem0n

Oh man you're moving at one hell of a time. Well, best place near Chandler to eat is Joes Famous BBQ in old town Gilbert!

Besaide

Moved out to AZ in 2001 and currently living out in Queen Creek. This will be the first summer in years that I've had a car with a working a/c so that's kinda nice.

lem0n

Moved out to AZ in 2001 and currently living out in Queen Creek. This will be the first summer in years that I've had a car with a working a/c so that's kinda nice.
What are your crossroads, neighbor?? I'm just south of the hospital on Ironwood. :D

Nephtis

So, GAF.

Let's make it happen.

Tucson people, I think there's what, 3 of us? Let's meet up this weekend. I propose that pizza place that was mentioned earlier.

Let's also do a Phx meetup. Come on.

Guys. I'm in North Arizona with work till Friday. I cannot believe how gorgeous the rest of the state is. The scenery is unreal.

Anyways, my proposal for PHX GAF meetup is Cornish Pasty, just cause I look for any reason to go there.

Tapiozona

Banned
I'm not among your ranks yet AZ GAF, but I'll be moving to Chandler in about two weeks, so it seems like a nice coincidence that this thread popped up. I'll be moving down from LA for my first job for a tech company right out of college. I'm really excited and am already taking notes about where I should visit/eat!!! haha

Chandler GAF represent. Welcome, though hot as fuck right now. Worse still cause I'm building a pool and doing a lot of the work myself. Completion cant come soon enough.

As for eating, goto Yuphas kitchen in Tempe for the best thai in AZ (mclintock and Elliot), postinos in downtown Gilbert, and El Zocalo in downtown chandler for the nicest patio you've ever seen.

Partition

Banned
It will be nothing like what you're used to. The city is totally exposed (no tree cover) so you can see "forever"; mountains in the middle of town; heat, heat, heat, and more heat.

I would argue that Taco Guild is in uptown, not downtown. I mean, Osborn and 7th st. isn't really downtown, lol.

It is definitely uptown, my bad lol

Syncytia

Chandler GAF represent. Welcome, though hot as fuck right now. Worse still cause I'm building a pool and doing a lot of the work myself. Completion cant come soon enough.

As for eating, goto Yuphas kitchen in Tempe for the best thai in AZ (mclintock and Elliot), postinos in downtown Gilbert, and El Zocalo in downtown chandler for the nicest patio you've ever seen.

I will second Yuphas. Absolutely amazing. Also in the same shopping center is Vincitorios which is fantastic italian food.

So, GAF.

Let's make it happen.

Tucson people, I think there's what, 3 of us? Let's meet up this weekend. I propose that pizza place that was mentioned earlier.

Let's also do a Phx meetup. Come on.

damn , I can't this weekend. I am going to San Diego to escape the heat lol. Next weekend though?

lem0n

I'm glad everyone seems to like the meet-up ideas!! Whenever the PHX one happens, I'll be there. Wherever, I don't mind :)

Yeah, that's fine. So, with you, it makes 5 of us in Tucson.

Next weekend it'll be Jul 3-5, so I don't know about their availability, but I'm down for it. I'll PM them and see if we can get something started.
shit, i completely forgot about the 4th. I have family coming in then. By all means, don't work around my schedule. Sorry :(

Nephtis

shit, i completely forgot about the 4th. I have family coming in then. By all means, don't work around my schedule. Sorry :(

Naw dude, no rush. It doesn't have to be on the weekend specifically, we can do something during the week too. Fridays and Saturdays work best for me, so if it's not doable this week or the next, then the one after will have to do. lol

It will be nothing like what you're used to. The city is totally exposed (no tree cover) so you can see "forever"; mountains in the middle of town; heat, heat, heat, and more heat. /QUOTE]

I'm sure the term you'll use is "blast furnace".

I've been to Vegas in July, so I can Prepare to Dry as needed, but I do look forward to getting out there. It's a liberal/Dem convention in town (Netroots), and I've been speculating on the number of dehydrated progressives ending up in the ER over those few days.

blackflag

Live in Ahwatukee here. Work at Wildflower Bread Company, if you haven't eaten there yet our food is awesome.

As far as food around the valley, my favorites are

Italian / Pizza - Cibo (Downtown), Pizza Bianco (Downtown), North (Downtown / Scottsdale)
Mexican - Taco Guild (Downtown), The Mission (Old Town Scottsdale), Los Taquitos (Ahwatukee), Elote Cafe (Sedona, but well worth the trip)
Sushi - Sakana (Ahwatukee)

Good call on those places. I went to Elote like 4 days ago. Stayed in Sedona for a few days. Went to The Mission for my birthday. Sakana is great and right next to my gym.

I lived in Arizona for 25 years. Was born in upstate NY and my whole family, including grandparents, decided to move to AZ when I was very little. I was recently transferred to Chicago almost 2 years ago, but I still call AZ home, even though there are things I miss and things that I don't!

Arizona was very different in the 90s. There were less freeways, no 101 to catch the 51 and so on. Track homes were all the rage, Pulte Homes being one out of the many that bought tons of land and slapped hundreds of houses upon it, so close together you could see the inside of someone else's home from your bedroom window. These kinds of homes still happen in AZ even now, tiled roofs and stucco exteriors, but back then it was kind of like the American Dream of the 90s in the desert. At least, that's what it felt like as a kid.

I miss that house so much! Two-story with a huge backyard. Pebbletec pool. Most of the yard was grass which took a lot of work considering the weather, but we also of course had lots of river rock, too. Arizona is one of those places where just throwing a ton of rock in your backyard is acceptable and fashionable. It's weird seeing all the green here in Illinois. What a difference!

Heat stroke is no joke. I remember one time in my early twenties, just relaxing outside by the pool in the summer, drinking margaritas all day. Passed out, ended up throwing up like crazy! The tequila and the 110 degree day didn't mix so well. I still have to be careful with tequila now, ever since then.

There's a not so fancy Japanese restaurant on Scottsdale/Miller Rd. called Dozo (long o, you know what I mean) that I used to go to all the time. Really good food there. Oreganos was also a favorite, Tandoori Times, Pizza Picasso, Mellow Mushroom, Pita Jungle.

Bookmans which you guys have talked about is really cool. Bought a lot of older games there that I needed in my collection!

I used to go to this club called Sanctum when I was into that scene for a bit. I avoided Old Town like the plague. Didn't like the people there. Arizona has an interesting variety of people that's for sure. Are Juicy Couture velvet workout clothes there still a thing? I remember the mom's with their pink pants and zip up tight hoodies embellished with rhinestones, tons of makeup and spray tans, carrying their chihuahuas all over town.

Anyone here from AZ remember Smitty's? :)

blackflag

I was born here. Actually at Williams A.F.B. Which is now just an airport. I've been back and forth through the years and lived all over the world but I've been back in AZ for the last 14.

I live in Awhatukee

Good places to eat: most of the ones mentioned except Filbertos lol. I won't mention the ones already brought up.

Tortilla Fish (fish tacos obv...)
Ginban Sushi on Chandler blvd. near 40th
Gadzooks - amazing place. Enchiladas
Pomegranate Cafe - raw vegan and very good. I'm not vegan but my girlfriend is so I try a lot of these places.
Olive and Ivy in Scottsdale

blackflag

I lived in Arizona for 25 years. Was born in upstate NY and my whole family, including grandparents, decided to move to AZ when I was very little. I was recently transferred to Chicago almost 2 years ago, but I still call AZ home, even though there are things I miss and things that I don't!

Arizona was very different in the 90s. There were less freeways, no 101 to catch the 51 and so on. Track homes were all the rage, Pulte Homes being one out of the many that bought tons of land and slapped hundreds of houses upon it, so close together you could see the inside of someone else's home from your bedroom window. These kinds of homes still happen in AZ even now, tiled roofs and stucco exteriors, but back then it was kind of like the American Dream of the 90s in the desert. At least, that's what it felt like as a kid.

I miss that house so much! Two-story with a huge backyard. Pebbletec pool. Most of the yard was grass which took a lot of work considering the weather, but we also of course had lots of river rock, too. Arizona is one of those places where just throwing a ton of rock in your backyard is acceptable and fashionable. It's weird seeing all the green here in Illinois. What a difference!

Heat stroke is no joke. I remember one time in my early twenties, just relaxing outside by the pool in the summer, drinking margaritas all day. Passed out, ended up throwing up like crazy! The tequila and the 110 degree day didn't mix so well. I still have to be careful with tequila now, ever since then.

There's a not so fancy Japanese restaurant on Scottsdale/Miller Rd. called Dozo (long o, you know what I mean) that I used to go to all the time. Really good food there. Oreganos was also a favorite, Tandoori Times, Pizza Picasso, Mellow Mushroom, Pita Jungle.

Bookmans which you guys have talked about is really cool. Bought a lot of older games there that I needed in my collection!

I used to go to this club called Sanctum when I was into that scene for a bit. I avoided Old Town like the plague. Didn't like the people there. Arizona has an interesting variety of people that's for sure. Are Juicy Couture velvet workout clothes there still a thing? I remember the mom's with their pink pants and zip up tight hoodies embellished with rhinestones, tons of makeup and spray tans, carrying their chihuahuas all over town.

Anyone here from AZ remember Smitty's? :)

Yeah I remember Smitty's. I was born here in '75 lol. In the 80s US60 stopped at power and that whole area and most of what is now Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa was orchards, cotton fields, or used to raise cattle.

Yeah I remember Smitty's. I was born here in '75 lol. In the 80s US60 stopped at power and that whole area and most of what is now Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa was orchards, cotton fields, or used to raise cattle.

It's crazy! I remember Union Hills being practically underdeveloped. The amount of property going in even near the White Tanks is incredible. Did they ever rebuild Rawhide?

RetroMG

All right, not on my phone anymore.

I'm Retro, and I was born and raised here in Tucson, AZ. I lived in and around Pittsburgh, PA for a few years, then came back home to the desert. Currently I'm a full time student at an online college, studying Information Technology.

I'm totally down for a meetup. I especially like Pizza or Japanese as ideas.

While I'm currently living in Colorado, I grew up in Tucson and went to school in Phoenix. If you're ever in Tucson and you want a great hole-in-the-wall breakfast place, I highly recommend Brawley's Restaurant. Their food is real good and crazy cheap. $1.95 for two eggs, hashbrowns and toast.

This place used to be at Broadway and Wilmot, right? They just started tearing that shopping center apart. The Burger King got bulldozed and another, nicer BK got put in next to it. (However, they still can't ever get my order right.) I was wondering what happened to it when they tore that building down. I guess it moved, according to your link.

Have you guys ever heard of Yuma

It's the last stop on the way home from Disneyland! It's a stark reminder that we've left all magic and goodness behind and returned to the real world.

I was going to suggest Katana Games as a good place for a meetup, because they had a back room with gaming systems that people could rent out, but apparently they have now closed. Shame.

Having just spent 4 days in Indiana with the humidity, I'll take the dry heat any time.

I moved out here in 99 for school and never left. I'm currently living in Chandler. I think geographically it is a boring place to live. It is just a giant grid with strip malls on all the corners. If I ever move to some place else in the valley, it would be someplace next to a mountain. I love the chaotic feel of some of the neighborhoods there with the winding streets.

I live in one of those neighborhoods that was talked about here already. The houses are like 5 feet apart, stucco, backyard just big enough for a pool, etc. I don't mind it, my neighbors for the most part are interesting people. 2 of the houses have immigrants and they are very friendly. Also, fuck grass, my whole yard is rock/dirt.

legacyzero

Banned
Might be visiting ya'll real soon. Still not sure about a relocation, yet, but I may be coming down to check out the scene for about 6 weeks, just to see how it is. Unfortunately it will probably be during the fall, so I wont be able to experience that "dry heat".

Nephtis

Might be visiting ya'll real soon. Still not sure about a relocation, yet, but I may be coming down to check out the scene for about 6 weeks, just to see how it is. Unfortunately it will probably be during the fall, so I wont be able to experience that "dry heat".

Go into any gym, and ask to use the dry sauna.

Best Arizona simulator.

Nephtis

All right, not on my phone anymore.

I'm Retro, and I was born and raised here in Tucson, AZ. I lived in and around Pittsburgh, PA for a few years, then came back home to the desert. Currently I'm a full time student at an online college, studying Information Technology.

I'm totally down for a meetup. I especially like Pizza or Japanese as ideas.

My man. Fellow IT nerd. as for Japanese, it's great you mentioned Wilmot -- have you been to Sachiko on Speedway and Wilmot? It's by the Trader Joes.

Best toro I've ever had in town.

I live over in Ahwatukee ("The Tuke") near South Mountain. I've been in AZ for roughly 30 years. Parents dragged me out here in the middle of summer. I love this state for 4 months a year, don't like it for 6, and tolerate it the rest of the time! Hiking here is amazing and the sunsets are great, but it's hard living in an oven sometimes.

lem0n

I live over in Ahwatukee ("The Tuke") near South Mountain. I've been in AZ for roughly 30 years. Parents dragged me out here in the middle of summer. I love this state for 4 months a year, don't like it for 6, and tolerate it the rest of the time! Hiking here is amazing and the sunsets are great, but it's hard living in an oven sometimes.
I love driving South Mountain. It's like my Miata was made for those roads!

BamfMeat

Hi. I live in Phoenix. I've been here since '06. I'm ready to move out :) From Michigan originally.

As for food places, they recently built a Teharu conveyor belt sushi place near my work, so I've been going there a lot.

If you dig Teharu, check out Sushi Station - there's one on camelback and one up north. Hands down best revolving sushi in Phoenix. And their rolls aren't just variations of a California roll like Teharu's is :-/

Cornish Pasty is one of the biggest hipster places around - which is why a good friend of mine and I are there every week :D Also, all the dudes have beards so I get to drool over them. Chino Bandito is amazing. If you're in Glendale or N. Phoenix, for Mexican, my family LOVES Popo's. There was also La Tolteca that was around for like, 100 years or so but it burnt down :( That was in a Super Seedy Area too. Loved it!

Ugh what else can I say about here? The Phoenix Zoo is kinda cool - the Wildlife World Zoo is better, IMO. Chandler mall is cool. AZ Mills not as much but it's not bad. I live downtown near the Childrens Museum. Van Buren is known for it's hookers, luckily I live on the less-seedy side.

The hubs is uniformed service so we CAN go out to Luke but we haven't yet. I've never been on a base, it's one of the things I want to do. I have a military ID just haven't gone out there because I hear it's a pain in the butt to actually get onto base, even with an ID.

Anyway... Yeah :D

bill0527

Fantastic thread.

I've been thinking of moving to AZ but I just don't know where.

I've lived almost my entire 41 years in southern Indiana and I am done with winters. If I never see another snowflake in my life I would be ecstatic. I have developed seasonal depression during the winter and it gets worse every year. I can no longer take dreary day after dreary day for months on end. I was almost suicidal this past winter because of it.

I was in AZ back in 2007. Visited my sis in law in Scottsdale and drove up to the Grand Canyon.

I'm just not sure where to live. My wife is a small town kind of girl. But she's also an ER doctor and the breadwinner. I don't believe they have hospitals in the middle of small desert towns so I'm not sure where she would work. I work in real estate and can always get my license out there to keep doing what I am doing.

I've looked at a lot of the smaller towns that look appealing, like Sedona or Prescott. Somewhere in the central of the state in a valley where you can escape the oppressive heat.

Any suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom