• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want less tiddies and more plot? We got u

ResoRai

Usually when I see an anime thread it's about how horrible anime has become lol. Recent one about fanservice got me thinking. Hadn't watched anime for a while, but I recently started watching a lot of it, so when I see the sentiment i'm like what?! have you not seen this? That?
But then I remember all dem tiddies and panty shots when I was a teen heh. No doubt it still continues in newer anime, I just haven't been watching it.
If your'e looking for some decent anime, here's some i'd recommend. Feel free to share some, peeps

It's older (2002?-2015?), but I can't not recommend Hajime No Ippo lol
47245fb608dd8cfffb2f5b4d39ebe0fb1380929548_full.jpg
Dude goes from being bullied to a great boxer. Has some really awesome characters and good character development (even the antagonists). The fights are really intense and the anime is really funny. Has those feels too. I cheered during some fights haha.

My Hero Academia:
A world full of super heroes with powers known as "quirks" protect the world from evil. A quirk-less guy goes through some tough biz, but strives to become the greatest super hero, like All Might (the current greatest super hero).

Gate: (Edit: My B there's fanservice)
Focuses on the Japan Self Defense Force helping peeps out from another world after some type of portal opens in Tokyo, I believe. The portal led to a world set in the middle ages I think (with magic). Has great characters and the focus on the military squad and what they go through is something that makes this anime unique I think. They fight, share culture, solve problems, and create bonds and shit. And there's dragons.

One Punch Man:
A regular old guy became the strongest hero who can defeat anyone with one punch. Although bored, he fights evil all the time, yet no one knows who he is. He's not mysterious or anything he just doesn't get credit for anything lol. Really funny show about heroes and villains with doooope fights.

Haikyuu:
About a short dude that can jump really high who wants to play volleyball and become as great as the little giant (another short dude who can jump really high). Fantastic characters/ character development and dope volleyball matches. A lot of feels too. I actually cheered a few times here aswell haha.

Your Lie in April:
I watched some of this a while back, but from what I remember this anime had a beautiful art style, animation, and music. About a boy who grew up playing the piano (pretty muched forced) who became somewhat of a child prodigy. Lost his ability and desire to as he grew older due to some sad biz, until he met a girl who plays the violin and she pushes him to play again.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Great recommendations.

I'd also like to add the following:

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Space Battleship Yamoto 2199
Steins;Gate
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Rurouni Kenshin OVAs (such an underrated OST: https://youtu.be/pDh_eRhPqUU)
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun

Betty

Banned
My Hero Academia has a few fan service moments though, it practically starts off showing a giant woman posing in a skin tight outfit oogled by a bunch of pervs.

Anyway my offerings are

33657.jpg

Hunter x Hunter has such scant fan service in it's 100+ episodes you can count the instances on one hand.

MV5BNDc0NDYxZGMtNjg0Ny00ZjNhLWEzZTAtZmU1YjFiNGM5MzNiL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc2NjA5MTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Again the fan service is almost non existent, you're actually far more likely to see fan service of male characters.

3816791_249px.jpg

Very limited fan service and classic, old school anime

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ping Pong
From the New World
Baccano!
Mononoke
One Punch Man
Kids on the Slope
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Aku no Hana
Dennou Coil
Girls und Panzer
Nichijou
Space Dandy
Shingeki no Bahamut
Steins;Gate
Yuri on Ice

Are all shows I've seen in recent memory with little to no fanservice that I really enjoyed. There's a lot of stuff out there. Don't let the one or two things you dislike about anime be the reason you never fully discover such a beautiful and powerful medium.

SalvaPot

My Hero Academia has a few fan service moments though, it practically starts off showing a giant woman posing in a skin tight outfit oogled by a bunch of pervs.

Anyway my offerings are

33657.jpg

Hunter x Hunter has such scant fan service in it's 100+ episodes you can count the instances on one hand.

MV5BNDc0NDYxZGMtNjg0Ny00ZjNhLWEzZTAtZmU1YjFiNGM5MzNiL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc2NjA5MTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Again the fan service is almost non existent, you're actually far more likely to see fan service of male characters.

3816791_249px.jpg

There is a lot of fan service in this series, but its mostly for the ladies ;).

Anyway, I want to recommend Gintama. Its a comedy series with serious arcs, and the best, strongest female characters in all of japanese media. And the fan service is played for laughs.

1909.jpg

jwk94

But OPM has Puri Puri Prisoner
and the witch chick
! Real talk, I definitely recommend that show to anyone and everyone. It's very light on the fan servicey moments.

Nepenthe

Been watching Hajime no Ippo. What "fan service" is there is limited to oggling of oblivious women, which manages to help characterize the cast as typical guys without crossing over into something eye-rolling like Brock territory, particularly since it's coupled with them being fairly open with male-based sexual humor (poor Ippo). I don't get the feeling that the women in the series are there for the audience, but that they just happen to be in and around a line of business with teenage horn dogs. It's acceptable within that context, especially since it's all a relatively minor part of what's ultimately an awesome shonen series with brutal boxing. Good shtuff. Once I finish Sword of the Stranger now, I'll probably get back into it. xD

Permanently A

Anyway my offerings are

33657.jpg

3816791_249px.jpg

these three anime are basically my entire life

I fucking love them so much

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I need to know the ~uguu~ and fan service quotients of any animu before I will consider watching it. If those quotients are noticeable, then I'm out.

iammeiam

I am extremely old so here are some pre-2000 anime that probably won't get recommended by anyone else:

The Legend of Black Heaven (Kacho-Ōji)

Once upon a time, Oji went by Gabriel and was the lead guitarist in a heavy metal band called "Black Heaven". Fifteen years later, he's married to a fan, has a kid, and living the salaryman life. Things are boring, until suddenly a hot chick shows up and tells him his guitar playing is needed to power an interstellar weapon to win a galactic war. There's some fan service in bits, but no moe stuff and in a lot of ways the fan service is the point (the hot alien chick recruiting Oji is obviously used to represent having an affair, etc.)

It's a pretty decent series that uses the whole alien rock thing to power a story about a man torn between his boring family life and his past rocker days.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Little girl gets in trouble. Little girl is rescued by a Prince. She's so awe-struck by him she vows to also grow up to be a Prince. Flowers, surrealism, awesome music, duels, a lot of unhealthy family relationships, etc. Was a pretty big deal back when it came out; also has a movie retelling which... gets pretty weird. Big spoiler for a late movie scene, but there's a transformation sequence where somebody enters a carwash and comes out a car. Which I guess technically has nudity?

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Space comedy about a lazy layabout who inadvertently resolves a terrorist situation and ends up with command of his own ship of rejects and seems to keep failing upward. It's pretty entertaining, decently funny, strong cast.

Very little fanservice, never the focus. Mainly limited to the old uniform designs that fans probably would have thrown a fit over if they were changed too drastically.

Yamato_2199.jpg

Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Earth is getting blown up by an alien race using asteroid bombs so they can take over. Mankind has about one year to live before the planet is inhospitable. Another group of aliens are like "hey we'll help you reverse the damage to your planet, but we're really far away so we'll send someone with the tech to get you to us", and humans are like "k". Using the alien tech, they build a cool spaceship (that is totally not the actual Yamato, at least not this time), select a crew, and off they go, racing against time to retrieve the tech to save Earth.

Dirca

But....why do you need plot when you got dem ti-tahs? If the sweater yams are great and abundant, I couldn't give 3 shits about plot

might i recommend AnimeGAFs aoty 2013: space battleship yamato 2199. a fantastic sci-fi ride. also highly recomended is thunderbolt fantasy, dont let the puppets fool you, its anime as fuck in a good way.

Mendrox

"no tiddies and fanservice!"

Recommends Ippo with dick and ball jokes every 5th episode, Hero Academia with fanservice in the first minutes and skin colored tight suits, Gate which has elf and witch tits and fanservice and One Punch Man with Tatsumaki and animated ass cheeks and more

lol

Still Ippo and Hero Academia and OPM are great. Still waiting for more Ippo anime. Hope another season will come out soon. Loved Challenger and Rising.

starsky

My recommendation (some of these have been mentioned above):

PHWxgrI.gif

Ping Pong (sport)

LnALi23.gif

Diamond no Ace (baseball sport)

rsJmFbH.gif

Mob Psycho 100 (supernatural comedy)

ttOPHrA.gif

Shinsekai Yori (dis-utopia sci fi)

CbZs6lx.gif

Mushishi (supernatural, chill)

63MrUqT.jpg

Thunderbolt Fantasy (not exactly anime, but it's awesome)

ctVybxk.gif

91 Days (mafia)

Hypron

"no tiddies and fanservice!"

Recommends Ippo with dick and ball jokes every 5th episode, Hero Academia with fanservice in the first minutes and skin colored tight suits, Gate which has elf and witch tits and fanservice and One Punch Man with Tatsumaki and animated ass cheeks and more

lol

What, you mean grabbing your friends' dicks in the shower is not normal? 🤔

KillLaCam

Banned
I want tiddies that arent fanservice though. Like Berserk (1997 or 2012, not that new abomination) Shigurui or even Claymore . The tiddies are there to make you uncomfortable. All are completely devoid of "sillyness"

Berserk01.jpg

ec426b9b369df9635ad341d38624b64d.jpg

Claymore-Hulu-Header.jpg

Top Bottom