• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Up With The Anachronistic Subtitles On Criterion's Yojimbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

I'm watching Akira Kurasawa's Yojimbo (1961) on Filmstruck right now and the subs are weird. People say things like "He bounced outta here" and "he sure has a swank palanquin."

Is this supposed to be some Western cultural approximation of Japanese anachronism in this movie?

Lemaitre

Banned
Thats odd...I don't remember the DVD subs being like that. Are subs on Filmstruck different than the physical discs perhaps?

Fat4all

Banned
WK0cXhu.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm watching Akira Kurasawa's Yojimbo (1961) on Filmstruck right now and the subs are weird. People say things like "He bounced outta here" and "he sure has a swank palanquin."

Is this supposed to be some Western cultural approximation of Japanese anachronism in this movie?

WTF i can't even read thread because upset

"Swank" was actually an archaic word that somehow came into popular use in modern times. It may not perfectly align with the feel of shogunate Japan but, timewise, close enough.

New translation with the Bluray edition a few years ago, which I'd assume is the same as what streams on Filmstruck. I don't know Japanese, but the original film was heavily inspired by Dashiell Hammet book "Red Harvest", so that might have something to do with the dialogue.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
OP is asking if the way they talk in the original Japanese dialogue is in any way equivalent to those sentences, and if that was a stylistic choice for the movie.

I don't know Japanese so I can't clarify, but I'm curious too.

Dali

I've gotta check out yojimbo because this sounds like samurai champloo, lol.

Dazza

Hmmm I don't remember any weird arse translations like that when I watched Yojimbo many years ago. I doubt the Japanese in it is like that

Hmmm I should watch my bluray copy and see if it's in that version. I don't remember lines like that, but it's been like 4 years since I've watched Yojimbo.

Forkball

How is Filmstruck by the way? How much of the Criterion Collection is on that thing? Is it only stuff like Seven Samurai and 8 1/2 or are really obscure films on there as well?

I've always found English subs of Japanese dialogue tend to be a little more 'colourful' than what's literally being said. 'Hai' and 'iie' are often shown as any number of more interesting synonyms instead of just 'yes' and 'no' all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom