• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

Avocado

Darth Kupi said:
As long as there is an option for "USE DEFAULT CHARACTER MODELS" or something.

No, I don't care about your super special skin/hat/whatever.

I just want to see a standard hero set when I watch my screen.

Case in point: HoN's alt skins, which are often completely different from their regular models.

I don't like guessing what I'm up against.

And yes, it gets better with time, but I still want the option not to be distracted by that crap.

What would be the purpose of buying skins/hats if noone else can see that you spent money on it?

That is why special skins that only you can see simply don't sell.

However, I have much more trust in Valve than S2 to not fuck it up.

It's also worth pointing out that the instant recognition sort of thing is really important to Valve. See: TF2's character silhouettes. Yes, the hats and weapons and shit are goofy, but it's still immediately obvious what each class is at all times.

The task becomes ridiculously more difficult in a game like Dota 2, with over 100 different characters, each with their own set of moves and particle effects and sound effects and etc., but I do not believe that they will sacrifice gameplay for hats.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Togglesworlh said:
It's also worth pointing out that the instant recognition sort of thing is really important to Valve. See: TF2's character silhouettes. Yes, the hats and weapons and shit are goofy, but it's still immediately obvious what each class is at all times.

The task becomes ridiculously more difficult in a game like Dota 2, with over 100 different characters, each with their own set of moves and particle effects and sound effects and etc., but I do not believe that they will sacrifice gameplay for hats.
The character silhouettes in TF2 got trashed ages ago. Valve has already spoken. They think people care more about obscene flaming hats than gameplay, and obviously the numbers imply that their customers feel the same way.

Uriah

Dance In My Blood said:
The character silhouettes in TF2 got trashed ages ago. Valve has already spoken. They think people care more about obscene flaming hats than gameplay, and obviously the numbers imply that their customers feel the same way.

The character silhouettes in TF2 still function. Every class is distinct and easy to tell apart from a distance, even with hats.

Avocado said:
What would be the purpose of buying skins/hats if noone else can see that you spent money on it?

That is why special skins that only you can see simply don't sell.

However, I have much more trust in Valve than S2 to not fuck it up.

Dance In My Blood said:

Togglesworlh said:
DENIED.

You will most likely be shit outta luck, unless you want to get into the nitty gritty of custom models.

If that's the case, well I guess I will have to get into nitty-gritty modding my game then.

Its sad that I'm already planning circumventing this crap, on a game that's not been released yet.

:(

Uriah said:
The character silhouettes in TF2 still function. Every class is distinct and easy to tell apart from a distance, even with hats.
No way dude, I can't tell the difference between a Spy and a Heavy anymore. The very tops of their heads are different, so the bottom 90% of the silhouette and all the different unique identifying animations, poses, and color schemes are now worthless.

Darth Kupi said:
If that's the case, well I guess I will have to get into nitty-gritty modding my game then.

Its sad that I'm already planning circumventing this crap, on a game that's not been released yet.

:(
I don't really think it'll be that bad. I'm more worried about the idlers in games for the hat drops, now that's going to suck. Unless they do a system of random drops at the end of a match with a higher chance on win, in that case, enjoy the idling still.

jediyoshi said:
Can people really not tell the difference between the Heavy and Scout?

One has a can of soda, the other has a sandvich. Both are used by your mouth and require a complex system of sciency stuff to make it into energy, needless to say, it's tough telling them apart from that fact alone.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
EmCeeGramr said:
No way dude, I can't tell the difference between a Spy and a Heavy anymore. The very tops of their heads are different, so the bottom 90% of the silhouette and all the different unique identifying animations, poses, and color schemes are now worthless.
I don't really understand what you're trying to do here.

Obviously the Heavy is very distinct, but the rest of the TF2 cast is pretty similar in terms of their build, and find variation in their exaggerated facial features and heads. This is obviously something Valve spent a lot of time with, or they wouldn't have bothered to have such extensive facial animations in the game.

Hats, accessories, and new items radically alter the animations, poses, and color schemes of all the TF2 characters. So while you're trying to be sarcastic or something, the reality is that this:
f70cc3cacb17b02bca1d51c250584c33cc0cd22c.jpg

varies wildly from the original:
4d4222e1868a54b922729263d6be956491ca1baa.jpg

It is a different silhouette, it has different colors, animations, and poses. So yes, the additional attachable items in TF2 have had a dramatic impact on easily reading opponents. A yellow helmet no longer means "Hey, that's an Engineer," it could be any class. A lot of people like collecting stuff in TF2, and it has been an effective business model, but to pretend that it has had no effect on the visual style of the game is silly.

parasight

People seriously get confused as to what classes they see, based on the various items in TF2? I can't think of one instance in my hundreds of hours playing, where I mistakenly took one class for another. Neither of those demoman pictures look anything like any other class. Both poses are distinct to that class.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Tinker's backstory:

Tinker's diminutive race is known for its intelligence, its cunning, and its prickly relationship with magic. As a matter of pride, the survive by their wits, and use only those powers of nature that may be unlocked through rational methodologies. Even this forbearance has led to a great deal of trouble, as Tinker can attest. Once a key investigator of natural law, Tinker led a vast intellectual investigation into the workings of nature, founding a subterranean laboratory in the rumored, mist-wreathed wastes of the Violet Plateau. While scorning mages for the dangers they visit upon the world, Tinker and his associates haughtily wrenched open a portal to some realm beyond comprehension and ushered in some nightmares of their own. A black mist rose from the cavernous interior of the Violet Plateau, shrouding it in permanent darkness from which sounds of horror perpetually emanate. Tinker escaped with only his wits and the contraptions he carried, the sole survivor of the Violet Plateau Incident.

DOTA 2 IS EPISODE 3!!!!!

parasight said:
People seriously get confused as to what classes they see, based on the various items in TF2? I can't think of one instance in my hundreds of hours playing, where I mistakenly took one class for another. Neither of those demoman pictures look anything like any other class. Both poses are distinct to that class.
One time I saw a soldier with a viking helmet and thought it was a scout.

Sibylus

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Obviously the Heavy is very distinct, but the rest of the TF2 cast is pretty similar in terms of their build, and find variation in their exaggerated facial features and heads. This is obviously something Valve spent a lot of time with, or they wouldn't have bothered to have such extensive facial animations in the game.
Not even close to the truth.

Shadows1.jpg

These are older designs for some of them, particularly the Demoman (rightmost class), but the principle is the same and remains. IDing the classes has never had much to do with the heads of the classes, as you can see they're soft differentiators at best. The shaping and cladding of the head is a footnote in the terms of the silhouettes, it's all about body size and proportions, outer lines and volume. The game is as instantly readable as it has always been, because the items' alteration of silhouette is slight. What the items alter a great deal is the "flavor" of the class (colour/shape of the face and head regions, etc), but flavor was a secondary identifier to begin with and never all that strong. The Silhouette has been and remains king.

If Valve were to issue long cloaks, voluminous costumes, or alternate character models entirely, that would have the effect of destroying the silhouetting.

Aside: the extensive facial animations tech existed before TF2 was completed, it was pioneered in HL2 and the episodes and then used for Team Fortress to aid fleshing out the personalities of the characters.

Forkball

Nice to see that Valve isn't taking the "lore" seriously. I like well-established fantasy worlds, but sometimes it just gets too damn crazy *coughwarcraftlorecough*

n0b

Dance In My Blood said:
Hats, accessories, and new items radically alter the animations, poses, and color schemes of all the TF2 characters. So while you're trying to be sarcastic or something, the reality is that this:

varies wildly from the original:

It is a different silhouette, it has different colors, animations, and poses. So yes, the additional attachable items in TF2 have had a dramatic impact on easily reading opponents. A yellow helmet no longer means "Hey, that's an Engineer," it could be any class. A lot of people like collecting stuff in TF2, and it has been an effective business model, but to pretend that it has had no effect on the visual style of the game is silly.

The first example you gave was of a class that looks different when it is PLAYED different. Its helpful that the pose and silhouette are different because it poses a completely different threat than a normal demoman!

I don't see a yellow helmet and think "engineer," I see a short class, in overalls, with a different posture, carrying around a shotgun or a toolbox, in close proximity to deployables. LIKE I ALWAYS HAVE.

The classes are still quite distinct and the items do not change that at all.

Sibylus

Banned
markot said:
If you cant tell a class in TF2 then.... I dont know wat say >_>
I'm equally stunned by the assertion that removing the Engineer's hard hat means he could be confused with any other class in the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
On alternate models: You'll have no trouble recognizing them if the models are even halfway competent, if HoN is any indication.

Corto

This is what has become of us. Data mining game clients sniffing for a hint of Episode 3. It must be a running joke at Valve by now...

Gabe: "Hey Lombardi?! Throw a bone in the DOTA 2 game client to those wacko nerds."

Lombardi: "Do you want some potatoes with that or just more hats?"

Gabe: "Hats. Lots of them."

Lombardi and Gabe: "Muahuahuahuahua"

Buzzati said:
Can someone explain the "Shitty Wizard" thing? Is it a meme or something?
Idle Thumbs podcast. I suspect someone at Valve is a fan of Idle Thumbs.

If I recall correctly, "shitty wizards" in particular spawned from discussion about Magicka, although I'm not 100% on that.

Either that or they just hate wizards.

Buzzati

Banned
Togglesworlh said:

If I recall correctly, "shitty wizards" in particular spawned from discussion about Magicka, although I'm not 100% on that.

Ahh. Thank you. ;)

Yeef

Placeholders are awesome. They need to be saved and archived for later use.

Also, as far as the TF2 silhouette side discussion is concerned: the silhouettes and animations are the primary ways to tell the classes apart at a glance. The items don't change that. I've never confused one class for another. You're more likely to confuse teams than you are classes, and barring a dark map, it's pretty hard to confuse team colors.

n0b

Togglesworlh said:

The torchlight wizard, after he broke their super item after playing enchantment roulette, was "the shitty wizard."

Sibylus

Banned
dragonlife said:
Do a lot of the male voice actors sound the same to everyone else? That "shitty wizard" YT vid sure made it seem like it.
John Patrick Lowrie (Ellen McLain's husband) went in to Valve and did voice work for seven heroes a while back. Storm Spirit and Pudge are two of those, wouldn't be surprised if they got him to do more as well.

Togglesworlh said:

It comes from the Enchanting guy in Torchlight who can wipe the mods on your item when he fails an enchant.

It was part of a larger ongoing meme about "the Wizard" which started when Diablo 3 announced the Wizard class and people complained about the name.

I miss the old Valve head, not to mention the cooler looking valve on the guy. They have a bunch of people from WETA digital, why can't they preserve the old one and animate it?

2004 Fat Laurence Fishburne --> 2011 Cee-lo Green

n0b said:
The torchlight wizard, after he broke their super item after playing enchantment roulette, was "the shitty wizard."
Ah, yeah, that's right. I think Magicka was a "shitty wizard simulator", though?

Gino

You guys should know that these models are changing pretty constantly. There was a while where valve was putting in new models every few days so I wouldn't think any of this is anywhere near final.

azuki said:
what if u get items like bf, manta, eaglehorn, etc?

i think it will depend on which item slot your weapon is and if it makes sense. I guess melee heros dont need to equip eaglehorn ^^ would look strange if they melee other heros with a bow

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://nogamenotalk.com/2011/09/20/...gional-matchmaking-hints-at-custom-item-shop/

Game Modes

All of the common game modes from Dota Allstars are carried forward into Dota 2 without any changes, with the exception of -dm Death Match mode, which has been renamed to Death Mode. The other game modes don’t appear in the localisation strings.

All Pick: Everyone may pick from all available heroes
Single Draft: Three different heroes are offered to each player
All Random: Every player gets a random hero
Random Draft: Choose from 22 random heroes
Captains Draft: Captains alternate 1/1/1/1 ban picks. It then goes into a 1/2/2/2/2/1 hero draft
Captains Mode: Each captain removes up to 4 heroes. After that you enter the 1/2/2/ pick phase
Death Mode: If you die, you will have to pick a new hero once you can respawn
Easy Mode: Towers are weaker, experience is gained faster, and you get more periodic gold

Ah, what would a game be without achievements. The achievements revealed through the localisation strings are very basic, but that’s probably because the game is still in beta.

Vegetarian: Consume 3 trees using Tangoes.
First One’s Free: Complete your first game of Dota 2
Just A Taste: Participate in 10 games
Addicted: Participate in 100 games
I Can Quit Anytime: Participate in 1000 games
Party Time!: Complete a game while in a matchmaking party

The localisation strings and other text also show strong signs that there will be custom wearable items included in Dota 2. These will be similar to Team Fortress 2 items, with provision for item levels, item rarity and item titles that changes as you gain number of kills built into the game.

One of the items specifically mentioned in the localisation strings are effects that will customise the look of hexes. You’ll be able to change them from the default of sheep to chicken, frog or a cheese (!). The files also make mention of custom weapons for the Antimage, custom shoulderpads for Beastmaster and a Top Hat for Axe (!).

Top Bottom