• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're favorite works inspired by H.P. Lovecraft?

Mine is The Thing. Generic pick but a classic. Really captures the horror and madness that embodies most Lovecraftian works. I'll probably watch it again for Halloween! 😁

norm9

a63c77cce3f9ff86a82a32959aa54e7a--dagon-sci-fi.jpg

DAGON. I think it's still on netflix.

I like the stuff of his that really hit home the science fiction nature of the horrorible universe he's created. Like that one where a guy body jumps into an alien, the name escapes me atm

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
everyone needs to buy iLovecraft

http://iclassicscollection.com/en/project/ilovecraft/

absolutely amazing. I can't believe the incredible job this company has done.

I know it's not "inspired by"... but damn.. talk about the perfect way to expose someone new to the mythos.

Mostly I'm going to go with either Event Horizon or In the Mouth of Madness. To incredible horror masterpieces from the 90s.

XShagrath

For films, The Thing is definitely up there.

However, my favorite works inspired by Lovecraft would be the Arkham Files games by Fantasy Flight Games, especially the Arkham Horror: Card Game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Definitely Eldritch Horror for a globe trotting game, and Arkham Horror LCG for a highly narrative driven game. And obviously the grand daddy, Call of Cthulhu RPG (which I just picked up the slipcase 7th edition at GenCon)

Never played Bloodbourne so I guess I have to go with From the Mouth of Madness. There really arent that many great lovecraftian works out there.

Matsukaze

Came here for Bloodborne lol

Such as? I haven't read any of the books :p
The Black Goat of Qohor is a nod to Shub-Niggurath, the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young.

Certain aspects of the Iron Islands culture/the Drowned God/House Greyjoy stuff are a nod to Cthulhu and Dagon.

Luminaire

Bloodborne. No contest.

I find myself being unimpressed by most Cosmic Horror / Lovecraftian modern works otherwise. I truly wish I could find something that touched on those themes without trying too hard to be the next Lovecraft.

g11

Bloodborne is my favorite. The Thing lacks the ritual of Lovecraft so I still consider it it's own thing. The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was pretty good in it's day but I watched a let's play recently and it doesn't hold up. The Shrouded Isle is pretty cool. There's an anthology called Shadows Over Baker Street that are basically shorts of Sherlock Holmes x Lovecraft. I only ever read the Neil Gaiman one but it was alright. Apparently Frogwares made a Sherlock Holmes game in a similar vein called Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, but I've never played it.

Anung

Un Rama
Junji Ito.

H.P. Lovecraft's The Hound and Other Stories by Gou Tanabe is a great manga adaptation of Lovecrafts stuff.

Top Bottom